(Bond 24) SPECTRE's Opening Credits Theme Song.

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    You should wash there at least once a week 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    This is the first bit of SPECTRE news I'm disappointed with.

I really don't like Sam Smith. Overrated and boring IMO. not my cup of tea.

Still, I wait till I hear it before I pass judgement.

Interesting because I didn't like Adele at all and wasn't happy when she was announced for Skyfall
    How wrong I was!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    What's that like Strangeways ? As I've never been wrong ! :)) :)) :p ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    With the rumours of Radiohead having built my expectations, I'm disappointed. I'll probably end up liking it, but it'll be the same old,same old. It could have been an epic, OK Computer like, dark song.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:

+1
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Hmm, I'm not huge fan of the news but also won't say I'm dissapointed. I'm pretty neutral on this one.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:
    Hmm, I'm not huge fan of the news but also won't say I'm dissapointed. I'm pretty neutral on this one.

Same here. I wasn't a fan of Adele before "Skyfall" and it turned out beautifully. However - Sam Smith's voice is nowhere as awesome as Adele's so I wonder how his song can be potentially better then "Skyfall", which remains the only song in my life that never became boring for me.
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    I know who is singing the Bond song is a big deal, shown by the media coverage of the announcement, but to me it's not overly important. To me, they're sort of seperate from the films.

I don't like QoS and I don't like Another Way To Die, I don't like Die Another Day and I don't like the Madonna song but they're not inter-linked.

As long as the film is excellent, which I think it will be, I'll happily overlook any disappointment about the song.

Of course, the song could be amazing and we could be worrying for nothing. We'll have to wait and see.
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Argh why can't it be called "Spectre"?

It's honestly not hard to write a song called Spectre.

♪"Spectre, they're gunna get ya, Spectre..." ♪
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    The constant rumours about Smith's involvement allowed us to become emotionally prepared for this official announcement, so what's really disappointing to learn is that once again the composer of the score, in this case Thomas Newman, is NOT involved with the song. The title song of a James Bond film is also meant to be a statement of the main theme of the score. This really isn't good enough.
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    The constant rumours about Smith's involvement allowed us to become emotionally prepared for this official announcement, so what's really disappointing to learn is that once again the composer of the score, in this case Thomas Newman, is NOT involved with the song. The title song of a James Bond film is also meant to be a statement of the main theme of the score. This really isn't good enough.

Yeah I fear the theme song won't be integrated into the score
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Bondage007 wrote:

Don't rule it out - if Sam Smith is to be believed (after previously lying about his involvement in the recording of the song) and he did record it in January, there's been plenty of time in the interim for Newman to work in some of the phrasing to the main score, which will have been only going on since around May time really, when he'll have had some edited principal photography to work with.
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Bondage007 wrote:

Don't rule it out - if Sam Smith is to be believed (after previously lying about his involvement in the recording of the song) and he did record it in January, there's been plenty of time in the interim for Newman to work in some of the phrasing to the main score, which will have been only going on since around May time really, when he'll have had some edited principal photography to work with.

If it is integrated, it would be for a few measures like it was for Skyfall since it's not Thomas Newman's theme. It would be nice if Thomas Newman wrote his own themes for the score, but he's not really a thematic composer. Even when David Arnold didn't write the main theme, like in DAD and QoS, he wrote his own themes and motifs in the score to hold it together. Though I'm bothered that the main theme wasn't written by the film's composer to be included in the score, Thomas Newman doesn't write memorable songs or themes anyway.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Matt S wrote:
    Bondage007 wrote:

If it is integrated, it would be for a few measures like it was for Skyfall since it's not Thomas Newman's theme. It would be nice if Thomas Newman wrote his own themes for the score, but he's not really a thematic composer. Even when David Arnold didn't write the main theme, like in DAD and QoS, he wrote his own themes and motifs in the score to hold it together. Though I'm bothered that the main theme wasn't written by the film's composer to be included in the score, Thomas Newman doesn't write memorable songs or themes anyway.

Yeah that's why I worry, it's my biggest fear about this movie, everything else seems to be shaping up nicely. Matt S summed it up nicely

I feel that, like Skyfall, the soundtrack will be serviceable and blend in like in Skyfall. But I don't like my Bond soundtracks to blend in. I want them to have their own identity
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • om3ga_seamasterom3ga_seamaster Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    Another link...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kozdiuIwB08

Guessing we'll have Sam's song leaked by end of this week.
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent

Agree. The music is integral to a Bond film, the title song needs to be included in the score. One of the best tracks from Skyfall was "Komodo Dragon" the only track that included the "Skyfall" theme.
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • om3ga_seamasterom3ga_seamaster Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    Another...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbsQm2T8iwY

And, couldn't agree more, always better to have elements of the title song worked into the soundtrack....
  • JG007JG007 Manchester , United KingdomPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    When the track is available for pre order on iTunes from tonight , should we be expecting an extract from the song to listen to when you normally download / pre order a song this close to release?

Normally when you tap on the song you want to download a bit of the song plays so you can hear before you download.

I'm expecting not to be able to hear an extract when the pre order is availed tonight but does anyone have any idea whether we can expect to hear something?

Usually if the release is in the same month a preview extract is there to listen to , but knowing how the bond marketing has been like so far , we won't hear anything til , most likely , a Scott Mills world exclusive drop next week perhaps?...

Any thoughts? -{
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    With the rumours of Radiohead having built my expectations, I'm disappointed. I'll probably end up liking it, but it'll be the same old,same old. It could have been an epic, OK Computer like, dark song.

This.

