Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, Bond is going great, you'd really want to see the films fail to try and twist the facts to
    Fit, a tale of falling audience etc. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    perdogg wrote:

It is projected to do $135 Million this weekend. I would call that a success.

Suicide Squad has been absolutely decimated by critics. And after a potentially strong opening weekend based solely on a couple of good trailers and empty hype, it's box office performance is very likely to tank. So I think the message should be don't make a crap film with an incoherent plot.

The movie has made $270M worldwide and $175M to make- that is called a success. I am sorry you don't like the movie but the movie is going to make a profit.

The message is don't make a SJW movie and be creative.

We don't know if it's going to make a profit at the box office. The production cost was $175 million and the marketing cost was probably about $100 million. To break even it will have to make something north of $550 million. So far, its made about $267 million.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    perdogg wrote:

It is projected to do $135 Million this weekend. I would call that a success.

Suicide Squad has been absolutely decimated by critics. And after a potentially strong opening weekend based solely on a couple of good trailers and empty hype, it's box office performance is very likely to tank. So I think the message should be don't make a crap film with an incoherent plot.

The movie has made $270M worldwide and $175M to make- that is called a success. I am sorry you don't like the movie but the movie is going to make a profit.

Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but what is an "SJW movie" ?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    edited August 2016
    "Social Justice Warrior." If you can believe it, there are people flinging it around as an epithet, as if the idea of someone wanting "social justice" is somehow villainous. It's angry trolls stamping their feet at women coming for their beloved childhood franchises (eg Ghostbusters) and videogames. They're grown men who send death threats to women and men who don't agree with them ("cucks" has become to go-to slur for the latter). It's a phrase flung around by literal human garbage.

What any of that has to do with Suicide Squad being a hit or not is beyond me. Probably because a lot of these same garbage people send death threats to critics who give DC movies bad reviews.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Agreed, Bond is going great, you'd really want to see the films fail to try and twist the facts to

A well informed friend who works in and understands the industry finance educated me recently that current profitability for Bond and other high profile releases is driven by IMAX screenings and high ticket prices,but that viewer numbers are down.There is current concern that Eon has allowed high salaries to spiral with a rumoured 10 Million to Judi for her video insert. I could not see anything like 300 million on screen in Spectre. Return against investment has been apparently poor. Likelihood is that the budget for 25 will be much more modest (no bad thing In my view)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I fully agree that not as many people are going to the cinema as once did, as in the 60s. Although
    With DVD, bluray and download sales, marketing and product placement there are many more ways
    For a film to make money.
    The rule of thumb I was always told was for a film to make money, you'd have to get three dollars
    Back for every dollar spent. One to pay for the production, one to cover all taxes and costs etc, and
    The third dollar was the profit to finance the next movie.
    As far as Bond goes, I think the films are as successful as ever, the producers are business people.
    If they weren't making money from Bond, then they wouldn't be making them. As for waining audiences
    SF was the biggest money making Bond ever (even with smaller audiences ) , I wish I could be that
    Unsuccessful. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:

Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but what is an "SJW movie" ?

I initially saw it as a "Sheriff J.W. movie". Perhaps a spin off franchise on our favorite Louisiana State police Sheriff?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Having just lived a week of extreme reality, I have less than nothing to say about 'SJW' movies 8-) 8-) 8-)

And now, kindly back onto the topic of the next James Bond actor...pretty please, with sugar on it.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:

A well informed friend who works in and understands the industry finance educated me recently that current profitability for Bond and other high profile releases is driven by IMAX screenings and high ticket prices,but that viewer numbers are down.There is current concern that Eon has allowed high salaries to spiral with a rumoured 10 Million to Judi for her video insert. I could not see anything like 300 million on screen in Spectre. Return against investment has been apparently poor. Likelihood is that the budget for 25 will be much more modest (no bad thing In my view)

With regards to the "rumoured 10 Million to Judi for her video insert" I would highly doubt that. Craig's salary (not incl points) was around 15 million for Skyfall. Now back to trying to suss out who might be the next Bond.

