Timothy Dalton. Best actor to play Bond?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He did make it to Time lord -{ , that's better than a star ship Captain. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Yes, TD would have made a good Captain. Or perhaps a Vulcan?
    He's a bit too misty-eyed to be Vulcan... ;)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,200Chief of Staff
    He did make it to Time lord -{ , that's better than a star ship Captain. :D

Oh, they're both a step or two down from his most famous role....
    Charlie's Angels ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :))
    I think he's very good in "Penny Dreadful" and look forward to Series 2. His grim intensity suits that show very well, and acting opposite Eva Green in a quasi father/daughter capacity the two have great chemistry- if the generations had matched, I think those two would have Bonded well.
    If this has come up in the Penny Dreadful thread, my apologies. I'm avoiding spoilers.
    :D yes I'm looking forward to the second series, but I like Dalton in
    Everything I've seen him in. -{ The Rocketeer, is a real favourite of
    Mine. Although I can understand if some don't like him, I have a list
    Of several actors I avoid at all costs. :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Although I can understand if some don't like him
    Thank you Mother Teresa di Vincenzo.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    some don't like him

Really? Hadn't noticed.... :)
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    some don't like him

With me, it's not a case of don't like him, he's just not my favourite that's all. We should all be thankful to Dalton for keeping the franchise running at a time when the Bond films could easily have folded.

Just because some of us don't worship at the feet of the great man who channelled his inner Errol Flynn and brought Prince Barin to life in Flash Gordon doesn't mean we despise him you know :))
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    We should all be thankful to Dalton for keeping the franchise running at a time when the Bond films could easily have folded.

Do you realize that after the Dalton Movies the francise took a 6-year break and it was not clear that they'd come back?
    It had a lot to do with lawsuits but it also seemed that EON lost the faith and the interest in the franchise.

So; I partly blame Dalton for putting Bond into the darkest and less promising phase of the entire franchise X-( - because the audiences did not accept him.

So no thanks from my side to him 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,506Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    We should all be thankful to Dalton for keeping the franchise running at a time when the Bond films could easily have folded.

Do you realize that after the Dalton Movies the francise took a 6-year break and it was not clear that they'd come back?
    It had a lot to do with lawsuits but it also seemed that EON lost the faith and the interest in the franchise.

So; I partly blame Dalton for putting Bond into the darkest and less promising phase of the entire franchise X-( - because the audiences did not accept him.

So no thanks from my side to him 8-)

This is what I like...not letting the truth get in the way of a good story :))
    YNWA 97
    edited February 2015
    So, it's not true Dalton was not accepted by the audiences?
    There was no 6 year-gap?
    There was no lawsuit?
    There were no delays and delays and delays after Dalton's run?
    There were no doubts if Bond would ever return?

Interesting! :p

If you read my post again, I am not blaming Dalton fully for all of it, but it's fact that the results of his movies (particularly LTK) were disappointing and after it, there was a very dark age for us 007 fans.
    And imo Dalton and his disappointing performance and acceptance had a good share for that. The main actor is always the "money shot".

And just for the record, I am of the opinion that Moore's age had a lot to do with the medicore success of AVTAK.

Chrisisall wrote :
    " Thank you Mother Teresa di Vincenzo "

:)) I do look good in a blue tea towel. ;)
    Higgins wrote:

Indeed I do. However, don't forget that Broccoli originally wanted Brosnan to play the role after Moore was dismissed (according to Broccoli - Moore says he chose not to reprise the role for an 8th film). When his Remington Steele commitments made taking up the role an impossibility, it seemed for a while that the productions would grind to a halt.

They reconsidered Sam Neil who'd screen-tested for them, but decided he wasn't right. Dalton was busy too and if it wasn't for his production coming to an end on Brenda Starr, we may well have seen the legal wrangling come a lot sooner than they did - lawyers occupied with contractual negotiations between Eon and artists management would then have been diverted onto the sticky situation with Kevin McLory.

There's a lot of 'what ifs', but the simple situation is that in 1986 Eon didn't have a Bond and they didn't know if they were going to get one anytime soon. Dalton stepping in solved that problem and we have his two efforts on celluloid for posterity.
    Bruce Wayne = Batman
    Mr Big = Kananga
    Higgins. = Dalton ?
    Always running Dalton down, so we'd never guess. ;)
    But he didn't count on the great brain power of the
    Famous French detective, Achille Aubergine ! :D

Dalton made two great Bond films, one ( LTK) is a classic
    ( In my opinion) :)
    Dalton made two great Bond films, one ( LTK) is a classic
    ( In my opinion) :)

At the risk of losing my shot at membership of the Misty-Eyed Fan Club and incurring the wrath of Higgins, I've got to say that LTK does have merits which could put it into the classic category:

The film combines actual Fleming stories and portrays them pretty well, including not shying away from Felix becoming a shark's dinner. By and large, there's no real gadgetry, other than a token scene with Q in Bond's hotel room - the characters are allowed to shine rather than the toys.
    Also, there's a good supporting cast, notably Benicio del Toro and Robert Davi as the baddies (however David Hedison really should have been put out to pasture with Moore) and the feeling of the film is overall quite dark.

