The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited March 2019
    Are we seriously debating about the necessity of a border if the UK leaves the EU?
    I am speaking about Northern Ireland which is a part of the common market and it must be separated somehow from the UK if they want to leave.

NI won't go to the UK and RI won't go to the EU, so we much find a solution for that issue.

I would like to remind, that the UK decided to leave the EU and not vice versa, so one would assume that they would have a plan to solve that issue.

I find it interesting that you TP - apart from the suggestion to have no border at all - have no constructive approach how to solve that issue.

I'd want to hear from you, if - assuming that an open border happened (which will not) - the EU would use the open border in Ireland to ship cars to NI and then export them to the UK to get around the tariffs.

The EU won't allow an open border to their market and thus allow tax/social/ethical/rule based dumping from the UK after the Brexit.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Nice to hear Ireland a sovereign country, has now no say
    Over its own boarder, the EU dictates the terms. Thanks Higgins
    You're making the Leave argument very well {[]
    Welcome and thanks for twisting my words.

I was speaking about Northern Ireland, which is still a part of the EU and the EU border.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    N.I is set to be the new Boom town ( and not in the
    Traditional , "Boom" sense of N.Ireland ) ;) bring on
    The smuggling, money and jobs for all.

Please Higgins, Don't take any of my arguments as personal
    Or indeed strongly held position. I enjoy a quiet life and will
    Happily take what I'm given . :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    So what is your proposal to solve the dilemma which I have repeatedly figured?

Have a 2nd referendum, make sure ( through various means ;) )
    That remain win by at least 9 to 10 % and stay in....... that's what I
    Contemplate from my balls, ... ( crystal ones obviously )
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    ...anything constructive?

Maybe you get down from your "meh, I don't want this, I don't want that, this is undemocratic, this is taking away souverenity" chair?

I can't change anything, and even with the sarcasm....
    ...... neither can you. :))

2nd referendum with a result to stay is what will happen.
    The politicians, the upper middle classes, etc all want it.
    So we'll be staying and using the euro.
    You could give a constructive suggestion how you want to solve that.

In my opinion, the backstop like it is is the only realistic solution for the timebeing or a Norway model (which is not what the Brexiteers want).

I don't think and don't hope that a second referendum happens.
    The first one was clear enough that these don't work.

What do you want to ask?

a. Brexit with May's deal
    b. leave without a deal (knowing that there is nobody who really wants to execute it)

or

a. Brexit with May's deal
    b. Leave without a deal
    c. stay in the EU?

What are you doing, if the vote is 33/33/34%

I sincerely hope that the UK will hard Brexit on 29th March and will follow interested if all the experts where right or wrong.

It may be incovenient for us, it will be painful for the UK and we will have a border somewhere. In Ireland or in the Irish Sea

On an unrelated issue, where is Number24 ? Not like him to
    miss a political debate. Especially with an intellectual giant
    Like myself ;)
    you still haven't made a constructive suggestion, may I remind you.....

No I refuse to rise to a challenge. :p
    No you escape in sarcasm and conspiracy theories instead of trying to solve a serious issue

edited March 2019
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I'm more interested in the use of the word "border" in that document, even though several of the meanings of the "boarder" seems oddly relevant in the Brexit debate: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/boarder.
    I hope you forgive me giving in to one of my less likable instincts, TP. :)

(Silently praying there are no spelling mistakes in this post :# )
    Once a teacher, always a teacher :p
    Do you agree "boarder" could be used more in the Brexit debate? :))

Boarder:

1. One who boards, especially:
    a. One who pays a stipulated sum in return for regular meals or for meals and lodging.
    b. One who goes on board a vessel as part of an assault or military action.
    Ok, I'm done :#5

So for the record: you have nothing constructive to say about the topic.
    And you don‘t have any idea how this has to be solved. Very democratic I must say...

:)) :)) :))
    Our views on democracy are very different.
    Luckily I support the Majority opinion :x
    and look forward to our betrayal by the political
    Elite and our return to the utopia of the EU bosom.

Although Big hugs to all in the discussion, we may try
    And leave the EU, but we're not leaving all the lovely, sexy
    Peoples of Europe.
    You may play the clown but as the bottomline, you have nothing constructive to say.

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Are we seriously debating about the necessity of a border if the UK leaves the EU?
    I am speaking about Northern Ireland which is a part of the common market and it must be separated somehow from the UK if they want to leave.

NI won't go to the UK and RI won't go to the EU, so we much find a solution for that issue.

I would like to remind, that the UK decided to leave the EU and not vice versa, so one would assume that they would have a plan to solve that issue.

