Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Since the Sony email hacks, anyway.

They go back over a year before that, at least back to June 2013:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-wire-hero-idris-elbas-biggest-challenge-yet-to-become-nelson-mandela-in-long-walk-to-freedom-8673643.html

So there's been talk of Elba being Bond for almost three years now. And I've been telling people for almost that long that Elba has not been cast as Bond. A few people I know actually thought that Elba was cast as Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,764Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-wire-hero-idris-elbas-biggest-challenge-yet-to-become-nelson-mandela-in-long-walk-to-freedom-8673643.html

So there's been talk of Elba being Bond for almost three years now. And I've been telling people for almost that long that Elba has not been cast as Bond. A few people I know actually thought that Elba was cast as Bond.

From what I've learned Elba wasn't ever 'in the frame' for the role of James Bond...it was Blofeld...
    YNWA 97
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,746MI6 Agent
    No disrespect to Idris Elba, he is a fine actor but the Elba as Bond thing is basically a joke. Before Elba it was Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes (neither of whom are even British). As far as Amy Pascal is concerned she was fired from Sony after the hacks. The hacks just seemed to be a bunch of Hollywood beancounters shooting from the hip, pissing and moaning about cost over runs. From anything I've ever read, Hollywood movie cost accounting is pretty much a joke. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony has been trying to get their hands on the Bond francise for years. If I remember correctly they were also involved in some legal/civil action with EON and MGM over Bond Rights (I guess it was Columbia's holding the rights to CR) prior to coming on board as distributor. Despite MGM recently downplaying the role of a new distribution partner in the Bond 25 equation IMO that's just spin to keep the stockholders happy. Whether Craig returns or there is to be a new Bond I would have to believe will effect EON/MGM's suitors as there is a huge amount of money at stake.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    I think a video was recently posted over at the MI6 forums of Michael Wilson confirming that the new distributors is 100% a MGM decision NOT EONs. Then I believe MGM has recently said said Bond will be a 3-4 year gap between films etc.

I guess factoring in the above two bits of news we could be waiting a long time for anything with regards to Bond 25 news
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    The 3 to 4 year gap between films I think is something we've all come to expect....hopefully it ends up being 3 rather than 4 for Bond 25.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Matt S wrote:

They can just keep talking about it ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Matt S wrote:

They can just keep talking about it ;)

Yes they can. 3 years and counting. I don't think he has a chance, since they can't pull off a Bond starting in his mid 40s again, especially if the films will only come every 3 to 4 years.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Craig is rich, he's married to Rachel, he can produce his own movies if he wants to.
    He's beyond needing Bond, and I don't think he's in it for the star trip.

Only time will tell, but I don't think that he will get all bitter and twisted like Sean did, although to be fair he has probably done a lot better out of it financially. I also don't think that the star trip matters much to him, he seems very comfortable in his skin and not neurotic and needy.he is a good actor, but not a 'movie star' I'm not sure if we even have those anymore. I'm willing to be corrected, but I can't think of a single actor who's name alone guarantees success. He'll be just fine with it I think.

Leonardo diCaprio's name carries a lot of weight, and he has probably been the world's biggest movie star since Titanic. He qualifies as a movie star. A few years ago I might have said Johnny Depp as well, but his popularity has tanked. Daniel Craig doesn't have enough screen presence to carry a film all by himself like Connery could, and perhaps that's one reason why M has been given a much bigger role in Craig's films. Dench and Fiennes are both incredibly accomplished and respected actors.
    How come you think Craig doesn't have enough screen presence to carry a film? not disagreeing, just curious, because outside of Bond his films haven't done that well so it is interesting to consider.
    Matt S wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Only time will tell, but I don't think that he will get all bitter and twisted like Sean did, although to be fair he has probably done a lot better out of it financially. I also don't think that the star trip matters much to him, he seems very comfortable in his skin and not neurotic and needy.he is a good actor, but not a 'movie star' I'm not sure if we even have those anymore. I'm willing to be corrected, but I can't think of a single actor who's name alone guarantees success. He'll be just fine with it I think.

Leonardo diCaprio's name carries a lot of weight, and he has probably been the world's biggest movie star since Titanic. He qualifies as a movie star. A few years ago I might have said Johnny Depp as well, but his popularity has tanked. Daniel Craig doesn't have enough screen presence to carry a film all by himself like Connery could, and perhaps that's one reason why M has been given a much bigger role in Craig's films. Dench and Fiennes are both incredibly accomplished and respected actors.
    How come you think Craig doesn't have enough screen presence to carry a film? not disagreeing, just curious, because outside of Bond his films haven't done that well so it is interesting to consider.

