The Race for the Tory Leadership and Premiership [Johnson the new PM]

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Italy and also France are looking decidedly dodgy at the moment, which is sad to say the least. Those EU glowing embers are starting to catch alight
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think technically Greece, Italy,Spain, Portugal, France and Ireland are Broke !
    No money, in need of a pay day loan. So a big hand to the generous tax payers
    Of Germany. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    Yeah and if we do help they insult us for dictatorship and being undemocratic 8-)
    Because we are only " helping the banks".
    There may be some awakening in the UK about Italy.
    Could be that he owners of the banks in trouble will have to pay - and that'd include some London City Boys ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Italy and also France are looking decidedly dodgy at the moment, which is sad to say the least. Those EU glowing embers are starting to catch alight

Well, they hope hat the Union will help because if they'd be on their own - they'd be in far more trouble

This is terrible news, expecting the Bankers to pay for their mistakes ?
    What is the world coming to !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :)) :))

On a more serious note, there are reports hat italian consumers where forced to by bank stakes when they wanted a credit. So in the end, the normal people are getting screwed again :#

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    They do tour the country ( all parts of the kingdom) I remember Sir John Major in our
    Local shopping Centre :)) Nigel Farage was always in some pub or other. During the
    Referendum all the Politicians were all over the place.

But not during the contest to become party leaders, right?

As TP says, the leader of a party is chosen by it's members ,not by the public. The public then get their say during a general election and then it's all guns blazing with potential MP's and party leaders turning up all over the shop ... Mainly Northern Working Men's Clubs and factories to show they understand the common man. 8-)

Labour changed the rules for their party and anyone could vote for £3. This has led to Jeremy Corbiyn being elected as there was no monitoring about who was voting and hence has led to the Labour Party being in a mess.

Theresa May being appointed Prime Minister is actually a very unusual. It's only because the Party in Government has had a change of leadership and that is why the public have had no say but we rely on our democratically elected Conservative MP's to make the call for us.

I think our way is fairer than the US. Technically, anyone can become Prime Minister and work their way up through their chosen parties. In America you need so much money to run that it is not really open to huge number of people. It's only a select few. It may be more exciting but actually, not very democratic .
    Btw, the mechansim that the bank owners have to pay for banks in trouble and not the taxpayer

- is a EU rule :p

UK government fought hardly against it!

I loved watching Cameron in a " Working class area" taking off his tie and rolling up his
    Sleeves, to show he's just an ordinary bloke, and how many High Viz jackets must George
    Osbourne own by now :D
    Poor old Ed trying to eat a bacon sandwich. It's always funny watching Politicians try to
    Be " Normal" :))

The government was right to Fight the EU on these anti banking rules, sounds too much like
    " Pinko, Commie, Liberal" talk to me. :D
    Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Well, they hope hat the Union will help because if they'd be on their own - they'd be in far more trouble
    Well there is an argument that it is being members of the EU that has caused the trouble.
    From the very start of the EU, and then the rolling out of the single currency, "experts" warned of the pigs ( Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain) I don't know who coined that phrase probably the same twit who called reading, writing and arithmetic the 3 r's!! Anyway, the experts warned that the economic structure of those countries was not beneficial in the long term to the EU or the euro, and would infact damage the chances of the European projects success, it's becoming more obvious this is true. Which is unfortunate, as Higgins points out so well it is the ordinary people who end up suffering, not the elite who profit from EU membership and have a vested interest in seeing it continue. Well done Higgins for pointing this out {[]
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

This comes from the fact that the entire EU threatened the UK with 'tales of woe' - which Austria continued with yesterday - and how the UK would crash & burn without the EU...

8-) Oh, please.
    Noone threatened the UK.

Everyone threatened the UK - especially with tales of 'we won't do business with you, you'll be at the back of the queue' - and these 'experts' change their opinions with the wind 8-) :))
    Higgins wrote:
    People said what will happen in their expert opinion* - the UK (minus Scotland) should finally stop that paranoid perception of the EU.

This "Crash and Burn" talk is just repeating what the now gone populists said.Does not make it any better though

* and most things will really happen over the years to come - unfortunately.

It's not over!

And now the Euro is heading towards crisis ! The EU is crumbling - it needs a radical overhaul, but the EU ministers will hang on to the death as they make too much money !
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Everyone threatened the UK - especially with tales of 'we won't do business with you, you'll be at the back of the queue' - and these 'experts' change their opinions with the wind 8-) :))

:)) :)) :)) Must be great being british :v
    Slamming and blaming the EU for everything - being egoist and reckless to the other Union members for almost 40 years but then getting very thin-skinned and defensive when someonepoints out the consequences by shouting "threat" :)) :)) :))

You'll see that at the end of the negotiations, the UK will be in a worse position than before: EU membership fees, no rebate, compliance to most of the EU laws.

The "end of the line" statement was from Obama. The EU are trying to find a trade deal with the US (TTIP) for years - turns out that the US insist of getting 99% of their position thru.

Good luck for trying the same thing from an isolated position with them. :D You'll realize how small you really are as a business partner for them very soon ;)

Sir Miles wrote:
    And now the Euro is heading towards crisis ! The EU is crumbling - it needs a radical overhaul, but the EU ministers will hang on to the death as they make too much money !

The EUro is in a constant crisis named debts!
    All mentioned countries rose their debts after they gotten the Euro because the interest rates where so cheap.
    Instead of bringing their budgets in order, they consumed it and after the 2008 crisis, they realize that their are almost broke.

