Bond 25, shooting news and Rumours. ( possible Spoilers)

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited September 2016
    I'd much prefer her to many of her male counterparts, including Guy Ritchie, Chris Nolan and Paul Greengrass.

Talking of Greengrass - did the new Bourne bomb at the box office? It seemed to have been very low key to me

Edit: $395.9 million worldwide so far according to box office mojo and I guess that won't increase too much?

SPECTRE got a fair bit of flak but it has comfortably destroyed its rivals such as MI5 and the new Bourne when some people were questioning if Bond is relevant anymore.

When you look at 2016 box office worldwide results so far there are some huge names that has yet to surpass 2015's SPECTRE: X-Men, Star Trek, Suicide Squad, Batman V Superman, Deadpool etc

SPECTRE is def a victim of its own (Skyfall) success with regards to box office revenue, glad to see it hold its own against some of the superheros which appear to dominate box office nowadays.

I could fully understand why EON or its partners would want DC back for another when it is ahead of Superman / Batman, Star Trek and Co.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think you'll find adding British to anything automatically I proves it :p
    Whether it's Directors, Actors or former colonies ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I'll welcome British director easily over a non-British director. The three non-British directors, I think, have done the worst jobs of all the Bond directors. Add a fourth for Irvin Kershner, if he counts. He made the best Star Wars film, but for Bond he really was not right.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I don't think any British (or Australian :) ) directors have made any bad or even weak Bond movies this millenium.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think any British (or Australian :) ) directors have made any bad or even weak Bond movies this millenium.

Sam Mendes and the steaming pile of dog poo that is SPECTRE.
    In my opinion SPECTRE isn't as good as Skyfall, but it's still good. I think we have to agree to disagree on thay one.
    Number24 wrote:

Who's Australian?
    Sorry, I was thinking of Martin Campbell. A very good Bond director, but my recent research now shows me he is from New Zealand, theNorway of the south seas.
    edited September 2016
    Number24 wrote:
    Sorry, I was thinking of Martin Campbell. A very good Bond director, but my recent research now shows me he is from New Zealand, theNorway of the south seas.

Christ - dont let a Kiwi hear him being called an aussie :D
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Christ - dont let a Kiwi hear him being called an aussie :D

Please save me, Mods - delete the ofending post (not all of them. Just the ones in this thread ... written by me ......... written by me today :v )
    Haha :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    :)) You're on your own, 24!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Oh dear.....you may as well call Canada a state in the USA :o
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    In my opinion SPECTRE isn't as good as Skyfall, but it's still good. I think we have to agree to disagree on thay one.

I agree. I have seen Skyfall more than SPECTRE but I like both films.
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    I love spectre. It is a little step back to a classic bond film.
    I simply think all 4 of dans films are fantastic.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    sniperUK wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Ha ha, I'm no fan of SPECTRE, it's probably my second least favourite Bond movie, but even I would not judge it so harshly! :)) :))

I also disagree with the opinion that SPECTRE is a victim of Skyfall's success. If anything, Skyfall's success caused people to expect something equally good, and as a result of that curiosity SPECTRE had a much more success at the box office than it deserved. My bet is that regardless of the budget, actor, advertising, or how good the script is, the next Bond movie is unlikely to gross anywhere near SPECTRE, even if it is a much better movie. In fact, I think it will be long time before a bond movie earns that much again.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I liked SPECTRE. It certainly has its faults, the most egregious IMO is trying too hard to be the "ultimate" Bond film. Bond, in the more "classic" cinematic Bond sense was just not Mendes strength. Mendes interpretation of "classic Bond" was more a pastiche of Bond's greatest hits rolled into one film. SPECTRE has some great moments but other sequences fall flat or are not up to top level Bond standards; the car chase, Blofeld's lair and Bond shooting down the helicopter with his PPK (if he simply had grabbed someone's assault rifle and used that it would have been so much better). But despite its flaws a good but not great Bond film. What will come next is all but impossible to get a handle on especially when we don't know who will actually be Bond, or who the director or writers will be.
    Chriscoop wrote:

I know how the Kiwis must feel. Many people (Americans :v ) belive Norway is the capital of Sweden, and that makes us feel very offended. X-(
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

I know how the Kiwis must feel. Many people (Americans :v ) belive Norway is the capital of Sweden, and that makes us feel very offended. X-(

Americans don't even know their own country. Many Americans think that Illinois is a city in the state of Chicago.
    Matt S wrote:
    Americans don't even know their own country. Many Americans think that Illinois is a city in the state of Chicago.

It saddens me, but I have to agree.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    sniperUK wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Ha ha, I'm no fan of SPECTRE, it's probably my second least favourite Bond movie, but even I would not judge it so harshly! :)) :))

I also disagree with the opinion that SPECTRE is a victim of Skyfall's success. If anything, Skyfall's success caused people to expect something equally good, and as a result of that curiosity SPECTRE had a much more success at the box office than it deserved. My bet is that regardless of the budget, actor, advertising, or how good the script is, the next Bond movie is unlikely to gross anywhere near SPECTRE, even if it is a much better movie. In fact, I think it will be long time before a bond movie earns that much again.