I don't think Craig has much charisma. He hasn't had the lead role in many films outside of Bond, and the ones he did lead never did well. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an exception.
    edited April 2016
    Matt S wrote:

I don't think Craig has much charisma. He hasn't had the lead role in many films outside of Bond, and the ones he did lead never did well. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an exception.

Shame Dragon Tattoo did crap at the box office as I love the film and I enjoyed his performance. Guess the sequels will never be made - especially with him anyhow
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,618Chief of Staff
    stag wrote:
    Personally I think they could do worse than throw Damian Lewis into the race. I may be wrong but I think I heard somewhere that he has an ambition to play 007? A good, solid & versatile actor with an impressive track record.

Before I'm deafened by "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! A Ginger Bond?!!!" I'm sure he'd be amenable to a spot of dye if the producers so desired.

Put your earplugs in, stag: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Damian Lewis?????" whatever hair colour. Btw, I just watched Hiddleston being interviewed and told the Bride that he was one of the contenders for next Bond, according to the press. Her response was "You've got to be joking".
    I like Damien Lewis also.....but he may be a bit old to start in 3 years as he turned 41 in Feb.
    Re: Craig's non-Bond films, IMO the best films that he has the lead in are "Layer Cake" and "Defiance".
    "Layer Cake" was well recieved in the States and an "Art House" hit. "Defiance" had generally positive reviews but just did moderate box office....I think it's a fine film with an excellent performance from Craig.
    HowardB wrote:
    I like Damien Lewis also.....but he may be a bit old to start in 3 years as he turned 41 in Feb.
    Re: Craig's non-Bond films, IMO the best films that he has the lead in are "Layer Cake" and "Defiance".
    "Layer Cake" was well recieved in the States and an "Art House" hit. "Defiance" had generally positive reviews but just did moderate box office....I think it's a fine film with an excellent performance from Craig.

+ 1 -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    They're also two of my favourite DC films. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Hmmm. Even I know that Idris Elba has not been cast as Bond and has no interest in playing Bond. But it's nice to imagine what could be...
    Isn't it wonderful? Imagination is fantastic.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 676MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Also The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which is up there with Skyfall for beautiful cinematography, and Munich.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,877MI6 Agent
    I read somewhere (was it Empire mag?) that they considered having 009 turn up in SPECTRE. The actor they wanted is ginger, starred in a spy-themed TV-series and has a wife with a connection to Bond. Damian Lewis is ginger, was in "Homeland" and is married to Hellen McCrory who was in Skyfall. If they saw him as a future Bond they wouldn't consider casting him as 009, IMO.
    Sounds like TH is obviously interested but sick of speculation

The Independant:

Ever since The Night Manager hit the airwaves one Sunday evening on BBC One, Tom Hiddleston has been inundated with questions about James Bond.

Although not an immediate choice beforehand, since his role as John Pine - as well as a spectacular performance in High Rise - fans have been pushing for the Loki-actor to take over as 007.

However, as welcome as being told ‘You should be the next Bond’ is for Hiddleston, he’s actually a little fed up with being asked about playing the spy.

"I feel like, I want to just make it stop,” he told Sky News. “Because I have no power over it, but that's what being famous is. You have no power over other people's opinions.

"People have very strong opinions about Bond and why shouldn't they? But it's difficult to talk about because it's a completely unreal conversation in a way.

Hiddleston confirmed that he had not spoken to studio executives about the role: “It's just an idea in people's minds so it's quite hard to engage with because it hasn't come from me if that makes sense.

"It's odd because it's becoming overwhelming - not the thing of it, but the number of people per day who bring it up, it's actually becoming a weird thing to deal with.”

Although he’s the bookies favourite to take on the role, current Bond Daniel Craig hasn’t officially stepped down. When promoting Spectre, Craig said he’d rather ‘slash his wrists’ than play the spy again. However, those involved with the project have been sending mixed messages about whether he will return or not.

