Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Still reckon it's gonna be Celo Greene :))
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    edited March 2016
    Will Craig surprise us all and return for a 5th outing?

Also, whoever replaces Craig will be a lesser known actor than all the suggestions I bet... I mean, have any of the bonds been very well known actors before they took on Bond? In film I mean.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I suspect Craig will do one more, which will tie up the Blofeld intro in Spectre. Then a new Bond will come aboard -- right now, Turner seems a frontrunner.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Does anyone think that Craig is waiting to read a script, or at least an outline, before he says yes or no to the next one? That at least seems plausible to me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    At the moment it's all guess work. Although it's all publicity for Bond. With every agent with an actor of
    the right age, putting out a story of how " They're in the running for 007" ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Aidan Turner all the way. Handsome, charming, can be brooding & tough onscreen, right age, great in interviews. -{

tumblr_nzztsxmhwb1rrhhnko1_500.gif?w=620&h=310&crop=1

Aidan-Turner.jpg

Heared this name drop a couple of times before now, he looks pretty Bondian and defenitely seems to have potential!

I also think Turner is an excellent pick. He'd be at the right age and could do a number of films before looking too old for the part. I personally would put him ahead of anyone else. He's not as well known internationally as some of the others - which is a plus when casting a new Bond since and would be good to have someone who looks very different from Craig to aid in showing the series was switching over into a new phase of films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/aidan-turner-in-talks-play-7560057

It's only The Mirror, but it's a step up from The Sun.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    He certainly looks the part IMHO!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    I was initially cautious about Aidan Turner but the more I think about it, the more I think he would be a great pick. He ticks many of the boxes which the other (ridiculously not true) names being thrown around.

He is Irish/Can pull of an English accent (Enough with even considering American actors!)

He is the perfect age. 32 now, 34-35 for his first film if Craig wasn't returning, under 50 by the time he would finish (Fassbender/Idris Elba etc are already far too old to start now)

He looks the part. Has dark hair, can play for comedy while also having a rough around the edges persona. He can also pull off a tux!

He is physical enough to play an Secret Service agent while not being too buff

He is a rising star who is known enough but isn't a household Hollywood mega star like most other 'Potential Bonds' that are thrown around. This is closer to the other Bonds who were well known but didn't really become super well known until they become Bond.

He is a good actor!

Honestly I don't think he will become Bond but he is the only name I have ever seen thrown around that I am actually on board with. All the other names just have so much going against them. That being said I would still prefer a lesser known name that hasn't really already been touted as a future Bond but I would be perfectly fine with Aidan Turner!
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
    DR NO-ah wrote:
    He is Irish/Can pull of an English accent

8-) Here we go again.

Since James Bond isn't English, this qualification for the part isn't necessary.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :))
    Connery managed a "Fair" stab at it, well I could understand him. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    AA_OLD_MAN.jpg
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    DR NO-ah wrote:
    He is Irish/Can pull of an English accent

8-) Here we go again.

Since James Bond isn't English, this qualification for the part isn't necessary.

Considering his education, wouldn't Bond speak in RP? That means the English accent is important.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    A British accent is.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    In today's cinema/TV world actors seem to really put the time in to get accents right. I'm sure with some coaching and practice, Turner will be able to speak with the proper English accent. As far as his "buffness" is concerned, that can be addressed with a personal trainer. It all will come down to how he comes off in his Bond screen test. There are lots of actors or male models who can look like the perfect Bond in a still photo.....but once the cameras start rolling they have to be able to move, speak, and actually embody Bond with the requisite presence, charisma and element of danger. It's what separates the "Poster Boys' from the real Bonds.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Couldn't agree more, Apparantly Cavills screen test was amazing but Babs had her heart set on DC.everyone says they won't hire an established star but correct me if wrong Cubby offerd the role to Clint Eastwood for DAF but Clint turned it down and this was after the Dollar films made him a world wide star.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Doesn't surprise me that Cavill tested very well....I'm guessing that EON really wanted to go a bit "out of the box" casting wise and Barbara Broccoli had Craig in mind from the start. Certainly worked out well for them. With regard to famous actors/stars being offered the Bond role after Connery, these stories are the thing of legend or Hollywood mythology. Apparently, Cubby was notorious for suggesting to big name stars that they should play Bond, it might have been his way of flattering them.
    HowardB wrote:
    In today's cinema/TV world actors seem to really put the time in to get accents right. I'm sure with some coaching and practice, Turner will be able to speak with the proper English accent .

