Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Argh! I wanted answers :#
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    Dan will be back
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    As I suspected there is nothing whatsoever going on regarding B25. For those who weren't there for it. welcome to 1991.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,340MI6 Agent
    It's interesting to watch the news cycle. The Telegraph has nothing but pics, so they run with "he's dyed his hair, he looks set to leave 007."

But news sites with video and quotes are leaning hard toward "This is not a man who sounds ready to hang it up."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,746MI6 Agent
    As much as Craig may have made some comments right after SPECTRE that would lead one to believe he is not coming back, he does have a real friendship with the Bond producers (Barbara) and there is a real possibility that there was a previous agreement for Craig to do Bond 25. This can work both ways of course. Barbara, being Craig's good friend, may not want to force DC into coming back or into any sort of litigious situation if he really doesn't want to return. Craig on the other hand, may be of a mind that Barbara took a huge gamble and went out on the limb to believe in him and cast him as Bond making him wealthy and giving him a career that as good an actor as Craig is, would not have happened without Bond and feels it would be wrong to leave the role prematurely and putting EON in a difficult situation. It's all quite gray isn't it. The compromise (as stated by others previously) might be that all parties have agreed to allow Craig first right of refusal on Bond 25 pending a script and choice of directors with Hiddleston waiting in the wings. The only big hole in that scenario would be a Craig script (which would more than likely continue the SPECTRE saga) would most likely be quite different than a script written with Hiddleston or someone else as Bond (most likely a stand alone adventure). Who knows? We are still left as blind mice scurrying about for crumbs of information as to what the future is. :#
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I honestly think given how cryptic and evasive DC is about his future as 007, he's probably towing
    the eon line. "Keep 'em guessing" ;) until an official announcement is made. I think he's done with Bond
    but either is contracted or as a favour to the producers, is keeping us guessing. :D

I think that's probably about it.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Piss or get off the pot.
    Or wait to see if you can happily do justice to the script and story for bond 25. Honestly if you were a consciousness actor would you commit to a project you may not be happy doing?

I could buy that if it were not for the script travesties that were QOS and Spectre which were flawed in major ways that were apparent before shooting began. If it were a question of waiting to see what the story arc and early script looked like there were a number of ways he could have played that. For the record I do think that Daniel is a conscientious actor though.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    ToTheRight wrote:
    As I suspected there is nothing whatsoever going on regarding B25. For those who weren't there for it. welcome to 1991.

What a year. Can't wait for Sonic The Hedgehog 1 to come out for the Megadrive
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    Based on what I've read from that interview, I'd now put my money on Craig for one more. Maybe someone who was actually there got a different sense.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    lotus wrote:
    Dan will be back

I hope you are right.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    lotus wrote:
    Dan will be back

I've been having that feeling for a long time myself. I think the chance of him returning is much higher than the chance him being replaced for Bond 25.
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    He didn't say "yes, I will return" which suggests his previous comment about returning 'for the money' still stands. Time Out Magazine interview:
    Can you imagine doing another Bond movie?

‘Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists. No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.’

You want to move on from Bond for good?

‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the f*** knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’

There was no sense from the New York interview he has a burning desire to return. I think he would have articulated that desire but he didn't so my guess is he is happy for Bond 25 to be put on hold and if he can secure a good fee he'll consider it. But the downside is any delay will mean he's getting that bit older and younger candidates will be in contention. A young actor will be paid a fraction of Craig's fee and it's naive to think Barbara Broccoli - a businesswoman - will not take salary demands into consideration. I don't think Barbara Brococli's strong friendship with Daniel Craig is any guarantee he will return. Things can and do change. A younger actor, paid vastly less money, might seem a more attractive proposition to MGM, perhaps?
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    From the snippets I've read I think he will be back but what do I know.
    Yes. Considerably!
    He said he would "Terribly miss it if he left".

Couple this with the rumours that he is still the producer's number 1 choice, and Naomi Harris wanting him back.

So IMO it's quite likely that he will return. I definitely hope so.

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Piss or get off the pot.
    Or wait to see if you can happily do justice to the script and story for bond 25. Honestly if you were a consciousness actor would you commit to a project you may not be happy doing?

