Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Non-British actors have played Bond before, and very successfully. An actor's nationality would be the last thing for me to worry about.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    I think it's probably best to keep it within Britain, at least going by the suggestions of non-British actors in this thread...
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wouldn't mind if they went off planet, some Autons can do a very convincing British accent. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I think it's important from a Geopolitical perspective that the character remains British. Bond is an outsider, in almost every respect, and it important that he is not attached to one of the superpowers.it's part of the classical Hero narrative, a kind of David and Goliath, or Daniel ?:) in the lions den shtick.I'm not bothered if the actor is British or not as long as his accent is better than Pierce's mid Atlactic drawl (Bahrnd James Bahrnd) :p (relax Brosnonites only teasing)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • PostiebearPostiebear Kent, UKPosts: 255MI6 Agent
    Fleming only made bond Scottish after he had seen Connery in dr no. Upto that point bond was English and he was dead against Connery playing bond.
    Although Fleming himself came from an Anglo Scottish family. An estate in
    Scotland as well as homes in England. So I'd say he would have always
    given Bond a Scottish background.
    ( Once again only my opinion, I have absolutely nothing to back that up with ) :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,491Chief of Staff
    In this context it doesn't matter where the influence came from- authors shape their characters for many different reasons. Fleming used parts of his and his circle's names and characteristics not only for Bond but for other characters too.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Michael Fassbender is really the only actor I can picture as Bond in the post Craig era. I think he would be able to carry over the intense masculinity of Craig but bring back some of the charm as well.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,701MI6 Agent
    Michael Fassbender is really the only actor I can picture as Bond in the post Craig era. I think he would be able to carry over the intense masculinity of Craig but bring back some of the charm as well.

Agreed - he'd be my first choice too! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,632MI6 Agent
    Although a great actor and certainly looking the part, I struggle to warm to Michael Fassbender. I think he'd be a good Bond but I don't necessarily think I'd like him as Bond. This might in part be down to the domestic abuse allegations from years ago or just something else, I'm not sure, but I doubt I could vote for him.

We do all get to vote on the next Bond, don't we?
    edited April 2016
    Yes, it's Been added to the ballot on June23. :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,491Chief of Staff
    Oh, I wish!!!!
    Postiebear wrote:
    Fleming only made bond Scottish after he had seen Connery in dr no. Upto that point bond was English and he was dead against Connery playing bond.

The Lycett Fleming biography suggests otherwise. Apparently there are notes in the Fleming archive that strongly suggest that Bond was always going to have Scottish roots. The notes predate the casting. I was surprised as I had always believed that it was as you state, but apparently not.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    If Craig is, in fact, leaving---as has been posited here, by credible sources---what would be Eon's rationale for delaying that announcement at this point, except for ongoing negotiations with a receptive incumbent?
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    If Craig is, in fact, leaving---as has been posited here, by credible sources---what would be Eon's rationale for delaying that announcement at this point, except for ongoing negotiations with a receptive incumbent?

The press trying to find clues in other peoples' comments about potential replacements will drum up publicity and hype.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery

The press trying to find clues in other peoples' comments about potential replacements will drum up publicity and hype.

IMO, nothing creates hype like certified news of a change in Bond leads.
    I think that the radio silence indicates that quite apart from who plays him we are a LONG way off from a new Bond film. It's simply too early to make an announcement or to negotiate a commitment as it's very open ended. It could go as late as 2020. In which case even Hiddleston or Turner might be getting a bit long in the tooth to start as Bond. Also there is no advantage for Eon to say anything. I would not expect any announcement any time soon. Strap in, it's going to be a long ride...
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,680Chief of Staff

Probably because they are trying to hold Craig to his contract...
    YNWA 97
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    If you mean his original contract that committed him to 5 Bond films, I'm pretty sure that contract is no longer operative. The contract would've set a schedule for the films (probably one every two years) and that schedule fell apart with the MGM bankruptcy. At that point the contract would've needed to be renegotiated and who knows what Craig's commitment is now.
    MGW confirmed that there is no contract binding Craig to Bond 25.
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    So, what comes first...

The new actor, or the new script?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    So, what comes first...

distributor?

Then again getting Craig confirmed (yay or nay) prob has a big effect in getting/ negotiating a new distributor since his films have generated substantial money
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Supposedly nothing's happened with Bond25 yet beyond a brainstorming session and I'm not sure whether that has actually happened or is just scheduled. Unless EON plan on another re-boot for the next Bond actor - which I doubt they would and hope they wouldn't - they don't necessarily even need to know if DC is coming back at this point. If DC is leaning towards not returning as has been suggested, EON will want to give him as much time and space as necessary in the hope that he changes his mind and comes back. Once he's done his theatre work and maybe another film, perhaps he'll be more amenable to return for Bond once more. Press him now and he may well confirm his exit. That doesn't mean to say that EON don't have a shortlist of potential replacements or even that they aren't talking or even screen-testing some of them, but EON will give Craig all the time that he wants and they can afford before committing one way or the other.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    IanT wrote:
    So, what comes first...

distributor?

Then again getting Craig confirmed (yay or nay) prob has a big effect in getting/ negotiating a new distributor since his films have generated substantial money

It's not really a gamble for a distributor, though. Look at Batman v. Superman. An awful film by all accounts, but based on brand alone, it made a lot of money ($784.3m to date). Even SPECTRE, while not panned by critics with the fervor of BvS, was certainly not a critical success. Yet it still made lots of money.

A new distributor should be more concerned with keeping EON's production costs under control. That will guarantee a strong return no matter who plays Bond, and regardless of the ultimate quality of the film.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Im sure a new distributor though would prefer to have Craig onboard then not with the cash his films have generated.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Im sure a new distributor though would prefer to have Craig onboard then not with the cash his films have generated.

Sure, that's the safest play.

I expect Disney to try to get hold of the distribution.
    The thought of Disney being the distributor for Bond is scary...except for the merchandising opportunities. Just imagine those ubiquitous black Mickey Mouse ears caps...only with DC's ears on them! They'd make a fortune!
    The thought of Disney being the distributor for Bond is scary...except for the merchandising opportunities. Just imagine those ubiquitous black Mickey Mouse ears caps...only with DC's ears on them! They'd make a fortune!

Dinsey hasn't done so badly with franchises lately, so I'm not sure what you're scared of.
    Sir Miles wrote:

Probably because they are trying to hold Craig to his contract...

I thought that Michael Wilson himself said that Craig was not contractually bound to do another.

Dinsey hasn't done so badly with franchises lately, so I'm not sure what you're scared of.

They've done some great stuff that I've thoroughly enjoyed, but off the top of my head it seems to all be superhero/comic book, animation and feel-good. I can't think of any thrillers or non-superhero/comic book action movies. Nothing like a Bond, Mission Impossible or Bourne, for example.
This discussion has been closed.