Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Have you seen the Night Manager yet? I believe episode 3 has just aired in the U.S. AS It progresses the toughness emerges . He is more than capable. Maybe a couple of months upper body work but that's about it in my view,

Yep, the first three episodes have aired, but I'd say the "toughness" is evident as early as Episode 2, where he beats the living daylights (so to speak) out of a poor sap he wants to buy his "product." It's entirely believable. I'd like Craig to continue, but I could live with Hiddleston as Bond.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Have you seen the Night Manager yet? I believe episode 3 has just aired in the U.S. AS It progresses the toughness emerges . He is more than capable. Maybe a couple of months upper body work but that's about it in my view,

Yep, the first three episodes have aired, but I'd say the "toughness" is evident as early as Episode 2, where he beats the living daylights (so to speak) out of a poor sap he wants to buy his "product." It's entirely believable. I'd like Craig to continue, but I could live with Hiddleston as Bond.

Hiddleston's toughness is there alright, but like Craig his character lacks charm and personality.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Hardyboy wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

What network is airing the Night Manager? I'd like to give it a look.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    American Movie Classics (AMC) is airing The Night Manager in the USA. I like the show very much. IMO, I believe Hiddleston could be a good Bond. With regards to basing it on his performance in The Night Manager there are a few things to consider: his character in the show has a certain blandness about his persona that does make sense for that role but I think for Bond, Hiddleston would be well served to channel a bit of his Marvel "bad brother" Loki cruel wit and sarcasm. As far as physical appearance, I never had an issue with Craig's blond hair but the perfect blond streaked Southern California coloring that Hiddleston sports in Night Manager would definately have to go for Bond. Regarding his physical build, his torso is fine as is, he mainly needs to build up his upper arms and forearms to make him look formidable enough for today's perception of a cinematic man of action. The action coordinators, fighting instructors, etc will take care of making sure he looks like a modern James Bond should look like in the fight and other action scenes. As far as I'm concerned, if Craig is not coming back (I sincerely hope he does) I'm not sold on anyone who has been mentioned for Bond except Michael Fassbender but I wouldn't be upset if it was Hiddleston.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Hiddleston's toughness is there alright, but like Craig his character lacks charm and personality.

Is it my imagination or has there been a real "the gloves are off' vibe to your feelings toward Craig since the release of SPECTRE? I'm not sure I remember you being so against him during his tenure. Just curious about the shift if so.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

That's interesting, as I think he displays both the required charm and menace in NM. Like Craig I think he's a good actor, but displays more light and shade than Daniel. I have always been confused by this as Daniel can be very charming so I have always felt that it must be a conscious decision and choice.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Tom hughes would still be my first choice for 007 number 7.
    superdaddy wrote:

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to see Tom Hughes in anything but still photos. From what I gather he would definately appeal to the under 25 female demographic. I hate to make any judgements on so little but my kneejerk reaction is : he really looks a bit too young even at 30 (no question a proper Bond haircut would help) and he appears to be very slightly built despite his height (of course the proper diet and lots of time in the gym can fix that). He brings to mind a much taller Jonathan Rhys Meyers. With regards to his youthful looks.....if they can make geezer actors look younger couldn't they make someone a bit baby faced like Hughes look a bit more mature?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

Is it my imagination or has there been a real "the gloves are off' vibe to your feelings toward Craig since the release of SPECTRE? I'm not sure I remember you being so against him during his tenure. Just curious about the shift if so.

I actually started to accept his portrayal after seeing Spectre. But it still doesn't make up for his first three films. But now that other people have come out against Craig's portrayal, I don't feel so hesitant to state my views, just as some state their dislike for Brosnan.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

I actually started to accept his portrayal after seeing Spectre. But it still doesn't make up for his first three films. But now that other people have come out against Craig's portrayal, I don't feel so hesitant to state my views, just as some state their dislike for Brosnan.
    I'm still not a fan of Craig's performances in CR & SF, hence them not being high on my list. But I loved him in QOS & SP.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to see Tom Hughes in anything but still photos. From what I gather he would definately appeal to the under 25 female demographic. I hate to make any judgements on so little but my kneejerk reaction is : he really looks a bit too young even at 30 (no question a proper Bond haircut would help) and he appears to be very slightly built despite his height (of course the proper diet and lots of time in the gym can fix that). He brings to mind a much taller Jonathan Rhys Meyers. With regards to his youthful looks.....if they can make geezer actors look younger couldn't they make someone a bit baby faced like Hughes look a bit more mature?
    watch The Game where he plays a british agent also a film called Iam soldier where he plays an sas trooper (although not a good film, does show Hughes can do all the physical stuff) didn't Fleming describe his Bond as tall and slim -{
    superdaddy wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:

watch The Game where he plays a british agent also a film called Iam soldier where he plays an sas trooper (although not a good film, does show Hughes can do all the physical stuff) didn't Fleming describe his Bond as tall and slim -{

