Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    OK, so I'm off on holiday end of next week, I've got a pretty decent bond inspired wardrobe sorted, just one thing has eluded me and that's the morrocco suede jacket, my own one looks the part and is very similar but it's just too heavy a suede to wear in a hot climate, I looked at Shiltons matchless for sale but can't justify the money for another sand suede jacket. After looking at all the other suggestions I landed on this at zara
    http://m.zara.com/uk/en/man/jackets/suedette-jacket-c496501p3611185.html
    A bit dark I know but for 29.99 gbp I've pulled the trigger it might just serve so I can wear one of the morrocco outfits. I'm taking the linen blazer also but as a tie will not be necessary I think I'll pair that with the chinos, boots and sky blue linen shirt.
    It's certainly budget and looks the part and looks light construction but I've never had a faux suede or suedette product before, I'll give my impressions if anyone is interested.

I tried on the suedette jacket today. The Large was a bit too tight in the shoulder and upper arm while great in the body and the XL was a tent. So I continue to strike out with Zara jackets. I really didn't notice the stitching on the blue, I was focused on fit. As for the tan, in the store lighting it was more of a dark butterscotch with a slight orange-y undertone. I was not a fan.

I happened to be wearing a lightweight fake suede blouson while shopping. It can get quite hot in direct sunlight after a while. I imaging real suede will as well.

Switching to the Mango K Racer alternative, I almost pulled the trigger on it, but the panels and seams on the front stopped me. The new version from Mango is a better design, but it comes only in Gray and Black. For now a skip, but maybe if they go on sale.

Just goes to show that individual taste will win out on these budget (or original) items. What is close enough will vary from person to person as will what is an acceptable style. What may look good on one person may not work for others; eyeglasses being a perfect example.
    drum007 wrote:
    J Crew has a great alternative to the Morocco suede jacket. Here's the extensive review on dappered:

https://dappered.com/2016/08/in-review-the-j-crew-factory-suede-cafe-racer-jacket/

Nice find. I wonder if any of the J Crew Factory stores near me have it.

BTW, Drum007 I envy you the find of the Smash shirt. None of the Marshall's around me even carry the brand.

I have had similar issues with zara jackets, the blue goat suede jacket which is incredibly similar to the varvatos fits me perfectly in XL, but I bought another K racer type jacket and that is just as you say too tight on the shoulders and upper arms, I will see what this suedette item is like tomorrow when it arrives and put up some pictures if all is well.
    The mango applique fitted perfectly on me in the XL, room to move but still fitted in appearance.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    I happened to be wearing a lightweight fake suede blouson while shopping. It can get quite hot in direct sunlight after a while. I imaging real suede will as well.

That's one of the reasons I try to avoid suedette, microsuede, pleather, faux leather, etc in the posts. I had one and it was just unbearably hot, especially where I live. Genuine suede and leather is also warm, but at least it breathes a little.
    Switching to the Mango K Racer alternative, I almost pulled the trigger on it, but the panels and seams on the front stopped me. The new version from Mango is a better design, but it comes only in Gray and Black. For now a skip, but maybe if they go on sale.

Just goes to show that individual taste will win out on these budget (or original) items. What is close enough will vary from person to person as will what is an acceptable style. What may look good on one person may not work for others; eyeglasses being a perfect example.

I know it's not DC accurate, but I'm actually kind of happy the Mango comes in black now. I think my wife would have killed me if another blue jacket showed up at the door. But black? Black I can justify!

Just out of curiosity, did you see that new option from Diesel?
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    I did see the Diesel options in your post. Tempting. I looked at the high res images on Amazon. I'm unsure about the back hem of all things. I'd overlook it for $75. Not sure at $150.

If I decided to order I'd have to get a couple sizes to try on. It's fit seems to be quite small.

Oh, I ordered the COS Johnny collar polo. At $11 why not?
    New post: The James Bond cream colored linen suit:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/08/18/james-bond-cream-linen-suit/

May be getting a little late in the summer for a linen suit, but there are some great deals right now.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    edited August 2016
    canoe2 wrote:

May be getting a little late in the summer for a linen suit, but there are some great deals right now.

Depends on where you live. Here in Florida it's still too hot to even think about wearing a linen suit, or shoes with socks for that matter. in Florida, linen suits are reserved for December :)) a nice cream linen suit would put me in the Christmas spirit. I hate Florida weather :#
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

Depends on where you live. Here in Florida it's still too hot to even think about wearing a linen suit, or shoes with socks for that matter. in Florida, linen suits are reserved for December :)) a nice cream linen suit would put me in the Christmas spirit. I hate Florida weather :#

Haha that's so true, this summer has been horrendous. I like living in Jacksonville, but the weather is getting insane.
    clublos wrote:
    canoe2 wrote:

Haha that's so true, this summer has been horrendous. I like living in Jacksonville, but the weather is getting insane.

