Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    apple8 wrote:

The picture of Craig as Bond in that article reminded me of much liked CR from the first time I saw it. For the first time in 40 years there was a Bond who exuded menace.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    apple8 wrote:

The picture of Craig as Bond in that article reminded me of much liked CR from the first time I saw it. For the first time in 40 years there was a Bond who exuded menace.

I'm not sure that Bond should me out and out menacing, in a scare your children sort of way. Fleming described him as " a tough looking customer" for sure. For me Dalton had a latent toughness about him, so perhaps it's a question of degree.Also the 40 year window would capture Connery who was surely capable of menace.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I like Matthew Goode and physically he fits the more traditional Bond but I can't see him in the role.

During the Moore years he was always quitting/retiring and auditions were going on in the background only for the producers to offer him a load of cash and he'd stay for one more ....

I would think there is a constant search for 'the next Bond' especially when the current incumbent is showing signs of unrest.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,812MI6 Agent
    I think Matthew Goode has never shown the sort of masculinity Bond should have. He is a very good actor, so he might surprise us, but to me Goode is too effimate.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:
    apple8 wrote:

I'm not sure that Bond should me out and out menacing, in a scare your children sort of way. Fleming described him as " a tough looking customer" for sure. For me Dalton had a latent toughness about him, so perhaps it's a question of degree.Also the 40 year window would capture Connery who was surely capable of menace.

I didn't find the Connery of DAF very menacing. He resembled a low-energy, overweight middle-aged insurance salesman wearing a bad toupee. There was no resemblance to the Connery Bond of the first four movies. YOLT falls somewhere in between.

Bond, as imagined by Fleming, isn't supposed to be a very nice man. At the end of TSWLM (novel) the cop tells Vivien Michel to stay away from men like Bond because even when they're on the right side they're very dangerous.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:

I didn't find the Connery of DAF very menacing. He resembled a low-energy, overweight middle-aged insurance salesman wearing a bad toupee. There was no resemblance to the Connery Bond of the first four movies. YOLT falls somewhere in between.

Bond, as imagined by Fleming, isn't supposed to be a very nice man. At the end of TSWLM (novel) the cop tells Vivien Michel to stay away from men like Bond because even when they're on the right side they're very dangerous.

I always sense Bond has a strong moral compass. He wrestles with tough decisions, he can be tough and ruthless when the occasion demands it, and he is indeed dangerous. He is driven by duty, but not a bad man as such. I probably wouldn't want him as a friend, mainly because he'd probably be very dull. If he was just an out and out Badness we would not be terribly interested in him for this a out of time.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    "I didn't find the Connery of DAF very menacing. He resembled a low-energy, overweight middle-aged insurance salesman wearing a bad toupee. There was no resemblance to the Connery Bond of the first four movies. YOLT falls somewhere in between."

I agree. Connery looked much better in some later films like "Cuba" and "A Bridge Too Far". Much leaner and more formidable; just shave the moustache and a more TB style hairpiece and he would have been perfect as the middle aged version of the Bond from the first three films. IMO, Connery even looked better in NSNA than DAF.
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    I'll slash my wrists if I read one more newspaper story about Daniel Craig slashing his wrists rather than playing bond again zzzz zzzz I do so hate journalists
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    lotus wrote:
    I'll slash my wrists if I read one more newspaper story about Daniel Craig slashing his wrists rather than playing bond again zzzz zzzz I do so hate journalists

Amen.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Connery in his early films played bond very well, he was suave enough and had a certain menace and toughness in his eye, possibly due to his real life love of a good brawl. In daf he comes across as half heartedly playing Bond probably a reflection of his true feelings. I did enjoy daf in its own right and I disconnect it from SCs previous films.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It was also the 70s. A lot of things changed very quickly, starting with the move away from big studio films to smaller, more "director auteur" film making. The counterculture had changed the expectations of what a movie star was to look like -- they traded in Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, and William Holden for Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, and Jon Voight. More ordinary looking people, less polished, less larger than life. The big budget technicolor spectacles and epics of the 1950s and 1960s gave way to the grittier, less colorful, more "earthy" features of the early to mid 1970s. Some of Connery's look was no doubt a combination of getting older and being unhappy, but it was a weird period of transition for those who were young enough to have started under the studio system -- Connery, George Peppard, Robert Redford, Lawrence Harvey, James Garner -- but found themselves suddenly in different circumstances. This is part of what George Lazenby had expected and led him away from the Bond role.

