Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    Guys, you're missing the point.
    Bond certainly can have an English accent, including RP. That's within the bounds of his character's history. However, he doesn't REQUIRE to have one given his background.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I beleive that the next Bond should actually speak in Tongues or Pig Latin. Better yet, Bond should sing his lines...we could have "Bond 25: The Musical". :s
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=edm0YJraeVI
    Speak proper, me old **** !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Keep your bathroom habits to yourself TP!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Personally, the only candidate to play Bond in Bond25 is Michael Fassbender. Irish/German and grown up in London is perfect for Scottish/Swiss roots and grown up in London. He looks the part, sounds the part, is a brilliant actor and the right age.

Idris doesn't have the look or age.
    Tom looks too cute.
    Aidan looks squirrelly.
    Tom Hardy will give us another Craig era of James Bond, which isn't ideal for me - and Hardy doesn't look like Bond should.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    I'd have to say none of these candidates really grab me as being Bond. Too many photos I've seen of a long haired Aidan Turner in which he reminds me of Entourage's Vincent Chase. Hiddleson...maybe, Fassbender.....maybe. As for Idris or Tom Hardy....it's been discussed on so many boards over and over to the point of..well what is the point? One could argue the positives and negatives for Idris or Hardy playing OO7, and in my opinion, the same points could almost be made on both sides for, say, Robert Downey Jr or Al Pacino playing Bond. I'm feeling that most audiences today aren't exactly comprised of Bond or Fleming aficionados, and would probably be fine with someone like Downey Jr. as Bond. They'd probably think it was cool and wouldn't complain that he's not British.
    To me, that would be like casting Clint Eastwood as Dracula.... which is how I feel about Idris or Tom Hardy as Bond.
    Not sure about casual fans of the franchise accepting anyone in the role of Bond. I know lots of people who still don't take to Craig on the simple fact that he isn't tall and a brunette. But I suppose, the writing of Bond in CR and QOS wouldn't have helped, either.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    I think Turner ticks most of the boxes, and my wife agrees (which makes a change) Hiddleston looks too light weight , anyway after Then There Were None some of the stills look like they were lifted straight from a 50s set Moonraker.

At Blades with Drax
    JS78997196.jpg

Under the cliffs with Gala Brand following their escape

b62714ecf2a5d219c8ea545cb0a56ff5.jpg
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited March 2016
    ToTheRight wrote:
    I'd have to say none of these candidates really grab me as being Bond. Too many photos I've seen of a long haired Aidan Turner in which he reminds me of Entourage's Vincent Chase. Hiddleson...maybe, Fassbender.....maybe..

Fassbender would have been fine in 2005. That ship has probably sailed. Turner has long wavy hair and a penchant for stubble but when they give him a short back and sides and a shave he's very James Bond.

tumblr_o014pv26oe1tvggb7o3_1280.png
    aidan-turner.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

2784.jpg
    Yeah, this actor could do it!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    If there is one thing the Daniel Craig era has taught me it is that I really don’t care who is playing Bond, up to a certain point. When you look at my list of favourite Bond movies you will see that all 6 Bond actors have one of their movies in my top 10 and 4 of the 6 actors have a movie in my bottom 5. I think it is safe to say that the movie itself is more important to me than the actor playing Bond.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Actually, stag, I see a slight resemblance to the late Edward Underdown (who has been mentioned as one of Fleming's choices):

AA_OLD_MAN_10.jpg

He was never really in the running, since he was too old by the time the films were being made. He is in TB, though (on the right in the pic below).

AA_OLD_MAN.jpg
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    sniperUK wrote:
    I think Turner ticks most of the boxes, and my wife agrees (which makes a change) Hiddleston looks too light weight , anyway after Then There Were None some of the stills look like they were lifted straight from a 50s set Moonraker.

