Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    ToTheRight wrote:
    I'd have to say none of these candidates really grab me as being Bond. Too many photos I've seen of a long haired Aidan Turner in which he reminds me of Entourage's Vincent Chase. Hiddleson...maybe, Fassbender.....maybe. As for Idris or Tom Hardy....it's been discussed on so many boards over and over to the point of..well what is the point? One could argue the positives and negatives for Idris or Hardy playing OO7, and in my opinion, the same points could almost be made on both sides for, say, Robert Downey Jr or Al Pacino playing Bond. I'm feeling that most audiences today aren't exactly comprised of Bond or Fleming aficionados, and would probably be fine with someone like Downey Jr. as Bond. They'd probably think it was cool and wouldn't complain that he's not British.
    To me, that would be like casting Clint Eastwood as Dracula.... which is how I feel about Idris or Tom Hardy as Bond.

Clint Eastwood as Dracula? LOL "Go ahead, punk, make my night!"

Of the current names I think Aidan Tuner could appeal to B Broccoli. I'd wager he would be higher up the list than Tom Hiddleston. I can't see much macho vibe to him.

I sort of agree with you about the candidates not grabbing you. There doesn't appear to be a stand-out candidate, but just my humble opinion.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    The more I think about it and the more I look at these possible new Bonds the more I hope Craig returns for at least one more. IMO, it would just be much better to finish up the SPECTRE/Blofeld thing with Craig. For all its flaws, I really enjoyed "SPECTRE" and I believe with a new director (Martin Campbell brought the Craig era in, it would be great if he could sheppard it out) that could "tighten" things up a bit there is just so much potential with Waltz as Blofeld and Criag's Bond in the right hands. The only actor who could step right in and pick up where Craig left off is Fassbender IMO. If Craig won't return if EON could entice Fassbender with a two film deal to finish up the Blofeld/SPECTRE story (he's only 38 now, if filming begins when he is 39 he'd only be 42 for Bond 26 and could even easily manage a 3rd film at 45).
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The more I think about it and the more I look at these possible new Bonds the more I hope Craig returns for at least one more. IMO, it would just be much better to finish up the SPECTRE/Blofeld thing with Craig. For all its flaws, I really enjoyed "SPECTRE" and I believe with a new director (Martin Campbell brought the Craig era in, it would be great if he could sheppard it out) that could "tighten" things up a bit there is just so much potential with Waltz as Blofeld and Criag's Bond in the right hands. The only actor who could step right in and pick up where Craig left off is Fassbender IMO. If Craig won't return if EON could entice Fassbender with a two film deal to finish up the Blofeld/SPECTRE story (he's only 38 now, if filming begins when he is 39 he'd only be 42 for Bond 26 and could even easily manage a 3rd film at 45).

I could live with those options {[]
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I agree on everything but Fassbender. He is far too famous by now.
    Number24 wrote:

Agree but wishful thinking!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

What is wishful thinking? Isn't Fassbender famous?
    Number24 wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

What is wishful thinking? Isn't Fassbender famous?

Wishful thinking = Basically daydreaming. Wishing or imagining something would happen that isn't exactly realistic

In other words I would like to see Fassbender as Bond (prefer DC to do another though) but know its prob 99.9% unlikely :)
    Oh, so you ment HowardB's post was wishful thinking?
    Yeah 100%. Would be perfect scenarios in my view!!!!!

Campbell & DC again for a finale or if no DC then Fassbender - would make me happy!
    edited March 2016
    I wouldn't undersestimate the general public's attachment to Craig as Bond. I also wouldn't underestimate EON (and their next partners, be it Sony or another studio) willingness to dig deep into their pockets to get the next Bond if they belieive that actor to be pivotal in keeping the franchise viable. The situation with Craig is completely different than Brosnan. EON chose to move on from Brosnan because they feared the series was getting stale and ran the risk of becoming passe'. If Craig departs, it will be of his choosing; EON by all accounts very much wants him to continue. IMO, I don't believe EON wants to re-boot or even semi-reboot. Fassbender is not a big star. He is well known (at least in the USA) mainly for his role in the XMen films, however he is a well respected actor and so perfect for the current characterization of Bond that his name above the title for 25 is worth much more than it would be for any other film except XMen. Fassbender being one of the highest earning actors in 2014 is misleading; while he is does not come "cheap" the high number had more to do with the shear number of leading roles he had in "A" list films that year which was much more than typical. My guess is that Fassbinder would probably not demand more than Craig currently does as Bond. Whether or not he would even be interested....who knows? My guess is unfortunately not. I have a feeling, based upon Craig's relationship with Barbara Broccoli/EON (let's face it, they made his career) that along with a crazy boatload of money, he comes back for 25.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    If Craig departs, it will be of his choosing; EON by all accounts very much wants him to continue. IMO, I