I saw on MI6 that Craig begins shooting Logan Lucky on 8/24/16 and is committed to doing Othello 12/5/16 - 1/15/17. The wildcard that I can't seem to get a handle on is the 20 episode limited series Purity in which Craig apparently has a supporting role. According to IMBD.com Purity is supposed to be broadcast sometime in 2017. It is possible that Craig could be shooting Purity in between Logan Lucky and Othello leaving him very available for a Bond 25. Even if Purity begins shooting after the Othello run, there would still be tons of time, especially with a most likely fall 2018 release date for Bond 25. So, just based upon Craig's schedule we can't rule him out for Bond 25 just yet. There is still hope. -{
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Having just lived a week of extreme reality, I have less than nothing to say about 'SJW' movies 8-) 8-) 8-)

And now, kindly back onto the topic of the next James Bond actor...pretty please, with sugar on it.

"SJW" or "Social Justice Warriors" is a new term for me, but something definitely from the fringes that is now coming up to the forefront of pop culture. The new, yet to be debuted Star Trek TV series has been touted by the producers to be progressive in the themes it will tackle (pretty much like the original series and Next Generation in their time), and even with Star Trek Beyond, there definitely was the mindset to be progressive by establishing the Sulu character as a gay man, to the dismay of George Takei! But to rope this back to Bond as Loeffs asked, hasn't Bond taken a SJW direction lately? A female M, a black Moneypenny, a Millennial Q...or does it all boil down to me being sore because they took away Bond's smoking habit?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    The more I think about the ending of Spectre, the more I think that we have seen the last of DC in the role. It is my opinion that the ending was allowed to be open ended in case he was going to come back.

Perhaps now the time is right for a soft reboot with a new actor. The old elements have been gently squeezed in (M's office), Moneypenny, Q, etc. so maybe it's time to take a slightly different route, going back to espionage and thriller type stories with no ludicrous family connections?

And I'm still hoping for Tom Hiddleston who, according to IMDB, has no projects pending after Thor and Kong.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    "Social Justice Warrior." If you can believe it, there are people flinging it around as an epithet, as if the idea of someone wanting "social justice" is somehow villainous. It's angry trolls stamping their feet at women coming for their beloved childhood franchises (eg Ghostbusters) and videogames. They're grown men who send death threats to women and men who don't agree with them ("cucks" has become to go-to slur for the latter). It's a phrase flung around by literal human garbage.

What any of that has to do with Suicide Squad being a hit or not is beyond me. Probably because a lot of these same garbage people send death threats to critics who give DC movies bad reviews.
    Not precisely. In some cases, it's also used to describe someone who is holier-than-thou in their attitude about whatever pet cause they have as well as for people who jump onto a social cause because its popular but who in their personal life exhibit less authenticity -- the people who say they're champions for diversity but refuse to date someone outside their race or who live in a segregated neighborhood, for example. Like limousine liberal, it means a hypocrite who does something more for their personal gratification than for the public good in this context.
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    The more I think about the ending of Spectre, the more I think that we have seen the last of DC in the role. It is my opinion that the ending was allowed to be open ended in case he was going to come back.

Perhaps now the time is right for a soft reboot with a new actor. The old elements have been gently squeezed in (M's office), Moneypenny, Q, etc. so maybe it's time to take a slightly different route, going back to espionage and thriller type stories with no ludicrous family connections?

And I'm still hoping for Tom Hiddleston who, according to IMDB, has no projects pending after Thor and Kong.
    I totally agree!
    DC is/was one of my favorite Bond's but the ending of SP seems the perfect way to say goodbye and drive off into the sunset (actually sunrise).
    Bring on TH!
    Gassy Man wrote:

Not precisely. In some cases, it's also used to describe someone who is holier-than-thou in their attitude about whatever pet cause they have as well as for people who jump onto a social cause because its popular but who in their personal life exhibit less authenticity -- the people who say they're champions for diversity but refuse to date someone outside their race or who live in a segregated neighborhood, for example. Like limousine liberal, it means a hypocrite who does something more for their personal gratification than for the public good in this context.

There are hypocrites and extremists on both sides, but the targeted harassment and death threats (notably, mostly aimed at women) seem to come from the anti-SJW gang. The people who unironically use the word "feminazi" like it's an actual thing. I agree the topic doesn't belong in here.

To respond to the previous page's point: On the Bond front, they've been chipping away at the archaic elements of the character since the beginning - Fleming's thoughts about race and homosexuality were quietly left on the page when Eon started making the films, and think back to Moore saying he didn't like the moments in his first two films where he hit a woman, or the way they dialed back 007's promiscuity at the height of the AIDS crisis during Dalton's run, or Brosnan's "filthy habit" line.
    IanT wrote:

I totally agree!
    DC is/was one of my favorite Bond's but the ending of SP seems the perfect way to say goodbye and drive off into the sunset (actually sunrise).
    Bring on TH!