With hindsight (which makes genuises of us all) the smart money after Skyfall would have been to go for a more modest production with the focus upon narrative above spectacle. Brought it in for about the same budget as Skyfall and delivered a fitting swansong for Craig. Thus providing a platform for the next film and actor to build upon. Going 'big bang ' with such flimsy material was always risky. I think that all involved knew that Spectre was weaker than Skyfall and tried to buy their way out of trouble. Not a terrible Bond film, but a middling one which does make it harder for the next.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Jag wrote:
    sniperUK wrote:

With hindsight (which makes genuises of us all) the smart money after Skyfall would have been to go for a more modest production with the focus upon narrative above spectacle. Brought it in for about the same budget as Skyfall and delivered a fitting swansong for Craig. Thus providing a platform for the next film and actor to build upon. Going 'big bang ' with such flimsy material was always risky. I think that all involved knew that Spectre was weaker than Skyfall and tried to buy their way out of trouble. Not a terrible Bond film, but a middling one which does make it harder for the next.
    I agree that probably at some point during production they all realized the film they were making couldn't top Skyfall in any regard except budget. It doesn't even feel much like a Mendes film, like he really wasn't giving it his all like in Skyfall.
    I thought Skyfall was already a modest production (some locations tricked e.g. Shanghai was only 2nd Unit). I remember people raising eyebrows during production due to mention of costs and money saving techniques by Mendes and co

Mendes maybe did run out of steam, after all he did say Skyfall was to be his only Bond film and he had put everything into it. I guess money changed his mind!!!
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    edited September 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I thought Skyfall was already a modest production (some locations tricked e.g. Shanghai was only 2nd Unit). I remember people raising eyebrows during production due to mention of costs and money saving techniques by Mendes and co

Mendes maybe did run out of steam, after all he did say Skyfall was to be his only Bond film and he had put everything into it. I guess money changed his mind!!!
    yeah exactly, he threw everything he wanted into Skyfall and then they threw enough money at him for Spectre. But his heart and soul weren't really into it the second time around I'm guessing.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

yeah exactly, he threw everything he wanted into Skyfall and then they threw enough money at him for Spectre. But his heart and soul weren't really into it the second time around I'm guessing.

I don't think anyone's heart and soul were really into it this time resulting in a 'by the numbers' Bond, a greatest hits compilation. To compare it with YOLT for a moment I don't think the problem was the actor, Craig was in tip top condition and on his game. I think the Injury had a great impact. If I remember correctly it was early on in the filming.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    The production was as good as ever, they just needed a better script. I had some small tweaks that i felt could've improved the film drastically:

In my vision of Spectre, the film would be divided like this:

Pre-Title sequence in Mexico
    Act One: Debriefing in London
    Act Two: Rome
    Act Three: Morocco

There would be no finale in London.

1. Have Bond tracking down Mr. White at the start of the film instead of Sciarra.
    2. Have Bond meet Madeleine at the funeral for her father, instead of Lucia. About 30 minutes in. See how much this saves time? It also gives the relationship more time for character development, something that was sorely needed.
    3. Bond infiltrates the Spectre meeting and learns where Madeleine lives and that they are sending Mr. Hinx to kill her off. He trails Madeleine to where she works, at a research facility - still in Rome, but in the snowier side of Rome, like Cortina De Empiezo in FYEO.
    4. Replace the snow plane chase with a balls to the wall snow mobile chase with Madeleine holding on to bond for dear life. I want Daniel to be right in the middle of the action, with submachine guns shooting at them. The snow plane chase was very underwhelming, and while Daniel is too serious a bond to take a ski chase seriously, snowmobiles would've been awesome
    6. Define Bond's mission throughout the film, it is to find Blofeld and the evil lair. After he does that, have the tracking nanos tell Mi6 where bond is, and have the nanos be able to read that bond is in distress, like his blood is excreting certain chemicals known to cope with severe pain. Mi6 sends in the new branch that has just been in development: The Orange Jackets! (like in thunderball and TSWLM). The orange jackets track bonds location and siege the evil lair. The result is a 30 minute warzone finale (ala you only live twice and TSWLM).
    7. After Bond escapes the torture chair, his next mission is to deactivate a nuclear missile or something. Standard stuff really, but give him something to do instead of just blow the whole place up in a 15 second shootout.
    8. After getting his scar, (very important) Blofeld doesn't get captured. He escapes. Bond goes after him like in the chase scene of OHMSS, only in like an ATV or something designed for desert terrain. He has to escape so they don't shoot the next director in the foot. Because now, Blofeld has to escape from a maximum security prison which will take some serious suspension of disbelief.
    There's just one glaring omission in Shatterfangs's re-write: no Monica Bellucci. Shame on you Shatterfang, shame on you indeed. :o :D -{
    edited September 2016
    HowardB wrote:
    There's just one glaring omission in Shatterfangs's re-write: no Monica Bellucci. Shame on you Shatterfang, shame on you indeed. :o :D -{

They should have put a twist in the London finale. Bond drives off with Monica in the Aston instead after Madelaine fobs him off with the speech about not handling his way of life!!!

Seriously though I think they should have kept as is but

1) Had a better action packed car chase in Rome
    2) Make finding Mr White more adventurous in the snow (seems a waste of location as so brief)
    3) forget London finale and spend the time at the Lair with a better script and escape sequence whilst omiting the daft linking of previous villians bar Mr White
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Agree with all three of those welshie, I thought the Rome car chase had some nice ideas but just wasn't exciting or dramatic, the car chase in Paris in Ronin is both of those and was filmed with a Peugeot and beamer.
    Blofeld's lair was ridiculously underused, as was Austria, I was hoping we would see Bond there making enquiries about whites whereabouts instead of just getting there. The Mr white sequence is a standout for me though.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Yes the Mr White scene was also a highlight for me - goes to show the best bits are not all about $$$$.
This discussion has been closed.