Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,094MI6 Agent

You're in for a fun ride with BREAKING BAD. You'll be happy to know that it sticks the landing and goes out in a satisfying way.

When you're done with that, you'll want to start BETTER CALL SAUL. It's just as good as BB in my opinion. The final season of that hits in a few months.

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,646MI6 Agent

Thanks Gymkata, I'll plow on with it.

Last night I caught first two episodes of The Killing, I mean The Promise, on BBC4. It's the sort of scandal-noir they like doing, only this is set in France so it's Franco-Noir I guess. On the face of it it's the same kind of thing we've seen in other stuff, inter-generational , nasty crime gong back decades. Investigated by a persistent borderline obsessive woman cop with brunette hair, going against her bosses' will and not being on her own turf, it's a lot like The Killing really but I feel mean saying it because I did enjoy it, it's good stuff, kind of therapeutic in an odd way.

The drawback here is that we are looking at the abuction of young girls and we get to see it from the kid's point of view so it is distressing really, often these kind of crimes are investigated after the fact. I can't envisage a UK thriller being done like that, it's too close to the bone with recent abductions of the last 20 years. Not suggesting the French wouldn't get upset either, I think the media there might play it differently, I don't know.

Anyway, it's only 6 episodes or so unlike The Killing which I enjoyed but it really did mean a long haul investment and it turned out to be a shaggy dog story.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

We plowed through REACHER on Amazon Prime over the past few days. Pretty fun show. If you've seen BANSHEE and/or JUSTIFIED and want to see something in a similar vein, give REACHER a go. It's not as good as those other two but it'll scratch the same itch.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 4,661MI6 Agent

I finished Reacher last night and thought it was excellent - as @Gymkata says above, if you like Banshee you will love Reacher, but in my opinion (and this is where no one is right or wrong, as it is just personal opinion) it is far superior to Justified, which quickly became average.

I also saw an episode of The Saint, Island Of Chance, (S5 E22), which was very Bondian - it had a scene which mimicked DN, where Templar was threatened by a creature in bed - a snake not a spider - even feeling nauseous after killing it, and it also reminded me of the snake in the bathroom scene in LALD, David Bauer (Morton Slumber) was in it, there is a character called Vargas, and Goldfinger is mentioned! I’m enjoying this series, there is hardly an episode that goes by without some sort of Bond connection and although I would have seen most of them as a kid, I barely remember any of them.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

As a quick heads up to those of you who have TCM (Turner Classic Movies): They're doing a 24 hour marathon of Sidney Poitier movies today/tonight.

Here's the lineup, all with US Central Timezone start times:

Saturday:

7pm: IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

9pm: THE DEFIANT ONES

11pm: A WARM DECEMBER

Sunday:

1am: CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY

3am: SOMETHING OF VALUE

5:15am: GOODBYE, MY LADY

7:15am: EDGE OF THE CITY

9am: NO WAY OUT

11am: BLACKBOARD JUNGLE

1pm: TO SIR, WITH LOVE

3pm: LILIES OF THE FIELD

5pm: A PATCH OF BLUE

That's a great stack of movies. I'd have also put SNEAKERS, A RAISIN IN THE SUN, and GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER in there...with SHOOT TO KILL as a late night fun entry.

MAGPIE MURDERS (2022)

Anthony Horowitz has adapted his own novel into a wonderful whodunnit series of 6 episodes. A writer of a detective series of books is found dead at his mansion, and the last chapter of his latest book that he sent to his publisher is missing. The answer to his death is lies in the unfinished manuscript. Lesley Manville is marvellous as the editor who solves the crime. Lots of flashbacks as we learn of those who have a grudge against the author. The whole thing is played out with the help of the fictional detective, you have to see it to understand how, but it is an ingenious ploy and although it can sometimes be a little confusing this is top notch stuff and highly recommended.

It’s a BritBox original - only viewable with a subscription to the streaming site, but I’m hoping it will get played by one of the terrestrial channels at some point because it’s too good to be confined to a minority audience.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,585MI6 Agent

I'm sure it's discussed elsewhere on the board, but I'm looking forward to The Ipcress File remake starting Sunday. Looks very good.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 1,980MI6 Agent

Yes. The Ipcress File might be worth a look. Unfortunately, I forgot I was going to reread the novel in preparation for this one, so I'll have to do everything the wrong way around.