I will definately try to check out "The Game" and the other film. With regards to Fleming's description of Bond as "tall and slim"; there's tall and slim and tall and slight. While cinematic Bond, especially contemporary cinematic Bond is going to be different than literary Bond, IMO the actor playing Bond does not need to have a body like Anthony Joshua or even the more brutish physique Craig had in CR but he needs to look formidable to modern audiences which means some lean muscle mass even on a slim frame. Even if Hughes is a bit slight of build at his age he can easily add lean muscle. Many actors not known for being "buff" have done this for roles and looked great. I don't consider it as a problem for Hughes. I always imagined Bond from the novels having a similar build as American actor Scott Glenn in his younger days.....lean w/ muscle but wiry like a tall middleweight boxer. I think with any actor, even one portraying a younger Bond there needs to be the look of some wear and tear to add to the gravitas of the character.
    No matter, it's always fun to play amateur casting director when it comes to Bond.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    I've seen a few episodes. It's good, though plotwise, it's a lot more predictable and paint-by-the-numbers than LeCarre usually is. The production is sumptuous -- more so that the last few Bond films -- and the acting is good. In fact, Hugh Laurie is essentially a Bond villain, a modern take on the kind of man that Largo or Blofeld once represented.

It's got nothing to do with whether Hiddleston works out or whatever, though. He will always have that baby bird face. Those are just his features. If people thought Craig didn't look like Bond, Hiddleston looks even less so. Being tall and having hair isn't enough to qualify it for me. He looks more like he should be playing a Flemish painter, Bronte adaptation character, or retired basketball player. In fact, when he gets older and puts on some weight, he can play Larry Bird, who also looks like a bird.

images_82.jpg

download_47.jpg

If he gets cast, it won't be the end of anything for me. I'm sure he'll be perfectly adequate, and I've heard from more than a few female friends that he is attractive. It'll just take me a while to get used to him and not picture him sitting in a nest and expecting a regurgitated meal.
    I do so enjoy future Bond speculation! -{
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I do so enjoy future Bond speculation! -{
    {[]
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    And still no word from EON...

The media is still going on about the next Bond and EON and DC remain quiet. It's getting to the point that if they don't make an announcement soon, if DC does return then there could be an overwhelming sense of disappointment that we aren't getting a new Bond.
    I think EON are between a rock and a hard place with this. With the next movie SO far off, any announcement could be a hostage to fortune. Better to say nothing and let the fire build, particularly if they are hoping to entice DC back when they have something concrete to offer. I'm thinking a Distributor and script outline as a minimum. Perhaps they are hoping Daniel can bump into a Director at a Bus stop and offer them the gig ;)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Whatever may be going on, I think EON is doing their best to keep it from becoming a media circus. Until there is something concrete to announce they will keep mum. Whether Craig returns or they go get a new guy there are millions $$$ at stake. While it has been reported that EON has no say in who will be the new partner, I'm sure it matters greatly to any prospective new partners who will play Bond. Speaking of partners, this is a little off topic but in reading "Some Kind of Hero" it really appears that MGM has been a thorn in the side of EON ever since they took over UA and came on board as a partner.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Does this lack of news make it more likely or less likely that Craig will return?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I think there must be negotiations going on, I read somewhere that we are definitely looking at a 3-4 year cycle with the Bond franchise, I also suspect that DC may well be waiting to see some sort of tangible plot/story/script before making a concrete decision. I think the sony leaks had something to do with the SP plot issues and I think DC would want to go out to some critical acclaim.
    I'm personally hoping for a return to some modernised early connery type film or more CR type story. There are so many purely action based film and franchises I'd like Bond to be a bit more cerebral. I honestly can visualise hiddleston in the role.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I examined the innards of a chicken I sacrificed last night and
    even gazed at my balls for ages ( they are finest crystal) but
    Still no new information ! :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I examined the innards of a chicken I sacrificed last night and
    even gazed at my balls for ages ( they are finest crystal) but
    Still no new information ! :#

Quite. I stood on one leg reciting Eskimo Neil in Cantonese whilst wearing florescent green Pyjamas with stick of celery in every Orifice but to no apparent avail. I guess we'll just have to wait like the Muggles we are.
    To think some dismiss these scientific techniques !

Still it will be nice when we get some official announcement.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Hid... [COUGH]....Hiddleston....

That's all I'm saying :o
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    He should be so loki, .... loki, loki, loki ...... :))
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    a0088605_551818500d81e.jpg
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    :))
    Katherine Jenkins has put on a bit of weight !
    Asp9mm wrote:
    a0088605_551818500d81e.jpg

Hmm ;)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,617Chief of Staff
    Asp9mm wrote:

Good choice...now...what direction will the films take...?
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Good choice...now...what direction will the films take...?

An excellent question! He seems the sort of actor who might be able to bridge the gap between gritty and a lighter tone. He does seem a bit posh, but that can certainly be made to play well :007) I do want to see his 'Night Manager' series.
This discussion has been closed.