NATO Watch strap basics

1235»

Comments

• JackieHJackieH Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Here is my NDS on a Phoenix G10, modified by Phoenix themselves to look more like the Connery spec strap. Whilst I'm very happy with how it looks, unfortunately it is subject to significant fraying at the none-buckle end. Whilst this is of course inevitable with a nylon strap, I expected it to hold out a bit longer than it did (it's only a month old). The Phoenix straps are MOD issue and a little bit more expensive than some of the alternatives.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Nice watch and welcome to the board! {[]

Please allow me one remark re. naming which I've learnt some years ago:

The original Submariner started without a Date. So it's still being called the Submariner
    Later came the Date and this is called the Submariner Date.

It's also written on the dial like that ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    btt: I find the MARATAC Composite strap quite a good alternative to the NATO STRAPS:

dsc00812tac5hmkpr2.jpg

• Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    JackieH wrote:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Here is my NDS on a Phoenix G10, modified by Phoenix themselves to look more like the Connery spec strap. Whilst I'm very happy with how it looks, unfortunately it is subject to significant fraying at the none-buckle end. Whilst this is of course inevitable with a nylon strap, I expected it to hold out a bit longer than it did (it's only a month old). The Phoenix straps are MOD issue and a little bit more expensive than some of the alternatives.

If they are fraying simply take a cigarette lighter and (gently) heat the end of the strap above the flame (don't actually touch the flame with the end of the strap).
    It will look like new in seconds.
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
    Cauterize the strap. Good idea thanks, I'll give that a go.
  • WardWard Maryland/LondonPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    Gents,
    thanks for all your replies and insight.

I have a blue submariner-style watch for daily wear, will also pick up one with a black dial and add a "NATO" strap for the weekends.
  • cyclones122cyclones122 Posts: 192MI6 Agent
    Higgins, that strap looks pretty good! What model is the strap?
    As said. Manufacturer = Maratac
    Strap name = Composite strap.

• cyclones122cyclones122 Posts: 192MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    As said. Manufacturer = Maratac
    Strap name = Composite strap.

Thanks Higgins. {[] I just wanted to confirm the strap name, as it looks like they have a bunch different models that look similar in the pics.
    Higgins wrote:
    btt: I find the MARATAC Composite strap quite a good alternative to the NATO STRAPS:

dsc00812tac5hmkpr2.jpg

What kind of Submariner is this? I'm not an expert but I see it doesn't have crown guards, and unless my eyes deceive me, it doesn't appear to have the date magnifier. I haven't seen this configuration before.
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    JackieH wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

dsc00812tac5hmkpr2.jpg

What kind of Submariner is this? I'm not an expert but I see it doesn't have crown guards, and unless my eyes deceive me, it doesn't appear to have the date magnifier. I haven't seen this configuration before.

It is a 16610 LV custom {[]

• SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

That thread is a great read. Beautiful watch too, very desirable -{