Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Shadowfall wrote:
    Don't think 'swiftgate' would affect Hiddlestons chances of Bond too much. With 24 hour news Eon kind of need an actor who has more of a presence in that world than Craig who actively shuns it.

Well, if you believe---as I and others here do---that Tom was actually cast sometime ago, it seems highly unlikely that Barbara would summon him to her office and say: "WHAT!?! You're dating Taylor Swift!? You're fired!" and then tear up his contract :))
    :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Not that this is that great of a comparison, but in '87 when Daylights was promoted, there were articles galore on Tim and Vanessa Redgrave's romance. I don't think the Swift/Tom fling really matters as far as him being cast. Unless of course, he's going around behaving like an idiot, getting arrested or whatever and damaging the reputation of the franchise. A franchise he isn't even part of, yet.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Hiddleston seems to be well liked in the Industry and the Press/Media. He also appears to be a good interview and chat show guest; congenial, cooperative, good sport, good sense of humor and doesn't take himself seriously.....more like Pierce Brosnan or Roger Moore than Connery in that vein. From a promotional standpoint, Hiddleston would be a producer's dream plus he speaks French and Itralian which will go over very well in those markets.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Shadowfall wrote:
    Don't think 'swiftgate' would affect Hiddlestons chances of Bond too much. With 24 hour news Eon kind of need an actor who has more of a presence in that world than Craig who actively shuns it.

Well, if you believe---as I and others here do---that Tom was actually cast sometime ago, it seems highly unlikely that Barbara would summon him to her office and say: "WHAT!?! You're dating Taylor Swift!? You're fired!" and then tear up his contract :))

What makes you say Tom was cast a while ago? Sure hope that isn't the case...
    If Tom HAS to be casted I would prefer it to be Tom Hardy more!
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
    To be honest I'd be happy with Aiden Turner or TH, I've lost a bit of respect for TH purely down to his doe eyed puppy dog behaviour with miss swift, having said that I would always reserve judgement untill after seeing bond 25, as I recall a lot of people had a lot of egg on their face after the DC debates and humble pie was feasted upon :D
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    What makes you say Tom was cast a while ago? Sure hope that isn't the case...
    If Tom HAS to be casted I would prefer it to be Tom Hardy more!

Well...brace yourself ;) AJB has a member 'on the ground' near where these events are unfolding...in this very thread, it was revealed B-) Of course, everyone is free to believe or disbelieve, but I have no reason to disbelieve. If someone other than Tom Hiddleston is announced as Bond, I will be highly surprised---if not shocked.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    To be honest I'd be happy with Aiden Turner or TH, I've lost a bit of respect for TH purely down to his doe eyed puppy dog behaviour with miss swift, having said that I would always reserve judgement untill after seeing bond 25, as I recall a lot of people had a lot of egg on their face after the DC debates and humble pie was feasted upon :D

I was one of those humble pie eating sceptics. I still have some 'issues' but agree that he has been a terrific Bond.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent

A marketing and PR executive told me she thought the only reason why Hiddleston and Swift are together is for publicity to help Hiddleston with Bond. She thought them being together was only a positive thing as far as his chances as Bond are concerned.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

A marketing and PR executive told me she thought the only reason why Hiddleston and Swift are together is for publicity to help Hiddleston with Bond. She thought them being together was only a positive thing as far as his chances as Bond are concerned.

I can understand TH doing this for publicity but don't see what Swift gets out of it since she is one of the worlds biggest mega stars already (who is always stalked by the media anyhow)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I don't think it's negative, I'm just not very keen on Taylor Swift or hiddlestons apparent lovestruckness. If anything I can see the whole thing bringing new people to the bond world. My 9year old daughter loved hiddleston ( from playing loki and warhorse) and is also a Taylor Swift fan, she would be itching to see a bond film with th in.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    If the Heat Street claim is accurate:
    “the race is still wide open.”