At Blades with Drax
    JS78997196.jpg

Under the cliffs with Gala Brand following their escape

b62714ecf2a5d219c8ea545cb0a56ff5.jpg

I'm starting to appreciate Aidan here- his style. There he looks quite Bondian. I really hope who ever gets the part has a classic Bond look. Aidan's haircut in those pictures is pure Fleming. Almost reminds me of Bond model Dick Orme.
  • Ronin1974Ronin1974 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Gents, first of all hello everybody, the name is Roberto and I am from Palermo, Italy ( being a newbie introducing myself seems appropriate... :007) ) .
    I guess that everybody agrees on the fact that Daniel Craig has changed the perception of the franchise (I hope) forever.
    I will personally never accept a drawback on the Brosnam style (not even mentioning Moore...) considering the grit, actorial, yet physical take of Craig THE added value to the character.
    Said that, Craig is aging, and is not aging that good, if I can say that. He is aware of that and if rumors are true he is taking the right decision to leave now.
    To me, the only real alternative to D.C considering all the names popped out in these days is Fassbender.
    He can start exactly from where Craig left, his actor skills are out of discussion, he is stylish (womanizer? sure. Looks good in a sharp suite? yes), he can be DAMN physical, and he definitely looks like he can take someone's life and order a drink 5 minutes after.
    Furthermore, he is in the perfect age range.
    39, right? If EON starts shooting next year, and it sounds reasonable, he will be almost 41 when the movie will hit the theatres: perfect, unless somebody thinks about another reboot. Very bad idea, to me. Too early.
    Is he very famous? Yes. But with the gross numbers of the last two installments and related expectations, I guess that this could turn in an advantage more than a limit.
    Finally, he has another characteristic that even Craig missed: his looks and smile are subtly cruel. It's something very present in Fleming's Bond and with a single illustrious precedent: Sir Connery.
    This or a completely unknown actor not mentioned yet. To me.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Ciao Roberto e benvenuto! A lot of people like Fassbender for the role, I think he might be a little too old for the role, but Roger Moore was 47 when he started so why not. However, I don't think you need another reboot if they cast someone a bit younger. To me the Bond movies have always been stand alone adventures of James Bond, who doesn't age and looks different from time to time.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Ronin1974Ronin1974 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    Ciao Roberto e benvenuto! A lot of people like Fassbender for the role, I think he might be a little too old for the role, but Roger Moore was 47 when he started so why not. However, I don't think you need another reboot if they cast someone a bit younger. To me the Bond movies have always been stand alone adventures of James Bond, who doesn't age and looks different from time to time.
    Hi Peppermill, are you from Delft? I use to go there from time to time, I have business relationship with a certain offshore company based there... ;)
    Sure, you are right, a 35yo guy should not necessary be a "Young Bond", but a lot of the proposed actors in that age have a very childish face and , with that respect, I'd rather bet on a 42yo Fassbender...
    100% agree on your last sentence.
    Hi Ronin1974, and welcome to AJB. Hope you enjoy yourself here. We have an introduction for new members http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45180/introduction-how-to-use-the-forum/ and please feel free to introduce yourself to us at http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/welcome-comings-goings/page/68/
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited March 2016
    Aiden Turner Dan Stevens and Tom Hiddleson are all potentials, but it depends in what direction The House of Eon want to go.

Turner (as highlighted by the pics) would be a good classic Bond. Definitely could see him in an EON classic era film, set during the period of Mr Flemming's books. But we know that they won't to keep Bond contemporary. Esp with MI and Bourne still viable at present.

Stevens. - He has wide scale exposure through Downton Abbey, and could easily give a sharp tough edge to a modern Bond. However, he is a leapfrog actor. Doesn't like to be tied to one project for too long, and he was the first actor to choose to leave Downton. Although adaptable - he lost a lot of weight for certain projects, would he commit to four, five films? Doubtful, even if it was Bond!

Hiddleson. His already established big screen status and popularity as Loki in the Marvel films is the only drawback here. That could be something that would put The House Of Eon off. Having said that, like Craig he continues to do stage work and is not shy of television projects if they interest him. The only problem is how much would he want in his paycheque for the role? Uncertain. He could be amazing at the crueler aspects of the character.

