Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Apparantly betting on TH becoming 007 has been suspended mainly down to someone placing a rather large bet on it!!?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Someone also put a 40k bet on Radiohead if I remember rightly for the SPECTRE theme.

Guess that was kind of correct initially though since it was commisioned and rejected :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Sorry TP, but Craig was hardly an 'unknown'. Layer cake was very well received and he had many other film titles under his belt - Enduring Love, Infamous, Munich, The Jacket but to name a few...

Just because you already stalked him before CR does not make him a famous actor back then :D

Some people here are acting like Tom Hiddleston is an unknown, but he's had large supporting roles in some of the biggest blockbusters of the past five years. If Hiddleston isn't a big star, Craig certainly wasn't before Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Sorry TP, but Craig was hardly an 'unknown'. Layer cake was very well received and he had many other film titles under his belt - Enduring Love, Infamous, Munich, The Jacket but to name a few...

Just because you already stalked him before CR does not make him a famous actor back then :D

Some people here are acting like Tom Hiddleston is an unknown...

Hiddleston would be the highest profile actor to ever be cast as Bond.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Hiddleston would be the highest profile actor to ever be cast as Bond.

Hmm...could be but Roger Moore was pretty well known for The Saint and a few other TV series but not so much for films.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    Apparantly betting on TH becoming 007 has been suspended mainly down to someone placing a rather large bet on it!!?

Interesting...the telegraph is reporting this too :)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ShplendidShplendid LondonPosts: 10MI6 Agent
    Aidan Turner is cool..........he will be the quintessential Bond.........James Bond! Dah dah dah daaaaah dah dah dah!
    "That was a Smith&Wesson and you've had YOUR six!"... Bang! Bang! Bang!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Shplendid wrote:
    Aidan Turner is cool..........he will be the quintessential Bond.........James Bond! Dah dah dah daaaaah dah dah dah!
    He's my pick.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Shplendid wrote:

Not so much for me....but I'll reserve judgement until I see more of him. I guess DC has paved the way for another 5'10" Bond which is ok by my Hobbit-like self. Gotta believe that after the success Craig has had, if he is to be replaced EON will be very careful with their ultimate choice. I guess if Craig is really not coming back, it's going to be a good long while until someone new is announced.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Not for me either. In fact, if it isn't Mr Fassbender, get an unknown. No one else suggested/rumoured/mentioned has cut it for me.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
    Not for me either. In fact, if it isn't Mr Fassbender, get an unknown. No one else suggested/rumoured/mentioned has cut it for me.

In my estimation, Fassbender is the perfect next Bond. IMO, he checks off all the boxes. For the folks who want Fleming's literary Bond, except for being a bit shorter he may be closer than any of the previous Bonds. He's handsome but no pretty boy, has a lean, wiry but well muscled build, dark hair and cold blue eyes. He can be very charming one moment and incredibly cruel, cold, and deadly the next. He's proven to do well in fight scenes and action (he was very convincing as a gunfighter in the offbeat western "Slow West") and is just a fine actor in general. Unfortunately I believe the chances of him being Bond are pretty slim. Not because of money or he is too well known an actor but because Fassbender is doing the lead in "Assassins Creed" which appears to be the first in a series of films that would make it pretty much impossible for him to be Bond, unless the film bombs (which is always a possibility) but I doubt that EON and their partners would be willing to wait that out even if Fassbender is interested.

Henry Cavill, who EON liked very much has interest but is (at least from what I have read) under contract for at least one more film as Superman (I would assume it will be the "Justice League" film which is scheduled for a Nov 2017 release), which would push Bond 25 to a 2019 release. Cavill would need some time to get rid of his Superman bulk also. I wouldn't be surprised if Cavill would like to move on from Superman if Bond was available to him. He may see Bond as a better, more lucrative long term opportunity.

As for the rest, I'm at a bit of a loss at this time. Hiddelston would be ok; Turner I just don't know enough. The cadre of dashing model types who look great in a tux on a poster are generally just that, empty cardboard cut outs who fail miserably when they have to move or open their mouths.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Whoever the producers pick, I'll be happy. They have made all the right decisions so
    far ( in my opinion anyway ).
    The next guy will have some big shoes to fill, and the pressure of taking over a film series
    that's top of the Box Office and making millions !
    So if his films don't do as well, he be getting the blame for "Killing" a successful franchise. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Whoever the producers pick, I'll be happy. They have made all the right decisions so
    far ( in my opinion anyway ).
    The next guy will have some big shoes to fill, and the pressure of taking over a film series
    that's top of the Box Office and making millions !
    So if his films don't do as well, he be getting the blame for "Killing" a successful franchise. :))