This means there is no certainty Hiddleston or Turner will be the favourites to get the roie.

I feel that due to the internet an actor can promote themselves too much for the part which may go against them. Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston seem too eager/desperate for the role and that may not enhance their chances. Some actor never asked about Bond, perhaps that's the guy to get the role!
    bonded123 wrote:
    If the Heat Street claim is accurate:
    “the race is still wide open.”

This means there is no certainty Hiddleston or Turner will be the favourites to get the roie.

I feel that due to the internet an actor can promote themselves too much for the part which may go against them. Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston seem too eager/desperate for the role and that may not enhance their chances. Some actor never asked about Bond, perhaps that's the guy to get the role!

The "bytes" and bits of quotes that get out on the internet (in addition to the outright fabrications and falsehoods) should always be taken with a large grain of salt. So many young British actors who fit the description are asked about Bond and whatever off the cuff response they have is twisted, turned, taken out of context and ran with on the internet. I really don't see that Hiddleston has promoted himself for the role other than allegedley stating at one point that he would like to be Bond if presented with the opportunity....what is he supposed to say.... "I would rather slash my wrists than play Bond" :)) :o .Until EON makes an official announcement, we really have no idea what's going on.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wonder if BBC news know something ?
    Their little bit of footage, to kill 30 seconds or so between programmes. Used to always
    Show Daniel Craig at the SF premier for their entertainment section. Now though they are
    Showing Tom Hiddleston in his Tuxedo ....... ? Could this be a subtle hint ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ShadowfallShadowfall Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    A Bond who can handle the media and that side of taking on the bond mantle is integral moving forward. Craig never really made his peace with being a household name. They need someone, like Hiddleston, who can weather the storm, so to speak.
    Craig seemed to generally be a good soldier and professional when it came to promoting the Bond films. In interviews he tended to run hot and cold and some of what he said didn't always come across well in print or in the proper context unless you actually heard the audio of an interview especially when profanity was involved. An advantage that Hiddleston has in a PR sense is that he tends to be very engaging and more open with both the media and general public; he also has plenty of hobbies and interests which make good fodder for interviews (he plays piano and guitar, has a rep as a good dancer, speaks several languages) and handles questions about his private life tactfully. I think the key to Hiddleston being a good , if not great contemporary Bond is if he has the ability to be chameleon-like in his approach to the role; to be able to go from smooth and refined to a coldblooded killer in the same scene. I'm sure that Christian Bale was being flippant when asked about playing Bond when he said he "already played a serial killer in American Psycho" but I actually think he was on to something. Bond in more ways than one might think mirrors the duality of many serial killers. He appears on the surface to lead a relatively normal life while the body count piles up for Queen and Country.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Martin Campbell said of Pierce Brosnsn that he had that chameleon-like gift, to go from the light stuff to the dark very quickly - such as the scenes when Bond and Wai-Lin escape from the Carver Media Group building in Vietnam and, post-helicopter stunt, Bond trails her to her hideout. The humour in Bond pretending to light the thug's cigarette, then the fight, and the dialogue after show a lightning-quick change of mood and tempo.

