NATO Watch strap basics

Comments

• The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I do like my Phoenix strap - I keep it clean by just jumping in the shower with it on - it's attached to a SM300, so it'd be rude not to get it wet every now and then.

The plus side is that if you keep wearing the strap as it dries, it'll mould to your wrist and the watch case too - making it more comfy.

The only downside to my NATO is the same with every NATO - the buckle sits high on the side of my wrist and as someone who normally likes the buckle under my wrist, it does annoy from time to time.

I'd thought about getting one of the Mk2 leather NATOs from here:

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/NATOG10.php

But I'm not sure that it'd fit between the spring bars and the case. Does anyone else know of a NATO where the buckle to case length is longer?

As to Omega making a bucket of cash out of this strap, you're so right. If Phoenix are making a profit on a £12 strap, you can bet that Omega are making easily over £120 on a £150 strap. That's some margin!
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    If possible I would like to see the source for the "Cubby" quote on loaning watches.

If the gold watch was indeed Big Tam's, it likely was a Timex.

Sometimes a watch is not a Rolex it is just ... a watch.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    If possible I would like to see the source for the "Cubby" quote on loaning watches.

I believe it's in James Bond: The Legacy.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on some of the DVD commentaries as well.
  • TheNextLeiterTheNextLeiter TexasPosts: 190MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the Help UNCLE and Grant. I'll try that later today.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    7289 wrote:

If the gold watch was indeed Big Tam's, it likely was a Timex.

Sometimes a watch is not a Rolex it is just ... a watch.

Look here:

http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/rolex-submariner/

Third paragraph under "The Choice Of Ian Fleming". Back at that time I provided all of my books and sources. Then Wen-Dell, not knowing where to look beforehand, started using all of my sources. He didn't have a clue prior to my article. So much for the self appointed expert.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    7289 wrote:
    DG

Thank You for the link!

You're welcome!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    No evidence but personally for me it does indeed look like they wanted Connery in a different watch then the Rolex on certain occasions when in certain attire. Seems far too much a coincidence that it happens in several films (not a one off) however since it is prob not a "star" brand suitable for Bond they maybe didn't want a close up!!

Here's a thought - what if this watch, Bonds first on screen (regardless of the above argument) was a vintage Omega - that would create some scandal wouldn't it!!!!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • TheNextLeiterTheNextLeiter TexasPosts: 190MI6 Agent
    I don't know how reliable this site is, but they claim Connery wore a Omega De Ville in FRWL

http://www.crownandcaliber.com/watches/omega/de-ville/
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    another webpage for Deaton's "Enemy-List"
    :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited March 2015
    welshboy78 wrote:
    No evidence but personally for me it does indeed look like they wanted Connery in a different watch then the Rolex on certain occasions when in certain attire. Seems far too much a coincidence that it happens in several films (not a one off) however since it is prob not a "star" brand suitable for Bond they maybe didn't want a close up!!

Here's a thought - what if this watch, Bonds first on screen (regardless of the above argument) was a vintage Omega - that would create some scandal wouldn't it!!!!!!

While anything is possible, I find it highly improbable particularly in light of what we know. We know that the producers wanted Bond associated with Rolex. Only the Rolex Submariner is shown in close up, the money shot. Asp9mm pointed out that in the Russian Embassy Bond is wearing the Rolex Submariner but then in the long shots, during the escape, he's wearing the gold watch again. I will add that once Bond and Tanya are back on the Orient Express while lounging Bond looks at his ROLEX SUBMARINER and says something like "it's almost 6 and we have to meet Kerim in the restaurant car". While I have not watched FRWL in a long time, I'm pretty certain it's the Rolex Submariner while lounging with Tanya on the Orient Express.

So, in order for the modes of dress watch change theory to be true, Bond should remain with the same watch per outfit. The watch should not change from scene to scene. Moreover, you have a secret agent escaping in a great hurry with a Russian spy, a lector, a small brief case and very little else, yet he's changing his watch in the middle of it? He brings an extra watch to change into while trying to stay one step ahead of the enemy? I mean how stupid is that?!!

It just doesn't make sense. But if that's what you choose to believe, knock yourself out.

DG

Edit: nock to knock
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Sometimes these ventures into to minutiae of a film seem to spin out of control.

