Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    He wasn't Moore - I love this film :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    I always liked the way he said "Salt corrosion". As well as "I've had a few optional extras installed".
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Hmm, still not convinced. but it doesn't matter, all things considered, TLD is my fav Bond film
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

You can see how good Alec Mills' cinematography is almost instantly in this. The shot of the Aston coming over the viaduct, quality stuff!

If anything, "It's amazing this modern safety glass" is more contentious than "Salt corrosion!"
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

You can see how good Alec Mills' cinematography is almost instantly in this. The shot of the Aston coming over the viaduct, quality stuff!
    As much as I love LTK, TLD just looks & feels SO BOND!! B-)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chrisisall wrote:
    As much as I love LTK, TLD just looks & feels SO BOND!! B-)

Precisely. -{

Has all the elements, a bit by the numbers, but a nice plot (the Pushkin part) and unique and numerous stunts which is a theme throughout the entire Glen era.
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    TLD for me is like a Moore Bond without Roger :) (in a positive way)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    "I've had a few optional extras installed."
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    "I've had a few optional extras installed."

"Salt corrosion" :))
    God I LOVE this movie! -{
    chrisisall wrote:

It's not hard to see why someone would love this movie.

Great debut performance from Dalton and great direction from Glen.

A hard 10/10 for me.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

Me too! This film really has it all, but just the right amount of every element.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    What do you guys think of the A-Ha song?

I think it's a great song, especially with what John Barry did with it.
    I think it's cool that Necros gets a song to go along with his misdeeds.

A tough, brutal henchman, even if he's reminiscent of Red Grant.
    I love it! :D
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    chrisisall wrote:
    I love it! :D

As do I. The score is brilliant as well. This is just a great film...a bit silly in small bits, but overall a truly Bondian film experience :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I love how it has both theme songs (+If there was a man) in the score. My only complaint is that the score is a bit repetitive (or maybe I've listened to it too much) but it is a great score.

It's not completely a serious movie as it has lots of silly moments but I love the mix, which is why it is overall my fav film.

The cast is pretty weak (MP, Felix, villains except Necros, I'm starting to like Saunders) but the serious moments and action more than make up for it (PTS, safehouse scene, jail escape, ice chase, finale)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Bondage007 wrote:
    I'm starting to like Saunders

Me too. I used to find him an annoying brat who just got in the way but in more recent viewings I've felt more for his character - he's very important to the narrative.

Well acted too.

I don't understand the flak the Aha song gets, I think it's excellent.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Bondage007 wrote:
    I'm starting to like Saunders

Me too. I used to find him an annoying brat who just got in the way but in more recent viewings I've felt more for his character - he's very important to the narrative.

Well acted too.

I don't understand the flak the Aha song gets, I think it's excellent.

He's still not memorable but I think the final scene with him and Bond is a good conclusion to their story arc...mutual disdain to mutual respect.
    Unconventional opinion here, but I like Whitaker and Koskov. I like that they seem rather "friendly", particularly with Koskov, as it highlights his two-faced nature.

They are unusual villains for sure, but I think they suit the film just fine.
    Unconventional opinion here, but I like Whitaker and Koskov. I like that they seem rather "friendly", particularly with Koskov, as it highlights his two-faced nature.

I don't love Whitaker, but I think Koskov is fantastic.
    edited November 2015
    Btw, am I alone in thinking that Craig and Dalton have little in common with regards to their Bond portayals?

It seems to be generally understood that Dalton's portrayal was a template for Craig's, but I just don't see that much of a resemblance.
    Btw, an I alone in thinking that Craig and Dalton have little in common with regards to their Bond portayals?

It seems to be generally understood that Dalton's portrayal was a template for Craig's, but I just don't see that much of a resemblance.

I agree with you.

I agree here.
    I also love how that bonehead Whitaker gets his. :))
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Btw, am I alone in thinking that Craig and Dalton have little in common with regards to their Bond portayals?

This is a good point. What they have in common is a darker gritty more realistic portrayal of the character, but that does not mean Craig is a copy of Dalton. Aside from that, there's a lot of differences between them. Moore and Connery both have their character with a sense of humor, but that doesn't mean Moore is a copy of Connery.
    Btw, am I alone in thinking that Craig and Dalton have little in common with regards to their Bond portrayals?

This is a good point. What they have in common is a darker gritty more realistic portrayal of the character, but that does not mean Craig is a copy of Dalton. Aside from that, there's a lot of differences between them. Moore and Connery both have their character with a sense of humor, but that doesn't mean Moore is a copy of Connery.
    Exactly. They are each their own Bond.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Btw, am I alone in thinking that Craig and Dalton have little in common with regards to their Bond portrayals?

Exactly. They are each their own Bond.

That's true.

A shame Caroline Bliss didn't manage to make much of an impact as Moneypenny.

They kept Maxwell for over 2 decades and Bliss got the short end of the stick.

And her most memorable moment is perhaps when she suggests to Bond to listen to her Barry Manilow collection.
    And her most memorable moment is perhaps when she suggests to Bond to listen to her Barry Manilow collection.
    It was her attempt at finding the stationary....
    :))
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    "dont worry they will save you for the harem"