Pros and Cons: A View to a Kill

Comments

• am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent

Roger Moore is not my type. He's too ... polished? Too smooth?

You need to see TMWTGG :p

man-with-the-golden-gun_4.jpg
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

And Brosnan isn't?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    My GF thinks PB is much better looking than RM.

That's probably what it comes down to. RM is a handsome man, and very charming - but he's not as good looking as SC or PB IMO.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Looks are subjective.

I do think Moore had the biggest jaw out of all the EON Bonds though.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • justonequestionjustonequestion Central EuropePosts: 59MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:

I did! It's one of my favourite Bond movies, but not because of Moore. I kind of like the plot and the villain a lot.
    "You don’t make art out of good intentions." - Gustave Flaubert;
    Matt S wrote:

And Brosnan isn't?

Nope, he seems rougher. Moore is like the polite English man. Brosnan is lol ... strong and exciting and such? :D Moore is more like the guy who'd be your best friend. ^^

As Agent Purple sad, looks are subjective. ^^
    I'd be more scared of Roger Moore than Pierce Brosnan.

Moore is a total charmer, but IMO the most clandestine bad-ass Bond. Some of his kills are pretty brutal!!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    edited November 2015
    I'd be more scared of Roger Moore than Pierce Brosnan.

Moore is a total charmer, but IMO the most clandestine bad-ass Bond. Some of his kills are pretty brutal!!

It's really more their facial features and overall attitude, not the way they do their job.

It's a pure superficial kind of judgement based on looks.

edit: how they do their job / act around women / etc. changes over the years equal the change of overall social standards, social expectations of the way "real" men should act, and how to tell stories through film in general. It's hard to compare, really.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

And Brosnan isn't?

Nope, he seems rougher. Moore is like the polite English man. Brosnan is lol ... strong and exciting and such? :D Moore is more like the guy who'd be your best friend. ^^

I've always seen Brosnan's Bond as the most polished and smooth. And he's far too polished and smooth. But that might be more because with Brosnan the smoothness is very forced whilst for Moore's Bond it is more natural. I wasn't talking about looks, though Brosnan is also the most polished-looking Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    edited November 2015
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

And Brosnan isn't?

I wasn't talking about looks, though Brosnan is also the most polished-looking Bond.

Not at all! He has very edgy facial features! ^^

Roger Moore's face looks softer. I don't know, it's just subjective probably.

edit: And it's probably just personal taste. I like edgy faces and feminine lips. Brosnan doesn't have the latter, but he's still pretty handsome (from my perspective). Connery has both - the edgy face and the feminine lips. So I think him the most handsome Bond. I also like Mikkelsen as the best-looking villain and Billy Zane (non Bond related). I like Craig because of his eyes mostly, and his smile is pretty cute.

And I really can't say what I like about Christopher Walken as Zorin. His mouth gives him a very special look and I like the snobbish-dominant attitude. And his backstory (gene experiment) is interesting. It makes him a mysterious character. The theme was way ahead of its time. It would have been more interesting today as they'd go into it more from a psychological perspective. I'd enjoy that a lot. I like high conflict, ambivalent characters lol. Bond characters usually aren't either of it, but some do suggest they might be if more developed.

(Speaking of ambivalent characters and psychological depth, I don't like the whole "bad childhood past" backstory of Craig's Bond btw. It's too bold and simple. Craig's Bond isn't a very ambivalent character. He's very well aware of his weaknesses and strengths, and what his past did to him. He's too controlled. He's boring and obviously a story-telling product of the new 21st century...)
    am747 wrote:

I did! It's one of my favourite Bond movies, but not because of Moore. I kind of like the plot and the villain a lot.

was it for his 3 nipples :p
    am747 wrote:
    am747 wrote:

no, I liked him as a character in general xD He wasn't very good-looking :D
    am747 wrote:

Scaramanga is one of my fav Bond villains too .... Some of his sequences are quite memorable such as the PTS, how he kills Fat, his scenes with Adams, his island, his henchman, etc. :)
    am747 wrote:
    am747 wrote:

Scaramanga is one of my fav Bond villains too .... Some of his sequences are quite memorable such as the PTS, how he kills Fat, his scenes with Adams, his island, his henchman, etc. :)

Yes, he was very unique. I enjoyed the training center thing and the movie's climax. And I loved the golden gun detail.
    The martial arts school scene in TMWTGG is something of a con for me. I find that scene very stupid personally.

