Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Comments

• Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    He's a pretty impressive henchman for sure, even if he's a Grant clone.

Gotta love how Bond kills him and says that one-liner "He got the boot!".
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    He's a pretty impressive henchman for sure, even if he's a Grant clone.

Gotta love how Bond kills him and says that one-liner "He got the boot!".
    :)) -{ {[]
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Necros is a clear Red Grant clone.

"Humph...Flu."

At least Necros does impressions!

Necros is much more interesting than Stamper , clone or not :p
    Honestly, it doesn't really bother me that Necros and Stamper are Grant clones, both TLD and TND are 10/10 films for me. I can understand if it bothers others though.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    .....and Helga is a Fiona-clone :p

I can't blame EON really , to constantly come up with original characters....no wonder they have to repeat characters/plots now and then.
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    Honestly, it doesn't really bother me that Necros and Stamper are Grant clones, both TLD and TND are 10/10 films for me. I can understand if it bothers others though.

I always think Necros does not get the credit he deserves, he is (was) a bad-ass.

He single-handedly retrieves Koskov from the Blayden safe-house, gets a few confirmed kills and has an epic final fight with Bond (one of the best).

His espionage skills are great, and very well used in the film, exploding milk bottles and all -{
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    Love the whole pts, the land rover sequence is a fantastic
    Mini movie. {[] Although I never noticed ( still don't) that the
    Other 00s were supposed to resemble Moore and Lazenby. ;)

Good point, I always got the Moore one (always thought he looked just like him) didn't pick up on the Lazenby one though -{
    I absolutely love that scene between Bond and Saunders in the car. Some terrific acting there.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent

I always think Necros does not get the credit he deserves, he is (was) a bad-ass.

He single-handedly retrieves Koskov from the Blayden safe-house, gets a few confirmed kills and has an epic final fight with Bond (one of the best).

His espionage skills are great, and very well used in the film, exploding milk bottles and all -{

I'd put Necros up there with all-time great Henchman. He's well utilised in the film and overall well utilised by the villain!

He impersonates to get places, he's a real physical threat, he's funny ("Flu!" "Ooo, sorry sir!") and as you say, he does get some pretty good kill numbers.

He's very similar to Stamper, but Stamper (while awesome) is made into more of a cliche.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Necros is pretty memorable overall.

Dario is prob my fave male Bond Henchman though. Easily one of my fave things in LtK.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent
    Watched this last night for the first time in over 5 years.

Pros:
    PTS
    Titles
    Music
    Vienna location
    Opening scenes of the concert and pipeline escape
    Kidnapping of Koskov
    Kara escaping with Bond
    Fairground scenes
    Plane fight
    Dalton as Bond - Saunders - Karim Shah - Koskov - Necros - M - Moneypenny

Cons:
    Editing
    Usual slow countdown clock
    Bond fires all his shots into Whitaker's shield where a low shot would have disabled him
    Drags a little towards the end
    Whitaker

Observations:
    A new Bond, Moneypenny and Leiter.

Conclusion:
    Dalton reinvigorates the franchise with a stellar performance. This is a real Bond both ruthless and compassionate. Dalton is the closest match to the Bond of the novels in the whole canon. John Glen directs with assurance he is better with this style of filming (like FYEO) than the comedy of the previous two (OP and AVTAK). John Barry brings his best score since DAF - although I'm not keen on the title song the actual music fits the film very well. Necros is a great henchman - he has a real sense of menace and ranks up there just below Grant and Oddjob. Robert Brown brings a good performance as M and Caroline Bliss is great as the new Moneypenny. For me this brings the Bonds back on track after a couple of mediocre efforts and I am really looking forward to revisiting LTK which is one of my favourites.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    From 1981 to 2015 period, I find TLD and FYEO to be the most solid Bond films which may only have minor weaknesses. What separates TLD from others is that it has background score that can be rated among the best in the series :)
    For Dalton fans - Dalton returns in SPECTRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHzsa5_Emk