Disagree in that they JUST got Craig his Blofeld. They really needed an epic face-off.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:

I totally agree!
    Bring on TH!

Disagree in that they JUST got Craig his Blofeld. They really needed an epic face-off.

SP wants us to believe that Blofeld was there through all four of Craig's films. So technically, after four films of battling each other they finally had their face-off.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    For what it's worth, Frederick Forysth says he has it on good account that Tom Hiddleston isn't the next Bond...
    [url]
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3728102/Tom-Hiddleston-never-don-007s-tuxedo-says-author-Frederick-Forsyth.html[/url]
    For what it's worth, Frederick Forysth says he has it on good account that Tom Hiddleston isn't the next Bond...
    [url]
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3728102/Tom-Hiddleston-never-don-007s-tuxedo-says-author-Frederick-Forsyth.html[/url]

Well I'm sure Mr. Forsyth is very well connected in the film industry and nothing would surprise me but lots of rumours get passed around in the Industry by people supposedly in the know that turn out to be false. EON is also never been shy about putting out misinformation especially when the media starts to get a bit too close to the truth before it suites EON.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    sorry to backtrack, but people are complaining about the Star Trek crew having "progressive" hiring practices?
    did these people not get the significance of Star Trek the first time round? that was what it was all about
    Kirk and Uhura shared the first interracial kiss on teevee, during a time when there still were lynchings
    that stuff was what was important to Rodenberry, the show was his vision of a positive future for the human race
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    In my humble opinion, the notion of 'Social Justice Warrior' films, etc., as examined on previous pages of this thread, should have a thread of its own...freeing this one up to actually discuss rumours etc about the next James Bond actor.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    In my humble opinion, the notion of 'Social Justice Warrior' films, etc., as examined on previous pages of this thread, should have a thread of its own...freeing this one up to actually discuss rumours etc about the next James Bond actor.

Agreed. I come to AJB to get away from these nonsense debates. Start your own thread if you need to sound off. I'll be sure not to click on it. 8-)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent

Agreed. I come to AJB to get away from these nonsense debates. Start your own thread if you need to sound off. I'll be sure not to click on it. 8-)
    Perhaps agreeing with an opinion already posted about how it's off topic just takes us further off topic (as does a post responding to the redundancy of it). :))
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    After rewatching Man From Uncle yesterday I would love Cavill to get the role although it's not going to happen, he was Cambells choice after all :)
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I'm still saying DC will do one more
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:

I have a gut feeling that as long as DC doesn't sign up for any more projects there is still a possibility that he is open to returning. I don't think money is the issue; I am sure Craig is being well paid for Logan Lucky and he has a producer credit on Purity but it's not up there with Bond money. I also don't see Craig as the type to hold EON over a barrell just because he can. I just wonder if it will all come down to EON delivering a script to Craig that is so good he just can't resist (a great director also wouldn't hurt).
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    If he does by the time he gets around to doing it he's going to look to Old I fear.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I fully agree that not as many people are going to the cinema as once did, as in the 60s. Although
    With DVD, bluray and download sales, marketing and product placement there are many more ways
    The rule of thumb I was always told was for a film to make money, you'd have to get three dollars
    Back for every dollar spent. One to pay for the production, one to cover all taxes and costs etc, and
    As far as Bond goes, I think the films are as successful as ever, the producers are business people.
    If they weren't making money from Bond, then they wouldn't be making them. As for waining audiences
    SF was the biggest money making Bond ever (even with smaller audiences ) , I wish I could be that
    Wasn't the budget for Skyfall the lowest of the Craig era?
    Jarvio wrote:
    If he does by the time he gets around to doing it he's going to look to Old I fear.

If Bond 25 is scheduled for a Fall 2018 release date my guess is Craig will look pretty much the same as he did in SPECTRE. Craggy, kind of leathery looking guys like Craig seem to settle into their looks and stay there for a long while. Charles Bronson was like that as was Paul Hogan (anybody remember him? :))) Craig is actually not old by today's action hero standards. Plus, the make-up and lighting people will take 10 years off of him with ease.

One of the things I like about Hiddleston is that he appears to be the type who will actually look better with a bit of maturity.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Wasn't the budget for Skyfall the lowest of the Craig era?

No, Casino Royale had by far the cheapest production budget at about $100 million in 2006 dollars and it was also Craig's best.

Funny that.
This discussion has been closed.