Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I think its the "well written" aspect that may be the problem (and soundtrack - however hopefully Newman follows Mendes out the door)

The whole brother thing has really pissed a lot of people off judging by the Bond forums
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Even badly written Bond films make shed loads of money ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yeah thats why I think the Franchise is safe regardless :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Over the years I've sent them a load of my ideas for the films ......... So as long as they
    Still don't use any of them, They'll be safe enough ! {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

it's unlikely that the new guy will do anything close to SF or even SP numbers.

Why is this unlikely? SPECTRE was panned by critics (and many fans) and still made tons of money. What evidence do you have that the next Bond can't do the same, or better?

The biggest factor here, which you point out and I agree, is the budget. They need to keep it down. SPECTRE looked and felt bloated.

Spectre was riding the momentum of

a. The "gritty" Craig films that had proved to be popular with the public and the critics; and

b. Skyfall, the largest grossing Bond film in history as well as one of the best-reviewed.

The new guy will have neither of those things going for him.

In terms of Bond films, the reviews for Spectre were about average.

Can Broccoli and Wilson find a relative newcomer who reinvent the role of Bond in an interesting way, as Craig did?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    I thought it was generally the US that didnt take to SPECTRE and reviews were good in Europe.

Regardless if you like DC or not etc his last 2 films have generated 2 billion dollars worldwide combined and god knows how many extra millions in DVDs. I think he is going to be a very hard act to follow and no wonder EON want more films out of him in this second Golden era

Next Bond will have a lot to live up to but time will tell.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    The Bond franchise is not in any type of danger. Spectre may not have been a critical success and came up a bit short to SF but no one at EON was left ringing their hands and looking to sell off the Rolls. If Craig is in fact moving on then it probably has affected negotiations with future partners...not that they aren't lining up chomping at the bit but more from a leverage standpoint; as stated in a previous post, EON/MGM had a sweetheart deal with Sony, who were desperate to get a piece of Bond. Without getting into who would actually make the better Bond from an artistic standpoint (which is what counts to us as fans) I would guess that for potential new partners of EON/MGM, if Craig is leaving then they would probably feel a little better about things if the new Bond actor had some "bankability"....not necessarily a huge star but a recognizable name (think Roger or Pierce) who when the average filmgoer hears that name as Bond they think "Oh, yes I know him....I think saw him in.....he'd be a good Bond". Obviously, Fassbender fits that mold and (maybe a little too well $$$$ and he appears to be the longest of longshots but you never know) which brings us to our two most rumored suspects, Aidan Turner and Tom Hiddleston (I'm going to eliminate the latest "rumored" candidate, Jack Huston as he just signed to do a Crow reboot which probably means multiple films). Again, if you are looking at it from a strictly "bankability" and name recognition aspect, not who you think could make the better Bond, Tom Hiddleston gets the nod IMO (and I'm partially basing this on the fact that Hiddleston is much better known out of the UK than Turner). Just another way of looking at things as we sit here in Bond 25 limbo -{
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    This is bound to set things off again.

Daniel Craig Showtime Series ‘Purity’ Won’t Interfere With James Bond Return

“It depends when they do the next James Bond movie, but I don’t think it precludes him is the answer,” Showtime CEO David Nevins said at TCA on Thursday. “This will largely be completed during the course of 2017, depending how long they’re willing to wait and shoot the next Bond. There might be some breaks somewhere, but (production) will be fairly continuous.”
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,350Chief of Staff
    Hi Red_Snow, and welcome to AJB. You might want to have a read at http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45180/int … the-forum/ and if you like say hello at http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/wel … s/page/68/
    Red_Snow wrote:

“It depends when they do the next James Bond movie, but I don’t think it precludes him is the answer,” Showtime CEO David Nevins said at TCA on Thursday. “This will largely be completed during the course of 2017, depending how long they’re willing to wait and shoot the next Bond. There might be some breaks somewhere, but (production) will be fairly continuous.”

The flame of hope continues to burn.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Red_Snow wrote:

He's also doing another film during that time I believe.
    He's also doing another film during that time I believe.

Logan Lucky begins shooting 8/24/16 and he's reportedly doing Othello in the fall (actual dates are not available at this time). If Purity wraps shooting sometime in 2017 and EON is looking at a typical 3 year window between films, hypothetically Craig could be available for a 2018 shoot for November 2018 release even with allowing a couple of months for Craig to get in Bond shape. So we can say that until DC's calendar gets filled, he is mathematically still a possibility to return.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Gala Brand wrote:
    No other studio is going to do anything close to that deal even with Craig. Without Craig, it's hard to see any deal being made.

I agree with the first part but I assume the second part is just poorly worded as, of course, a deal will be made with or without DC on board...
    YNWA 97
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Gala Brand wrote:

it's unlikely that the new guy will do anything close to SF or even SP numbers.

Why is this unlikely? SPECTRE was panned by critics (and many fans) and still made tons of money.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I thought it was generally the US that didnt take to SPECTRE and reviews were good in Europe.

Yes - SPECTRE gained tremendous reviews in the UK press...
    YNWA 97
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Then why is it a message to EON? They know how to make money i.e last two films

Really???? Gosh! I did not know that. 8-)

Yes the Bond movie made money, but the trend line is not in the franchise's favor. The movie is getting more expensive to make, the US audience is waning, and worldwide the take was down about 20% from the previous movie. The fanboys can claim that Spectre did not do as well because of the star wars movie, but the truth is EON is running on empty when comes to the creative edge the franchise held at one time.

Eventually when they keep putting out the same movie every 3 to 4 years, the franchise will be in trouble. If there is a repeat of LTK, the franchise could be dead.

Disagree completely. Less people are going to the movies. That's industry wide and there are various reasons.