Daniel is only a little guy, so I doubt his shoes are more than a size 9 at most ;)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    You forget about the " Lifts" ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Maybe this guy who has had the big wager on Tom Hiddleston knows what he is talking about or maybe he is the same guy who had the big bet on Radiohead to get the SPECTRE theme tune which didn't quite work out as he hoped it would.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    He could be an overly eager Leicester city fan, out for another big win ? :D
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I have a feeling that Hiddleston is the man ;) Certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, or even my second, but it is what it is. My hope is that this means the next Bond film will be sooner instead of later :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

In my estimation, Fassbender is the perfect next Bond. IMO, he checks off all the boxes. For the folks who want Fleming's literary Bond, except for being a bit shorter he may be closer than any of the previous Bonds. He's handsome but no pretty boy, has a lean, wiry but well muscled build, dark hair and cold blue eyes. He can be very charming one moment and incredibly cruel, cold, and deadly the next. He's proven to do well in fight scenes and action (he was very convincing as a gunfighter in the offbeat western "Slow West") and is just a fine actor in general. Unfortunately I believe the chances of him being Bond are pretty slim. Not because of money or he is too well known an actor but because Fassbender is doing the lead in "Assassins Creed" which appears to be the first in a series of films that would make it pretty much impossible for him to be Bond, unless the film bombs (which is always a possibility) but I doubt that EON and their partners would be willing to wait that out even if Fassbender is interested.

Henry Cavill, who EON liked very much has interest but is (at least from what I have read) under contract for at least one more film as Superman (I would assume it will be the "Justice League" film which is scheduled for a Nov 2017 release), which would push Bond 25 to a 2019 release. Cavill would need some time to get rid of his Superman bulk also. I wouldn't be surprised if Cavill would like to move on from Superman if Bond was available to him. He may see Bond as a better, more lucrative long term opportunity.

As for the rest, I'm at a bit of a loss at this time. Hiddelston would be ok; Turner I just don't know enough. The cadre of dashing model types who look great in a tux on a poster are generally just that, empty cardboard cut outs who fail miserably when they have to move or open their mouths.

Yes, Michael Fassbender would be my first choice too as Craig's ultimate successor in the Bond role. I'm not crazy about the other choices being bandied about currently though. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    If DC really is gone, then I think the next actor should do the Blofeld Trilogy (but with different film titles obviously).

But... I am still hoping that DC does a 5th film. Is this even likely anymore?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Jarvio wrote:
    I am still hoping that DC does a 5th film. Is this even likely anymore?

I honestly don't think so, which is a pity IMO, although there will be celebrations to offset my disappointment ;) I have really enjoyed Craigger's run; even when a couple of his Bond films have received tepid reviews, his performance was rarely panned by anyone paid to write their opinion. But if his era is over, we might as well look forward---and of course continue to debate him as we do the rest of the lead actor alumni :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Awilliams007Awilliams007 Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Just add my 2 cents if I may. (Open to ridicule) Personally I'd like to see Gerard butler, although he may a bit old for the role, he's my first choice. I also wouldn't mind if it was Henry cavil. Other than that, I just don't know. I know bond is supposed to be a cool yet cruel character and most of the bonds have had that rugged twinkle in their eye IMO. with hiddlestone I just don't like the idea of him being bond, for me he doesn't have that rugged edge, a bit too private school hockey player. Tom hardy, one of my favourite actors, I do however think he's too street/hard man (would be happy if he was cast though).

Again this is all just my opinion.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,617Chief of Staff
    A radio station has just said that there will be a press announcement in a couple of days.... -{
    YNWA 97
    Hmm interesting...

I guess to be fair to EON if they are indeed to announce a new Bond then at least they have not messed about time wise and can crack on with the next one
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    Do people recall the circumstances of Craig's announcement for CR?

Was the script ready at the time of introduction

I am asking this with the hope that Bond 25 could be in cinemas 2017 when they are starting shooting right after the announcement.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Do people recall the circumstances of Craig's announcement for CR?

Was the script ready at the time of introduction

I am asking this with the hope at Bond 25 could be in cinemas 2017 when they are starting shooting right after the announcement.

That would be cool but to good to be true
    I've checked Wikipedia: Craig's announcement was 14 October 2005 and shooting started 30th Jan 2006 with a movie premiere november 2006.

So there is hope :D

Pretty swift production!!
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Would Craig stepping down and a new Bond be announced at the same time? I'd find that rather disrespectful to Craig. I think that if there is an announcement it will be purely about Craig staying or leaving and not about a new Bond yet.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    What if ........ Craig is to stay on as an excutive Producer ? ;)
    Matt S wrote:
    Would Craig stepping down and a new Bond be announced at the same time? I'd find that rather disrespectful to Craig. I think that if there is an announcement it will be purely about Craig staying or leaving and not about a new Bond yet.

From what I am hearing Craig has a contract to do another one but wants to prematurely quit ( which is absolutely stupid imo - Lazenby syndrome perhaps??)

So this would then change what you've said above?

This discussion has been closed.