I don't know about 'good' but the final season of Killing Eve started in the UK this weekend. It was more of the same. The constant interjection of indie songs on the soundtrack, the lyrics supposedly corresponding to the text or subtext of the action on screen - nominally the tortured expressions on the faces of the three female leads - just got more and more annoying as the 45-minutes progressed. Nowhere near as interesting as the first series.

Interesting to see how closely they follow the book or whether they go after the film version. The book didn't have the name 'Harry Palmer' or any name, he didn't have glasses either. The book takes the lead character to Greece at one point, I think America another time, it's an odd read imo and it took my years to really complete it. It turns out like a particular episode of The Avengers I once saw, it's not quite like the film at all.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,388MI6 Agent

so did anybody watch this new version of The Ipcress File?

don't forget we have a dedicated Harry Palmer thread

Christmas Day 1985 - Moonraker and Minder On The Orient Express - now that’s what I call decent scheduling 😁

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,811MI6 Agent
    edited March 7

A very British scandal (2021)

You may have seen "A very English scandal" starring Hugh Grant and Ben Wishaw. This new mini-series isn't a sequel, but more of a follow-up. It's about the very scandalous marriage and divorse of the duke (Paul Bettany) and dutchess of (Claire Foy) Argyll back in the 60's. Both were very unfaithful and morally questionable people. The duke even used an early version of so-called "slut-shaming" during the dirty and very public divorce, As one would expect the production is high-quality, especially the acting. It's nice to see Bettany in a series like this one after his time in Marvel movies. It's hard to find anything negative in a series like this, but it has to be all the negative people in it. While we at times feel sympathy for the two leads it's hard to invest much positiv eemotion in them. I guess we can be grateful the producers didn't fall for the temptation of simply making one of them the victim, but he series doesn't make one optimistic about the human condition. Don't get me wrong: "A very British scandal" is a high-quality and very watchable mini-series. What's next? "A very Welsh scandal" and then "A very Irish scandal"?

Re-runs of the first series of The Saint, in black and white, began on Talking Pictures TV yesterday.

Great quality print and a young Roger Moore. Shirley Eaton of GF in this one, but the episode was a bit humdrum and the Saint wasn't in it much, not even sure what his pretext for being involved was. Maybe it will be better next week. hopefully it won't be like The Avengers which really took a while to get going.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,388MI6 Agent

the first Saint episode The Talented Husband is untypical, a murder plot in a quaint English village, and Templar only seems to be in half of it. Hard to figure why they started with this story, though there is one quick scene at the Inn where Templar answers a question about himself and basically explains the whole premise of his character.

Second episode The Latin Touch is almost the prototypical Saint episode, with Templar travelling in Rome, a kidnapped heiress and the local police chief out to get him, so be sure to watch that one. I think the first season was good right from the start, the show immediately finding its identity, except for that odd first episode. Not like the Avengers at all, which is really like two different shows linked by the character of John Steed.

we have a healthy Saint thread over here, full of good info and discussion

I’ve just finished all 10 seasons of Minder (and posted some covers on the Book Covers thead) and it was the right time to end it. After Dennis Waterman left in Season 7 it wasn’t ever as good, the stories did become a bit more gritty as in the first two seasons, but it was the playfulness of seasons 3-7 which worked best, who can forget such fabulous characters as Maltese Tony (played by our own Michael Kitchen) or The Syrup with his Roger Moore wig 😂

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,585MI6 Agent

Quality viewing @CoolHandBond Those were the days. Although, If I remember rightly, Minder lost heavily in the ratings to OFAH - 'To Hull and Back'. No shame there, though. It doesn't get much better than 'To Hull and Back'!

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,591Chief of Staff

Currently enjoying The Witchfinder on BBC2 - from the same people behind Alan Partridge…starring Tim Key and Daisy May Cooper 👍🏻

YNWA 97
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 390MI6 Agent

Recently got into Endeavour (2012-present), which is relatively unknown outside the UK, as were the Morse character and series themselves. Amazing acting by most of the cast, and great recreation of what one imagines the British 60's to have been.

Currently finishing Series 6, which deals with the main cast's opposition and corruption plot lines that have been recurring over time. Will miss it once it's done.

Tried watching the first "Inspector Morse" episode, but lost most interest due to it only being available dubbed. Nice series, though.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."