As to Michael Fassbender, Hugh Jackman, Damien Lewis, - their chance came in the Craig casting slot in 2005. They lost out then, and are too old for the role now for EON to get multiple film mileage from them.

Eddie Redmaine, Jamie Dornan, Benedict Cumberbatch.
    - A bit young for the character and too well known now due to other franchises, especially Cumberbatch. Sometimes being a well known face can be a disadvantage with certain types of role. Sir Sean, Mr Lazenby and Mr Craig are proof that obscure is bankable in the long run for EON.

Tom Hardy, Jason Statham, Gerard Butler
    - Only works if Bond is going down the gritty grunting expendables road in tone. These guys are solid action actors and play damaged characters well too. However they would fail to demonstrate the class and refinement which is a given bedrock of the character. A complaint some throw at Mr Craig. Lacking that would loose a lot of people who like that part of Bond, especially women in the audience. Statham has never expressed interest in the role. Butler worked on TND, and ironically is too Connery-like to be a contender as a new type of Bond. (Damned shame too)

I have seen Donald Standen in a few things, he is a solid actor - no pun intended. But he is too much like Connery in looks.
    EON will not cast someone who could be accused of being a look a like to a previous Bond.

The often shouted A listers in the room - Idris Elba has already publicly stated he is flattered at people suggesting him, but he is simply not interested in playing Bond. Henry Cavill has also made similar statements since he became Superman in Man Of Steel.

My position? - None of us know who will be the next actor to play Bond after Mr Craig. Because he has not yet made himself apparent, to us in the audience, or the casting dept of The House Of Eon.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Daniel Craig hasn't even left yet...
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    From Empire Online:

After all the anticipation, Spectre has been and gone, and the internet rumour-mill now turns to the nascent Bond 25. Still officially the incumbent James Bond, Daniel Craig hasn't committed himself to returning, and it's possible to read the final scenes of Spectre as his bidding farewell to the role. And according to director Sam Mendes, there may be something in that.

"It did feel to me like Daniel was saying goodbye to Bond at the end", Mendes told Empire at the awards last night, "but there’s clearly a way he can easily come back. Bond isn’t dead! So that’s clearly Daniel’s call. But I think you’ve got to feel 100% to come back, and I think he knows that. He needs to have a break and do another role and see how he feels after that. I’ll be watching with as much interest as you guys."

Much was made last year of Craig appearing to say he'd rather slash his wrists than play Bond again. But his words were taken slightly out of context; he was talking about his exhaustion with the role having just finished a gruelling shoot. He didn't necessarily mean forever. So Mendes' words here leave us more or less in the same place, while confirming that Craig has been consciously given an out should he decide to take it.

Development on Bond 25 begins imminently. No cast, director or screenwriters have yet been announced, although Christoph Waltz' Bond contract was reportedly for three films.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Turner (as highlighted by the pics) would be a good classic Bond. Definitely could see him in an EON classic era film, set during the period of Mr Flemming's books. But we know that they won't to keep Bond contemporary. Esp with MI and Bourne still viable at present.

I agree that this would be an interesting direction to take but, as you say, EON won't go there.

I find myself conflicted as to whether EON should do the Marvel thing and develop a Bond TV series that faithfully follows the Fleming novels whilst continuing the film series. I'd love to see it but my inner geek would get confused and I'd have loads of arguments about canon and timelines...
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    I find myself conflicted as to whether EON should do the Marvel thing and develop a Bond TV series that faithfully follows the Fleming novels whilst continuing the film series. I'd love to see it but my inner geek would get confused and I'd have loads of arguments about canon and timelines...

