NATO Watch strap basics

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    This is what annoys me (Skyfall Aqua Terra)

"Dell Deaton identified watch March 13, 2012, via fleeting post on Amsterdam Omega Dealer website"

How on earth can he say Dell Deaton identified. I saw that forum post (I think it was ACE Jewellers leaked the info from advanced Omega price list) if my memory serves correct and it was clear that this was the watch in Skyfall, there was no identification from Dell necessary - I might as well claim I identified it as I saw the forum post from ACE too!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    The first scenes shot in Dr. No were actually on location in Jamaica with the Rolex Submariner. The gold watch although appearing first on screen were actually shot much later in the studio.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    Well- around 5 years before he 'discovered' the Tag Heuer from TLD, he asked me in an email what the watch was.
    I've told him that I think that it was a Tag Heuer and years later.... :D

Same with The Moonraker Seiko where he claims still today that it has been a M354-5019 while his reference at Seiko UK confirms that it can equally be a 5010.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Here is what ACE leaked, ironically I nicked this from Dells site. I guess he is crediting himself for discovering the watch by reading a post thousands also read.

james-bond-watch-skyfall-omega-aqua-terra-ace-jewelers-2012-march-full.jpg
    I think that there is a similar story with Asp9mm and the 'discovery' of the CR PO :v

• JackieHJackieH Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

"Dell Deaton identified watch March 13, 2012, via fleeting post on Amsterdam Omega Dealer website"

How on earth can he say Dell Deaton identified. I saw that forum post (I think it was ACE Jewellers leaked the info from advanced Omega price list) if my memory serves correct and it was clear that this was the watch in Skyfall, there was no identification from Dell necessary - I might as well claim I identified it as I saw the forum post from ACE too!

That's a real shocker that one!

In addition, I'd like to add that Connery wore M&S undercrackers in DAF. I can confirm that I held in my hand a photograph that depicted Sean wearing them.
    Higgins wrote:
    I think that there is a similar story with Asp9mm and the 'discovery' of the CR PO :v

Ha - just noticed he is taking credit for that one!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) I know nothing about watches ( as well as many other things) but had to say
    All this is very entertaining and interesting. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Can anyone please point me to the page where he 'identifies' the watch being a Gruen watch?

I misspoke. He does not actually give any proof to what the watch is. I'm sorry I brought up that guy and his article. I retract that part of what I wrote. It was simply the only thing I found on that watch I have long wondered about. I will continue to wonder what the watch is, but my opinions on how and why Connery often wears it as opposed to a Submariner stay the same and have nothing to do with the other guy (with whom I have never corresponded and have no affiliations with). I feel like I am being attacked over a misunderstanding.

Yes, Matt, you are entitled to your own opinion. However, it may be influenced by how "you" think a man should dress. Perhaps that is why you found the gold watch apparently on your own. I have no problem with that whatsoever. Nevertheless, you also must be cognizant of the time frame in which the pictures were made, and that the producers wanted Bond associated with Rolex. That's if your looking for the truth and not merely trying to justify the way you believe things should be.

DG

The way I think a man should dress is largely based on things I learned from the way Connery dressed in his Bond films, which is one reason why I think the gold watch is relevant. I don't disagree that the producers wanted Bond to be associated with Rolex, which is why it is used in all close-ups (except for the Breitling). But because Connery wears the gold watch much more than the Rolex with his tailored clothing, I don't think it is fair to ignore the gold watch. To the original discussion of the NATO strap, it's only the context of Connery wearing it with his white dinner jacket that is the reason for it. That's why Connery never wears the Rolex with evening wear on any other occasion. However, it is only my opinion that the context of what Bond wears matters just as much as what he wears.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Yes, this is news to me. I'd not previously noticed Connery wearing a gold dress watch - whatever it may have been. -{
    welshboy78 wrote:

Hey Welshie - open your own webpage, deactivate comments and you can write every bullcrap that you want :D

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He writes enough of that here ! :p :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes but the comments are 'on' here :)) :)) :))

Right I'm deleting my posts and account :(
    No loss :D

You will have to perv on my "hulk" over at the Rolex forum instead :D
    I'm pretty flexible :D

'
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I misspoke. He does not actually give any proof to what the watch is. I'm sorry I brought up that guy and his article. I retract that part of what I wrote. It was simply the only thing I found on that watch I have long wondered about. I will continue to wonder what the watch is, but my opinions on how and why Connery often wears it as opposed to a Submariner stay the same and have nothing to do with the other guy (with whom I have never corresponded and have no affiliations with). I feel like I am being attacked over a misunderstanding.

