Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Look, I know some of you are hoping Craig comes back, but the way Spectre ended painted them into a corner. I'm not saying they can't find a way out. I'm sure there's even a way to do it well. But it won't be easy and it could end up a mess. That's why my preference is for a clean slate with a new Bond.

Nobody paints Bond into corner :))
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I think SP's ending works regardless of who is Bond in #25...it's a good jumping off point if they ignore it, or a good meaty bit if it's a revenge piece (which I don't particularly want). Either way, Bond comes back from a sabbatical. I'd prefer if it were clean, and clear of Blofeld and SPECTRE - perhaps until the end. Regardless, the ill-advised family tie will be an elephant in the room...but Eon have done it before - leaving Blofeld as an unfinished sentence until given a dodgy sendoff in FYEO.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Why would they have to talk of it again?

Well, for starters they went out of their way to tie all of Craig's films together in Spectre. It would be pretty odd if Craig came back and they just pretended like that didn't happen in the next film.

Look, I know some of you are hoping Craig comes back, but the way Spectre ended painted them into a corner. I'm not saying they can't find a way out. I'm sure there's even a way to do it well. But it won't be easy and it could end up a mess. That's why my preference is for a clean slate with a new Bond.

So next time Bond and Blofeld met it would look odd if they didn't chat about childhood memories?
    Why not talk about SPECTRE's new, evil plan instead?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I never took bond tossing the ppk as symbolic of his resignation, its his way when he runs out of ammo ( Skyfall in the pts) you could interpret him not killing Blofeld as finally listening to Judi denchs M and not killing every lead. Or just because Blofeld wanted him to?
    In bonds world it's totally acceptable to right the wrongs of Spectre in the next film within m's office during a briefing.
    " well 007 we've extensively interrogated your friend Blofeld and run some tests"
    " oh yes sir "
    " it seems he's not what or who he professes to be "
    " what not the head of an international crime syndicate? "
    " no not oberhauser, never was. Q will fill you in on the specifics, but for now id like you have a look at this " M slides a FYEO file accross the desk
    " I want your undivided attention on this 007"
    And swann never needs mentioning at all.

That's an overly complicated and far-fetched method. My suggestion is this:
    Simply never mention again that Bond and Blofeld grew up together. There is no need to mention it again, just let the movies be about evil plots and how to stop them. The Craig er Bond movies have focused far too much on his past, but they don't have to continue that way.

What a few lines of dialogue in M's office during the customary meeting is over complicated? And Blofeld lying to Bond to mess with his head is far fetched?? Is the fact Blofeld is capable of manipulating every aspect of Bonds life to get revenge for his father liking the little blue eyed boy NOT far fetched? Or how about the whole storyline of YOLT or Moonraker?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    It might work, but why bother? Blofeld is Bond's stephbrother anyway, the damage is done. Your idea will only remind the audience of this. Just don't mention their past, IMO. All they need to do is to avoid lines like: "Remember how you used to throw snowballs at me when we were boys, James? This avalanche is payback!" :))
    It shouldn't be too difficult...
    But your way means the much hated step foster brother thing is still there, my way gets rid of it, allows Blofeld to used properly in future and liberates Dc's previous films from the unnecessary and lame tie up.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I like Chris's idea. ....... Simple and easy to understand ...... Chris has been a member for many years :D :p

It would get rid of that Stupid foster Brother idea X-( X-( X-( perhaps showing how
    Blofeld uses Manipulation on so many levels, not just drilling in to skulls.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I like Chris's idea. ....... Simple and easy to understand ...... Chris has been a member for many weeks :D :p

It would get rid of that Stupid foster Brother idea X-( X-( X-( perhaps showing how
    Blofeld uses Manipulation on so many levels, not just drilling in to skulls.

:)) Corrected that for you TP :007)
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    But your way means the much hated step foster brother thing is still there, my way gets rid of it, allows Blofeld to used properly in future and liberates Dc's previous films from the unnecessary and lame tie up.

I hate the foster brother angle as much as anyone, but retconning the retcon is not a good solution. Neither is featuring Blofeld but ignoring that plot point like it never happened.That's why the best approach if Craig comes back is not to use Blofeld or Spectre at all. It's not like there's any shortage of material for the writers to draw from. Most of us here could watch the news for a few hours and come up with a decent plot! A big part of the reason Skyfall was a critical success was that it felt relevant. They tried to do the same thing with Spectre, but got too caught up in the aforementioned brother angle, and spent too much time retreading over material already covered in Skyfall.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    DC wakes up in bed next to Naomie Harris - it was all a dream (Dallas style)

In fact he doesnt even know how to play Poker - CR was a dream too!

