Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited April 2016
    zaphod99 wrote:
    I think that the radio silence indicates that quite apart from who plays him we are a LONG way off from a new Bond film. It's simply too early to make an announcement or to negotiate a commitment as it's very open ended. It could go as late as 2020. In which case even Hiddleston or Turner might be getting a bit long in the tooth to start as Bond. Also there is no advantage for Eon to say anything. I would not expect any announcement any time soon. Strap in, it's going to be a long ride...

To me, a wait that long would be indicative of other problems, such as an inability to secure distribution from Sony (a new deal there) or whomever takes that over from Sony...and that would truly be stupid; quite a shame :#

You're right; there's no advantage for Eon to say anything IF they have absolutely no idea whether Craig is staying. In Craig's case, IMO it's not open-ended at all: either he does another one or two, or he doesn't. If they're going to get Craig back and let him do a television series, it shouldn't take that long (five years!?), which would certainly mean the end of Craig's tenure at SP, as his biological clock is obviously ticking. The current silence has to be indicative of efforts to retain him, despite rumours of him being 'already gone.' I can certainly understand the fair point made that Eon will be inclined to give him some time and space to mull it over, but surely not indefinitely.

If, on the other hand, Craig has left the role (or rather, once he actually does leave), there is every advantage in making an announcement of a Search for a New James Bond...unless, once again, they honestly feel that distribution can't be secured in a timely fashion, which is mind-boggling to me, :s as surely there is a line of potential suitors lining up at MGM's door.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

Dinsey hasn't done so badly with franchises lately, so I'm not sure what you're scared of.

They've done some great stuff that I've thoroughly enjoyed, but off the top of my head it seems to all be superhero/comic book, animation and feel-good. I can't think of any thrillers or non-superhero/comic book action movies. Nothing like a Bond, Mission Impossible or Bourne, for example.

Fair point.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    I think that the radio silence indicates that quite apart from who plays him we are a LONG way off from a new Bond film. It's simply too early to make an announcement or to negotiate a commitment as it's very open ended. It could go as late as 2020. In which case even Hiddleston or Turner might be getting a bit long in the tooth to start as Bond. Also there is no advantage for Eon to say anything. I would not expect any announcement any time soon. Strap in, it's going to be a long ride...

To me, a wait that long would be indicative of other problems, such as an inability to secure distribution from Sony (a new deal there) or whomever takes that over from Sony...and that would truly be stupid; quite a shame :#

You're right; there's no advantage for Eon to say anything IF they have absolutely no idea whether Craig is staying. In Craig's case, IMO it's not open-ended at all: either he does another one or two, or he doesn't. If they're going to get Craig back and let him do a television series, it shouldn't take that long (five years!?), which would certainly mean the end of Craig's tenure at SP, as his biological clock is obviously ticking. The current silence has to be indicative of efforts to retain him, despite rumours of him being 'already gone.' I can certainly understand the fair point made that Eon will be inclined to give him some time and space to mull it over, but surely not indefinitely.

If, on the other hand, Craig has left the role (or rather, once he actually does leave), there is every advantage in making an announcement of a Search for a New James Bond...unless, once again, they honestly feel that distribution can't be secured in a timely fashion, which is mind-boggling to me, :s as surely there is a line of potential suitors lining up at MGM's door.

My reckoning makes it four years from now to 2020. 2019 is possible, 2018 is looking unlikely given that we are a ways into 2016 already.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    edited April 2016
    zaphod99 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

My reckoning makes it four years from now to 2020. 2019 is possible, 2018 is looking unlikely given that we are a ways into 2016 already.