Here we go again.... again.
    See the posts above for context, but in a nutshell-

The words "English" and "British" are not interchangeable.
    James Bond is British. That means an English accent doesn't disqualify an actor from being 007 but it also means that it isn't mandatory. Or does anyone really believe that Sean Connery has an English accent? He does however have a British one.... and so does James Bond. Who isn't English.
    Barbel wrote:
    James Bond is British. That means an English accent doesn't disqualify an actor from being 007 but it also means that it isn't mandatory. Or does anyone really believe that Sean Connery has an English accent? He does however have a British one.... and so does James Bond. Who isn't English.
    It's the old All people from Earth are from this galaxy but not all people from this galaxy are from Earth thing again... 8-)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I once read a scathing letter-to-the-editor in a Canadian cinema magazine which had run an article in which Ewan McGregor had been described as British. The letter writer was positively apoplectic by the description because McGregor is SCOTTISH (the letter writer's capitals). I didn't mind them running the letter but I was disappointed that the letter writer hadn't been pilloried by an editor's comment after it. Instead the magazine perpetuated the confusion by running the letter without correction or rebuttal.

And before someone asks, yes, it is true that all people who wear luminous green trainers are AJB members but not all AJB members wear luminous green trainers.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    In today's cinema/TV world actors seem to really put the time in to get accents right. I'm sure with some coaching and practice, Turner will be able to speak with the proper English accent .

Here we go again.... again.
    See the posts above for context, but in a nutshell-

Based on Bond's education (Eton College), shouldn't he speak RP? RP is an English accent. I think an English accent is mandatory (RP, not Estuary, Cockney, Liverpudlian, etc.), but Bond does not need to be English. Timothy Dalton, for instance is not English but speaks with an English accent because he was trained to as a classical actor. Sean Connery certainly didn't have an English accent, but at least it wasn't a full Edinburgh accent either. Though a Scottish accent of sorts could be argued to be appropriate for Bond. But anything other than RP or an Edinburgh accent I can't see as appropriate for Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I can't imagine giving a damn about Bond's accent, so long as it's not American. And I'm not even sure Cubby cared about that!
    Bond was only briefly at Eton before moving to Fettes. In Edinburgh.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Added to that would be Dartmouth plus service with the RN, in the UK military except in county regiments or Guards Officers you find a fairly neutral accent with slight regional hints, it is actually hard at times to work out where someone is from. I have Welsh friends who sound English, NI ones who sound English with Ulster terms, Scots who sound neutral etc.
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    Oops..looks like I opened a can of worms. My fault, I should have phrased it as "HE IS NOT AMERICAN!" :s
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
    DR NO-ah wrote:
    Oops..looks like I opened a can of worms. My fault, I should have phrased it as "HE IS NOT AMERICAN!" :s
    As an American I am unoffended. :))
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    HowardB wrote:
    Doesn't surprise me that Cavill tested very well....I'm guessing that EON really wanted to go a bit "out of the box" casting wise and Barbara Broccoli had Craig in mind from the start. Certainly worked out well for them. With regard to famous actors/stars being offered the Bond role after Connery, these stories are the thing of legend or Hollywood mythology. Apparently, Cubby was notorious for suggesting to big name stars that they should play Bond, it might have been his way of flattering them.

I believe Cavill was...23 when he tested(?!)...I remain convinced that he would be excellent---but I'm also convinced that Superman, Napoleon Solo, etc, et al., have taken him out of the equation. Pity, really, except that I do really enjoy his Superman B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    In my opinion, James Bond should speak with RP, wherever he comes from because his roots lie in the world of semi-privileged privately educated government types who, in Fleming's era, probably all spoke RP anyway.

If we are to see a new Bond, I would absolutely love to see whoever it is playing them, appear to come from that same sort of background. Daniel Craig's Bond seemed to skirt on the edge of that world, often dipping in and out, but I would like to see the next Bond definitely a bit more refined and eloquent.

As for who plays him, I am a big fan of Hiddleston for the role, but in the end, it wont really matter, as long as they capture the essence of the character.
  • OmegamanOmegaman Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    At the moment I'd say Tom Hiddleston or Aidan Turner, but I think it would be a good idea for the studio to know in which direction they want to take the franchise when it comes to casting. Aidan turner I think would be better suited for a more serious film whereas Tom Hiddleston could be a bit more flexible if they wanted a more lighter entertaining film. That's how I imagine it anyway. I'm more inclined to feel interested about Hiddleston who's a little less conventional whereas Aidan Turner fits all the cliche criteria. Either way I'd be interested in seeing either as Bond. I just don't want Idris, Hardy or Lewis getting the role.
This discussion has been closed.