I'd love to see it too, they could do faithful adaptations of the book. But yes it would get confusing for audiences, and it would mean they have two James Bond actors which would be a marketing nightmare. So I don't think it's feasible
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    Bondage007 wrote:
    IanT wrote:

I'd love to see it too, they could do faithful adaptations of the book. But yes it would get confusing for audiences, and it would mean they have two James Bond actors which would be a marketing nightmare. So I don't think it's feasible

I don't think it will ever happen but if they set the series in the 50's and moved away from the typical Bond formula I could see it working side by side without confusion although I definitely agree on the two Bonds thing.
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
    I don't think EON would take Bond to HBO, Showtime, etc with more literal adaptations of Fleming's books, period pieces, etc....
    As long as Bond is still viable as a big screen theatrical "tentpole" event it will stay that way for EON, MGM and their next potential production partners who are probably lining up as I write this comment.
    With regards to Tom Hiddleston (who is not my favorite to replace Craig if it comes to that) I will say based upon what I recently read about his "DeNiro-like" preparation to portray Hank Williams (ran/biked up to 25 miles per day and dieted to lose 25lbs to look like the rail thin Williams, practicing guitar and singing for months) that given the opportunity he would certainly put the effort in to transform himself into a convincing Bond....which would go a long way IMO. Like DeNiro or Tom Hardy, he might prove himself to be one of those chameleon-like character actors who has the ability to transform himself convincingly into a role.
    I've mentioned to a few friends about Tom Hiddleston being a likely candidate. Responses have ranged from positive to the not so positive.

For the not so positive I show them this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGas3e7p_9A

and suddenly they all change their mind and agree that he could be Bond.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    I've mentioned to a few friends about Tom Hiddleston being a likely candidate. Responses have ranged from positive to the not so positive.

For the not so positive I show them this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGas3e7p_9A

and suddenly they all change their mind and agree that he could be Bond.

That video only reinforces what I previously thought about him. He just reminds me of Alan Rickman and other British actors who play a lot of villains who I could never imagine as Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    No Matt, no. Embrace Tom as a future Bond.

Whoever plays Bond next, I really hope that the storylines move to a spy theme and away from the assassin line.

I think Tom Hiddleston could pull that off quite well! :))

Oh, and Caro Emerald for the title song! Yeah!!!
    Thanks for posting the Jag advert w/ Hiddleston. Still not my first choice but he could do it.....a better haircut would be a must. The problem Hiddleston might have is he might be considered a bit too much of a throwback.....a bit too smooth, maybe too much of an achetype or even stereotype and as Matt S alluded to, maybe a bit too identifiable as a villain. Despite the controversy regarding Craig's blond hair, average height, and less classic more rugged looks he was able to carve out a contemporary take on Bond that sucessfully melded some classic Bond elements with the buff gritty modern action hero and won over the general public in a big way. Anything that veers a bit too much in the other direction could flirt with parody and that could kill off the series. Dan Stevens might fit the bill very well, however my only reservation about him (and it could be totally off the mark) is something he said in an interview while promoting the film "The Guest" that he really wasn't into working out and really disliked having to do all the physical training that the role required. Again, I could be totally wrong but to me that doesn't bode well for the commitment it takes to prepare and weather the demands of one Bond film much less 3 or 4. Just sayin'.
    I don't agree. The teddy bear looks of Tom Hiddleston might throw the series back to the Moore era, but it's much more preferable than Craig's humourless, soulless, thuggish portrayal of Bond. And while Hiddleston is not my first choice for Bond #7 - Fassbender is - a smoother, refined, gentleman spy is what Bond is, and that's where the series needs to go after Craig. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen, though given the success of Spy and Kingsmen, maybe it will. Who knows?
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Hiddleston can do cold and nasty if he chooses. The 'Teddy Bear' thing actually accentuates the latent hardness and for me does not count against him. He is more than capable physically but would not be the Statham like terminator of late. To me this is in keeping, Bond is described as "tough and resourceful, also tenacious. He is not however Superman. Hiddleston hits the mark nicely for me. He is however unlikely to become Bond as his star is too much in the ascendant and he is likely to be more expensive than the notoriously cheap EON are willing to pay. Turner is more likely in my view.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
This discussion has been closed.