But, there's a lot wrong too - the attempts at humour and tongue-in-cheek moments such as the fish wink, the stupid stunts like driving a tanker on its side, barefoot water ski-ing after winning an underwater fight against several heavily armed and fully scuba-equipped divers and then there's the needless helipad opening at the Olympatec Meditation Institute, which was a nod back to the Connery and Moore days.

So it's good, but not quite great in my opinion. And Dalton is still not the best Bond either ;)
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Indeed I do. However, don't forget that Broccoli originally wanted Brosnan to play the role after Moore was dismissed (according to Broccoli - Moore says he chose not to reprise the role for an 8th film). When his Remington Steele commitments made taking up the role an impossibility, it seemed for a while that the productions would grind to a halt.

It is my understanding that Cubby Broccoli originally favoured Lambert Wilson before his wife Dana reminded him about Timothy Dalton. Dalton was then approached, though very interested he was committed to Brenda Starr. So, Pierce Brosnan was Broccoli's third favourite at best.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    edited February 2015
    Moore Than wrote:
    before his wife Dana reminded him about Timothy Dalton.

Never listen to your wife. Noted and lesson learnt :D

Though I am surprised what you say about Brosnan.
    As soon as Moore announced his retirements, all tabloids where full that Brosnan will be the next guy.

I am not sure if that all was fantasy - just asking?

Cubby's preferences changed on a weekly basis and were known only to himself really, even different press outlets had different stories at the same time.

Whatever the pecking order of preference (and I think Dalton was offered the role around the early seventies too, but turned it down then), Eon could well have been in a position of no Bond at the time when Dalton finally and reluctantly agreed to take the part.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:
    before his wife Dana reminded him about Timothy Dalton.

Never listen to your wife. Noted and lesson learnt :D

Though I am surprised what you say about Brosnan.
    As soon as Moore announced his retirements, all tabloids where full that Brosnan will be the next guy.

I am not sure if that all was fantasy - just asking?

The source of my understanding for Cubby Broccoli's preferences is the book James Bond - The Legacy. How accurate that is I cannot say. Logically, if he did originally favour Lambert Wilson, then approach Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan was his third favourite at best even if the tabloids were full that he was going be the next 007.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Even Sean Bean was considered -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Moore Than wrote:
    , Pierce Brosnan was his third favourite at best even if the tabloids were full that he was going be the next 007.

not sure mate. At the end of the day, Cubby was also a money-man.
    Even when he's tested others, Brosnan would have been a smilar safe bet for him like Moore was for LALD.

I am pretty sure that Brosnan would have grossed much better at the box office, just because he had the name and the looks and people knew him from Remington Steele.

I can't find a money developement for OHMSS, but I seem to recall that the success for it came slowly over the years and that it was not so great performing in the initial release - mainly because of the unknown actor.

Lazenby wasn't even an actor when cast for OHMSS - he was a model who was persuaded to do the casting call.

Despite the fact that he was forced to play the foppish Sir Hilary Bray for a large part of the film, I still think that George nailed the role, especially the final scene, which has to be in the all time top ten of film endings. Yes, it was of its time, yes Savalas wasn't the most convincing Blofeld, but OHMSS remains one of my fav 007 outings.
  • hot crossed bondhot crossed bond at the barPosts: 181MI6 Agent
    edited February 2015
    "These pretzels, are making me...Thirsty! (if anybody knows the reference you get a prize) anyway, that is DT delivery. when he ordered a martini he should have a valium not a twist
    I'm motivated by my duty
    Seinfeld - what's the prize :D
  • hot crossed bondhot crossed bond at the barPosts: 181MI6 Agent
    you have won at your own expense trip to great James Bond movie viewing! so go watch any that DC has made
    I'm motivated by my duty
    you have won at your own expense trip to great James Bond movie viewing! so go watch any that DC has made

Now that's a shame, seeing as only last night I started watching the 50 year box set from the beginning, with a view to being up to SF just before 6th Nov.

Forgot just how brilliant Connery was in his first outing though.
  • SpoffSpoff Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    I have always thought that Timothy Dalton was the best Bond.

But I have to agree that Connery was excellent, he made Bond a real icon of the cinema, so much style in those first few films. You notice it even more so when you watch them nowadays. They are perfect time-capsules from a wonderful era.

The first time he is introduced in Dr. No is just magic!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    So, it's not true Dalton was not accepted by the audiences?
    There was no 6 year-gap?
    There was no lawsuit?
    There were no delays and delays and delays after Dalton's run?
    There were no doubts if Bond would ever return?

Interesting! :p

If you read my post again, I am not blaming Dalton fully for all of it, but it's fact that the results of his movies (particularly LTK) were disappointing and after it, there was a very dark age for us 007 fans.
    And imo Dalton and his disappointing performance and acceptance had a good share for that. The main actor is always the "money shot".

And just for the record, I am of the opinion that Moore's age had a lot to do with the medicore success of AVTAK.

Does Dalton owe you money or something Higgins? Just curious. :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    yes Savalas wasn't the most convincing Blofeld,

I disagree. In my opinion Telly Savalas is the best Blofeld to date and his presence helped to elevate OHMSS.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."