Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:

I probably wouldn't distribute small indy films either - the return is much riskier than Bond. Bond is hot property, and has a large audience, so people flock to cinemas as both hardcore fans, general public and people who treat Bond as a family event, because it's lasted generations. And considering no Bond film has flopped, there is a lessened risk of distributing a Bond film without some kind of return.

"Me Before You" has made over $200 million on a $20 million production budget, making it a big winner.

The point isn't that MGM wasn't willing to take a risk. They took a risk by making the film. The point is that they don't have the resources to distribute even a small film that will be seen on far fewer screens than Bond 25.

MGM now has to have a distribution partner on all its films.

It also doesn't have the resources ($175-275 million production budget $80-120 million marketing and advertising budget) to make Bond 25. On the previous Bond films it got Sony to pay half the production budget and the entire M&A budget in exchange for 1/4 or MGM's 1/2. It won't find anybody to do that deal now.

You paint a pretty dismal picture....as if Bond films are done. I think what is more realistic if you are correct about the state of MGM is that they will just need to be willing to accept a deal with a distributor that is much more lucrative to the new partner in exchange for the needed financial support. I really wish that a studio like Warners would just buy out MGM's share of Bond. I still believe that the issue of a new third party will work itself out. Truth be told, compared to some of the legal wrangles of the past, the distributor issue and who plays Bond are not likely going to delay production on Bond 25. We're just all suffering from post SPECTRE withdrawal that is being exacerbated tenfold by the current state of no real news limbo. If there was no will Craig return mystery and it had been announced shortly after SPECTRE that he had signed for one or two more we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    I dont think theres much point in worrying about it ,at the end of each bond film it always says "bond will be back"and he always does return.
    April next year we will all know the score .
    Im gonna chill out and watch my 24 blue ray bond films and play the sound tracks on vinyl too obviously not at the same time lol.
    All will get sorted.....it always does.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Why April? Is that some research you've done to come to April or some other reason?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Exacltly. First you say that you say only what you think and believe in but you're giving us a certain month. Basing on what exactly? Because as far as I'm concerned the Hiddleston theory at least has legs, it's based on an insider information (whether it's reliable or not that's another story but it's definitely not from the Sun and it's most definitely not just another guy's opinion).
    So reading today, naomie Harris is certain dc will return and he is now the bookies odds on favourite to return. It's funny how the phrase return is used so much as, as far as I'm concerned he has never quit! All we've had from him is an overpublised comment which has been massively taken out of context
    When did he stop being the incumbent bond? I'm starring to get the feeling dc and Barbara broccoli have just delighted in watching the world get carried away with all this.
    Wouldn't it be something if after dc does 25 he says "I was always doing one more, I was contracted to, we just took a bit of a break to get the right script"
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Guess its been major free publicity for EON inbetween films where they are on down time. They must love it really as would be so easy to quash the tabloid crap with a few words if it bugged them!

Also imagine they have a smirk on their face with Bourne kind of bombing at the box office!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Yeah I thought that, haven't seen the Bourne film yet, but I guess it's kind of run its course, whereas bond is just intrinsically stitched into cultural fabric.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Also imagine they have a smirk on their face with Bourne kind of bombing at the box office!

As much as I hate to admit it, Jason Bourne was not a bomb by any means. It doesn't need to make Bond money to be a success. It made a lot of money compared to the budget and did better than all the other Bourne films except The Bourne Ultimatum (but it made close to it).
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    less then half the takings of SPECTRE I guess = half the audience

I was expecting better for sure, maybe Skyfall and SPECTRE has simply set the bar very high in this genre (I actually like the Bourne films by the way, not seen the latest yet)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Matt S wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

As much as I hate to admit it, Jason Bourne was not a bomb by any means. It doesn't need to make Bond money to be a success. It made a lot of money compared to the budget and did better than all the other Bourne films except The Bourne Ultimatum (but it made close to it).
    Not a massive Bourne fan then matt?
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

I was expecting better for sure, maybe Skyfall and SPECTRE has simply set the bar very high in this genre (I actually like the Bourne films by the way, not seen the latest yet)

Just re watch Ultimatum mate, its essentially the same film! I like Bourne and enjoyed the latest as it had some good action but it is the same story as before. If they move forward how i think they will after the ending then Bourne will have become Bond.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    I liked the first 3 Damon Bourne films, have not seen the other two. Thought they were very good, not as good as Bond but still very well made and entertaining.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    welshguy34 wrote:
    I liked the first 3 Damon Bourne films, have not seen the other two. Thought they were very good, not as good as Bond but still very well made and entertaining.