2020 would obviously be five years on from SP, which came out last year ;) At this point (barring other news), 2018 would certainly be the earliest release date if no issues at all present themselves, since three years is regrettably the new norm. Regardless, it's not a very satisfactory state of affairs for Bond fans.
  • Markyb64Markyb64 Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    A couple of weeks ago on the Graham Norton Show which had Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck promoting the Batman v Superman movie, Cavill revealed that it is a fact that he came second in choice to Craig in 2005. I now hope he's top!! :)
    Markyb64 wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago on the Graham Norton Show which had Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck promoting the Batman v Superman movie, Cavill revealed that it is a fact that he came second in choice to Craig in 2005. I now hope he's top!! :)

I'm pretty sure that Cavill's age at the time of casting for CR (23) was the biggest issue the producers had. I've always been a proponent of his, and still am...but I doubt he'll get it, given everything else he's involved with. It's a shame, that.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,632MI6 Agent
    Markyb64 wrote:

I saw that. He also made it very clear that he still really really wants the role!
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:

2020 would obviously be five years on from SP, which came out last year ;) At this point (barring other news), 2018 would certainly be the earliest release date if no issues at all present themselves, since three years is regrettably the new norm. Regardless, it's not a very satisfactory state of affairs for Bond fans.

Agreed, it's dire all right.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    Markyb64 wrote:

I saw that. He also made it very clear that he still really really wants the role!

Henry is my number one choice, he'd be great!
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,680Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    If Craig is, in fact, leaving---as has been posited here, by credible sources---what would be Eon's rationale for delaying that announcement at this point, except for ongoing negotiations with a receptive incumbent?

Probably because they are trying to hold Craig to his contract...

I thought that Michael Wilson himself said that Craig was not contractually bound to do another.

The last I heard - about a month ago - there is a contract and it IS binding...but Craig wants out...is there any point in forcing DC to do another if he REALLY doesn't want to...?
    As always, the 'best' option is a 'mutual parting of the ways'... ;)
    YNWA 97
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Probably because they are trying to hold Craig to his contract...

I thought that Michael Wilson himself said that Craig was not contractually bound to do another.

The last I heard - about a month ago - there is a contract and it IS binding...but Craig wants out...is there any point in forcing DC to do another if he REALLY doesn't want to...?

Here's where MGW says they don't have a contract: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spectre-producer-expects-daniel-craig-837655
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,632MI6 Agent
    Of course, if this does drag out for three or four years, EON may be the ones not wanting Craig back as they may prefer someone younger.
    Of course, if this does drag out for three or four years, EON may be the ones not wanting Craig back as they may prefer someone younger.

And if Sir Miles is correct, perhaps that's what Craig will do: drag his feet until he's ultimately released :( Still, this would not square with insider info that he basically put his notice in last summer ?:)

Bottom line: it's all up in the air, as far as anyone knows :s
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Here's where MGW says they don't have a contract: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spectre-producer-expects-daniel-craig-837655

Yes...read that before...as I said...'smoke and mirrors'...believe what you will -{
    YNWA 97

And if Sir Miles is correct, perhaps that's what Craig will do: drag his feet until he's ultimately released :( Still, this would not square with insider info that he basically put his notice in last summer ?:)

Bottom line: it's all up in the air, as far as anyone knows :s

I think it perfectly 'squares up' with the insider info 8-)

DC put his notice in last summer...Eon tell him he has a contract for a fifth...DC says he isn't interested...they tell him it's binding...he wants to do other projects...but he makes Eon a shed load of cash as Bond...both are at a 'stand off' but Eon want to see if DC will continue willingly - they don't want to hurt the franchise...

Quite simple really...I thought you would have understood that :s

Anyway - believe what you wish -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

DC put his notice in last summer...Eon tell him he has a contract for a fifth...DC says he isn't interested...they tell him it's binding...he wants to do other projects...but he makes Eon a shed load of cash as Bond...both are at a 'stand off' but Eon want to see if DC will continue willingly - they don't want to hurt the franchise...

Well, perhaps for you chaps who clearly are brighter than the rest of us 8-)
    Not all of we Mortal Great Unwashed are privy to events up on Mount Olympus, after all.
    Sir Miles wrote:

Not really...it's very simple to grasp.
    YNWA 97
    Not all of we Mortal Great Unwashed are privy to events up on Mount Olympus, after all.

Ok, I'll leave it with you then.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Not really...it's very simple to grasp.

Not if you don't have all available information (binding contract, of which I was unaware, as I only hear the news feeds such as the link given above).

Thanks very much for the erudition; I know my place, and will remain respectfully silent. Cheers .
    Not if you don't have all available information (binding contract, of which I was unaware, as I only hear the news feeds such as the link given above).

