Euro 2016

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Brilliant play by England, same old result. Not bad, but whenever the other team get the ball in extra time it looks dangerous. England can, at times, do flair and enthusiasm. But what they never do is cruelty. And cruelty is what you need when you are 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Just one naive question: Why starting with 3 seperate teams (Wales, England and Scotland) instead of joining forces and put them together into one.

Because they are three different countries you moronic cockwomble.

If we all united to form one Great Britain team, then we'd keep winning everything.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    England can, at times, do flair and enthusiasm. But what they never do is cruelty.

13-year old me begs to differ. Scoring 5 against Oliver Kahn with 3 goals from Michael Owen alone, tell me what that is if not cruelty?
    Asp9mm wrote:

If we all united to form one Great Britain team, then we'd keep winning everything.

Maybe if by "all" you meant the Empire in its 1922 borders. Otherwise not likely :))
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Just one naive question: Why starting with 3 seperate teams (Wales, England and Scotland) instead of joining forces and put them together into one.

I understand that noone wants Ireland :D :D :D but ...

It's a bit like Bavaria plays against Hamburg

Apart from Gareth Bale none of the other teams have a player that would get into the 'combined 11'...from England's point of view.

Well anybody would be better than Joe Hart :v

I'd have him instead of Simon Mignolet any day !

Steering off the subject slightly...I see my lot are busy trying to hoover up all the latest talent to come out of Germany...
    YNWA 97
    England can, at times, do flair and enthusiasm. But what they never do is cruelty.

13-year old me begs to differ. Scoring 5 against Oliver Kahn with 3 goals from Michael Owen alone, tell me what that is if not cruelty?

I think you'll find that was Germany 1, Liverpool 5 :D

Even Heskey scored :))
    YNWA 97
    Oh, and same old, same old from England...you KNEW the equaliser was coming...
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Yep you could sense it was going to happen

Not sure why Woy didn't go for the kill earlier as Russia were no threat at all. Settling for 1-0 is always asking for trouble. I'm sure Vardy, Sturridge and co would have taken one of those chances today and why was Kane taking corners?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Too many squandered chances by England, at this level you need to make them count or pay the penalty...good equaliser by Russia.

Whilst Marseille burns and heads are getting smashed in, Film Four are showing The Football Factory!

Great result for Wales, though I think England will raise their game this Thursday.

Also did anyone catch Rio Ferdinand admit to England looking for a draw in their opening tournament game when he played? Or did I mis-understand him?!?

Quite telling about England's tournament mentality I thought... :#
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited June 2016
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Because they are three different countries you moronic cockwomble.

So the PL is an international tournament which is - like all international tournaments in Europe - organised by UEFA?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited June 2016
    Sir Miles wrote:

Steering off the subject slightly...I see my lot are busy trying to hoover up all the latest talent to come out of Germany...

Yes, at some point they must learn how not to play successfully :D and what happens when a league is totally sold out to investors :v

Sir Miles - how much are you usually paying for a ticket?

edited June 2016
    Russia yesterday where playing a totally pathetic and old- fashioned football - a bit like Greece 2004 :D .

If I would be an England supporter, I would worry a lot about the obvious lack of fitness after minute 60 though. That way, you can't win such a tournament.

Sterling was a joy to watch!!

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    So England didn't win OH THERES A SUPRISE all the time MR Exciting (WOY) rattles on about how good his England are ,oh we beat this ,we beat that ,yes but it was Estonia ,it was the Isle of Wight,it was the CO-OP first 11 ,Now we play a half decent team Russia ,and it all goes pear shaped .As ive said before ive nothing against England (the players) its the way England ie the FA is run ,its run by fools ,and people who havnt got a clue ,"OK Gentleman we need a new boss!" well there this guy called Greg ,he used to run the BBC so he should be the right man , I just hope England get embarrassingly sent home ,so all these twits in charge of the FA get sacked ,then we can get new people in who actually know about football and then we can be a great team again .Its no wonder the England fans want to fight all the time ,at least they can win that :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    My band were playing in a bar last night, supposed to be on at 9pm. Had to wait till some football game was over before we could start- probably the one mentioned above.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    My band were playing in a bar last night, supposed to be on at 9pm. Had to wait till some football game was over before we could start- probably the one mentioned above.

Was you playing in Scotland Barbel? perhaps the Scots wanted a good laugh before watching a great band .

a couple of pints of heavy ,a good laugh ,and some great music ,sounds like a good time .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Also did anyone catch Rio Ferdinand admit to England looking for a draw in their opening tournament game when he played? Or did I mis-understand him?!?