Yes, Matt, you are entitled to your own opinion. However, it may be influenced by how "you" think a man should dress. Perhaps that is why you found the gold watch apparently on your own. I have no problem with that whatsoever. Nevertheless, you also must be cognizant of the time frame in which the pictures were made, and that the producers wanted Bond associated with Rolex. That's if your looking for the truth and not merely trying to justify the way you believe things should be.

DG

The way I think a man should dress is largely based on things I learned from the way Connery dressed in his Bond films, which is one reason why I think the gold watch is relevant. I don't disagree that the producers wanted Bond to be associated with Rolex, which is why it is used in all close-ups (except for the Breitling). But because Connery wears the gold watch much more than the Rolex with his tailored clothing, I don't think it is fair to ignore the gold watch. To the original discussion of the NATO strap, it's only the context of Connery wearing it with his white dinner jacket that is the reason for it. That's why Connery never wears the Rolex with evening wear on any other occasion. However, it is only my opinion that the context of what Bond wears matters just as much as what he wears.

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I happen to think you are wrong, but that's my opinion.
    DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Quite an interesting thread.

I've done my share of peering over Connery's watches, and other than Dr. No never noted any appearance of the "gold watch". Seems to me that what "counts" are the numerous close ups of the Rolex. As noted in an earlier post, in the 1960's close up shots of props were somewhat rare. If the director chose to shoot a close up of a watch, then it must have been purposeful. He might have wanted to show that it was 10 o'clock, but in the case of the Bond's Rolex clearly this was done to associate Bond with a particular timepiece.

Director Young may have been behind this since it is mostly in his films that the Rolex is so featured. If so, Young must not have been as concerned with Bond's handgun, even though it is the subject of an early scene in first film. How do we know that it was not an assistant director that did the watch close ups, or if the wrist on which the watch appears was Big Tam's or that of Richard Simmons? Maybe the repeat presence of the Rolex(s) is due to the diligence of a dedicated prop man?

In scenes where a watch appears on Connery's wrist, but only a sliver of metal is shown seem to me to be completely irrelevant to Bond's character, or the plot of the film. Is the mystery watch silver or gold? Who can tell for sure since the movie lights used to film the scene may have given the watch a particular cast.

Someday an intrepid fan will gain access to EON's records. If they are detailed enough, the source of these watches and their exact source and descriptions will be revealed. All this reminds me of the debates over the "NATO" strap, which is the original subject of this thread. At one time it was assumed the colors of said strap were black and grey, these days it's accepted that it was black, green and red ... speculation may be good fun, but it will never be definitive.
    7289 wrote:

I've done my share of peering over Connery's watches, and other than Dr. No never noted any appearance of the "gold watch". Seems to me that what "counts" are the numerous close ups of the Rolex. As noted in an earlier post, in the 1960's close up shots of props were somewhat rare. If the director chose to shoot a close up of a watch, then it must have been purposeful. He might have wanted to show that it was 10 o'clock, but in the case of the Bond's Rolex clearly this was done to associate Bond with a particular timepiece.

Director Young may have been behind this since it is mostly in his films that the Rolex is so featured. If so, Young must not have been as concerned with Bond's handgun, even though it is the subject of an early scene in first film. How do we know that it was not an assistant director that did the watch close ups, or if the wrist on which the watch appears was Big Tam's or that of Richard Simmons? Maybe the repeat presence of the Rolex(s) is due to the diligence of a dedicated prop man?

In scenes where a watch appears on Connery's wrist, but only a sliver of metal is shown seem to me to be completely irrelevant to Bond's character, or the plot of the film. Is the mystery watch silver or gold? Who can tell for sure since the movie lights used to film the scene may have given the watch a particular cast.

