Bond still using ppk

Comments

• 007.5007.5 Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    Much as I am enjoying the AR and SR posts, dipping back to the thread title, do people still favour the PPK as sidearm, or would they like something more modern like the PPS?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I would like to see Bond use the PPS.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    As I know nothing about guns, and I guess there might be better guns on the
    Market these days, but it's Bond. Bond has a ppk. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent

+ 1 The PPK should be Bond's consealed carry pistol.
    Interesting. I like firearms but like Bond more and don't want to spoil Bond with too much gun detail. From his avatars ASP9mm is obviously into his guns. TP by his own admission knows nothing about guns and so accociates PPK. I wonder how representative this juxtaposition would be of the audience as a whole. BTW, this is the first forum I have ever logged onto and posted on in y life, so if I say something 'uncool' please know it was inadvertent.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    You're posting on AJB007, so you're already a cool guy ! {[] :D

In fact I never even noticed Bond using a different gun until finding AJB. ;)
    Then quickly learned from the more expert members, the different guns
    Bond had used. :)) I'm sure I'm an average cinema goer, one gun looks
    pretty much the same as another. ;)
    ( I know this is probably Sacrilege to the gun experts here ) {:) :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent

Same for me! It's still one of the nicest-looking guns. The PPS doesn't look so pretty.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Ha ha, thanks TP, you're posts often crack me up. There have been so many gun mistakes over the years Bond would be well dead!! It is funny that all the way back in 1983 both Bonds in Octopussy and Never say Never Again used the Walther P5. This was a vast upgrade to 9mm Parabellum over the 7.65 mm. The PPK/S of Skyfall was 9mm short, which is less power than 9mm Parabellum. In other words he packed a better piece in 1983 than 2012.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I would like to see Bond use the PPS.

In Jeffery Deaver's 2011 novel Carte Blanche James Bond did in fact use the Walther PPS in .40 S&W as his canceled carry weapon, he also used a Glock 26, a Colt Python, and a Winchester .270 rifle. I was very pleased that Deaver did his homework on guns and gave Bond the modern version of the famous Walther PPK.

As for the WA 2000 sniper rifle in The Living Daylights (1987), I am not sure which caliber the actual prop used since Walther offered the gun in a few different calibers and I do not really know enough about bullet sizes to tell if the prop shell casings are .300 Winchester Magnum or 7.62mm NATO. So I a just going by my own limited knowledge of guns.
    Yes he did. With a Gemtech suppressor.

PPSSUPP_zpsf7649990.jpg

photo.jpg
    Mr Deaver did indeed use the PPS, as he was advised to do by a fan when writing the book - that fan being me! Gutted I didn't get a mention! Although I advised 9mm as it's easier to re-fill worldwide if u run dry, so he may have had another input.
    007.5 wrote:
    Mr Deaver did indeed use the PPS, as he was advised to do by a fan when writing the book - that fan being me!

Are you quite sure about that?
    Erm, yes! Though as I say he probably had other advice as he deferred from my caliber choice. I was in e-mail contact with him in 2010 And met him when the book came out.
  • SpoffSpoff Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    Bond has a ppk. 

This^
    007.5 wrote:
    Erm, yes! Though as I say he probably had other advice ....

He certainly did, from at least three people off this forum, although one of them has gone AWOL. I met him in 2010 too, it was when he did this...

photo2.jpg
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    The PPS is pretty much the modern "concealed carry" Walther and more likely to be what a current SIS agent would carry, I think. But, I don't mind him keeping the PPK variants for "old times" sake. Glock just released their new single stack 9mm, the G43, today. That would be a great choice too, especially with the production using so many Glocks for other characters.
    I like to see the PPK, it is Bond's signature weapon. The PPS is such a good little update though, with Craig's modern take on Bond, I just would have liked to have seen him using it.
    Cool. I am UK based, so don't have public domain access to firearms, but I got a signed copy of the book (which I have to say is one of my favourites despite being non-Fleming.
    I seem to have ruffled your feathers, ASP9mm, which was not my intent.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I like to see the PPK, it is Bond's signature weapon. The PPS is such a good little update though, with Craig's modern take on Bond, I just would have liked to have seen him using it.

My thoughts exactly ASP 9mm!

Still for such an old design, the Walther PPK is still pretty good, from my perspective. Heck the Colt 1911/1911A1 is over 100 years old and both Colt and many others still make many different versions in multiple calibers to this day. Granted in real life we all know that 9x17mm (9mm short) is a better choice than 7.65x17mm (.32 ACP) for self defense purposes, but as many have said before the Walther PPK and James Bond are too iconic to change at least for the time being any way.
    007.5 wrote:
    I seem to have ruffled your feathers, ASP9mm, which was not my intent.

No, not at all. Was typing on my phone earlier which is a pain due to backtracking to fix typos continuously, and so my posts were a little abrupt. My apologies. It's good to see a few people were pushing the PPS for Bond's use. I was only too happy to see it and the Gemtech being used.
    Cool. As I said I'm not an experienced blogger. As I said I am UK based, where are other peeps from? I'm thinking as u have a PPS and met JD, u might be a brother from Langley, or at least the US!
    I'm UK too. But I get about a bit :D
    Have u shot S & w shield? Wondered how it compares to PPS, as they have v similarly purpose.
    Nope, I haven't even handled one. Popular opinion is that they are very good, but not quite the same quality as the Walther.
    Just seen the typos on my previous post - I assure u it's the predictive text on my phone and I'm not a total buffoon! I also consideredSIG P239 for Bond. Not quite as small as PPS or Shield, but I LOVE SIG quality.
    Sig 239, SIG P238, Detonics Combat Master, H&K P2000SK. I like the idea of a niche gun like the Detonics.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    nonerdtalkf71bw8esh3.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    I have shot both the Shield and PPS and they are very similar. S&W clearly designed the Shield after the PPS. I bought the Shield because of the huge price difference, nearly $200 US and it is my favorite gun to shoot. I am speaking of 9mm, the 40 has way too much kick to be accurate. There is the new Walther CCP which is a bit bigger, like 1/2 way between the PPS and PPQ, although they are trying to market it as a concealed carry weapon.
    Stoopid Higgins.