James Bond wears a Rolex. If "Cubby" loaned his personal watch to the production, fine. But in that case, he could have easily given the production team an Explorer or a GMT. So it may or may not have been a fluke that Bond wore the Submariner.

The Bond films were never intended to be subjected to such scrutiny. I sure none of the people involved ever thought that films would be made into HD discs and watched frame by frame. That is why the Walther PPK in Dr. No is a PP, or a Browning or a Colt. It seems rather OCD to spend such effort over a "gold watch" that has no significance at all to Bond lore.

I like the Bond films - the first four especially. I enjoy seeing the props and behind the scenes stories. But after a certain point, leave the "discoveries" to folks who aside from OCD have other personal issues to work out. Sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the film?
    7289 wrote:
    Sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the film?

Then why even bother discussing anything about the films online? What's the point of being a Bond fan if we should think about the films on the same level as a casual viewer, who doesn't even notice the Rolex?
    I enjoyed the films for decades before I knew what a Rolex was ... I still counted myself a fan. We are taking about films here, and they are made to make money. Lot's of props in the last 50 years of Bond films are present only because someone paid to have them placed. They say nothing about the character of "James Bond".

There are certainly many levels of enjoyment. But, it's my opinion that sometime one has to keep some perspective when reviewing these films ... the "gold watch" and it's sartorial meaning seems to me one discussion that's a little off the rails.

Still it's an enjoyable read.
    7289 wrote:
    I enjoyed the films for decades before I knew what a Rolex was ... I still counted myself a fan. We are taking about films here, and they are made to make money. Lot's of props in the last 50 years of Bond films are present only because someone paid to have them placed. They say nothing about the character of "James Bond".

There are certainly many levels of enjoyment. But, it's my opinion that sometime one has to keep some perspective when reviewing these films ... the "gold watch" and it's sartorial meaning seems to me one discussion that's a little off the rails.

Still it's an enjoyable read.

Sure. Enjoying the films and talking about watches and other small details are removed from each other for me. The only watches that have true significance to simply watching the films are the ones with gadgets. I'd actually say that of all of Sean Connery's watches, the Breitling Top Time is the only one with significance in his films. The Rolex doesn't have the honour of having a place in the story until LALD.
    Matt S wrote:
    I'd actually say that of all of Sean Connery's watches, the Breitling Top Time is the only one with significance in his films. The Rolex doesn't have the honour of having a place in the story until LALD.

Sorry, but I have to disagree here.
    If in doubt, I'd say it started with Goldfinger PTS, but imo it bold and significant with Rolex and Dr. No and I am not speaking about the dress watch....

edited March 2015
    7289 wrote:
    Sometimes these ventures into to minutiae of a film seem to spin out of control.

James Bond wears a Rolex. If "Cubby" loaned his personal watch to the production, fine. But in that case, he could have easily given the production team an Explorer or a GMT. So it may or may not have been a fluke that Bond wore the Submariner.

The Bond films were never intended to be subjected to such scrutiny. I sure none of the people involved ever thought that films would be made into HD discs and watched frame by frame. That is why the Walther PPK in Dr. No is a PP, or a Browning or a Colt. It seems rather OCD to spend such effort over a "gold watch" that has no significance at all to Bond lore.

I like the Bond films - the first four especially. I enjoy seeing the props and behind the scenes stories. But after a certain point, leave the "discoveries" to folks who aside from OCD have other personal issues to work out. Sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the film?

Plus James Bond is a carnal animal. A tough guy. A blunt instrument. He drinks, fu<Ks, smokes, drives fast and takes risks all for Queen and country. He is not the dandy who changes his wristwatch with every outfit, despite the fact that that is what he has become in the movies to sell Omega. To him, a watch is just a tool to tell time and to punch bad-guys with. When his watch breaks he gets another one of suitable quality and taste.

This is not a dig on Daniel Craig's Bond. I think Craig is the best Bond since Connery and Lazenby. But, apart from being Bond, he also has to help sell watches.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Kaleema007Kaleema007 Posts: 322MI6 Agent
    SFPROPS wrote:
    Connery's wasn't really a "NATO" strap. I believe they called those back then "regimental" straps. His was black, green and dark red.