:))
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    From 1981 to 2015 period, I find TLD and FYEO to be the most solid Bond films which may only have minor weaknesses. What separates TLD from others is that it has background score that can be rated among the best in the series :)

TLD has the best score of the series. It deserves to be called just a "score". "Background score" makes it sound like something by Thomas Newman that just sits in the background and adds nothing to the film.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    edited December 2015
    Matt S wrote:

It deserves to be called just a "score"

I agree

PS
    TLD has the best score of the series

It is probably my fav .... I like scores from FRWL (extensive use of Bond theme), TB, OHMSS, YOLT, LALD, etc. too. How would you rate these scores?
    am747 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

It deserves to be called just a "score"

I agree
    TLD has the best score of the series

It is probably my fav. However I like the score from FRWL (extensive use of Bond theme which was fresh at that time), TB, OHMSS, YOTL, LALD, etc. too. How would you rate these scores?

Those are all great scores. Barry's kept getting noticeably better with each one to OHMSS. I place TLD, OHMSS, MR, OP and DAF as the best of the series. FRWL is one of the least impressive scores of his by comparison, but it's still a great score.
    Barry talked of TMWTGG being a score he wasn't proud of, but even THAT was excellent IMO.
    I love TMWTGG's score, def one of my fave Bond scores.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Barry talked of TMWTGG being a score he wasn't proud of, but even THAT was excellent IMO.

It's easily his weakest, but still great. He had come a long was since FRWL, but TMWTGG goes back to that point in Barry's life and forgets the great progress he had made as a composer in the decade since.
    edited December 2015
    Some of the tracks from TMWTGG are classic :)

Coming back to LTD, I would rate it as the best film from the 1981-2015 period. May be the ranking would go like this:

+ 3. LTD - A solid film such as FYEO. The score take it to a new level

+2. SP - Background score is not a strong point. But is visually striking and fun to watch film with some good performance .... It can be ranked below FYEO based on how its weaknesses impact you

+1. L2K - Darker than FYEO with some weaknesses. But overall its strengths (Dalton's performance, Sanchez, Q as field operative, Seaplane sequence, Truck chase, etc.) help it to just lift it above FYEO .... i.e. some flavors added to the vanilla ice cream .... It could be also be placed below FYEO depending up on how you look at its weaknesses or added flavors

= 0. FYEO - The benchmark. No major weaknesses. Well balanced (Not too dark, not too OTT, not too funny, etc.) with necessary Bond elements .... Moore also gives a well measured performance .... May be the film is like the vanilla ice cream :)

-1. ....
    -2. ....
    -3. ....
    edited December 2015
    BluRay Marathon!

Pros:

- PTS
    - Title song
    - Saunders, "Sniper was a woman", "Stuff my orders", intro to Kara
    - Safe-house scenes
    - Meeting Kara in Bratislava
    - Ice chase sequence
    - Koskov, Necros, Whittaker, Pushkin - excellent cast, and all memorable. Particularly good acting from John Rhys Davies. I enjoy Whittaker's character too - he plays square-peg/round-hole kinda dork quite well.
    - T. Dalt is fantastic. Looks handsome, owns the role first off
    - Barry's score is his best work IMO
    - Beautiful cinematography / locations
    - Interesting plot - Russian/Afghanistan elements, defection, more modern USSR in Pushkin
    - Classical music
    - Aston V8
    - Gadgets are great, new offices, new Moneypenny
    - Kara is beautiful

Cons - not many:

- Plot is enjoyable if you don't think too hard but it is difficult to fully understand. I still find that I have to concentrate to get my head around it, but I guess that means the film is still gripping or just too convoluted :s
    - Koskov smuggling across the border lags a bit, especially Harrier scene, could've done without big bosom lady too.
    - Bond not shooting Whittaker somewhere other than the shield only covering his face.
    - Felix Leiter, the girls.
    - Kara's handling of the instruments in the plane.

