Bond 25, shooting news and Rumours. ( possible Spoilers)

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Of that group, only Tamahori has made a Bond film that I truly can't stand to watch. The others (GE, CR, QoS), while being taste-specific, are all in the top half of my list.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Based on my impressions, QoS is rated below average..... errrr...... on average among AJB members.

I wasn't aware that 'least popular' meant 'below average' :s
    YNWA 97
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I wasn't aware qos was below average or unpopular, it gets a lot of love on other threads and has far more going for it than the detractors will admit.
    I think qos has matured nicely and will hold up well.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Yes, sir Miles, I'm whimping out a bit here :D
    Number24 wrote:
    Yes, sir Miles, I'm whimping out a bit here :D

No, it's fine...I love QoS and will defend it stoutly -{

It's certainly a film that has started to get a lot more love over the past two years...
    YNWA 97
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    It's certainly a film that has started to get a lot more love over the past two years...

Do you think that has anything to do with the poor reception of Spectre?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I certainly do, ever since Spectre I have seen a lot of people come out of the woodwork who have a renewed and positive outlook on QOS. Whereas when it was the one film lodged between two the of the most revered in the series it got a lot more flak.
  • BroccoliBroccoli Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    SPECTRE has mixed reviews, I'd hardly give it a poor reception.
    SPECTRE was a huge commercial success. My impression (why do I keep doing this to myself?) Is that few see it as a future classic, but most enjoyed it. Calling the respetion "poor" seems exagerated at best.
    Broccoli wrote:
    SPECTRE has mixed reviews, I'd hardly give it a poor reception.

I was referring to people here. Though it is by far my favourite of Craig's films, most people here didn't think so highly of it since time has passed.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I'm lukewarm about both SP and QOS but for totally different reasons.

QOS was rushed into production before the script was ready and it shows. Scenes aren't properly payed out, the structure is confusing, and although there are multiple themes raised (loyalty, honor, revenge) none is truly focused. The script needed at least a couple more re-writes

SP was at the other end of the spectrum. It looked like it had too many re-writes. It had stuff that made it through to the final that was obviously from an earlier version (the bit with Bond and Moneypenny in his apartment where they go through the stuff that survived the fire, one of which is a photo partly burned which would have just happened to show the guy who will be the villain).
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

No...I noticed more people started to warm to QoS about a year after it's release...although I don't think it was that badly thought of in the first place...

Now to convert Barbel to the delights of Another Way To Die :D
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

You'd have to first consider it something other than music. Find another angle!
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I find it bewildering that I appear in a minority of one in loving this :o :))
    YNWA 97
    i don't! :))
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I never thought it was that awful either, I wouldn't listen to it by choice, but it was serviceable for the movie.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Maybe a minority of two. It's one of my favorite Bond themes, from one of my favorite Bond movies.

Actually, one of the DJs at our local college radio station plays 'Another Way to Die' every so often, so maybe a minority of three.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I much prefer it to both Die Another Day and The Writings on the Wall!
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    The DAD theme remains in its own stratosphere as my most disliked Bond theme. I don't care for Another Day To Die also. I might be in the minority (at least on the AJB) but I like The Writing's On The Wall (except for the falsetto part...should have had a female singer do that part).
    Gareth Edwards? Probably way too big a name these days. If you want hard assed gritty Bond, American director David Ayer could be interesting. Denis Villenueve, who is Canadian, directed Prisoners and Sicario (which is a great film that I highly recommend). Villenueve is masterful at doing action that has some real real suspense to it which I think is an important ingredient for an exceptional Bond film. I think he could bring the "thriller" aspect back to Bond. He's also a very good script writer which wouldn't hurt either.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Maybe a minority of two. It's one of my favorite Bond themes, from one of my favorite Bond movies.

Actually, one of the DJs at our local college radio station plays 'Another Way to Die' every so often, so maybe a minority of three.

Looks like we are getting a little appreciation society together -{
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Suddenly people like AWTD ! ....... I'd be checking to see if those Russian hackers have
    infiltrated AJB007. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    Of that group, only Tamahori has made a Bond film that I truly can't stand to watch. The others (GE, CR, QoS), while being taste-specific, are all in the top half of my list.

Tamahori also directed the Thriller "Kiss The Girls". At the start of that movie there is a car crash scene with the car plummeting off a bridge, it is really piss poor CGI.

When I first heard that he was to direct DAD, I thought oh well at least he'll have more money for any CGI shots, how wrong was I.

How difficult would it have been to hire a female Olympic standard diver for that scene on the cliff at the clinic. Dreadful CGI throughout the movie.

I do like the movie as it's an Official Bond movie, the surfing sequence at the start is breathtaking to watch, also the car chase on ice is brilliant.

It's just that I like all the other EON Bond movies more, and it's sits in 24th position as far as I'm concerned of the series propping up the other 23 imo.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    It's always been a proud tradition of the Bond series to use real stunts, and using CGI instead was a terrible misstep. The same thing happened in Star Wars episode I, II and III. Lucas tried to use as much CGI as he could, but sadly forgot about story and characters. :(
    You can get away with obvious CGI in a sci-fi / fantasy type film because your dealing with other worldly things and that type of stylized look is fine. In a reality based film, even something like a Bond film, the use of CGI is fine as long as it is used judiciously, realistically and as an enhancement. Many here have criticized the use of CGI in the SPECTRE pre-title sequence but I actually thought it was well done. On the other hand, the CGI used in the airplane sequence in QOS was not good and was more on the level of a direct to DVD release and stuck out like a sore thumb.
    What they need to do is ban CGI B-)
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    Broccoli wrote:
    What they need to do is ban CGI B-)

Agreed!!
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    There's nothing wrong with CGI, it has more to do with the quality of the CGI and where it is used. There are things accomplished with CGI in films that are undetectable. I do agree that minimal CGI in a Bond film is better....but as an undetectable enhancement it's fine.
    HowardB wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with CGI, it has more to do with the quality of the CGI and where it is used. There are things accomplished with CGI in films that are undetectable. I do agree that minimal CGI in a Bond film is better....but as an undetectable enhancement it's fine.

If Star Wars could be made without CGI (the practical models had some faults in 1977, but everything looked perfect in The Empire Strikes Back in 1980), most other things can as well. Practical effects done well almost always look better.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    CGI can be good, but it can also be awful. Grand Moff Tarkin's CGI face in rogue one was ridiculous and unacceptable.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
This discussion has been closed.