Actually, that statement could not be further from the truth at this precise moment.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    If Craig departs, it will be of his choosing; EON by all accounts very much wants him to continue. IMO, I

Actually, that statement could not be further from the truth at this precise moment.

So Craig now wants to continue and EON are ready to move on? Interesting.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

And please share with us what you are basing that on.......my posts are strictly based upon my own opinion and conjecture....you appear to be quoting facts....which could certainly be accurate, I'm probably just not as tuned into this stuff....however if its tab or internet silliness -{ 8-)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    HowardB wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

And please share with us what you are basing that on.......my posts are strictly based upon my own opinion and conjecture....you appear to be quoting facts....which could certainly be accurate, I'm probably just not as tuned into this stuff....however if its tab or internet silliness -{ 8-)

I don't wish to speak FOR Asp9mm but he's always been spot on with the current thinking...obviously it's a fickle business and subject to change...it's certainly NOT internet silliness though -{
    YNWA 97
    Asp9mm wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

No. quite the opposite. I was referring to the statement where Miles Messervy said if Craig departs, it will be of his choosing. The EON bit he states is accurate. Sorry, didn't make myself clear.
    Things seem to either move very fast these days with the news cycle......thought maybe I missed something official re Craig's moving on.
    I guess, "Never Say Never" but it then appears that we need to keep this thread going just in case EON needs some help handicapping the prospective new Bonds. :)) You have to wonder if the reported "conditions" of Waltz' contract to continue as "Blofeld" (dependant on Craig returning as Bond) if true actually gives EON the flexibility of moving on with a new Bond actor in a standalone story and giving them the freedom and flexability of choosing a "new Bond" rather than a "Craig as Bond replacement" if that makes any sense.
    Everything reported regarding Waltz contracts and Craigs have been for the most part false so far. Eon are the ones being inflexible, and at the moment, that isn't looking good for those of us that want the next movie to come quickly.
    edited March 2016
    I wonder what the status of EON's future partner is now that the agreement with Sony has expired or is expiring?....another thing that could delay the next film. Could the departure of Craig be having a negative effect on EON securing a new partner or Sony re-upping? Could EON be purposely delaying things in general to put as much distance between SPECTRE and 25 (and Craig as Bond) to make it easier to get a fresh start with a new actor? I really do not relish the idea of waiting five years between films. I would have to think that EON's other partner, MGM (which is very dependent on Bond as their big money maker) couldn't be too happy about that kind of delay.
    Is Craig's departure really a money issue? Is EON playing a game of manipulation/chicken by not being willing to ante up for Craig to return and hoping that their next partner will agree to pick up the tab for him to return to ensure return on their investment? Am I rambling on because it's past my bedtime and lack of sleep is giving me "next Bond paranoia" :s Time to go to bed. James Bond will be back....hopefully while I can still make it to a theater without a wheelchair.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Everything reported regarding Waltz contracts and Craigs have been for the most part false so far. Eon are the ones being inflexible, and at the moment, that isn't looking good for those of us that want the next movie to come quickly.

But I want the next movie to come correctly. If waiting four years means getting a GREAT finale to the Craig run, I'll wait happily.
    Waiting four years probably means no Craig.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

No. quite the opposite. I was referring to the statement where Miles Messervy said if Craig departs, it will be of his choosing. The EON bit he states is accurate. Sorry, didn't make myself clear.