More modern nylon straps (NATO) have metal strap holders in addition to the metal clasp.

In the images I've seen of Connery's NATO or Regimental (whatever) it doesn't look black but rather a navy with red and olive green. Plus all the other straps that have been produced and based on the Connery version all seem to share that same color pattern. I've been wrong before though...
    Shocking...
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    edited April 2015
    This is not intended to be the definitive answer, more of a quick guide...

In the beginning was a grainy picture, a screen grab from a 50 year old film that lasted less than a second...

image.jpg

In the UK, GQ Magazine ran an article on Bond Style and the strap was mentioned as being Black/Grey NATO style strap. It is believed they commissioned Phoenix Straps (The UK MOD Contractor) to reproduce the strap.

image.jpg

Others copied this idea and the Bond Strap was born. Most of the copies produced a NATO Strap with equal spaced stripes.

image.jpg

Then came HD and Blueray Discs and it became clear (to some - others disagreed!) that the Strap was Dark Blue/Khaki/Red and they produced this asthe True Bond NATO Strap.

image.jpg

In fact, in Goldfinger and Thunderball, Bond didn't wear a NATO Strap at all! He wore a single piece Nylon Strap with a Cloth Keeper and Rounded Buckle. Bond's strap was also too small for his watch! This has also been produced.

image.jpg

Then, in 2015 Omega produce their own version of the NATO Strap, stick it on Bonds wrist in SPECTRE and charge 10x the cost of any other NATO Strap...
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    I always see it as black, dark red and green. Black often times has a slight bluish tint onscreen.
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    This is not intended to be the definitive answer, more of a quick guide...

In the beginning was a grainy picture, a screen grab from a 50 year old film that lasted less than a second...

image.jpg

In the UK, GQ Magazine ran an article on Bond Style and the strap was mentioned as being Black/Grey NATO style strap. It is believed they commissioned Phoenix Straps (The UK MOD Contractor) to reproduce the strap.

image.jpg

Others copied this idea and the Bond Strap was born. Most of the copies produced a NATO Strap with equal spaced stripes.

image.jpg

Then came HD and Blueray Discs and it became clear (to some - others disagreed!) that the Strap was Dark Blue/Khaki/Red and they produced this asthe True Bond NATO Strap.

image.jpg

In fact, in Goldfinger and Thunderball, Bond didn't wear a NATO Strap at all! He wore a single piece Nylon Strap with a Cloth Keeper and Rounded Buckle. Bond's strap was also too small for his watch! This has also been produced.

image.jpg

Then, in 2015 Omega produce their own version of the NATO Strap, stick it on Bonds wrist in SPECTRE and charge 10x the cost of any other NATO Strap...

For you to provide all these images and info... Mad respect
    Shocking...
    It still looks the navy with olive green/khaki and red trim to me. This is my NATO version based on the Connery strap that I puchased from WatchGecko

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Shocking...
    Since the nylon strap shows up in "Goldfinger", is it possible that the watch in the first two films belonged to "Cubby" and that for the third and fourth films EON acquired a similar Rolex, and installed the nylon Scuba worthy strap.

Seems rather "cheeky" to be changing straps on the bosses watch!
    edited April 2015
    Watch straps are not for eternity.

While you have a point, it may also have been that the dark strap from the first movies just has been worn out and had to be replaced ;)

Higgins wrote:
    Watch straps are not for eternity.

While you have a point, it may also have been that the dark strap from the first movies just has been worn out and had to be replaced ;)

Yes. And since they actually needed the Rolex to go in the water in GF, the black leather/skin band from the first two Bond films really wouldn't have worked.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Can you please prefix your post with Dr No, From Russia With Love & Goldfiger so that members who haven't yet seen these films are not affected by the Rolex spoilers :v
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Can you please prefix your post with Dr No, From Russia With Love & Goldfiger so that members who haven't yet seen these films are not affected by the Rolex spoilers :v

:D You scamp you :))
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent

WHAT?!?!?! When did these films come out???? :)) :)) :))

As for NATO straps, I got the black and grey strap (not the Omega one) and I have to say, it does give my watch more of an "action" feel.

Not sure I like the Connery strap but I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying one just because...
    I personally like the unicoloured Natos much better - Omega or not