Sick of all the constant post-Spectre Bond media speculation

Comments

• lippelippe Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Apparently he's contracted until 2020

Part of October's press cycle should see Craig confirm whether he'll be back or not. The most common questions put to him will be a bout Bond 25 so, if there's any contract for him to come back, we'll find out then.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    He'd be mental to leave, Spectre will be huge. Also, as long as he plays Bond, he's one of the biggest movie stars in the world
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:
    He'd be mental to leave, Spectre will be huge. Also, as long as he plays Bond, he's one of the biggest movie stars in the world

But also being typecast is likely to kill any post-Bond career prospects. Which he may be happy with, but I doubt it.
    Jag wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

But also being typecast is likely to kill any post-Bond career prospects. Which he may be happy with, but I doubt it.

Hmm I would disagree here. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan have both had quite prolific and successful careers post-Bond, Connery in particular. The man won an oscar for The Untouchables, and he has been in many acclaimed and financially successful films. Craig I feel would do fine, as he had already established himself as a fine actor before Bond in acclaimed films such as Road To Perdition, Munich, Layer Cake, etc... and since becoming 007 he has done other noteworthy projects such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Tintin. He is well-respected as an actor and is noted for his versatility, so I think that he would have no trouble in landing other quality roles after he's hung up the shoulder holster :)
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Yes he was very good in TGWTDT. Still supposed to be a sequel. Although I will say it takes a few scenes to know he won't be shooting anything haha.
    eric7064 wrote:
    Yes he was very good in TGWTDT. Still supposed to be a sequel. Although I will say it takes a few scenes to know he won't be shooting anything haha.

Haha yes I feel the same way when I see him in something. Whenever I see him in something else I get this buzz when he comes on the screen. It's just the aura of Bond I suppose :)) 8-)
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Jag wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Hmm I would disagree here. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan have both had quite prolific and successful careers post-Bond, Connery in particular. The man won an oscar for The Untouchables, and he has been in many acclaimed and financially successful films. Craig I feel would do fine, as he had already established himself as a fine actor before Bond in acclaimed films such as Road To Perdition, Munich, Layer Cake, etc... and since becoming 007 he has done other noteworthy projects such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Tintin. He is well-respected as an actor and is noted for his versatility, so I think that he would have no trouble in landing other quality roles after he's hung up the shoulder holster :)

The main thing is for the actor to know when to quit the role. Connery has overstayed it slightly, as he was still tempted to play Bond – just for the money - despite losing interest in the role. Yes, he made quite a few good movies after Bond, but note how long it took him to get the first good non-Bond role – not until he no longer looked like Bond! Brosnan managed to quit just in time. The best thing for Craig would be to quit after Spectre – while he is still ahead. And if he is not ahead (i.e. if Spectre should turn out to be a flop – all the more reason to quit. In Skyfall he was already looking much older than Moore did in his last 007 film, as most of us noted at the time. Pumping steroids won’t help much!
    Revolver66 wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

Haha yes I feel the same way when I see him in something. Whenever I see him in something else I get this buzz when he comes on the screen. It's just the aura of Bond I suppose :)) 8-)

I'm the opposite, actually. Every time I see DC in a Bond movie, to me it is that slightly geeky guy from another movie... :))
    Jag wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

I'm the opposite, actually. Every time I see DC in a Bond movie, to me it is that slightly geeky guy from another movie... :))

Haha, obviously not a Craig fan :p Each to their own. However I would have to once again disagree with you in regards to Connery, as he landed a few good roles in some great flicks in the early to mid - 70s, not too long after leaving Bond in 71. There was the Anderson Tapes in 71, and Murder on the Orient Express and The Man Who Would be King a few years later, both of which were nominated for oscars (6 and 4 respectively). So in actuality, he didn't have to wait too long.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    whilst I'm a GREAT Brosnan fan (some people might know on here) I think that his post-Bond career hasn't brought forward many "good" movies :/
    the one I probably like best is After the sunset...
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    Yes I see what you mean. However he's made a few. Matador is a good one, so is The Ghost Writer, which was made by Roman Polanski, and Mammia Mia, whilst perhaps not a good movie, was a smash at the box office. What I meant by mentioning Brosnan is that he's working regularly, making 2 or 3 movies a year. So while not all of them are quality flicks, it's not like the man is struggling to find work.
    haven't seen all of them but I think Pierce has made his money allready so that he isn't bothered too much
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    The only good roles I can remember Connery for after Bond involve grey hair and a beard - both a good disguise. And, most of the movies he played in 10-20 years after Bond are not very good at all.
    In your eyes, sure. However it is undeniable that throughout the 70s he was in quite a few movies that were well regarded and financially successful
    I haven't seen too many of Connery's "earlier" movies but I liked the ones he did in the 90's/00's
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    After leaving Bond Connery did seem to have a few years almost in the wilderness but I think this was
    mainly down to him wanting to do very different roles to Bond, hence why he did some smaller budget
    more dramatic films like " The Offence" etc. ( Only my opinion ) ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Jag wrote:

The main thing is for the actor to know when to quit the role. Connery has overstayed it slightly, as he was still tempted to play Bond – just for the money - despite losing interest in the role. Yes, he made quite a few good movies after Bond, but note how long it took him to get the first good non-Bond role – not until he no longer looked like Bond! Brosnan managed to quit just in time. The best thing for Craig would be to quit after Spectre – while he is still ahead. And if he is not ahead (i.e. if Spectre should turn out to be a flop – all the more reason to quit. In Skyfall he was already looking much older than Moore did in his last 007 film, as most of us noted at the time. Pumping steroids won’t help much!

Brosnan was dropped. He didn't quit.

Craig didn't look older in Skyfall than Roger Moore did in AVTAK. You might be confusing him with one of Moore's stunt doubles.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Brosnan was dropped. He didn't quit.

Craig didn't look older in Skyfall than Roger Moore did in AVTAK. You might be confusing him with one of Moore's stunt doubles.

Craig in Skyfall looks about the same as Moore did in OP.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Respectfully disagree!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Craig was supposed to look tired, worn out in Skyfall, that's the point. ;)
    so he could be refreshed and eager to get started again by the end of it. -{
    ( or at least when he removed the bullet fragnents which were making him sick)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    After leaving Bond Connery did seem to have a few years almost in the wilderness but I think this was
    mainly down to him wanting to do very different roles to Bond, hence why he did some smaller budget
    more dramatic films like " The Offence" etc. ( Only my opinion ) ;)

But it was only three years. Just three years after Bond he did Murder on the Orient Express, and the next year he did the excellent film The Man Who Would Be King. In the 80s he did Highlander, The Untouchables and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. In the 90s he did The Hunt for Red October, The Russia House and The Rock. There are others. Connery did not have a difficult time at all after Bond.
    So you see he made more good films in the 80's and 90's than in the 70's?
    70s - The Anderson Tapes, The Offence, Murder on the Orient Express, The Man Who Would Be King, Robin and Marion, The Great Train Robbery, A Bridge Too Far.

80s - Time Bandits, The Name of the Rose, The Untouchables, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

90s - The Hunt for Red October, The Rock, Entrapment.

In terms of quantity, 70s wins
    Jag wrote:
    So you see he made more good films in the 80's and 90's than in the 70's?

I did say "there are others". Revolver66 has a great list of Connery's great films. I haven't seen all of them he lists, but I've seen most of them. And dare I mention Zardoz? It's a low point in Connery's career right after Bond, but I still found the film entertaining.
    Speaking of Zardoz, check this:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlBJ4gyIEAA9BXo.jpg:large :)) :))
    Oh, come on@ Zardoz was Connery's best film between Bond and The Name of the Rose!
    Jag wrote:
    Oh, come on@ Zardoz was Connery's best film between Bond and The Name of the Rose!

So you haven't seen the numerous truly great films Connery made in the 70s?
    A few were mildly good, but only one or two really very good...
  • double o egodouble o ego Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    lippe wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Apparently he's contracted until 2020

Part of October's press cycle should see Craig confirm whether he'll be back or not. The most common questions put to him will be a bout Bond 25 so, if there's any contract for him to come back, we'll find out then.

He won't give a clear answer. He'll just say, "we'll see how this one (SPECTRE) does first".
  • double o egodouble o ego Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Jag wrote:

Brosnan didn't quit he was told by the producers that he's not coming back. Craig's older look in SF was deliberate to emphasise what the character was going through. In his interviews and promo/press rounds keep looked younger and better than he did in the movie. In SF Craig looks better than he did in SF. Personally, I think what they did with Bond in SF should have been reserved for Craig's last Bond movie but whatever its done. I think Craig looks great and is fit enough to do 2 more at the most but I'm not bothered if he comes back for a 6th. I think him coming back to do a 5th is more than doable and I'm expecting him to do so.