He clearly meant it as a joke as they all laughed...
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Yes, at some point they must learn how not to play successfully :D and what happens when a league is totally sold out to investors :v

So you are saying that Klopp is a bad coach ? :o :v

Tickets ! Way too expensive X-(

After 15 years on the waiting list I have finally been offered a season ticket for Anfield - right at the time where I can't afford one :# cheapest is around £700 and dearest is about £900 ! A single match ticket is about £48 X-(
    There is SO much money in football and yet the fans are STILL being ripped off with match day costs....the German model (as usual) is so much better/fairer -{
    I believe the German teams use the acronym SEM when English clubs try to buy their players...Stupid English Money :s
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    Russia yesterday where playing a totally pathetic and old- fashioned football - a bit like Greece 2004 :D .

If I would be an England supporter, I would worry a lot about the obvious lack of fitness after minute 60 though. That way, you can't win such a tournament.

Sterling was a joy to watch!!

Russia had about four of their better players missing as well !

I didn't think lack of fitness was that bad...although I thought the substitutions should have been used better...

I wouldn't have Sterling anywhere near the starting eleven ! He still has no 'end product'...he's all about pace, but just runs down 'dead ends'...Milner should have started and I'd have brought Vardy on...his pace would have been invaluable during the last half hour...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I believe the German teams use the acronym SEM when English clubs try to buy their players...Stupid English Money :s

So, you are proud about that the PL hoovers off every german talent ( for only one reason: $$$$) and on the other hand complain that everything is so expensive? ?:) 8-)

Don't get me wrong, I'd follow the money too and the PL is quite competitive but it's not really something that you should be proud of.

Proud of, we can be of our support system for young talents, which has been started in 2004 and proud of we are about the fact that the Bundesliga is quite competitive compared wih the PL and the spanish teams, which are horribly in debt - for a fraction of he PL budget.

And proud of we can be for Bayern, who are incredibly successfully - have no debt, have paid off their stadium entirely and are able to attract many first-grade players and trainers because they have been successfully and well- managed in the last 3 decades without horribly ripping their fans off {[]

If there isn't at least one Dortmund fan who will cry about evil Bayern (who dare sign players from other clubs! :o ) then this forum is officially not part of the internet! :))
    I am native from Stuttgart, so will stay quiet :#

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

After 15 years on the waiting list I have finally been offered a season ticket for Anfield - right at the time where I can't afford one :# cheapest is around £700 and dearest is about £900 ! A single match ticket is about £48 X-(
    There is SO much money in football and yet the fans are STILL being ripped off with match day costs....the German model (as usual) is so much better/fairer -{

Isnt Arsenal double that or something crazy? £££££
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Isnt Arsenal double that or something crazy? £££££

Yes...and Chelsea aren't far behind either...
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

So, you are proud about that the PL hoovers off every german talent ( for only one reason: $$$$) and on the other hand complain that everything is so expensive? ?:) 8-)

Don't get me wrong, I'd follow the money too and the PL is quite competitive but it's not really something that you should be proud of.

Not really sure where you get the idea that I'm 'proud' of that ?:) English clubs have to overpay - and by quite some margin - even for 'average' players...all because of the TV money. I'd rather the TV money was spent on better stadia, cheaper ticket prices and nurturing young players...
    Higgins wrote:
    Proud of, we can be of our support system for young talents, which has been started in 2004 and proud of we are about the fact that the Bundesliga is quite competitive compared wih the PL and the spanish teams, which are horribly in debt - for a fraction of he PL budget.

When you say the "Bundesliga is quite competitive" I'm assuming you don't mean the league itself ? The Bundesliga is a one horse race - two at best, the rest are nowhere.
    Germany is also FAR larger than England - so should produce FAR more players at grassroots level -{
    Higgins wrote:
    And proud of we can be for Bayern, who are incredibly successfully - have no debt, have paid off their stadium entirely and are able to attract many first-grade players and trainers because they have been successfully and well- managed in the last 3 decades without horribly ripping their fans off {[]

A bit like Man City then - the richest club in the world, who are picking off anyone they like (including the coach) from Bayern :007)
    Liverpool also have 'taken' at least three of Bayern's 'backroom' staff :o

Also...what about all the corruption at Bayern ? Haven't they had people from the club sent to jail ?
    YNWA 97
    Uli Hoeneß went to jail for tax evasion but this was in relation to his personal income from selling sausages (yes) and stock market investments. It was never alleged let alone proven that Bayern had anything to do with it.