But like any fad, it didn't last long. Jaws and Star Wars would show there was a middle ground. The actors were still not larger than life. Harrison Ford, for instance, was bland enough by comparison to the classic leading man to play bit roles, and Roy Scheider was a regular guy the likes of which hadn't really been seen since Bogart. And the stories were straight out of B movies, with simplistic scripts and easy to dissect plots. But they were treated like A films, with huge budgets, especially for the marketing. The tentpole blockbuster was born, and this has been the standard for the past 40 years.

So, the first three 70s Bonds were essentially compromises to these concessions, too. Diamonds are Forever is the first Bond whose look was less glamorous and more dour, and that even with a large budget, still comes off as looking muted. The same could be said for Roger Moore's first two outings. But by the time of The Spy Who Loved Me, the film industry was starting to abandon this approach, at least for major films. Star Wars completely changed everything. Now it was about B movie tropes -- big explosions, lots of car chases, some sex and violence, and very simple dialogue and conflicts. Certainly, these were elements of films before, too, but the B movie exploited such more to make up for the flimsiness of the script, budget, and performances. Now, with a bigger budget, it was more possible to distract audiences from the failings for the rest.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Good post! -{
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    apple8 wrote:

Sounds like he's more a fan of the classic Connery Bond. Or the old timeline. He would probably make a better villain too. At least I liked him in that superhero movie and his line near the end.
    "Better late than never."
    Things are pretty much crickets lately on the Bond 25/will Craig return?/who will replace Craig? front.
    So I'll weigh in on a possible candidate. I did catch the first two episodes so far of "The Night Manager" which has given me a better sense of Tom Hiddleston's fit for Bond. First of all, after two episodes I am hooked on the show which so far is very good. With regard to Hiddleston: Lookswise, I can certainly see him as Bond. He's is handsome but not the perfect cleft chin model type which I think works better for Bond. My only problem with his face is that if he's not photographed properly he can look a bit "Elfin". I would think that with the high level of artists/pros that EON employs that could be eliminated with better lighting and cinematography. As far as his physical build, I was actually pleasantly surprised as he is more lean than I expected and would probably not have to do too much to add some needed muscle, especially to his upper arms. Acting wise he does a very good job of doing charming, ruthless, heroic and cold so no worries there. The one weakness or more of a question mark that remains for me is how well he moves in fight scenes. He just appears a bit awkward to me in hand to hand in "The Night Manager". Now I don't know if that is being done on purpose to be more realistic, that the stunt/fight coordinators on the show aren't that good or if Hiddleston just isn't very good doing realistic fights as opposed to his CGI'ed Loki stuff. One would again hope that the top notch stunt coordinators that EON uses could make him fight like we expect Bond to fight (good intense pre-production training would help too). If Hiddleston ends up as the next Bond I would not be upset but I still think there could be better suited candidates out there.
    stag wrote:
    I wonder how they go about actually hiring a Bond actor nowadays? Open audition or invite to test (or both)? Would they hedge their bets & ask several shortlisted (well known) candidates to try out?