But other than that, I love the film.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    The martial arts school scene in TMWTGG is something of a con for me. I find that scene very stupid personally.

But other than that, I love the film.

Agree, it is not very well done but still has its moments with Bond kicking the opponent out. .... The good thing about watching at home is that small parts that we dont like can easily be skipped. .... As long as one does not hv to skip too many parts, it should be fine :D
    ^ never fast forward a Bond film! :p

"Better make that two."

I second that.

Even if I find a scene in a BF silly, dumb, or weird, I'll sit through it like a man.
    edited November 2015

I second that.

Even if I find a scene in a BF silly, dumb, or weird, I'll sit through it like a man.

Doesn't really make sense watching a movie if you fast forward certain scenes. ^^

Does anyone have JB Blurays? I'm thinking about finally getting a Bluray player. Is the quality MUCH better?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Oh yes, a clear improvement -{ and I think you can get
    a box of 23 Bond films on Bluray for £40, on Amazon, which
    Is a Bargain. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Oh yes, a clear improvement -{ and I think you can get
    a box of 23 Bond films on Bluray for £40, on Amazon, which
    Is a Bargain. :)

It's 120 € for where I live :# £70 in the UK. Probably because it's about to be Christmas.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think Sir Miles, suggested that they're probably trying to shift stock
    To make way for new 4k versions ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I think Sir Miles, suggested that they're probably trying to shift stock
    To make way for new 4k versions ?

I'd wait for those then and only get my favourites while I wait.

There are films such as GE, DAF, AVTAK, DAD, QoS and TWINE where I have too at times :))
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,205MI6 Agent
    So onto AVTAK in my revisiting of the canon - before today last seen about 20 years ago and I don't remember much of it to be honest.

Pros:
    PTS
    Title Song
    Titles
    Locations: Chantilly - San Francisco
    Bond and Tibbett repartee
    Zorin's plan explained in the airship
    Killing of Howe at City Hall
    Elevator escape
    Fire truck chase
    Max Zorin - Sir Godfrey Tibbett - Mortner - Pola Ivanova

Cons:
    California Girls soundtrack taking the edge off an exciting PTS
    Sir Roger obviously too old for the role.
    Obvious stunt doubles.
    Grunts and groans of Bond in action scenes emphasizing even more his age
    Stable warehouse fight where two old geezers including a bloke who used to be a market stall holder in Eastenders take on an old Bond and an even older ally complete with overcranked film.

Observations:
    If Sir Godfrey was a well regarded horse trainer then surely he would have been recognised by someone in the business? Dolph Lundgren appears in a blink and you miss it role. Roger is noticeably too old to play Bond - his action scenes (the ones without stunt doubles) are laboured to say the least. The fact that May Day has killed Sir Godfrey appears to have been forgotten by Bond. Tanya Roberts cannot act.

Conclusion:
    Despite many faults this is quite an easy watch - Walken is fantastic as Zorin - one of the best villains of all. The scenes with Moore and MacNee are delightful. The rehash of the GF plot and some scenes mimicking that movie are a plus. This marked the end of the Moore era which had many positives and negatives but regardless of the negatives I think Roger's tenure as JB was an overall success.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Interesting that CHB prefers AVTAK to MR and OP...
    Interesting that CHB prefers AVTAK to MR and OP...

I guess that AVTAK isn't as OTT as MR and OP.

A good write up, I generally agree with the pros and cons. I really don't like the grunts and groans they started dubbing in for Moore in FYEO.

"Better make that two."
    Yeah, that "Whoaaaaaooohhh" can be a bit annoying to some of us.
    Yeah, that "Whoaaaaaooohhh" can be a bit annoying to some of us.

:)) yep!

"Better make that two."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    I don't want to see Bond cooking a quiche.
    I take that scene to be the unofficial adaptation of Flemings 007 in New York, a super short story that mostly consists of a recipe for scrambled eggs, using all one dozen eggs plus everything else in the kitchen and the bar
    but now its quiche because its updated to the 80s

big plus in this film for me is the costarring of Patrick MacNee, finally getting a role in a Bond film decades after his associates Mrs Gale and Mrs Peel got their big chance
    I used to think the injoke was his TV show was contemporary to the original Bond series at the height of its popularity (but that doesn't quite work because somebody else was playing Bond then), I now realize the bigger injoke was he and Moore were each on ITV adventure series at the same time, while somebody else was Bond on screen ... they must have known each other in those days, sharing writers and directors and crew and all that, aVTaK would have been a reunion for these two old 60s TV heros