And as crazy as it sounds a lot of people are very happy that Pep is leaving. Among other things he blamed the medical team for his own failures not once but twice, making them leave the club. Possibly some others gladly packed their suitcases as well after events like these.
    edited June 2016
    Sir Miles wrote:

A bit like Man City then - the richest club in the world, who are picking off anyone they like (including the coach) from Bayern :007)
    Liverpool also have 'taken' at least three of Bayern's 'backroom' staff :o

No - totally different. It's all self-earned money. They don't have a Sheik or other big investor. And they have ZERO debt!!

Adidas, Allianz and Audi each own 8,33%, The remaining 75% are still in Club Hands.
    And the cheapest tickets are at GBP 12,--
    Sir Miles wrote:
    When you say the "Bundesliga is quite competitive" I'm assuming you don't mean the league itself ? The Bundesliga is a one horse race - two at best, the rest are nowhere.
    Germany is also FAR larger than England - so should produce FAR more players at grassroots level ajb007/martini

Germany's population is 25% more than the UK but what counts is how you educate young talents. And there is a big difference to the UK. We're speaking of the National Teams and not teams full of legionaries: When was the last title for England, Wales or Scotland? :v

And you underestimate teams like Mönchengladbach, Leverkusen, Schalke and Wolfsburg . This year Championship was a pretty close one between Munich and Dortmund btw.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Also...what about all the corruption at Bayern ? Haven't they had people from the club sent to jail ?

Ornithologist has already replied to it. No corruption on Club Level.

Man City actually turned a profit this year :D

Admittedly after writing off nearly £500m in investment :))

But they are still the richest club in the world !

I think the 'German way' is FAR superior to the English...the cost of tickets is just one way in which the Germans are years ahead -{
    And I don't foresee a 'home nation' winning anything soon ! England should, at least, reach the semi-finals of major competitions - but we lack the 'mentality' needed when pulling on the England shirt - that and the fact that far too many average foreign players 'clog up the system' X-(

I don't dismiss the teams you mentioned - you could also add Hoffenheim into that mix...but, in reality, the Bundesliga is a one horse race...Bayern just buy all the best players from Dortmund (as they have again this year), and Dortmund buy what's left :))
    Being honest - your title race wasn't ever THAT close...Bayern won at a canter...it was the fact that Pep announced he was leaving (worst kept secret this year !) that held Bayern back and let Dortmund get close...remember that Dortmund (close 2nd in Bundesliga) was beaten by Liverpool (a distant 8th in the Premier League) - you should hang your heads in shame :v :D

No corruption at club level ? apologies...just at National level then...cough...cough...Beckenbauer...cough...cough... ;)
    YNWA 97
    Well there is a difference between receiving corruption and paying bribes :v to get the 2006 Cup in Germany. Like a former FIFA official said: " If here was no corruption, every tournament would be held in Germany" - so consequently they had to help a little cough cough.

My point was that the Bundesliga is quite competitive compared to other l leagues - particularly we see new talents every year that soon show up in the National team.

Our 4th Bundesliga team is not worse than the PL 4th without the SEM

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:

Was you playing in Scotland Barbel? perhaps the Scots wanted a good laugh before watching a great band .

a couple of pints of heavy ,a good laugh ,and some great music ,sounds like a good time .

Yes, AS, in a town on the west coast called Troon. It was a great gig, and they've booked us for 3 more before Christmas.
    Higgins wrote:
    Well there is a difference between receiving corruption and paying bribes :v to get the 2006 Cup in Germany. Like a former FIFA official said: " If here was no corruption, every tournament would be held in Germany" - so consequently they had to help a little cough cough.

My point was that the Bundesliga is quite competitive compared to other l leagues - particularly we see new talents every year that soon show up in the National team.

Our 4th Bundesliga team is not worse than the PL 4th without the SEM

But you only got the 2006 tournament BECAUSE you paid bribes :D

There is a massive drop off in quality the further down the Bundesliga you go...hence your second best team getting a spanking from our eighth best :))

Unfortunately for German teams, nobody is interested in watching German football - that's why we have SEM ! :))
    It's just a pity we put it all in players pockets and not into the grassroots of the game :#
    YNWA 97
    I don't recall that it was a spanking and there was a certain Klopp factor in that game.

The roots for all those young talents ( and may I remind at we won WOrld Cup 2 years ago :v ) is the Bundesliga and that was my point.