The Race for the Tory Leadership and Premiership [Johnson the new PM]

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) bodes well for her run.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) bodes well for her run.

It's quite pathetic really.

Why she didn't delay it I'll never know. :s
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Is there any possibility that Gove is running again?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:

No. Penfold wouldn't dare !
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Did anyone else notice how much more entertaining the US nomination process is than the UK one? :D
    Higgins wrote:

Nope ... Cameron has just said he'll be out by Wednesday. Doing a Cabinet meeting and a PMQ's then he's off.
    Number24 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice how much more entertaining the US nomination process is than the UK one? :D

We just get on with it ... Americans just like to make a song and dance of things :)) :))
    Cameron singing a lament on his way back into No 10 ...

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/752522917649539072
    https://youtu.be/UEaKX9YYHiQ
    Cameron might be singing this :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Cameron or Alan Partridge ... spot the difference :)) :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwQH5owy89o
    :)) :)) :)) life imitating art.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Nope ... Cameron has just said he'll be out by Wednesday. Doing a Cabinet meeting and a PMQ's then he's off.

The Chairman of the Conservative 1922 Committee (of Backbench MPs), who runs the leadership contest, has said there will be no other contest or candidates running and rightly so. It was after all free and fair contest and like the EU referendum result rules are rules. I had initially supported Michael Gove's bid for the premiership but once it came down to the two ladies I quickly changed to Theresa May. I'm delighted she has won and that we don't have to listen to two months of campaigning for the leadership of the Party and the country. In the end, the best possible person for the job (as she said herself) won and that is all that matters. The loathsome Leadsom is a nonentity to me and her castigating of Mrs May as childless finally did her in. What a nasty woman! She wasn't even a member of the Cabinet! 8-)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

We just get on with it ... Americans just like to make a song and dance of things :)) :))

Yes, but in Britain backstabbing and secret negotiations in darkened rooms (in movies they always seem to be sawing on the electric power) seems to be all it takes. I'm sure they do that in the US too, but there is a public contest and a "song and dance" too. I like the American way :007)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I much prefer the British way of all things politics, naturally. They get more done. :D -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I love that 30 year rule on government secrets. Every year we get a little drop of the
    Truth, ......... 30 years out of date. :D
    The American way is more public, entertaining and transparent. The canididate must show what he/she is able to in debates and town hall meetings all over the country. The candidate must prove he/she has public support and the process takes a long time, demanding stamina and ability to handle pressure over time. Those strengths are important in a leader of state. These abilities aren't tested in the British (and, to be fair, Norwegian) candidate election process. The American way has some faults, but I like it. :)
    Honestly The American system is fun to watch ( as an outsider) but I'd hate
    To see it in Britain.
    The American system is too expensive for the candidates, especially because of all the TV ads. The rules in some states are also unfair. In spite of this I have great sympathy for the US model. Can you imagine any of the British candidates visiting a pub in Northern Ireland or Land's End to get elected the Tory or Labour PM candidate?
    They do tour the country ( all parts of the kingdom) I remember Sir John Major in our
    Local shopping Centre :)) Nigel Farage was always in some pub or other. During the
    Referendum all the Politicians were all over the place.
    Just noticed if you put the M in May upside down to make a W, you get a great slogan.

"There's a Way" ;)
    May is facing a fight, which she basically can't win.

She was modestly Pro-EU and member of Cameron's cabinet and represents the old political class.

So it it's true that large parts of the Brexit voters where basically protesters against the existing elite and government, those people will be against her and it will be difficult to get those back.

Those who wanted to stay in the EU, will be unhappy because she already announced that she will lead the UK out of the EU (with probably a better deal - which won't happen as far as I am concerned).

^ things should start to become clearer by weekend ! As clear as mud anyway :s

The only thing that seems certain so far is that the UK hasn't gone into financial meltdown as predicted by some EU no-marks !

Fun times ahead :#
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

The only thing that seems certain so far is that the UK hasn't gone into financial meltdown as predicted by some EU no-marks !

The limited view only on the UK is what bothers me. It annoys me that the focus is only on the UK and noone there cares what their decision does to other EU countries (and I am not speaking about Germany - we'll manage that for sure).

The economy of the entire continent has taken a significant hit and the UK have not even pulles article 50!

The meltdown will not happen suddenly - but slowly.
    Just watch prices in the UK in the year to come.
    It's not over.

Mrs Theresa May is not to be underestimated. She is a very clever and canny political operator and is the best candidate of those who stood for the premiership. She held down the very difficult job of Home Secretary for over six years and so she should have the mettle and determination to see the job of EU negotiator through. In order to usher in a Unity Government/Cabinet she will have leading Brexiteers and Remainers both in her Cabinet. Rest assured, the EU powers that be soon be agreeing that she is indeed "a bloody difficult woman." :) -{
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I'm pleased we have May, I'm also pleased leadsome dropped out, the tories have unified, the markets have reacted positively and at last good brexit news is coming forward. Its what the UK needed. -{
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

The limited view only on the UK is what bothers me. It annoys me that the focus is only on the UK and noone there cares what their decision does to other EU countries (and I am not speaking about Germany - we'll manage that for sure).

The economy of the entire continent has taken a significant hit and the UK have not even pulles article 50!

The meltdown will not happen suddenly - but slowly.
    Just watch prices in the UK in the year to come.
    It's not over.

This comes from the fact that the entire EU threatened the UK with 'tales of woe' - which Austria continued with yesterday - and how the UK would crash & burn without the EU...many EU ministers even said the EU would be better without the UK...so I'm a little puzzled at all this moaning & whinging :s

Italy has just been told by the IMF that it has 20 years of economic woe to look forward too ! That should cause enough panic on its own 8-)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

This comes from the fact that the entire EU threatened the UK with 'tales of woe' - which Austria continued with yesterday - and how the UK would crash & burn without the EU...

8-) Oh, please.
    Noone threatened the UK.

People said what will happen in their expert opinion* - the UK (minus Scotland) should finally stop that paranoid perception of the EU.

This "Crash and Burn" talk is just repeating what the now gone populists said.Does not make it any better though

* and most things will really happen over the years to come - unfortunately.

It's not over!

They do tour the country ( all parts of the kingdom) I remember Sir John Major in our
    Local shopping Centre :)) Nigel Farage was always in some pub or other. During the
    Referendum all the Politicians were all over the place.

But not during the contest to become party leaders, right?
    Leadership of the Political parties, is down to the membership of those parties, the
    public have no say in it.
    I think with the American system you have to be a member of a political party to vote ?
    So a Leadership battle would have to get the public on their side.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I think financially attention should be drawn to other members of the EU....

Ciao, bello ;)
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org