I dont know if Inspector Morse and Endeavour are really "relatively unknown", theyre broadcast on the PBS Masterpiece Mystery series in the States which we get on cable up in Canada. My mum is always watching these British police shows, both the ones you mention and several more I cant remember. That one on the Caribbean island. another where Luisa from Doc Martin is a detective, and a whole a bunch of others.

Theres so many of them and they seem so popular over here, I suspect theyre like the ITV adventure shows from the 60s: created specifically for export to North America, there may even be more North Americans watching than Brits! I know the Avengers for example was cancelled when American ratings went down.

the few stores round here that still sell dvd's usually have a British TV section, with all these shows. and theyre hella expensive imports, yet somebody must be buying them or they wouldnt be kept in stock

I should have probably said "outside the Anglosphere" rather than the UK, as you're right and these things do get around. That being said, I had seldom read about it until I got into it, as opposed to, say, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Luther or other more popular British series which are more generally discussed. But of course that's just my experience.

edited March 28

British crime fiction has always been popular in Norway, and both Morse and Endevour has been shown on our public broadcaster. I can't speak for the rest of the world (Even though I often feel like it ...... 😅)

OUR HOUSE (2022)

A 4-part series which revolves around a car accident, a looming divorce and blackmail. It starts well with Tuppence Middleton returning home after a few days away and finding strangers moving into her house which has been emptied of all her furniture and belongings. Through flashbacks we get to see how this has happened. Unfortunately, most of the twists are telegraphed way before they are revealed, and the ending, which should have had a huge twist, is limp.

It passes the time adequately enough, but don’t expect too much from this pot boiler.

What We Do In the Shadows (2019-present).

The excellent Taika Waititi mockumentary film is turned into an also excellent Jemaine Clement mockumentary series, and I couldn't be laughing any harder. Matt Berry (of IT Crowd fame) as the ludicrous Laszlo, the discovery that is Colin Robinson, the surprise guest stars and the overt exaggeration of all the cast are a blast for me. Special mention to Harvey Guillén and his rollercoaster of surprises character. In these times we could all use a good laugh, and I recommend this show to that end.

S2 of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS is one of the most perfect seasons of comedy television I've ever seen.

If you like that, you may want to try OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH, now playing on HBO Max. It's not a mockumentary on pirates but it has a similar sense of humor. Taika Waititi is Blackbeard on it. I'm 4 episodes into it and enjoying it quite a bit.

I've read nothing but praise about it, I will certainly check it out soonish. Ahoy, mateys!

As Joshua pointed out earlier, The Horror Channel in the UK is showing The Prisoner at 6pm most nights.

I wish they'd promoted it more.

Tonight's episode - typically offbeat - had Kenneth Griffiths as a mad Napoleon character attempting to blow up London. What struck me was the sheer number of Bond references, or rather things the Bond series took, you noticed something literally every few minutes. In particular as the Secret Agent has to use his own resources to get out of a trap while his adversary taunts him over the tannoy, checking his progress - used in For Your Eyes Only' pre-credits of course. But there are many others, and at times Patrick McGoohan seems a lot like Craig when he is doing his relaxed, laid back persona, seen in Spectre most of all perhaps.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Tonight I too finished watching Magpie Murders. I haven't enjoyed a murder mystery that much in ages! The way a mystery was woven into another mystery was very enjoyable.

BOON (1986-1995)

I hardly watched any TV during my working life and it’s only since retirement that I have been catching up on what I missed. This series turned up on BritBox and I’ve been enjoying the first season. Boon is played by Michael Elphick and he is an ex-fireman forced to take early retirement due to an injury. A friend places an advertisement for him in the local press saying all work considered. So far it’s been good, Boon is a Western fan and several books are displayed in the opening credits, including a J T Edson paperback. Boon also wears a pair of cowboy boots, very similar, if not the same, to ones that I had at the time 😁

I remember selling a tv tie-in paperback of Boon.

I’m watching the latest season of INSIDE NO. 9 on BBC I-player, it is, as usual, brilliant. These half-hour stories with a twist ending are superbly written and acted by Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith. So good that I’m rewatching the whole series from episode one again!

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,550MI6 Agent

I recently discovered Vienna Blood on BBC iPlayer.

Loved it. Watched all 3 series in a few days. Set in Austria around 1907, weathered policeman teams up with young Freudian doctor to solve murders.