DC gets up and goes to work in McDonalds - the end!

Brosnan starts filming CR! :)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I never took bond tossing the ppk as symbolic of his resignation, its his way when he runs out of ammo ( Skyfall in the pts) you could interpret him not killing Blofeld as finally listening to Judi denchs M and not killing every lead. Or just because Blofeld wanted him to?
    In bonds world it's totally acceptable to right the wrongs of Spectre in the next film within m's office during a briefing.
    " well 007 we've extensively interrogated your friend Blofeld and run some tests"
    " oh yes sir "
    " it seems he's not what or who he professes to be "
    " what not the head of an international crime syndicate? "
    " no not oberhauser, never was. Q will fill you in on the specifics, but for now id like you have a look at this " M slides a FYEO file accross the desk
    " I want your undivided attention on this 007"
    And swann never needs mentioning at all.

What could Blofeld's motive be for pretending to be Oberhauser? The guy's an international criminal mastermind. He doesn't have the time or inclination to play silly games.

No, better to just ignore this ever happened. Trying to "fix" the foster-brother story is like having a small spot on your sweater and as you try to wipe it off, it gets bigger and bigger.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Im also in the "ignore" it camp. Best to forget rather then dig a deeper hole
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    What could Blofeld's motive be for pretending to be Oberhauser? The guy's an international criminal mastermind. He doesn't have the time or inclination to play silly games.

He reveals his motivations for everything is to make Bond's life miserable. That's a silly game if I've ever heard one. He hasn't had time to do real criminal work!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    In my mind to just ignore it is fine if we are never having Blofeld back in another film. Even when we get a new actor for bond the foster brother thing still stands unless we go full hog and use James bond and 007 as a code name and not an actual character..... And we all love that theory!
    We suspend belief when it comes to bond and putting this whole mess to bed in a semi plausible manner for me is the way forward to right the wrong and allow us to eventually get a Blofeld we deserve and want.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    In my mind to just ignore it is fine if we are never having Blofeld back in another film. Even when we get a new actor for bond the foster brother thing still stands unless we go full hog and use James bond and 007 as a code name and not an actual character..... And we all love that theory!
    We suspend belief when it comes to bond and putting this whole mess to bed in a semi plausible manner for me is the way forward to right the wrong and allow us to eventually get a Blofeld we deserve and want.

If there's anything good about the foster brother thing, it makes it less possible for people to claim "James Bond" is a codename. But the graves in Skyfall really put that one to bed.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    I don't think Blofeld will return in Bond 25. I can see it being a new stand alone mission (hopefully!) And they'll leave Blofeld for a few years and reintroduce him once a new Bond is in the role. I'm not sure Christoph Waltz would have much appetite for a return now anyway? Leave this particular story arc and start afresh with a new Bond and Blofeld in a few films time.

I do think Hinx will be back though but with a new employer, much like Jaws' return in Moonraker. I would certainly welcome another Bond v Hinx tussle :007)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    Matt S wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

If there's anything good about the foster brother thing, it makes it less possible for people to claim "James Bond" is a codename. But the graves in Skyfall really put that one to bed.

It does indeed thankfully, as if there ever any real tangible doubt!!! To be honest I'd be happy to ignore the whole sp story line and never have Blofeld back. But I'd suggest he will return at some point if for no other reason than to earn back all the money he cost eon fighting to get the rights....... Sadly
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    as was pointed out recently in another thread, they went to a lot of trouble to regain the rights to Blofeld, SPECTRE, and Mr Bigglesworth, these are very valuable intellectual properties and they are going to keep using them
    that'd be why Blofeld was left alive at the end of the last movie, when no big baddy ever eluded the License to Kill before
    so presumably he will be in the next film even if its not Waltz playing the part
    they gotta retcon the retcon one way or another or this fosterbrother thing will just keep going
    ^ exactly -{
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Just saw Tom Brady was the new spokesperson for Aston Martin, was Craig their official spokesperson before? I know he did that charity ad earlier this year.
    Just saw Tom Brady was the new spokesperson for Aston Martin, was Craig their official spokesperson before? I know he did that charity ad earlier this year.