For what it's worth, that was HowardB's statement, not mine. But thank you for clarifying. -{
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I read earlier on the MI6 site and commanderbond site that MGM anticipates 3-4 years being the norm. There is no rush to get the studio partnership resolved anytime soon. If that's the case I doubt Craig will come back at all, and whoever replaces him will only get 2 or 3 films during their era.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I think that now is the time for Craig to move on because people now are expecting a new Bond actor. The media has convinced the public that Craig is done and there are new actors lined up to be considered. And the public is excited for a new Bond. I think that if the next Bond film has a new actor, it could be more successful than another Craig film.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Also very keen to understand your rationale. What do you know that we don't? come on share with us B-)
    I see no change in the Babs-Danny love in. I can only imagine if that has thawed it's as a consequence of the damaging oft quoted 'I'd rather slash my wrists ' sulk fest. Otherwise it's still "Babs and Danny sittin in a Tree " as far as I can see. If Daniel stays he will be designing the costumes (not a bad idea as he dresses himself with more style than the costume dept) composing the music, hiring the Director, writing the script...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Revs1972Revs1972 Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    DC wants to do his mini series in the states.
    They will postpone B25 to allow this.
    That is all :))
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Revs1972 wrote:
    DC wants to do his mini series in the states.
    They will postpone B25 to allow this.
    That is all :))

Nah f**k him. He's too old and supposedly isn't enjoying it anymore.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    ToTheRight wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    I read earlier on the MI6 site and commanderbond site that MGM anticipates 3-4 years being the norm. There is no rush to get the studio partnership resolved anytime soon. If that's the case I doubt Craig will come back at all, and whoever replaces him will only get 2 or 3 films during their era.

Here's more detail:
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer said this week that James Bond movies will come out on a “three-to-four year cycle” and it’s not hurrying to strike a new 007 distribution deal.

The disclosures were made by MGM chief Gary Barber during the question-and-answer portion of the company’s fourth-quarter and year-end earnings conference call.

Six years ago, when the studio was in bankruptcy, it produced a plan calling for Bond films to again come out on an every-other-year basis. After Skyfall came out, Barber began backpedaling during a November 2012 investor call. This week, he made clear an every-other-year 007 schedule is never going to happen.

The 007 films have “been on a cycle of every three to hour years and I anticipate it will be on that same three-to-four year cycle,” Barber said.

A four year gap would make Craig's return less likely, perhaps. I reckon so.
    By today's standards, Craig doing one more Bond at 51 or so is not such a big deal. Contemporary male action stars have a long shelf life these days. Craig's age might be more of an issue with some of us on the AJB than the general public. Of course, EON's feelings (and of course what Craig wants to do) certainly will be the deciding factor.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:
    ToTheRight wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Here's more detail:
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer said this week that James Bond movies will come out on a “three-to-four year cycle” and it’s not hurrying to strike a new 007 distribution deal.

The disclosures were made by MGM chief Gary Barber during the question-and-answer portion of the company’s fourth-quarter and year-end earnings conference call.

Six years ago, when the studio was in bankruptcy, it produced a plan calling for Bond films to again come out on an every-other-year basis. After Skyfall came out, Barber began backpedaling during a November 2012 investor call. This week, he made clear an every-other-year 007 schedule is never going to happen.

The 007 films have “been on a cycle of every three to hour years and I anticipate it will be on that same three-to-four year cycle,” Barber said.

A four year gap would make Craig's return less likely, perhaps. I reckon so.

That appears to be that then. More of a whimper than a bang. Bit of a shame though. What are we going to do here on AJB?
    I would advocate an embargo on discussing the next film or Bond for the time being. Lots we could do, a proper 'drains-up' on the Craig era, or focus on the novels? Alternatively I'm sure there is lots of mileage in Bonds folding knife or some more ranking to be done. How about top ten Ties or M's hair styles through the series? Bond and Existential Phemenonology anyone?
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    It's what we do. Who will be the next Bond will always be the hot-button topic, especially when we are in one of those early informational "gray zones" when we really have no idea of what is happening. Just an aside, am I just imagining this or do actors who are quoated as saying "They would love to play Bond" (as Tom Hiddleston was recently) never get the role. Is it "the next Bond actor kiss of death". I have this theory that anyone really under consideration by EON is made to sign a non-disclosure.
This discussion has been closed.