I've a feeling Hiddleston would be like that - in fact his Bond might have more in common with Brozzer than with Craig...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Hiddleston will act the script he's given, has anyone seen DC in sword of honour or archangel? He is decidedly foppish in those roles, completely different to his portrayal of Bond. Hiddleston is a good actor, sure he hams it up as loki, but movie villains are always hammy, I'm confident if he is the chosen one most of us will be happy with the resultant film.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    Maybe he can do theme song too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9DgMtEiZlE
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Yes. Considerably!
    ichaice wrote:
    I heard this yesterday, apparently babs is working on 2 movies and hoping DC will have a clear diary in 2018.
    edited July 2016
    That is a nothing story cobbled together from bits and pieces that have been out there for months. Anybody who frequents the internet or just peruses AJB could have put that together in 10 minutes. I think it's pretty clear that EON and all others involved in the Bond franchise would like Craig to come back for at least one more. If Craig was actually coming back, I would think EON would be forthright and announce it....unless they are just trying to milk the free publicity and keep Bond in the news cycle. If things are still undecided then it will continue to be radio silence. Even if a new Bond has been chosen, I don't think EON will make that announcement until sometime in 2017. A three year gap in films is pretty much the standard these days for Bond films. Craig or no Craig, it would have been a 2018 release date. I would not be surprised if the theory of Hiddleston being on-deck if Craig does not return is the reality of the situation with Hiddleston receiving a nice payout if not needed. If Craig's very large shoes need to be filled, unless Turner or someone else really hits it out of the park in a screentest, the producers may weigh things toward Hiddleston because he has more name recognition and bankability which could resonate a bit with the public and ease the blow of Craig not returning.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Hiddleston looks very Bond in this trailer to be honest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46cMJv5_bU
    MrZareba wrote:
    Hiddleston looks very Bond in this trailer to be honest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46cMJv5_bU

That looks like a bit of fun, as well! :)
    Hiddleston definitely has a "presence" without even doing much in the trailer....has the look of a dangerous man of action. I can picture Hiddleston saying, "The name is Bond, James Bond". The Kong film is a re-boot and takes place in 1971 and its planned sequel will be set in the present and be a remake/re-imagination of King Kong Vs Godzilla. Hiddleston plays a Captain Conrad, apparently a pilot.
    HowardB wrote:
    Hiddleston definitely has a "presence" without even doing much in the trailer....has the look of a dangerous man of action. I can picture Hiddleston saying, "The name is Bond, James Bond". The Kong film is a re-boot and takes place in 1971 and its planned sequel will be set in the present and be a remake/re-imagination of King Kong Vs Godzilla. Hiddleston plays a Captain Conrad, apparently a pilot.

Agree about his presence, most definitely. I'm actually pretty excited by the prospect of him as Bond. And they've pretty much already sold me a ticket for Skull Island, haha :)
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Martin Campbell said of Pierce Brosnsn that he had that chameleon-like gift, to go from the light stuff to the dark very quickly - such as the scenes when Bond and Wai-Lin escape from the Carver Media Group building in Vietnam and, post-helicopter stunt, Bond trails her to her hideout. The humour in Bond pretending to light the thug's cigarette, then the fight, and the dialogue after show a lightning-quick change of mood and tempo.

I've a feeling Hiddleston would be like that - in fact his Bond might have more in common with Brozzer than with Craig...

Let's hope so!!! :)
    Jag wrote:

Let's hope so!!! :)

Unfortunately, the scripts did not fully take advantage of that ability. Brosnan was always pushing for darker but EON was not willing to go to that level at the time, especially after Dalton and LTK. An example of Brosnan at his best IMO is in TND when he shoots the assassin, Dr. Kaufman. Otherwise, too many times Bond's acts of violence in the Brosnan films were reduced to video game-like shootouts (which was not PB's fault ). I think there could potentially be some similarities between Hiddleston and Brosnan's approach to Bond but as stated previously, the script will drive the performance. My guess is EON will allow Hiddleston to be more cold and cruel than Brosnan generally was especially in light of what had been established in the Craig films.
    ^ +1 {[]
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I finally just watched Aidan Turner in And Then There Were None, and he seemed absolutely perfect for Bond in that. I can easily picture him as the character Fleming wrote, both looks and personality. Perhaps he's too obvious a choice for Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    I find it very interesting how the PB Bond films have such a look and feel unto themselves. The body count that PB racked up in his four Bond films might be higher than Connery, Moore and Dalton combined but the films never felt as "violent" as the Connery films which had a significantly lower body count. Dalton in LTK is really an outlier because the film is so brutally violent compared to most other Bonds. It will be interesting if there is a new Bond actor for 25 how the series will change.
This discussion has been closed.