I find it interesting that you TP - apart from the suggestion to have no border at all - have no constructive approach how to solve that issue.

I'd want to hear from you, if - assuming that an open border happened (which will not) - the EU would use the open border in Ireland to ship cars to NI and then export them to the UK to get around the tariffs.

The EU won't allow an open border to their market and thus allow tax/social/ethical/rule based dumping from the UK after the Brexit.
    If its strictly the case that the EU doesn't allow open borders to their market, then how do Switzerland get around that? Or Monaco or even lichtenstein? Non are member states, seems to me the issue of borders to protect the EU market is based somewhat on trust, in which case if its good enough for them it should be good enough for us.
    Should NI become an EU gateway for German cars to enter the UK market place tarif free then tariffs would be applied at the point of sale surely.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    {[] true my bottom has a line running through it. Almost a
    Analogy for the border in Ireland....... one big stinky problem.

( the border, not my bottom )
    edited March 2019
    Chriscoop wrote:
    If its strictly the case that the EU doesn't allow open borders to their market, then how do Switzerland get around that? Or Monaco or even lichtenstein? Non are member states, seems to me the issue of borders to protect the EU market is based somewhat on trust, in which case if its good enough for them it should be good enough for us.
    Should NI become an EU gateway for German cars to enter the UK market place tarif free then tariffs would be applied at the point of sale surely.

There is a custom‘s border between Germany and Switzerland.
    Switzerland has a free trade agreement with the EU and is paying membership fees.
    They also respect EU regulations and freedom of movement for EU citizens.
    Monaco is an integral part of the EU custom‘s Union. They have no indutry or agriculture.
    Monaco is strongly associated to France, which is an EU member.

[url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco–European_Union_relations[/url]

Liechtenstein is associated to Switzerland which has a free trade agreement with the EU
    Liechtenstein citizens can live, work freely in the EU and vice versa.
    Like Switzerland, Liechtenstein obeys to EU rules and regulations and grants freedom of movement.

Higgins wrote:

It may be incovenient for us, it will be painful for the UK and we will have a border somewhere. In Ireland or in the Irish Sea

Who's going to man a border in the Irish Sea if the UK refuse to acknowledge it? Or a land border between NI and Eire? The Irish army and navy? The EU navy? Or perhaps the French or Spanish or Italian navy can take it in turns? Not sure how well that would be tolerated. I also don't think an EU imposed border would be very popular.
    Popular or not, there will be a border to protect EU market and regulation after a Brexit without a deal

It‘s exactly this kind of hostility against the EU and their needs that puts people off from understanding the UK position.

The entire discussion is about what the UK wants and what the UK needs and what the UK finds inacceptable, from the parliament debates I can hardly see anyone who says - „we must make it possible for the EU as well.“

Higgins wrote:
    Popular or not, there will be a border to protect EU market and regulation after a Brexit without a deal

It‘s exactly this kind of hostility against the EU and their needs that puts people off from understanding the UK position.

The entire discussion is about what the UK wants and what the UK needs and what the UK finds inacceptable, from the parliament debates I can hardly see anyone who says - „we must make it possible for the EU as well.“
    I'm not being hostile I find these discussions educating and interesting.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    An interesting article about the border between Sweden and Norway which uses technology (alongside some physical checks and checkpoints) which would seem to point to a solution:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47047993

Presumably this could be feasible if both sides were willing to co-operate?
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    edited March 2019
    I don‘t see anything groundbreaking from this article.

Between Norway and Sweden, there are physical checkpoints with waiting times for trucks and physical inspections.

As the EU negotiator said. They have looked into every existing border and yet, there is no feasible solution for the issue.

But I sincerely hope that this matter will soon be solved

I could be the official AJB border correspondent, when or
    If, it's up and running.
    Higgins wrote:
    I don‘t see anything groundbreaking from this article.

Between Norway and Sweden, there are physical checkpoints with waiting times for trucks and physical inspections.

As the EU negotiator said. They have looked into every existing border and yet, there is no feasible solution for the issue.

But I sincerely hope that this matter will soon be solved

Yes. At least with ordinary cars the customs officers pick more or less random vehicles and check them. I assume trucks have a much higher chance of getting stopped. I live far from the border to Sweden, so I'm not sure. Perhaps Grindewald can speak with more authority on this. A fully automated system is impossible, that's for sure. It's a also worth mentioning that Norway and Sweden may be among the most trust-based countries and we haven't been at war for more than two hundred years.
    If you discount skirmishes in Africa, its about 200 years since the UK and France were at war too. We have manual random checks on cars and freight also.
This discussion has been closed.