Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Americans don't seem all that concerned when a Brit plays one. But we're also in an age where tradition and such doesn't really matter much to many people.

For instance, Bale's casting as Bruce Wayne/Batman subverts what we know about the character in many ways, even though arguably his version treats the character with more reverence than previous versions. For instance, with his hairline and long, thin face and nose, Bale looks very much like the classic iteration of the Joker, himself a classic iteration of a villain:

download_41.jpg

download_42.jpg

On the other hand, with his broader face and gentler features, Heath Ledger looks more like Bruce Wayne in the comics, himself a classic iteration of the hero:

images_77.jpg

download_43.jpg

So, in a lot of ways, the discussion about who should play what -- including Bond -- is fraught with the perils of being in an age where matching the actor physically to the character isn't as important as in the past.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I honestly think the whole British/American actor is becoming a thing of the past.
    Many think certain British actors are American, the same with some American actors.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I always thought Christian Bale was American.

In fact, I still do.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Vicsane007Vicsane007 Posts: 167MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm sure there are American actors who have the looks and acting talent to play Bond who also has the skill to do a fine British accent.
    I still don't want an American to play Bond because his Britishness is so central to the character and the whole franchise. Most action heroes in the movies are American anyway, so I think it's important to protect the "brand".

How about a Norwegian? :D

What about Jackie Chen? :))
    "Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,779MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm sure there are American actors who have the looks and acting talent to play Bond who also has the skill to do a fine British accent.
    I still don't want an American to play Bond because his Britishness is so central to the character and the whole franchise. Most action heroes in the movies are American anyway, so I think it's important to protect the "brand".

How about a Norwegian? :D

David Menkin as Bond... could work, but he is primarily a Voice artist!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Is there even an American actor at the moment who could be Bond? I can't think of one. Jon Hamm would have been perfect back around when Craig started... Might be a bit too old (or at least he looks it). Other than him I can't think of another actor... Also, it's provided he can do an English accent...
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Think Max Brown would make a pretty good 007!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,491Chief of Staff
    provided he can do an English accent...

BRITISH, not necessarily English.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent
    Max Brown seems like a good candidate, but he seems a little lacking when it comes to grittiness, ruggedness and awards.
    Still, he gets on my list of possible James Bonds. :007)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

They'll never get it. 8-)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    :# I know, but it's still true.
  • lowelkerlowelker Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Bond must be from the UK!

I HAVE SPOKEN!!!
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

They'll never get it. 8-)

Simples ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
    :) Thank you, sniperUK!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Hurrah GB is GREAT!!!
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    I do think Bond should be played by a British actor. It's not that American actors can't play British roles, like Renee Zelwegger in Bridget Jones' Diary, but that whoever is playing Bond has to 'be' Bond so if the actor puts on an accent but then drops it in interviews, it ruins the illusion.

I agree that Hiddleston doesn't particularly seem to have been considered before The Night Manager and I don't think they'll cast him just for playing a spy. To me, he doesn't have a leader quality and I think Bond needs that- he needs to look like a man who people would follow and admire. I still have a feeling they'll pick a relative unknown, possibly someone who is TV-famous but not a film star, and that it won't be one of the names in the media.

I think Aiden Turner definitely has qualities in his roles that would show his potential for Bond. It may not translate to whether he could carry a film but seeing And Then There Were None and Being Human, he would be an exciting choice. If Craig leaves, they won't simply replace him with somebody who's just like Craig; they'll go for something different and I think all these media articles are trying to put it into the public's minds that Bond can be somebody else.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Is there even an American actor at the moment who could be Bond? I can't think of one. Jon Hamm would have been perfect back around when Craig started... Might be a bit too old (or at least he looks it). Other than him I can't think of another actor... Also, it's provided he can do an English accent...

Yes. Wes Bentley.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    unless Craig has another successful, ready-made franchise to join -- Star Wars, Star Trek...

He's already a part of the Star Wars franchise. He had that stormtrooper cameo in Episode VII.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent

Yes. Wes Bentley.

Jim Caviezel too (but I don't think an American should be Bond)
  • PostiebearPostiebear Kent, UKPosts: 255MI6 Agent
    I think they should make a muppet bond movie. Kermits looks great in a tux and miss piggy would make a great Bond girl, Michael Caine could also star as he was great in muppet Christmas carol

Rizzo would make a great Q.

:))
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Postiebear wrote:
    I think they should make a muppet bond movie. Kermits looks great in a tux and miss piggy would make a great Bond girl, Michael Caine could also star as he was great in muppet Christmas carol

I think Kermit would make a far better Bond than 99% of the names mentioned in the media. Also he never ages. He could do at least 6 films!
    I remember a Muppet Babies episode with Gonzo as Bond that spoofed OP and NSNA. Octopiggy.
  • PostiebearPostiebear Kent, UKPosts: 255MI6 Agent
    He could play bond for the next 25 films :)) commander frog I meant bond
    Hello Postiebear, and welcome to our site. Please take a look at http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45180/int … the-forum/, our introduction for new members, and please introduce yourself at http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/wel … s/page/55/
    Postiebear wrote:

No no no! Gonzo as M, Rizzo at Tanner and

Professor Bunsen and Dr Beaker as Q and a stressed out Smithers respectively!
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Postiebear wrote:

No no no! Gonzo as M, Rizzo at Tanner and

Professor Bunsen and Dr Beaker as Q and a stressed out Smithers respectively!

Statler as the minister of defence!

Lew Zealand would be Odd Job.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Try this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysw4Xv6JI_w

Watch the whole thing.
    Mimi mimi mimi mi, mimi mimi mee! (Falls about laughing)
    IanT wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    unless Craig has another successful, ready-made franchise to join -- Star Wars, Star Trek...

He's already a part of the Star Wars franchise. He had that stormtrooper cameo in Episode VII.
    Yeah, I saw his face on the poster. :)
    Number24 wrote:

Yes. Wes Bentley.

Jim Caviezel too (but I don't think an American should be Bond)
    Caviezel has some of the qualities that would make for a good Bond, but he's just such a snorefest as an actor.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,745MI6 Agent
    Caviezel is the same age as Craig so a bit old to be just getting started.
This discussion has been closed.