They read our comments and opinions on this website and then do the opposite :)) works like a charm -{
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I've seen the first two episodes of The Night Manager (which is only as far as it has gone in the States) and I haven't seen anything worthy of Bond yet in his performance.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    HowardB wrote:
    Things are pretty much crickets lately on the Bond 25/will Craig return?/who will replace Craig? front.
    So I'll weigh in on a possible candidate. I did catch the first two episodes so far of "The Night Manager" which has given me a better sense of Tom Hiddleston's fit for Bond. First of all, after two episodes I am hooked on the show which so far is very good. With regard to Hiddleston: Lookswise, I can certainly see him as Bond. He's is handsome but not the perfect cleft chin model type which I think works better for Bond. My only problem with his face is that if he's not photographed properly he can look a bit "Elfin". I would think that with the high level of artists/pros that EON employs that could be eliminated with better lighting and cinematography. As far as his physical build, I was actually pleasantly surprised as he is more lean than I expected and would probably not have to do too much to add some needed muscle, especially to his upper arms. Acting wise he does a very good job of doing charming, ruthless, heroic and cold so no worries there. The one weakness or more of a question mark that remains for me is how well he moves in fight scenes. He just appears a bit awkward to me in hand to hand in "The Night Manager". Now I don't know if that is being done on purpose to be more realistic, that the stunt/fight coordinators on the show aren't that good or if Hiddleston just isn't very good doing realistic fights as opposed to his CGI'ed Loki stuff. One would again hope that the top notch stunt coordinators that EON uses could make him fight like we expect Bond to fight (good intense pre-production training would help too). If Hiddleston ends up as the next Bond I would not be upset but I still think there could be better suited candidates out there.

I think he moves well,and is highly credible in fisticuffs scenes, it is less 'block-sap-block -slap than of late, but more visceral somehow. Reminded me of Connery .
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    For the American's amongst you who are only just getting into the Night Manager, Hiddleston develops well in the role (IMO) and up to the end I think that there is definitely Bond potential there.

Maybe I'm fortunate that I haven't seen him much as Loki.
    Matt S wrote:
    I've seen the first two episodes of The Night Manager (which is only as far as it has gone in the States) and I haven't seen anything worthy of Bond yet in his performance.

Agreed. Im enjoying the show, but it's not selling me on Hiddleston-as-Bond. Quite the opposite actually.
    Re The Night Manager, it should be interesting as the series progresses if my impressions of Hiddleston's Bond potential change. Because I have watched the first two episodes with more of an eye toward Bond, I have to be more mindful that Hiddleston is not playing Bond( (a highly skilled, trained and experienced "OO") but a former soldier being thrown in and learning on the fly how to be an undercover operative. That being said I am quite enjoying the show so far.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    TH improves as the series progresses in my opinion
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Have a feeling Craig is going to do one more, probably get announcement next year for 2018 release
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I'd second that for sure, he seemed a bit foppish to me at first but the character grows and changes with the story.
    I still think he could pretty much take over bond from Craig quite seamlessly.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Chriscoop wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I'd second that for sure, he seemed a bit foppish to me at first but the character grows and changes with the story.

Haven't seen the show yet, but I hope to! I'm not opposed to Hiddleston, although he does seem a bit posh to me---but of course many might welcome that after Craig :007) It will be interesting to observe what unfolds.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Chriscoop wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Haven't seen the show yet, but I hope to! I'm not opposed to Hiddleston, although he does seem a bit posh to me---but of course many might welcome that after Craig :007) It will be interesting to observe what unfolds.

The one aspect of Craig's Bond that the next actor, no matter who he is, will have to replicate is that Craig made Bond seem dangerous to an extent unlike any actor to come before (possible exception being LTK Dalton). You never knew what he was going to do. I think casual audiences really responded positively to this and will expect it in the future - it's now very much a part of the fabric of Bond thanks to Craig. Among other characteristics, I'm not sure Hiddleston can embody this.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    The one aspect of Craig's Bond that the next actor, no matter who he is, will have to replicate is that Craig made Bond seem dangerous to an extent unlike any actor to come before (possible exception being LTK Dalton). .

Not sure I'd Agree with this - both Connery and Lazenby portrayed the dangerous aspect of Bond's character far better than Dalton, and equal to Craig's portrayal, IMO.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Be careful disagreeing with the Timboys C&D :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Higgins is correct. X-(
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,381Chief of Staff
    It does happen!
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I think Connery and (to a lesser extent) Dalton are far more dangerous than Craig. Craig is the roughest and toughest Bond, but being "dangerous" needs more than physicality. I hope the next Bond is closer to Connery's level, and so far I have not seen Hiddleston do that.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
This discussion has been closed.