Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited August 2016
    Gala Brand wrote:
    I see the new Bourne film did $60 million at the box office this weekend.

I'll need to check it out to see what Bond 25 will look like.

Saw Jason Bourne today. Decent enough movie, but basically the same as the last Bourne film. They appear to be running out of ideas. Nice to see Matt Damon return. SPECTRE did $70 million by the way. Maybe that's why they had Matt Damon all pumped up to look like Daniel Craig. :)) -{ Reviews have been very mixed on the new Bourne film, some really like it and others not at all.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised it opened so well--much better than the others. Maybe it's because there was a nine-year hiatus since the last Bourne film with Matt Damon in it.

It's also surprising that the critics don't like it very much. The first three films were very popular with the critics. Maybe they're starting to realize every Bourne film is just like the others.

Given the low rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I may wait until it's on Amazon.
    It's not a bad film IMO and without giving away any spoilers, maybe the next one could potentially be a bit more interesting.
    When I saw it today, it was accompanied by a trailer for the new Jack Reacher film. I actually enjoyed the first Reacher film and thought Tom Cruise did a more than decent job despite being completely physically miscast as the 6'4" Eastwood-like Reacher of the novels. What really stood out in the trailer is that the small (5'7") Cruise who does manage to always appear hyper fit and formidable appeared off physically....his face much rounder; almost like it was puffed up with botox or something and the rest of him just didn't appear as fit as usual and you could really tell he is a 5'7" guy in the trailer. Just felt something was off. Damon at 45 on the other hand has aged well but he is quite hulking and physically imposing these days as Bourne but it certainly worked in the film. Now if we just had some real news as to who will be Bond, that would be nice.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent

"Meanwhile, there are still bad feelings between Bond bosses and the most recent star Daniel Craig, who famously said he “would rather break this glass and slit my wrists” than play 007 again. Another source added, “Producers think that ungracious comment, right before the release of ‘Spectre,’ cost them tens of millions at the box office. They’re ready to forget about Daniel.”

This bit could not have been much bigger bullsh*t if you ask me...
    Still though, the Hiddleston rumors are piling up and he seems to be the most likely candidate at the moment.
    I would really prefer Aidan Turner, or even Tom Hardy.. But that's just me...
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage

"Meanwhile, there are still bad feelings between Bond bosses and the most recent star Daniel Craig, who famously said he “would rather break this glass and slit my wrists” than play 007 again. Another source added, “Producers think that ungracious comment, right before the release of ‘Spectre,’ cost them tens of millions at the box office. They’re ready to forget about Daniel.”

This bit could not have been much bigger bullsh*t if you ask me...
    Still though, the Hiddleston rumors are piling up and he seems to be the most likely candidate at the moment.
    I would really prefer Aidan Turner, or even Tom Hardy.. But that's just me...

That's so typical of internet nonsense. One day they are reporting that EON offered Craig 68 million for two more films and the next day EON can't wait to be rid of him. If there is no news, we'll just make some up.
  • MQuinn1982MQuinn1982 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Ultimately the next James Bond should not be black, no more than he should be Japanese, I don't understand why people get behind the proposal in the first place because the essence of James Bond is to stay as true as possible to Ian Fleming's fictional creation. If we start chipping away at that what will be left? an unrecognisable character. Why not make bond gay as well, or bi-sexual, would be practical as a spy maybe! gradually he should be a non smoker and non drinker so the role model qualities are there, perhaps vegan?

Should he not drive a Nissan Leaf to encourage and inspire instead of a gas guzzling V12 6.0 litre Aston Martin?

I hear people compare a black bond to a black president of the USA, this isn't about denying people opportunities, but the notion is as absurd as having Charles Dickens Oliver Twist as a poor Indian boy from the ghetto of Calcutta? Use Charles Dickens as a inspiration to create a film like Slum Dog Millionaire. Use James Bond to create another branch of secret agent like Mission impossible or Bourne, don't attack a legacy.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    MQuinn1982 wrote:
    Ultimately the next James Bond should not be black, no more than he should be Japanese, I don't understand why people get behind the proposal in the first place because the essence of James Bond is to stay as true as possible to Ian Fleming's fictional creation. If we start chipping away at that what will be left? an unrecognisable character. Why not make bond gay as well, or bi-sexual, would be practical as a spy maybe! gradually he should be a non smoker and non drinker so the role model qualities are there, perhaps vegan?

