Pros and Cons: A View to a Kill

Comments

• Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Am I alone in my admiration of Plenty ?

I despise Plenty O' Toole, sorry.

Good looks maybe, but an annoying filler character for me.
    TBH I was only really talking about how she looked (I'm very superficial) B-)

Fair enough. I prob would like her more as a poster lady.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    "Commander Bond!"

"Call me James. It's only... five days to Alaska."
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Biggest pro: the "James Bond Will Return" at the end...because I knew it would be someone new.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    "Commander Bond!"

{[]

F88k yes!!! So good!!

Love that! "Best beluga!"
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    "Commander Bond!"

{[]

F88k yes!!! So good!!

Love that! "Best beluga!"
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    I have to take my hat off to Sir Roger, I think his performance in AVTAK might be one of his most underrated. There's just something special about how he plays Bond in it.

I'm sure Jarvio and Wadsy will agree with me there.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    Underrated performance indeed ;)

The script is not the most exciting but like LALDs script it does the job.
    I think the title sequence is a bit weird with the dancing femenine figures.

Best start to a title sequence though, the unzipping and reveal of 007 on the cleavage!

Very dated with the neon though , then again most guys prolly weren't looking at that ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dalton would've been hungrier for it, would have been in better shape to do his own stunts and it would have given him a longer tenure.
    More Dalton Bond would have only been a good-er thing.

Like with Lazenby we will only guess "what if".....I think the script would've been pretty much the same , just Dalton doing some stunts and who's to say that Dalton couldn't pull off a St John Smythe character ?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dalton would've been hungrier for it, would have been in better shape to do his own stunts and it would have given him a longer tenure.

Like with Lazenby we will only guess "what if".....I think the script would've been pretty much the same , just Dalton doing some stunts and who's to say that Dalton couldn't pull off a St John Smythe character ?

Can you imagine Dalton saying "I'm an early riser myself"?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Dalton could handle humor imo, but no, I'd say it would've been very weird.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Dalton could handle humor imo, but no, I'd say it would've been very weird.

It's all the sexual humour that Moore was great with that Dalton couldn't do.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:

haha! :))

Or "Whiskas?"

"Better make that two."
    John Glen did a great job directing this film.

IMO, his 3 middle 007 films were the ones (out of his 5 in the series) that were directed the best.

Just my opinion though.

Thoughts on the film's pacing?
    The pacing is fine, the only flaws to AVTAK is that it is slightly dull - especially in comparison with OP and TLD on either side.

Roger is excellent as usual though :D

"Better make that two."
    Stacey's my main gripe with the film, and I'm not a fan of Pola Ivanova.

The prospect of hearing them again is what keeps me from ranking the film higher.
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    Really mixed opinions. Half of the time it's a really fun campy cartoonish adventure featuring crazy villains like Zorin & Mayday as well as Moore at his most gentlemanliest. The other half of the time it's slow and dull. They easily could have cut 20 minutes with meticulous editing, leaving just the best moments for the viewer ; there really wasn't that much story to it.
    Really mixed opinions. Half of the time it's a really fun campy cartoonish adventure featuring crazy villains like Zorin & Mayday as well as Moore at his most gentlemanliest. The other half of the time it's slow and dull. They easily could have cut 20 minutes with meticulous editing, leaving just the best moments for the viewer ; there really wasn't that much story to it.

The mixed reviews are interesting.

Not sure where people get the campy or cartoonish elements from, the only one is the California girls part to me. The rest of the film IMO is extremely restrained.

"Better make that two."
    Not sure where people get the campy or cartoonish elements from, the only one is the California girls part to me. The rest of the film IMO is extremely restrained.

I agree. Maybe you could make a case for Moore driving a car torn in half, or the fact that May Day is something of a butch character.

But, generally speaking, I think AVTAK is quite restrained in terms of camp. I think it's mainly in Moore's first 4 BFs that the camp was prevalent, when John Glen came in, I think he considerably toned it down.

It seems many consider OP a campy Bond film though.
    It seems many consider OP a campy Bond film though.

It generally is, I guess the Indiana Jones elements "allow" that more.

Good point though, OP is quite different to all the other more serious Glen entries.

"Better make that two."
    AVTAK is interesting case. It may be the darkest Moore film with the eugenics, Nazism and mass shooting scenes. But it also has the campiest villain of all the Moore films. How seriously can you take a senior citizen Bond saving the world paired up with a girl half his age?
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    PROS

Theme song by Duran Duran is one of my favourites. Love the bombastic intro.

The Paris scenes and Bond chasing May Day

The scenes in San Fran.

May Day is a terrific henchwoman. Loved her reaction when she drops the Chinese tycoon out of the blimp, putting on the sunnies and going back to the meeting room is awesome. Liked the scene in the mine too. "And i thought that CREEP loved me!"

Barry's score. I don't like the electric guitars though. I feel that they date the film.

Chris Walken is amazing as Zorin. Loved the scene when he's mowing down the mine workers and he's cackling away. Walken really is enjoying himself and he made Zorin to be a memorable villain. A mad crackpot!

CONS

I don't want to see Bond cooking a quiche.

Stacey is a beautiful Bond girl, but she is whiny and screaming Bond's name every 5 mins. How does she not hear the blimp appproaching?

Could've done without seeing the KGB agent at Zorin's oil well get chopped up. I agree with Roger. Some of the scenes are too dark..
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    Maybe the dark aspect of the film is part of why Jarvio loves it so much.
    I actually didn't mind Stacey Sutton too much, in the sense that AVTAK is a self-parodying film anyway and she's just a trope. She's not as much of a sex object and her character isn't as misogynistic as some of the other ones in the Moore era.
    I thought the Pola scene was all right but it wasnt really needed........shame Bach didnt do it , wouldve been nice blast from past.
    wouldve been nice blast from past.

{[]

"Better make that two."
  • justonequestionjustonequestion Central EuropePosts: 59MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    I personally don't find May Day attractive, but I think "bond girls" should be judged as people - not sex objects. Nobody's judging Roger Moore or Christopher Walken on their attractiveness.

Wrong. I do. I'm female. :))

Christopher Walken is pretty hot in AVTAK. And I love Mads Mikkelsen and Daniel Craig. And wow, Sean Connery is the hottest James Bond of them all. But I do like Pierce Brosnan too.

edit: Ah, okay, you're just talking about AVTAK.

Roger Moore is not my type. He's too ... polished? Too smooth?
    "You don’t make art out of good intentions." - Gustave Flaubert;
    edited November 2015
    I heard that this movie was originally conceived with Dalton in mind, but Dalton couldn't do it (other contractual obligations). And Moore made some changes to it to suit his more polite personality.

Someone with more knowledge than me can affirm (or correct me on) this.

Dalton will always be Caesar for me. I first saw him in the 1999 mini series Cleopatra.

He just doesn't work as James Bond for me. So I'm kind of glad he didn't have too many films.
    No wonder you ranked his films so low joq. To each their own.
    edited November 2015
    No wonder you ranked his films so low joq. To each their own.

Yeah, that's probably the reason. It just doesn't work. And I do think his acting is at an all time low in the Bond movies. He's not bad in other films.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to you yet in the ranking thread, I will do so later. I just forgot, my real life has been kind of demanding these days. :#