The gold watch is indeed irrelevant to the plot of the film (unlike the Rolex), though perhaps it's telling that the character often likes to wear an elegant dress watch with his suits. He only wears the Rolex with a suit or black tie when the tool is necessary (like when he needs the luminous dial in Dr. No, a shock-proof watch in From Russia with Love (when setting off the bomb at the embassy) and a diving watch in Goldfinger). That's the way I see it.
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    "Director Young may have been behind this since it is mostly in his films that the Rolex is so featured."

I thought that the Rolex WAS Young's personal watch. I thought I read or watched that somewhere.
    SFPROPS wrote:
    "Director Young may have been behind this since it is mostly in his films that the Rolex is so featured."

I thought that the Rolex WAS Young's personal watch. I thought I read or watched that somewhere.

The story is that it was Cubby's watch, hence why it was also in Goldfinger.
    CUBBY! I knew it was someone connected near the top.
    Matt S wrote:
    7289 wrote:

The gold watch is indeed irrelevant to the plot of the film (unlike the Rolex), though perhaps it's telling that the character often likes to wear an elegant dress watch with his suits. He only wears the Rolex with a suit or black tie when the tool is necessary (like when he needs the luminous dial in Dr. No, a shock-proof watch in From Russia with Love (when setting off the bomb at the embassy) and a diving watch in Goldfinger). That's the way I see it.

The literary Bond does not change his watch with his mode of dress. Most men of that era had one watch which was worn with everything. You are trying to project a modern day affectation, perhaps informed by tomes written by the likes of Allen Flusser, on 50's/60's era spy.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Matt S wrote:
    7289 wrote:

The literary Bond does not change his watch with his mode of dress. Most men of that era had one watch which was worn with everything. You are trying to project a modern day affectation, perhaps informed by tomes written by the likes of Allen Flusser, on 50's/60's era spy.

DG

But Connery's Bond often did change his watch with his mode of dress. It's evident in Goldfinger (amongst other examples) when he wears the Rolex with the black outfit on the laser table and switches to the dress watch when he changes into his grey glen check suit. He wears the dress watch with that suit and the two suits that follow it in the film. That is what this is informed by.
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

DG

But Connery's Bond often did change his watch with his mode of dress. It's evident in Goldfinger (amongst other examples) when he wears the Rolex with the black outfit on the laser table and switches to the dress watch when he changes into his grey glen check suit. He wears the dress watch with that suit and the two suits that follow it in the film. That is what this is informed by.

Yes, but you don't notice it unless, like you, you are specifically looking for it to prove your belief about how a man should dress. You are attributing the gold watch to modes of dress. When the more accurate reason probably had to do with the fact that the Rolex was not specifically needed for the scene and Cubby got his watch back. See the difference?

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I believe that it has been common practice in the film industry to have back up props for everything. It seems quite ridiculous to me that Cubby Broccoli would loan his personal and expensive watch to the production crew. Bond films were never made on the cheap, at least not so much so that they couldn't afford to buy or rent a couple of Rolex watches. The logistics of using someones personal watch would not be worth the time or trouble.

If this "watch loan" were true, it should be easily verified, by lots of folks who worked on the films.
    Let's take Cubby's position for a second:

"I own several nice watches so why should I rent for 15% (from retail) several watches with my own money when I can hand over my personal watch to the fella for free when we need it for a closeup shot"...

Matt S wrote:

DG

Yes, but you don't notice it unless, like you, you are specifically looking for it to prove your belief about how a man should dress. You are attributing the gold watch to modes of dress. When the more accurate reason probably had to do with the fact that the Rolex was not specifically needed for the scene and Cubby got his watch back. See the difference?

DG

Why don't subtle things in the films count? I don't buy that excuse. There are a lot of things the average viewer doesn't notice in Bond films that have meaning. Is there any proof that this watch is simply an oversight and isn't meant to be there? The watch is there and I don't understand why it must be ignored. You're basically saying I should think of it as a stand-in?
    Higgins wrote:
    Let's take Cubby's position for a second:

"I own several nice watches so why should I rent for 15% (from retail) several watches with my own money when I can hand over my personal watch to the fella for free when we need it for a closeup shot"...

This makes perfect sense.