Should he not drive a Nissan Leaf to encourage and inspire instead of a gas guzzling V12 6.0 litre Aston Martin?

I hear people compare a black bond to a black president of the USA, this isn't about denying people opportunities, but the notion is as absurd as having Charles Dickens Oliver Twist as a poor Indian boy from the ghetto of Calcutta? Use Charles Dickens as a inspiration to create a film like Slum Dog Millionaire. Use James Bond to create another branch of secret agent like Mission impossible or Bourne, don't attack a legacy.

(First off, welcome aboard!)
    Couldn't agree more with you! I actually made a video very similar to this subject a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZWdNAXv7rM

I'm happy to see more fans share my opinion!
    Although I'm very convinced now that EON will defenitely not be going down this path. Fans may like to see the next Bond be black, female, homosexual or whatever other PC direction you can think of, but I think EON will at least go for another hetero sexual caucasian like it's supposed to be!
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    MQuinn1982 wrote:

One of the elements about this current era is the notion that iconic characters like Bond need to be changed to suit the times. I see it as a lack of appreciation to the character in a sense. It's almost like rebooting Star Trek and having Spock no longer be a Vulcan but a human or an E.T. like alien instead.
    Seems like those who support 007 being female, gay, etc, probably don't really follow the series or character.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    MQuinn1982 wrote:
    ... gradually he should be a non smoker and non drinker so the role model qualities are there, perhaps vegan?
    Should he not drive a Nissan Leaf to encourage and inspire instead of a gas guzzling V12 6.0 litre Aston Martin? ....
    I would rather see a Bond of colour than this, his identity as a conspicuous consumer is more important than details of ancestry or whatnot ... his mission is to make the world safe for consumerism!
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    MQuinn1982 wrote:
    ... gradually he should be a non smoker and non drinker so the role model qualities are there, perhaps vegan?
    Should he not drive a Nissan Leaf to encourage and inspire instead of a gas guzzling V12 6.0 litre Aston Martin? ....
    I would rather see a Bond of colour than this, his identity as a conspicuous consumer is more important than details of ancestry or whatnot ... his mission is to make the world safe for consumerism!

Bond played by a black man is fine with me as long as the actor makes it work. It's when we start talking about a gay Bond, or a female Bond, or a vegan Nissan Leaf-driving Bond, that the truly essentially aspects of the character would be stripped away.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    In my opinion the Daniel Craig movies have actually made it less logical to cast a black (or japanese, eskimo etc) actor in the role. The recent movies has centered on his childhood and background, so now the average moviegoer knows Bond is the son of a Scotish nobleman and a Swiss woman.

That said, I would love to see a spy franchise centered on a woman or a black man - just don't call it James (or Jane) Bond.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    They could cover all of this if they did a TV show centred around other 00 agents. You could have a black agent, female agent etc. You could have James Bond cameo in a few episodes, and they can have cameos in the films. Everybody wins!
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    I remember before the casting of Daniel Craig there were rumours the new James Bond would be presented to the press on one of teh Invincible class aircraft carriers of the RN. That didn't happen, obviously, but it was a grand idea. I read that the new RN aircraft carrier "Queen Elisabeth" will be commishoned next year, If a new actor will play Bond in the next movie, that seems like perfect timing. The RN would love some good press for their new flagship, and EON can hardly wish for a more spectacular presentation of their new star. Imagine the HMS Queen Elisabeth just off the coast of England. The Bond theme blaring on the sound system as the new Bond actor (and his co-stars?) are lifted on the elevator used by the aircraft up to the waiting world press on the flight deck :007)

199272-computer-generated-image-of-queen-elizabeth-class-aircraft-carrier.jpg
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Would be cool though think not due to be in operation until 2020.