Or just read what was posted earlier - I understand if that's too much trouble though 8-)
    Loffelholz wrote:
    Thanks very much for the erudition; I know my place, and will remain respectfully silent. Cheers .

I'd expect better than a childish comment from you - you let yourself down there...but I shall respect your silence.
    YNWA 97
    edited April 2016
    Sir Miles wrote:

Or just read what was posted earlier - I understand if that's too much trouble though 8-)
    Loffelholz wrote:

I'd expect better than a childish comment from you - you let yourself down there...but I shall respect your silence.

True. I have not read all posts on this thread(?), and generally have not needed to do so. Asp9mm said some time back that Craig was essentially gone; you tell me today that he has a binding contract. To me, those two things seemed contadictory, and that's what I reacted to. Your eye-rolling is not the sort of disrespect to which I'm accustomed on this site (at least, not from a moderator!), but clearly things have changed. Nor are further insults at all becoming.

I'm honestly not sure how we got to this place, but I'll not linger where my presence is problematic, and shall defer to your vast relative maturity in handling this situation.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Loffelholz wrote:

True. I have not read all posts on this thread(?), and generally have not needed to do so. Asp9mm said some time back that Craig was essentially gone; you tell me today that he has a binding contract. To me, those two things seemed contadictory, and that's what I reacted to. Your eye-rolling is not the sort of disrespect to which I'm accustomed on this site (at least, not from a moderator!), but clearly things have changed. Nor are further insults at all becoming.

I'm honestly not sure how we got to this place, but I'll not linger where my presence is problematic, and shall defer to your vast relative maturity in handling this situation.

Don't blame Sir Miles. Things are confusing, and indeed contradictory. I'm confused and have a good inkling of what is happening. I think :s

As it is, the press have absolutely no idea :)) BUT, may very well have influenced things going in a slightly different direction. But on this last part I'm speculating.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Don't blame Sir Miles. Things are confusing, and indeed contradictory. I'm confused and have a good inkling of what is happening. I think :s

As it is, the press have absolutely no idea :)) BUT, may very well have influenced things going in a slightly different direction. But on this last part I'm speculating.

Thank you -{

DC returning just seems like a big game of 'chicken' - or 'see who will blink first'...I would have thought we all would understand that...I assume it's all about money in the end...?...

I'm not really sure why you got so confused and upset, Loeff...
    YNWA 97
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    He seemed a more middle class type of character when they wrote Bond's character in CR.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    So it seems we may be in for another post QOS hiatus?
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I just can't get behind Cavill yet. He "looks" like superman but his performances are so wooden and boring.

So he "looks" like Bond. But I haven't seen the acting chops. And I think we would get a very wooden bond portrayal.

Some dislike Craigs portrayal. Well I feel Cavill's would be similar but 10× worse.

And I lIke Craigs portrayal.

Fassbender still for me.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:
    I just can't get behind Cavill yet. He "looks" like superman but his performances are so wooden and boring.

So he "looks" like Bond. But I haven't seen the acting chops. And I think we would get a very wooden bond portrayal.

Some dislike Craigs portrayal. Well I feel Cavill's would be similar but 10× worse.

And I lIke Craigs portrayal.

Fassbender still for me.

I agree. I think Craig is quite wooden as Bond, and Cavill would be even more wooden, like Pierce Brosnan.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure he really looks like Bond to me. I may be in the minority, but I find Cavill's face unlikable, a combination of his physiognomy and expressions. Perhaps it's because he reminds me too much of Disney villains, like Brom Bones and Gastogne:

cavill.jpg

download_45.jpg

download_44.jpg
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,745MI6 Agent
    Cavill is a decent actor who certainly "looks" the part but I don't know if he can move well enough to be an outstanding Bond and what I mean by "outstanding" is that there are plenty of actors who can look and attempt to act like Bond in a generic way but will the audience really believe they are Bond? A good example of this was the first time we see Timothy Dalton in TLD the audience immediately recognizes him as Bond with no introduction. I think Fassbender could pull this off with ease and inhabit the role. IMO, Dan Stevens may also be able to pull it off. I continue to stand by my theory that "poster boy" Bonds don't generally translate well to the screen.
This discussion has been closed.