Skip the last two. The last one was seriously utter crap.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    The last Bourne film was not bad by any means. It was just a rehash of the last two...same old, same old. The only difference is Matt Damon is older and was pumped up bigger than DC in CR. I guess as long as Damon is up for it, they will keep making them. Just to go off topic a bit more; saw The Accountant today with Ben Affleck. Not bad at all. The whole Autism/Savant angle made it interesting and Affleck and the rest of the cast were good. Jon Bernthal was excellent as usual. Bernthal would make a great henchman, merc, or even CIA man in a Bond film.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The last Bourne film was not bad by any means. It was just a rehash of the last two...same old, same old. The only difference is Matt Damon is older and was pumped up bigger than DC in CR. I guess as long as Damon is up for it, they will keep making them. Just to go off topic a bit more; saw The Accountant today with Ben Affleck. Not bad at all. The whole Autism/Savant angle made it interesting and Affleck and the rest of the cast were good. Jon Bernthal was excellent as usual. Bernthal would make a great henchman, merc, or even CIA man in a Bond film.
    Yeah I don't really like the Bourne series because I don't think Matt Damon is that great of a leading man and all the films to me are exactly the same thing over and over again.
    welshboy78 wrote:

By Bourne standards it was a big success. We can't expect everything to be like Bond.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Not a massive Bourne fan then matt?

Not really. I only saw the first three and didn't have any interest in seeing the one without Matt Damon or the new one. I just don't find the Bourne character or the story all that relatable. But I don't find Craig's Bond relatable either.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Not really. I only saw the first three and didn't have any interest in seeing the one without Matt Damon or the new one. I just don't find the Bourne character or the story all that relatable. But I don't find Craig's Bond relatable either.

I can only relate to Superhero films as I too had superpowers until my therapist took them away. :D :s -{
    Obviously bond is my favourite. I do like bourne and all the others but i dont relate to any .at the end of the day its fictional entertainment.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Just waiting for tabloids to say Max Irons is new bookies favourite and that he has been in secret talks with BB :))
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Had no idea! Only said it as he is in latest itv drama Tutankhamen and that's usually enough for tabloids :)
    Daniel Craig has a back.

100% guaranteed.
    Yes i know
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    lotus wrote:
    Daniel Craig has a back.

100% guaranteed.
    Yes i know

What is the provenance of these two statements ?
    IanT wrote:
    lotus wrote:
    Daniel Craig has a back.

100% guaranteed.
    Yes i know

Just agreeing that he has a back
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    lotus wrote:
    Daniel Craig has a back.

100% guaranteed.
    Yes i know

You can see it clearly when he opens his hotel room door to Moneypenny in Skyfall.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    lotus wrote:
    Daniel Craig has a back.

100% guaranteed.
    Yes i know

Proof:

cl042-orlebar-brown-swimming-shorts-skyfall-james-bond.jpg
    ^ I don't buy it. That's CGI. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    This could end up as another " Dolly's Braces" event. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    IanT wrote:
    lotus wrote:
    Yes i know

Proof:

cl042-orlebar-brown-swimming-shorts-skyfall-james-bond.jpg
    Yes i know that
    Hmm its official he does have a back, in fact in the first shot he's half of a beast with two backs

20161020_190942.jpg

And just to satisfy Matt S his back wears Ill fitting suits too!

20161020_190919.jpg
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    If the OP thread title is "Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc" - is there some kind of rumour that the next Bond won't have a back? :#
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
This discussion has been closed.