About time we had a aircraft carrier. Need to defend my TF ties from the Argies :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    HMS Queen Elisabeth is planned for commissioning in 2017. Ship commissioning is the act or ceremony of placing a ship in active service, but the initial operating capability expected in 2020. I honestly not sure what that means - perhaps that the ship will be launched and on-board training will start in 2017, but it won't be combat ready until 2020?
    Anyway, it does sound to me like the ship will be ready to launch a new Bond actor next year.
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    The success of "suicide squad" and the failure of SJW Ghostbuster 2016 and Star Trek Beyond should send a clear message to EON. If they have trouble interpreting the message I would be willing to explain it.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
    Is it a bit early to call Suicide Squad a success?

I guess Star Trek didnt fair too well (ive been out the film loop lately)
    perdogg wrote:
    The success of "suicide squad" and the failure of SJW Ghostbuster 2016 and Star Trek Beyond should send a clear message to EON. If they have trouble interpreting the message I would be willing to explain it.

........ what is the message? ?:)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Bond needs to travel in a space ship to fight some super villains :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes, now I understand. But .... no ghosts for Bond?
    I saw the new Ghostbusters movie and enjoyed it a lot.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I wonder how EON and co took Spectre's inability to top Skyfall financially or critically, even though it was obviously massively successful in its own right but they put so much emphasis on it being "Skyfall x10".
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I wonder how EON and co took Spectre's inability to top Skyfall financially or critically, even though it was obviously massively successful in its own right but they put so much emphasis on it being "Skyfall x10".

I guess we can chalk that up to the studio's marketing machinery. It's not unknown for studios to throw their own children under the bus so to speak, e.g., past installments within the same franchise, to laud the newest chapter coming out. The newest Bond actor of the moment, directors and even Michael Wilson are known for doing that in interviews.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    welshboy78 wrote:

It is projected to do $135 Million this weekend. I would call that a success.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    Yeah but what's the message?
    superado wrote:

I guess we can chalk that up to the studio's marketing machinery. It's not unknown for studios to throw their own children under the bus so to speak, e.g., past installments within the same franchise, to laud the newest chapter coming out. The newest Bond actor of the moment, directors and even Michael Wilson are known for doing that in interviews.

I feel like even in interviews, though they might have been saying "we want to make a bigger movie" they acknowledged that it likely wasn't going to repeat Skyfall's billion. 50h anniversary, etc.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Yeah but what's the message?
    superado wrote:

I feel like even in interviews, though they might have been saying "we want to make a bigger movie" they acknowledged that it likely wasn't going to repeat Skyfall's billion. 50h anniversary, etc.

If I'm thinking about the same "message" you're referring to, which was pre-SP, wasn't it bringing back spectacle and scale of the tentpole Bond movies (GF, TB, YOLT, TSWLM and MR comes to mind)? Or, were these interviews in reference to Bond 25? If I recall, the producers acknowledged the success of the personal depth in the first three Craig movies (seemingly, the Batman Begins approach of SF is the "it" factor that clinched its likeability with audiences that broke box office records), but that they recognized that direction had run its course and therefore wanted to make Bond fun again, which I think they succeeded in doing with SP.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Suicide Squad has been absolutely decimated by critics. And after a potentially strong opening weekend based solely on a couple of good trailers and empty hype, it's box office performance is very likely to tank. So I think the message should be don't make a crap film with an incoherent plot.
    perdogg wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Suicide Squad has been absolutely decimated by critics. And after a potentially strong opening weekend based solely on a couple of good trailers and empty hype, it's box office performance is very likely to tank. So I think the message should be don't make a crap film with an incoherent plot.

The movie has made $270M worldwide and $175M to make- that is called a success. I am sorry you don't like the movie but the movie is going to make a profit.

The message is don't make a SJW movie and be creative.
    Then why is it a message to EON? They know how to make money i.e last two films
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Then why is it a message to EON? They know how to make money i.e last two films

Really???? Gosh! I did not know that. 8-)

Yes the Bond movie made money, but the trend line is not in the franchise's favor. The movie is getting more expensive to make, the US audience is waning, and worldwide the take was down about 20% from the previous movie. The fanboys can claim that Spectre did not do as well because of the star wars movie, but the truth is EON is running on empty when comes to the creative edge the franchise held at one time.

Eventually when they keep putting out the same movie every 3 to 4 years, the franchise will be in trouble. If there is a repeat of LTK, the franchise could be dead.
    Glad to educate you :))

Dont worry Bond will survive regardless
This discussion has been closed.