Then buy I linen suit I say! :p Seriously, where I live it's 25C to 35C year round and linen is my favorite fabric EVER.

New post from Mr. James Brosnan: a look at the surcingle belt from LaLD and FYEO!

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/08/01/james-bond-surcingle-belt/
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    Went to H&M yesterday to have a look at the linen blazer and found a so-called "premium quality natural linen" shirt which basically looks like the Uniqlo but without the chest pocket. So a very good OB alternative at 29,99€. Regular fit, but sizing down works.

However I can't find it anywhere online... Might be worth it to check your local stores (if existent). This was in a "H&M Man" store in Berlin.
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,368MI6 Agent
    Just in case, Orlebar Menlo shirt is now on sale for GBP 95...
    How's everyone's Sunday going?

Post updates on the Acne Wall St trousers with some very solid new alternatives for under $100. No side tab adjusters unfortunately, but good color/fabric matches.

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/02/04/acne-studios-wall-street-shark-trousers-from-skyfall/

I have a special post coming tomorrow on a deal I worked out with Indy. I'm very interested to know what you guys think.
  • MrIceGuyMrIceGuy AUSTRALIAPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    MrIceGuy wrote:
    Ok. Thought i would take some snaps of my morocco outfits as recently shaved the beard and also found another jacket alternative in the thrift shop for $8. And new belt and tie arrived. Photos were taken at sundown giving that golden look. Also cant decide what jacket i think is more SA.

Outfit 1

Jacket- Staford slim fit... thanks canoe2.
    Pants- daved johns chino
    Belt- torino leather co. #56591
    Tie- Frederick thomas
    Shoes G.H Bass & Co
    Watch & sunnys are SA
    20160815_174139.jpg

20160815_174533.jpg

Outfit 2
    Jacket- Rodd & Gunn ($8 thrif) normally around 300-400. Cotton linen blend.
    Pants- daved johns chino
    Belt- torino leather co. #56591
    Tie- Frederick thomas
    Shoes G.H Bass & Co
    Watch & sunnys are SA

20160815_173853.jpg

20160815_174751.jpg

Screenshot_20160822_085608.png
  • Obi Sean KenobiObi Sean Kenobi Posts: 215MI6 Agent
    Outfit looks great. Think the tie looks a little too short. Sean
    The post on the James Bond ties is live! As I said, I did something different with this "Bond Under $50" post. I've been looking for months now for alternatives for Craig's ties but honestly nothing has really worked for me. So I asked Indy Magnoli if he could cut us a deal on his replicas, and he agreed to take $10 off the price of his Connery knit ties and Craig ties. Use the code "ICONIC" at the checkout to get the discount. The knit ties are now $45 and the Craig ties are $50.

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/08/22/james-bond-ties/

And just so everything is transparent: I'm not getting anything out of this (no affiliate links, no free ties, no advertising or sponsorship fee). I was just getting really frustrated trying to find decent options from other brands and Indy agreed to help me out. Thanks Indy!
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    The post on the James Bond ties is live! As I said, I did something different with this "Bond Under $50" post. I've been looking for months now for alternatives for Craig's ties but honestly nothing has really worked for me. So I asked Indy Magnoli if he could cut us a deal on his replicas, and he agreed to take $10 off the price of his Connery knit ties and Craig ties. Use the code "ICONIC" at the checkout to get the discount. The knit ties are now $45 and the Craig ties are $50.

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/08/22/james-bond-ties/

And just so everything is transparent: I'm not getting anything out of this (no affiliate links, no free ties, no advertising or sponsorship fee). I was just getting really frustrated trying to find decent options from other brands and Indy agreed to help me out. Thanks Indy!

That's awesome! Thanks for doing this Indy and thanks canoe2 for getting that deal for us all.

I too have had the same problems finding ties that even closely resemble those and can't find even one anywhere. This is much appreciated! -{
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • MrIceGuyMrIceGuy AUSTRALIAPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    As always love your work canoe2. Keep up the good work!!!! -{ -{ {[]
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Has anyone purchased the Florsheim Constables as an alternative to the Church Ryders? Any feedback?
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Haven't been on in a while but am inspired to come back after finding a potential Neil Barrett Spectre trouser alternative at Costco...

These are English Laundry jeans that cost $19.99.... the design is a pretty decent match but they are jeans, as opposed to (what I'm assuming are) the dress pant feel of the Neil Barretts.

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Has anyone purchased the Florsheim Constables as an alternative to the Church Ryders? Any feedback?

Hi Cheverian, I'm happy with mine! I also bought the same pair in black for the Tetbury's. They break in pretty fast and I find them to be comfy, even walking around the streets of New York. The Goodyear welted sole is a bonus too! If you can snag a pair on sale, I would go for them.