The title Spectre would fit perfectly with Radiohead's style too.

And there hasn't been enough bands doing bond themes. 4 out of 24 is a tiny amount.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Never really heard Sam Smith before so I gave him a listen, and I'd heard him before without knowing it. Not impressed at all. His voice is wimpy, and his music sounds like the same old stuff as everything else.

Bands are underrepresented with bond themes.

And the song should be called Spectre, The Writing's On The Wall is an absolutely boring title. I know it's a line from GE, but it just doesn't work, and has zero character. I hate how 3/4 DC films now have themesongs that are not the title of the film. Ok a song called CR might sound cheesey, and QOS I can forgive (although its easy enough to write a song called QOS), but Spectre I can't forgive, as it's a ridiculously easy word to use for a song title. It's not even an unusual word either IMO.

By far the most disappointing news regarding the new film, but I guess I can't say for sure until I hear it.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

Jarvio wrote:
    Never really heard Sam Smith before so I gave him a listen, and I'd heard him before without knowing it. Not impressed at all. His voice is wimpy, and his music sounds like the same old stuff as everything else.

And the song should be called Spectre, The Writing's On The Wall is an absolutely boring title. I know it's a line from GE, but it just doesn't work, and has zero character. I hate how 3/4 DC films now have themesongs that are not the title of the film. Ok a song called CR might sound cheesey, and QOS I can forgive (although its easy enough to write a song called QOS), but Spectre I can't forgive, and it's a ridiculously easy word to use for a song title. It's not even an unusual word IMO.

By far the most disappointing news regarding the new film, but I guess I can't say for sure until I hear it.

I agree. They used to insist on the Bond themes being a title theme since it would better promote the film.
    Matt S wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

And the song should be called Spectre, The Writing's On The Wall is an absolutely boring title. I know it's a line from GE, but it just doesn't work, and has zero character. I hate how 3/4 DC films now have themesongs that are not the title of the film. Ok a song called CR might sound cheesey, and QOS I can forgive (although its easy enough to write a song called QOS), but Spectre I can't forgive, and it's a ridiculously easy word to use for a song title. It's not even an unusual word IMO.

I agree. They used to insist on the Bond themes being a title theme since it would better promote the film.

Yep. They should still do this.

I can forgive TSWLM and OP as they were spread out, but almost the entire DC era is dominated by it, and I don't like that.

Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Yep. They should still do this.

I can forgive TSWLM and OP as they were spread out, but almost the entire DC era is dominated by it, and I don't like that.

At least TSWLM included the title in the lyrics. OP I can understand. It is terrible that SF has the only title song on Craig's four films. Especially when two of them don't have the reasons that OHMSS, OP or CR have.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Actually, the term "The writing is on the wall" is from the Book of Daniel and usually refers to impending disaster (in the Bible it was the fall of Babylon).

I don't know if that has anything to do with Mr. Smith's song.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:

Glad its not only me ,I cant stand him either ,and I see Welshie is of the same opinon too, 8-)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Jarvio wrote:

And the song should be called Spectre, The Writing's On The Wall is an absolutely boring title. I know it's a line from GE, but it just doesn't work, and has zero character. I hate how 3/4 DC films now have themesongs that are not the title of the film. Ok a song called CR might sound cheesey, and QOS I can forgive (although its easy enough to write a song called QOS), but Spectre I can't forgive, as it's a ridiculously easy word to use for a song title. It's not even an unusual word either IMO.

TSWLM and OP had songs that were not named after the film. And were excellent entries in the Bond cannon. This is a superficial complaint, and is also premature since we haven't heard the song. I'm not particularly excited about Smith's selection, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear what he has come up with and have a chance to judge it. Simply pathetic to see all of the lamenting and moaning in this thread without anything to go on.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    JG007 wrote:
    When the track is available for pre order on iTunes from tonight , should we be expecting an extract from the song to listen to when you normally download / pre order a song this close to release?

Normally when you tap on the song you want to download a bit of the song plays so you can hear before you download.

I'm expecting not to be able to hear an extract when the pre order is availed tonight but does anyone have any idea whether we can expect to hear something?

Usually if the release is in the same month a preview extract is there to listen to , but knowing how the bond marketing has been like so far , we won't hear anything til , most likely , a Scott Mills world exclusive drop next week perhaps?...

Any thoughts? -{

Is it definitely available for pre-order tonight? I seem to remember we got SKYFALL at 0:07 UK time.

Great little interview from BBC News here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdb6Q2ZlG54
    Jarvio wrote:

TSWLM, MR, and OP all had songs that were not named after the film. And all were excellent entries in the Bond cannon. This is a superficial complaint, and is also premature since we haven't heard the song. I'm not particularly excited about Smith's selection, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear what he has come up with and have a chance to judge it. Simply pathetic to see all of the lamenting and moaning in this thread without anything to go on.

MR?

Also, I clearly said, at the end of my post, that I can't truly tell until I've heard the song.

I think it's a valid complaint I made and I'm entitled to it. I don't mind a few songs not to be named after the film's title, but DC will now have 3/4, which bothers me.

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,778MI6 Agent
    I have just listened to a couple of Mr Smith's songs. - He has a good voice, and he does the whole ballad / emotive stuff well. - I think this is a case of the song being the critical element.
    As QoS proved, its not just about the right artist (I have heard other stuff Jack Black and Alicia Keyes have done - they are good singers!) its also about the right song.
    Some argued that Adele was not the right artist for Skyfall, - but she had the right song. That made her the right artist in the end. - Fingers crossed. I do like the title "Writings On the Wall" that's clever!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?