Observations:

- Plenty more Phillips and what looks like a one-off deal with Audi
    - Nice "Handle Like Eggs" reference to TB and "Four letter word" from TMWTGG

BluRay:

Clear and good looking, but this film hasn't been a bad looker on DVD anyway.

Overall:

It's like a mini-epic, a really beautifully shot, acted and scored film. A really solid entry into the franchise and I am glad so many others like me enjoy it - I always have.

Cheers -{
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    For Dalton fans - Dalton returns in SPECTRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHzsa5_Emk

:))

Really enjoyed that thanks. Dalton has real power and gravitas which is palpable.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Not many cons as its one of the series highlights for me however...Kara is a bit insipid, and much as it pains me Tim was not convincing in the romantic scenes (he tended to look awkward) The lateness of his casting meant that more cheesy legacy was in the film than I would have liked. However it has so much to commend it, particularly a fantastic central performance. It may be too early to state it firmly but each new actors inaugural film is a corker. It seems to engender a ' back to basics' refresh and a renewed sense of energy. This may be a feature of greater risk with a new Bond hence a smaller budget, but I like my Bonds lean and hungry.

Another con is the lack of sexiness/glamour, I miss the mis en scene of old, its all a bit sterile as I liked the odd sexy waitress or receptionist in the background, but alas no more...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    This may be a feature of greater risk with a new Bond hence a smaller budget, but I like my Bonds lean and hungry.
    Another con is the lack of sexiness/glamour, I miss the mis en scene of old, its all a bit sterile as  I liked the odd sexy waitress or receptionist in the background, but alas no more...

The budget wasn't restricted like it was with LTK - TLD had a bigger budget by $10m than AVTAK for a total of $40m.

Wasn't there a concerted effort in TLD to make it a one-woman show because of considerations around safe sex/AIDS?

"Better make that two."
    zaphod99 wrote:
    This may be a feature of greater risk with a new Bond hence a smaller budget, but I like my Bonds lean and hungry.
    Another con is the lack of sexiness/glamour, I miss the mis en scene of old, its all a bit sterile as  I liked the odd sexy waitress or receptionist in the background, but alas no more...

The budget wasn't restricted like it was with LTK - TLD had a bigger budget by $10m than AVTAK for a total of $40m.

Wasn't there a concerted effort in TLD to make it a one-woman show because of considerations around safe sex/AIDS?

Yes AIDS/safe sex was a factor.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Yes AIDS/safe sex was a factor.
    Plus, Fleming. Bond didn't do the bed hopping thing in most of the novels...
    It's actually one of the many things IMO that the film does well. It's a refreshing change.

"Better make that two."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I was really disappointed TD only did the two, but a pretty impressive two they were! Tld is a strong film, with the exception of the bored woman on the boat. A great PTS, great reference with the "smiert spionam " labels. Loved the roof top chase scene in morrocco (is this the first bond roof top chase?)
    My only niggles in the film are leiter and those girls!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Loved the roof top chase scene in morrocco (is this the first bond roof top chase?)

Thank goodness they didn't include the magic carpet that was in the deleted scenes. That would've been the double taking pigeon of the film.

I don't like the Leiter and girl scenes either. Seems really out of place.

But, have to say, the bored woman on the boat is awesome!!

"Better make that two."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Loved the roof top chase scene in morrocco (is this the first bond roof top chase?)

Thank goodness they didn't include the magic carpet that was in the deleted scenes. That would've been the double taking pigeon of the film.

I don't like the Leiter and girl scenes either. Seems really out of place.

But, have to say, the bored woman on the boat is awesome!!
    Just found that part of the PTS a bit cringey?? I'd would love to know if the rooftop chase really is the first? and spawned the numerous other similar scenes. Eg qos. Bourne etc
    I think leiter was just plastic and those girls tho nice to look at served very little purpose! Except I suppose achieving what bambi and thumper couldn't! But still???
    It was either that.....or the priesthood