Others in contention to succeed Craig include Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Aidan Turner and Henry Cavil, but so far there has been no official word
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Also The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which is up there with Skyfall for beautiful cinematography, and Munich.
    DC has put in some great performances, Flashbacks of a fool is a brilliant film, and also enduring love amongst others. I'm not of the opinion dollars at box office equals a good film.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited April 2016
    Craig has done some excellent work in supporting roles. He was outstanding as the cold blooded South African Assassin in "Munich" and his turn as murderer Perry Smith in the other, lesser known Truman Capote / In Cold Blood fim "Infamous". Craig's performance as Perry Smith was a very understated, nuanced take on a complicated and tortured soul. "Flashbacks of A Fool" is also very underrated film and another excellent performance by Craig. Craig also is a well respected stage actor. His performance in "A Steady Rain" (which EON produced) was praised by critics. I'd love to see "A Steady Rain" adapted for the screen. Craig, outside of Bond, may not be box office magic but he is a very well known name, a fine actor and does not have a reputation as being difficult or demanding so I don't think he'll have trouble finding work if he moves on. His future may be more in pay cable TV as so many excellent actors are being attracted to those productions because of the outstanding writing and willingness to take on and take more chances with more interesting and unusual subject matter in a more complete way than most Hollywood theatrical films.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    I think if Craig doesn't return Blofeld will be back, but not in the upcoming two or three movies. Then they'll take a break from this story, it's nice to have something else once in a while. Then later he'll somehow return, he isn't dead so everything can happen and I'm glad there are always possibilities.
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Shame Dragon Tattoo did crap at the box office as I love the film and I enjoyed his performance. Guess the sequels will never be made - especially with him anyhow

It was not a bad movie, but to me it's such a weird idea to shoot a movie that has already been made. The Swedish original was superior in every respect, so why bother?

My favourite movie with Craig is Defiance.
    The “hard reboot” that started with Craig has had many fans here, but I think the benefits were only temporary, and as a result the producers found themselves cornered by their own decision. Also, after huge commercial success of the last two movies they are now unable to produce the next one for 3-4 years, which is disappointing, especially so since a longer wait does not guarantee a great outcome. There are many great decisions to be made now: should a new actor play Bond, where to go from here, should there be a new reboot, who will be the distributor, and so on. Looks like commercial success has resulted in a minor crisis, reminiscent of what happened before and after Dalton.
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Dicaprio is phenominal in nearly everything he does. I don't think he would like to be apart of a franchise. Don't think he'd like that at all.

I've actually read that there really aren't any movie "stars" anymore that you can just slap there name on and people will see it. It's becoming exceedingly rare. Read a article aybe a year ago that said the only movie "stars" left are
    Pitt, Dicaprio, Cruise. Cruise drawing the most.
    Jag wrote:
    The “hard reboot” that started with Craig has had many fans here, but I think the benefits were only temporary, and as a result the producers found themselves cornered by their own decision. Also, after huge commercial success of the last two movies they are now unable to produce the next one for 3-4 years, which is disappointing, especially so since a longer wait does not guarantee a great outcome. There are many great decisions to be made now: should a new actor play Bond, where to go from here, should there be a new reboot, who will be the distributor, and so on. Looks like commercial success has resulted in a minor crisis, reminiscent of what happened before and after Dalton.

I agree. Hard reboot at time made sense. But with movies and franchises nowadays being so much about continuity and sequels, and etc... it's going to be hard to do. But theyve done it before. I'm sure they have been thinking on the possibility of what's next for awhile.
    Also my #1 choice is still Fassbender. I think he would be great in the role. Question is, is he to big now? Love his acting I think he'd certainly have the personality to be all Bond is.

Wouldn't mind his beautiful girlfreind to be a Bond Girl either.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    I agree, Fassbender is my #1 choice also.

Vikander has the right look... for Moneypenny, not a Bond girl.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
    eric7064 wrote:
    Jag wrote:

I agree. Hard reboot at time made sense. But with movies and franchises nowadays being so much about continuity and sequels, and etc... it's going to be hard to do. But theyve done it before. I'm sure they have been thinking on the possibility of what's next for awhile.

The question is, how much of the old Bond to keep, and how much to re-invent. So far the answer has been: a very new Bond, with gadgets and names from the olden times. I don't think this will work much longer, and sooner or later they will have to re-invent Bond and break with much of the past, including the gadgets. How many times can a different Bond drive the same DB5 with a seat ejector?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

It was not a bad movie, but to me it's such a weird idea to shoot a movie that has already been made. The Swedish original was superior in every respect, so why bother?

My favourite movie with Craig is Defiance.
    {[]
This discussion has been closed.