I'd imagine that Tom Brady is just representing Aston Martin in America. I don't think Craig was an official spokesman, he just was connected with Aston Martin through James Bond, which gave him a lot of perks. The Omaze thing wasn't an ad to sell Aston Martins.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Tom Hardy has been cast as Venom, so if anyone had any hopes he will end up being Craig's replacement - that pretty much crushes any chances I guess.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/venom-tom-hardy-signs-on-to-play-eddie-brock-in-spider-man-spin-off-zombielands-ruben-fleischer-to-direct-a151255
    MrZareba wrote:
    Tom Hardy has been cast as Venom, so if anyone had any hopes he will end up being Craig's replacement - that pretty much crushes any chances I guess.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/venom-tom-hardy-signs-on-to-play-eddie-brock-in-spider-man-spin-off-zombielands-ruben-fleischer-to-direct-a151255

I should think so. One can hope!
    MrZareba wrote:

Can't fathom Hardy as Bond. Hiddleston's 2018 is still looking rather wide open... B-)
    edited May 2017
    MrZareba wrote:

Can't fathom Hardy as Bond. Hiddleston's 2018 is still looking rather wide open... B-)

It's really interesting how Hiddleston has been out of sight out of mind lately when it comes to Bond 25. Despite the big box office success of the Kong film, his schedule does continue to be strangely open for 2018 (except for being a voice actor in an animated film) For an actor who always seemed to be busy and coming off a big hit this does appear odd. Ok, here is my newest gut prediction based on absolutely no truly factual information (please keep in mind that I'm generally wrong :)) ) Shortly after the next Thor film is released in early November 2017, Hiddleston will be announced as the new Bond with filming of Bond 25 to begin sometime in December 2017 for a late October 2018 release. {[] -{ And while I am making a new baseless prediction I will double and triple down by saying Paul McGuigan will be directing, Sony will be back on board as distributor with David Arnold also returning.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    After Kong I'm curious how Hiddleston would do as James, nevertheless Barbara Broccoli always preferred less know actors I think? Tom Hiddleston is pretty much a superstar right now, Craig was rather unknown back in 2005 despite playing in a Spielberg movie. A lot of people see him as Loki and that's it (pretty much that's why Henry Cavill can't be James Bond anymore also).
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Well didn't Barbara Broccoli say she didn't like TH? Or was that story just tabloid bullpoo?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    MrZareba wrote:
    After Kong I'm curious how Hiddleston would do as James, nevertheless Barbara Broccoli always preferred less know actors I think? Tom Hiddleston is pretty much a superstar right now, Craig was rather unknown back in 2005 despite playing in a Spielbierg movie. A lot of people see him as Loki and that's it (pretty much that's why Henry Cavill can't be James Bond anymore also).

Maybe EON would want to go with a more recognizable name to help compensate for the loss of Craig who was so popular as Bond with the general movie going public. When Craig was brought on to replace the very popular Brosnan EON wanted to really shake things up with a re-boot and a relatively unknown who did not fit the traditional cinematic Bond mold fit the bill for that. IMO, without Craig, Bond 25 would probably be a soft reboot with Bond in the prime of his career and may be looking for a more classic interpretation of the cinematic Bond spiced up with whatever twist Hiddleston (who made a great charismatic villain as Loki) would bring to the role.
    HowardB wrote:
    MrZareba wrote:
    After Kong I'm curious how Hiddleston would do as James, nevertheless Barbara Broccoli always preferred less know actors I think? Tom Hiddleston is pretty much a superstar right now, Craig was rather unknown back in 2005 despite playing in a Spielbierg movie. A lot of people see him as Loki and that's it (pretty much that's why Henry Cavill can't be James Bond anymore also).

Maybe EON would want to go with a more recognizable name to help compensate for the loss of Craig who was so popular as Bond with the general movie going public. When Craig was brought on to replace the very popular Brosnan EON wanted to really shake things up with a re-boot and a relatively unknown who did not fit the traditional cinematic Bond mold fit the bill for that. IMO, without Craig, Bond 25 would probably be a soft reboot with Bond in the prime of his career and may be looking for a more classic interpretation of the cinematic Bond spiced up with whatever twist Hiddleston (who made a great charismatic villain as Loki) would bring to the role.

I remain convinced - until we learn differently - that Hiddleston IS Bond #7 if Craigger doesn't return for the next one...but if Craig is persuaded to do another, there's truly no telling who gets the role in another few years' time.
    I'm in Loeff's camp. It's either Hiddleston or Craig in my mind until we get credible evidence to the contrary.
This discussion has been closed.