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Thanks, Drum!
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before but this ($299) Cole Haan leather jacket could be a Dunhill Layer Cake alternate.....

http://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/product/men-clothing-jackets-hoodies/Smooth-Leather-Shirt-Collar-Jacket/1000124425?colorId=NS1003537&pos=1:7&N=3781345141

tjx?set=DisplayName[e3],prd[1000124425_NS1003537],ag[yes]&call=url[file:tjxrPRD2.chain]
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
    Enjoying Death and MrIceGuy: glad you like it! I'm trying to do more of this kind of stuff to help us all out.

armenianmovieman: welcome back! What's the fit like on the Costco jeans? Unfortunately, I can't view TJMaxx in my country. But I'm heading to the States for business in a couple of days. Can you send an ID number or model number?

New post is up! A review of the Gagliardi chalk herringbone linen cotton suit PLUS a "4 Ways to Wear It" (just in case a cream colored linen suit feels a little threatening :v ):

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/08/23/gagliardi-linen-cotton-suit-review/

Sorry, I just can't let go of the summer quite yet ... -{
    edited August 2016
    Possible Spectre ties? These seem to have the similar solid/diagonal weave. The Mexico is probably a stretch as it looks a lot darker on film. They may even be found at cheaper prices:

Geoffrey Beene
    Bias Stripe Solid Tie Sale
    $32.99 USD

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/geoffrey-beene-bias-stripe-solid-tie?ID=1981856&CategoryID=53239#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D578%26ruleId%3D54|BS|BA%26slotId%3D31%26rdppSegmentId%3D1922%3ARR

Mexico
    macys_o_scene7_1.jpg

London
    macys_o_scene7_2.jpg

Blofield Lair
    macys_o_scene7.jpg

Comparison with the Tom Ford's which another member here owns
    0381.jpg
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Good find on those... The tie bar has similar ties .. do a search for solid color grosgrain ties..

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/35774sk
    Oh yeah, these might be way better. Thanks MFisher!
    Really nice finds on the ties, guys! Anyone want to write a post for the site on them? Seriously, PM me; I'm travelling right now but I'll reply ASAP.

Updates to the TF Morocco Johnny collar polo shirt:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2015/12/05/tom-ford-banded-hem-johnny-collar-polo/
    My zara suedette jacket arrived last week and first impressions are good, I was unsure about a faux suede item as I've never owned one before and this is due to go on holiday with me tomorrow.
    http://m.zara.com/uk/en/man/jackets/suedette-jacket-c496501p3646577.html
    First off the colour is darker than I would like but it serves the purpose of getting the morrocco look and goes well with the chinos and Magnoli Johnny collar polo. It is very light and given rat most suede jackets have a polyester lining should be fine in warm climates. The fit is excellent tbh I'm 6'4" with a 44 " chest and the XL is perfect, even on the arms which is usually a sticking point for me having quite large shoulders and upper arms 17" ish biceps. It's comfortable so much so I'm opting to wear the whole outfit to travel to my destination in. For the price this is excellent, if you don't mind the slightly darker colour I'd recommend this jacket. I will get some pics of this outfit while on holiday.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Quick advice question - I'm thinking of getting a Barbour jacket from eBay and was wondering about sizing. I generally take a Small in all my jackets, but from what I recall on here one should size up with Barbour. Is that correct? There are a few mediums on Ebay but I wanted to check before I bid. Thanks!
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
    I've never heard of sizing up with barbour, I've always bought an XL for a 44 " chest, and had ample room, I don't think barbour go in for vanity sizing, you could do worse than check their sizing guide on their website.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    edited August 2016
    Quick advice question - I'm thinking of getting a Barbour jacket from eBay and was wondering about sizing. I generally take a Small in all my jackets, but from what I recall on here one should size up with Barbour. Is that correct? There are a few mediums on Ebay but I wanted to check before I bid. Thanks!

The sizing up idea might be correct. For a really tight, slim fit, I usually need an XXS in jackets; so I'm usually out of luck. But, I got my Barbour in XS (as that is as small as they make), and the jacket is a tight slim fit in the chest, perfect sleeve length and jacket length. So, in essence, I did size up for this jacket. Because, when I put it into the perspective of the Menlo, I would have needed an XXS Menlo (if they made that size) to get the same fit as my XS Barbour. But, I like my Menlo a little large, because it gives me room to grow. So, sizing up on the Barbour might give you room to grow, where your normal size might be overly restrictive.

Also, I can't recommend the Barbour enough, it's such a unique jacket and I always feel like a million bucks wearing it. It's just so artistic and affluent and yet rustic at the same time, I love everything about it. It is best for outdoors and cold weather. For me, this is not the kind of jacket I can wear in 60 F or walking around a shopping center or airport or traveling by plane. It's just not that jacket and was never made to be that jacket. So, it's just something to keep in mind. It has to be 50 F or less and rain is preferred, and I still have to take it off when I get inside. But, I live in Florida, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Hope this helps. -{
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Thanks James, that's what I thought! There are some nice Mediums on there, and I want it for exactly what you described- winter/autumn walks in the woods:-)
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1