Not sure what the EU has to do with it. They benefitted dramatically from the free trade and would be in far worse shape without the EU.

Chriscoop wrote:
    From the very start of the EU, and then the rolling out of the single currency, "experts" warned of the pigs ( Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain) I don't know who coined that phrase probably the same twit who called reading, writing and arithmetic the 3 r's!! Anyway, the experts warned that the economic structure of those countries was not beneficial in the long term to the EU or the euro, and would infact damage the chances of the European projects success, it's becoming more obvious this is true. Which is unfortunate, as Higgins points out so well it is the ordinary people who end up suffering, not the elite who profit from EU membership and have a vested interest in seeing it continue. Well done Higgins for pointing this out {[]

Sorry, you are mixing up the EU and the Euro.

EU: These countries benefitted a lot from the common market.

EURO: There may be different opinions, but at the beginning, they benefitted A LOT from having the Euro. Before Euro, their currencies have been weak, inflation was crazy and the interest rates for state debts have been in the double-digits.

After they've gotten the Euro, they even rose their debts because interest rates where cheap and at the end of the 2008 crisis this all fell down because their banks crashed.

Now one can object, that by devaluating the own currency (Lira, Peseta, etc) they could get more competitve and they can't do that with the Euro - but imports for necessary things like oil, steel, etc would skyrocket for weak currencies and result in even more inflations.

So just saying that they are in trouble because they have the Euro is far too simple - reality is much more complex ;)

There are no easy replies like some odd populists are telling us.

Oh I do love a spirited debate with you Higgins :D
    I'm not mixing up the EU and euro but they are connected, any country who's biggest industry is tourism was essentially deemed to be in the long term a risky member for the EU, with Italy most of their manufacturing industry lies in the north, Milan, Turin and genoa mostly, and those areas are benefitted by member status but the vast majority of Italians don't live there and don't benefit, tourism isn't helped by the EU and adopting the euro didn't do their biggest industry tourism any favours, prices went up overnight making it less attractive as a destination. After tourism fiat and their fashion houses are the next biggest industries. The problem with tourism is its predominantly still a cash rich business, a lot of that cash never hits the banks.
    Sorry, Chriscoop. It's not that easy as you imply ;)

The Euro crisis is a bank crisis and a crisis of state debt!

And the EU leaders failed dramatically - under the negative leadership from the UK (remember 1.27) - to let banks pay partly for this and to make sure that this will never happen again.

The banks are in crisis due to bad debt and cash flow, so far the debts are being claimed as domestic. I've also read that the italian government are considering a non EU sanctioned bailout programme. The biggest problem the italian government has is collecting cumulative taxes as a whole nation. Italy suffers from a huge devision, ie people in venice see problems in Rome as a Rome problem not a national one. Quite simply the whole Italian economic culture does not suit EU membership as such. It's becoming another example of one size does not fit all I'm afraid. The EU could still be a great thing if it becomes more flexible and reforms in such a way.
    Leaving the EU won't solve those traditional discrepancies between the North and the South ( eg. Spain and Italy)

The EU becoming more flexible and fast??
    This from a country that blocked and slowed down almost everything in the past with one vote vs 27??

And if the EU disregarded those countries that are against, what would you say will happen?

"We don't own our countries, the Eu dictate everything!"
    "Eu is undemocratic!"
    "Eu is a soulless monster"

See, it's easy to criticize, but be careful for what you wish.

But I agree, the EU must be faster and more flexible,but that will consequently mean more EU and less national souvereinity for each single member.

Like I say, it's not easy in a very complicated world and the apparent easy replies are not!

Nkt complicated at all .....

Britain Right ( as always) ......... EU wrong ( as always) :p :))
    Yep, Sir Miles will agree :))

The issue isn't how the UK destroyed the EU, the issue is how the EU benefits the majority not the minority surely? I'm not convinced that Europe as a whole is conducive to every member state benefitting, unless of course every member devolves economic power to Brussels and they have total economic power, then they can distribute the european wealth equally.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    The issue isn't how the UK destroyed the EU.

Oh, that's still an issue!

Nothing matters now. Nanny May is in charge,.... everthing will be alright ! :D
    Nothing matters now. Nanny May is in charge,.... everthing will be alright ! :D
    Hmm yes maybe she has a spoonful of sugar to help Higgins swallow those sour grapes...... {:)
    Again, if the EU are really serious in changing and getting faster - this will mean that there will be no Extrawurst for the UK in the common market negotiations.

If the negotiations will be too tolerable - people here will really get fed up by a rotten compromise.
    Of course moaners will pull the "why punish us" card again, but you can't be a menmber without paying the fees

And if you want free trafic of money and goods, this must mean free movement of people ;)

Higgins wrote:
    Again, if the EU are really serious in changing and getting faster - this will mean that there will be no Extrawurst for the UK in the common market negotiations.

If the negotiations will be too tolerable - people here will really get fed up by a rotten compromise.
    Of course moaners will pull the "why punish us" card again, but you can't be a menmber without paying the fees

And if you want free trafic of money and goods, this must mean free movement of people ;)
    You're the author of all my pain :p
    Good! :v
    You deserve it :D

I honestly do :))
    It's hard to compete with you Higgins you're such a good mass debater -{
    And I am right ;)

Only time will tell on that, I am interested to see how the UKs new pm will negotiate brexit and how hopefully we can all succeed and have good relations, interesting times ahead I think.