SF was very surprising when it hit 1bill $ no doubt. But fans should not expect that as the new benchmark. Ever. Spectre was a success financially. I think that the budget maybe should be cut down to 100-125 and focus on plot and story.

But to say the franchise is in trouble is just simply not true.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Eon are creatively challenged at the moment; no doubt about it..but Bond remains a reliable cash cow.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Two things that the series has been able to use to it's advantage over the decades is that audiences don't seem to have a problem accepting a new actor in the role and the second is when they get a few years of down time between actors changing so that the audience has time to readjust. I think this will benefit them once again this time as well. OHMSS ran into it's problem with Lazenby because the world was used to only Connery in the first films and could not imagine anyone else. Had the film came out in three or four years after YOLT there would not have been such a jolt. Having to get Connery back for DAF just confused the public further. Also, OHMSS went back to the early Bonds in storytelling - almost like a reboot given what they had just seen with TB and YOLT, which again added to the jolt in the series. Moore didn't have as much as a problem because everyone already knew him from The Saint and it was generally agreed he would make a good fit in the role, as well as the fact they went back to the slapstick, action packed scripting they did in DAF.

Personally, I think by the time the next film comes out and SP has become just another film in everyone's DVD collection, most will be eager to see it, even with a less bankable star like Turner as Bond (who I think they'll end up using). Craig was not as well know to world wide audiences when he stepped in (Craig who?), but because so much time had passed since DAD and since they were rebooting the whole series, everyone flocked to see it. Even most critics praised it and were glad EON went into the new direction. If the script is really good (and it has to be) and they get Turner, I for one will look forward to seeing it.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Logan Lucky begins shooting 8/24/16 and he's reportedly doing Othello in the fall (actual dates are not available at this time)

The 'Othello' run is actually much shorter than expected.

First Rehearsal: October 11, 2016
    First Preview: November 16, 2016
    Opening: December 5, 2016
    Closing: January 15, 2017
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
    As I have done more research online re Aidan Turner (who is relatively unknown in the States) it appears he is quite the current sex symbol in the UK and the Poldark series is very popular. I certainly can see him as Bond (Turner is one of those actors that a proper Bond haircut and wardrobe makes all the difference). He would also be the second under 6' tall Bond....which is fine by me as a vertically challenged individual myself (I would actually love to be as tall as DC or Turner). I still prefer Hiddleston if Craig doesn't return but I would not be upset if it turned out to be Turner.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I still prefer Hiddleston if Craig doesn't return but I would not be upset if it turned out to be Turner.

Agreed. I would be very happy with either. Both would be marketable, although for completely different reasons.
    It's really interesting how two actors like Turner and Hiddleston who are so completely different in looks and body type can be top contenders for the same iconic role.
    HowardB wrote:
    It's really interesting how two actors like Turner and Hiddleston who are so completely different in looks and body type can be top contenders for the same iconic role.

Indeed! :) A testimonial to the intricately-woven tapestry of the character...
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Agreed. Either Hiddleston or Turner could be good. However I fear/suspect that Babs will again go against type as it worked this time. I suspect that she really wants to make her mark by doing different from how Broccoli senior would have done it. All speculation of course. I feel that there probably aren't too many Daniel's out there so going against type increases risk...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    I think Babs favours the Tom Hardy/ Charlie Hunnam type
    Hiddleston, following Craig, would certainly shake things up---not 'against type,' per se, as it's veering back to a more traditional casting choice. But there's no doubt he would (will :v ) be a fresh take on the character.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Hiddleston, following Craig, would certainly shake things up---not 'against type,' per se, as it's veering back to a more traditional casting choice. But there's no doubt he would (will :v ) be a fresh take on the character.

In a way going back towards a more traditional take might be 'the new radical' Funny old post-post modern world eh' ;)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    edited August 2016
    No matter who is cast, I don't believe EON will veer far from the "grittier" aspects of the Craig films. IMO, they will probably (hopefully) move away from the personal/ biographical angle of those films. While Hiddleston and also Turner would be well suited to play upon the "Gentleman Spy" aspect of the character, I believe both are also well suited to the violent, cold blooded assassin part of the character, possibly to an even more jarring effect (especially under the direction of a Nicolas Winding Refn). Another name I'm surprised hasn't come up much is Charlie Hunnam. He's British and built like a 6'1" version of Craig.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    I don't think we'll ever see the Moore type of Bond again. Nor even the fantasy type of Bond movies which are fun to me. Just have to appreciate the ones we have.

With all the Tom Hiddleston rumors, I was thinking that the photos of him and his girlfriend were early promotions of her singing the next Bond song.
    "Better late than never."
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    No matter who is cast, I don't believe EON will veer far from the "grittier" aspects of the Craig films. IMO, they will probably (hopefully) move away from the personal/ biographical angle of those films. While Hiddleston and also Turner would be well suited to play upon the "Gentleman Spy" aspect of the character, I believe both are also well suited to the violent, cold blooded assassin part of the character, possibly to an even more jarring effect (especially under the direction of a Nicolas Winding Refn). Another name I'm surprised hasn't come up much is Charlie Hunnam. He's British and built like a 6'1" version of Craig.
    While Hunnam seems to be a good actor but I think his resemblance to Craig takes him out of the running, I feel EON will hire someone who doesn't look like the last actor to play Bond.
    While Hunnam seems to be a good actor but I think his resemblance to Craig takes him out of the running, I feel EON will hire someone who doesn't look like the last actor to play Bond.

That could very well be what keeps Hunnam out of the running. With Hiddleston, the differences are pretty obvious; and while Turner may be around the same height and very similar in build as Craig, his complexion, hair color and facial features are completely different.
This discussion has been closed.