I could buy that if it were not for the script travesties that were QOS and Spectre which were flawed in major ways that were apparent before shooting began. If it were a question of waiting to see what the story arc and early script looked like there were a number of ways he could have played that. For the record I do think that Daniel is a conscientious actor though.
    Qos was affected by the writers strike, but still in my mind had a decent enough story, and sp suffered at the hands of the Sony hackers and mendes moving in the direction he wanted.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited October 2016
    "as far as I'm concerned I've got the best job in the world and I'll keep doing it as long as I still get a kick out of it" "I'd miss it terribly" Daniel Craig last night.
    I think dc will be back for one more, you simply can not go on comments he made regarding making another, when they were asked straight after finishing sp and phrased in that manner. If you asked most marathon runners on the finish line if they'd like to run another straight away you'd get a similar response..... No matter how much they loved running.
    I honestly think there has been some sort of disagreement between dc and eon or mendes and dc is waiting for a script.
    I mean come on give the guy a break, this is the man who read all the novels and worked hard to be true in a modern sense to Flemings character, and who in an interview when asked why his bond wasn't comical anymore answerd "have you read the books? Did you roll around laughing at them?" and who also said "I don't do shtick, I can't do shtick, we need to distance bond from Austin powers" and who then gets sp's script and story arc, I bet he was delighted about that.
    "babs I've got the script for 24"
    "oh yes Daniel, what do think?"
    " what the f++k is this brother sh+t? I mean have you fu++ING seen Austin powers? Ffs this isn't my bond! "
    " sorry Daniel but Sam says..."
    "I don't give a shiny sh+t what that little t++t says... I'll do it but I'm not happy! And you tell Sam fuc+king mendes I'm going to kick his arse for this"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Perhaps like Le Chiffre, DC is playing " Hard Ball " ? ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    The general census formed afterwards by those of us who actually attended the interview seemed to veer in the direction that's hes done, just considering his overall lack of genuine care and excitement towards the subject. Saying that "we're just tired" and have "moved on".
    Interesting, thanks for the information walther p99 -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes thanks Walter p99, some clarity is most welcome, it's hard to gauge mood or context from the written word.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Here's a few of the many pictures I took.
    dc1.png
    dc2.png
    dc3.png
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    I really appreciate the sense of those who were present in the audience. Too often it feels like we are poring over tabloid interviews looking for the DaVinci Code. I had hoped that Craig would return. I still hope he returns. But more frustrating than not knowing has been the winks and nods among some here that they know for certain that Craig won't be back and that Hiddleston definitely has the job.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I think many of you might get a kick out of this newest vlog of the DC Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8-VRpglnc&feature=youtu.be
    Daniel_Craig_Interview_036.jpg
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    The general census formed afterwards by those of us who actually attended the interview seemed to veer in the direction that's hes done, just considering his overall lack of genuine care and excitement towards the subject. Saying that "we're just tired" and have "moved on".

Thanks for that. I amend my earlier post.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 676MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Qos was affected by the writers strike, but still in my mind had a decent enough story, and sp suffered at the hands of the Sony hackers and mendes moving in the direction he wanted.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    "as far as I'm concerned I've got the best job in the world and I'll keep doing it as long as I still get a kick out of it" "I'd miss it terribly" Daniel Craig last night.
    I think dc will be back for one more, you simply can not go on comments he made regarding making another, when they were asked straight after finishing sp and phrased in that manner. If you asked most marathon runners on the finish line if they'd like to run another straight away you'd get a similar response..... No matter how much they loved running.
    I honestly think there has been some sort of disagreement between dc and eon or mendes and dc is waiting for a script.
    I mean come on give the guy a break, this is the man who read all the novels and worked hard to be true in a modern sense to Flemings character, and who in an interview when asked why his bond wasn't comical anymore answerd "have you read the books? Did you roll around laughing at them?" and who also said "I don't do shtick, I can't do shtick, we need to distance bond from Austin powers" and who then gets sp's script and story arc, I bet he was delighted about that.
    "babs I've got the script for 24"
    "oh yes Daniel, what do think?"
    " what the f++k is this brother sh+t? I mean have you fu++ING seen Austin powers? Ffs this isn't my bond! "
    " sorry Daniel but Sam says..."
    "I don't give a shiny sh+t what that little t++t says... I'll do it but I'm not happy! And you tell Sam fuc+king mendes I'm going to kick his arse for this"

I imagine Daniel Craig's reaction to the whole brother aspect of the story could have been like Jesus Quintana's reaction to Walter's date change....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3KYEcWRI1k

jesus_pederass_lebowski_lg.jpg
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    I like Tom Hiddleston.

I think he's a talented and intelligent actor, and way more handsome and charming than I am. When he is on-screen, I watch him. He is a bonafide movie star.

That said, I could kick his ass.

I don't know that really. I am exaggerating.

The Night Manager didn't persuade me though. Sorry.

Here's the deal: the James Bond actors I have liked best have had a physical menace that any of us bar flies can recognize. We use the bar stool measurement: could he kick my ass? Connery? Damn right! Craig? Pretty sure! Lazenby? You know....I am kind of thinking he could kill me.

But Moore in his prime? No. (And I'm not a meathead MMA guy, just someone who sizes another man up and wonders about his strength).
    Brosnan? Sorry, Pierce, but no frigging way.
    And this one hurts. Dalton? I think I'd win on points.

Inevitably some will see this as a macho, self-aggrandizing post. But really it isn't! Probably, all of the above actors could stamp me into the dirt. Besides, Roger Moore (circa 1974) and I will never go mano a mano. Alas.

What I am trying to get at is how important it is that the actor who plays Bond should be physically threatening — again, in my estimation.

"Women want to be with him, men want to be him."

Of course, I'd like to be half as handsome as Moore, Brosnan, Dalton.

But the character of James Bond works best — again in my estimation — when he comes off as a killer.

We'll see if Babs agrees.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    If Craig returns, is this thread still relevant? We could have a much different pool of applicants if the next Bond actor casting was pushed back another 3 or 4 years.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    If Craig returns, is this thread still relevant? We could have a much different pool of applicants if the next Bond actor casting was pushed back another 3 or 4 years.
    I'd say even more considering the current longer gaps. I'd almost be willing to bet it will be another 6-8 years before a Bond film starring a new actor will actually be in cinemas. Pointless to speculate on another actor now.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent

Not to mention that in response to a question regarding the end of SPECTRE, he said that it was the end.

But as much as I hate to admit it, I think he'll probably be back. :#
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
    This is the end, ... Did he hold his breath and count to ten ;)
This discussion has been closed.