The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Absolutely, sadly on this subject, some take it very seriously.
    Happily, as I've lived through over 30 years of bombings and
    Shootings I've learned to live life for fun , not to take anything
    Too seriously........... and I'll never change -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    While Brexit has been problematic, I hope we can agree life will go on whatever happens, even if it's a hard Brexit.
    And of course Theresa May is a great dancer:

tenor.gif
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,453Chief of Staff
    Well, I'm back from my few days away (with a few interruptions) and I seem to have missed a lot in this thread- perhaps fortunately!

Perhaps this excerpt from Shakespeare's Sir James Bond may be of relevance.... :D Pleydell-Smith introduces Sir James to the club.

Pleydell-Smith: Next is Alchemist Dent, from Deutschland.... oh, but he ist not here. Merely a chair with a beach towel thrown across it. Landlord, where ist Alchemist Dent?
    (Ye landlord approaches, a bearded man with suspiciously dark hair and wearing a jester’s outfit.)
    Landlord: Sure, to be sure gentlemen, I could not say.
    Sir James: I thank'ee, but why ye jester's outfit?
    Landlord: Once I worked in a royal court, but now I am nobody's fool. I shalt ask mine deputy- Virgil! Virgil Tracy!
    (A young man dressed as Captain Scarlet approaches.)
    Virgil: Aye, landlord? I wast just polishing ye A.R.S.E. and feeding Holly.
    Landlord: These gentlemen do seek Alchemist Dent, know ye where he can be found?
    Virgil: Hmm, he was last in ye Memorabilia chamber arguing with another gentleman member over which kind of timepiece wast better.
    Landlord: Nothing unusual there then...
    Pleydell-Smith: (Aside.) Ye Alchemist doth like to argue... a lot. Ah, here he comes now. (Enter Alchemist Dent, polishing a large timepiece.) Denty-babe, there thou art!
    Alchemist Dent: Ye name is DENT!!! X-( X-( X-(
    Pleydell-Smith: But of course you are. I prithee, greet Sir James from Albion.
    Sir James: Greetings, Alchemist Dent.
    Alchemist Dent: Greetings? Why do you say “greetings”? And who hath told thee I am Dent?
    Sir James: ...Er... Ist that not thine name?
    Alchemist Dent: Mine name? Oh.... Ja, ‘tis mine name.
    Pleydell-Smith: (Aside.) Told you he liked to argue....
    Alchemist Dent: Waiter! Wo ist mein knockwurst und sauerkraut? Und schnell!
    Sir James: I hast travelled to seek ye Duke of Strangways and his clerking wench, hast anyone heard any ken of them?
    Alchemist Dent: Um, that clerking wench was a looker, perhaps they ran away together, on a cruise?
    Pleydell-Smith: I did hear that ye Duke enjoyed fishing, in ye boat of a local man named Quarrel.
    Alchemist Dent: Quarrel?? Excellent! Where ist this quarrel?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Wonder who that Dent may be here on AJB.

Sounds like a true jerk 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I sort of like this Dr Dent character in spite of his faults. Makes him interesting. Also,he's completely differnt from me. No resemblance at all. No sir …..
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1102443/brexit-news-sky-news-independent-group-chuka-umunna-bill-cash-kay-burley-by-elections
    Chuka Umunna who left Labour and demands a second vote on staying in the EU. Is not so happy to be asked if he'll stand for a second vote in a byelection for his seat :)) typical politician, one
    Rule for us, another for them.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well, if it would be found out, that he heavily cheated himself into his seat and that he's not able or willing to execute many of the main points of his campaign, then there should be a reelection.

And I am sure that the majority of people would see it that way

Absolutely, he went in as a Labour politician, now he's an
    Independent, ...... what a cheat ! :))
    I think, that it's quite common in an indirect democracy that people keep their seats and run as independent - until the end of the legistlative period.

You are comparing Apples with Oranges. No matter how the Referendum was decided, there is no majority to execute a Hard Brexit (and it's unclear, if the 52% of people who voted to leave wanted a Hard Brexit or a Brexit with a deal. That's one of the issues that I've pointed out previously - how carefully worded the options must be worded for a Referendum).

The recent event is another example of how the UK is only spinning around themselves in that endless navelgazing.

So, Mrs May asks for an extension until 30th June.

We have elections for the European parliament going on from 26th May till 29th May and

1. If the UK participated, they would be entitled to decide about the budget and other key points for the years to come, while possibly leaving the EU shortly after.

2. If the UK won‘t participate, this will be the subject of several legal cases in the aftermath and another example for the doubters of how undemocratic the EU is.

So, instead of accepting reality and other‘s needs, she just puts that date, regardless of the consequences. And there is no strategy or plan, why that extension is productive in any kind, or if it‘s just again kicking the can down the road

The EU has issued an ultimatum to Britain: The UK must accept the negotiated deal for EU to allow a delay of the Brexit date.
    One can argue this is a form of extortion, especially since the house of commons has said no to the negotiated deal. On the other hand we must remember the EU is not to required to give in to demands until the House thinks it's good enough.
    I fear it will be impossible for MP's to change their vote on this because it will be seen as giving in to pressure or even extortion by the EU, something that's political suicide. It lloks to me like this will end in the UK leaving without a deal. After a difficult period, hopefully fairly short one, there will be some kind of treaty between the EU and the UK because everyone needs one.
    Any other view on this?
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Give her a chance, H-bomb. :007) She’s trying to please a very disparate group of people, all of whom have very loud voices. If you’d prefer her to throw in the towel and for the UK to leave without a deal, then I’m pretty sure it would have consequences for both the UK and the EU. IMHO we need some kind of certainty, and if only politicians on both sides would get behind a deal, we would have some resolution which is better than the current situation. The real work on negotiating terms of trade agreements will start once the UK has left.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    How many chances does she need?

My point was, that everything in the UK is about the UK, and the extension to 30. June is just ignorant to the fact that there is something else very important going on in the meantime and UK lawmakers will be the first who will complain that they have not been treated correctly.

She just could have respected the EU elections and set the timeline up to 26th May, but that may have been sensible.

Number24 wrote:
    The EU has issued an ultimatum to Britain: The UK must accept the negotiated deal for EU to allow a delay of the Brexit date.
    One can argue this is a form of extortion, especially since the house of commons has said no to the negotiated deal. On the other hand we must remember the EU is not to required to give in to demands until the House thinks it's good enough.
    I fear it will be impossible for MP's to change their vote on this because it will be seen as giving in to pressure or even extortion by the EU, something that's political suicide. It lloks to me like this will end in the UK leaving without a deal. After a difficult period, hopefully fairly short one, there will be some kind of treaty between the EU and the UK because everyone needs one.
    Any other view on this?

I am not sure that this will happen, but the legend will be, that the evil EU has blackmailed the UK on their knees in the end.

I am just hearing from a group of Hardcore Brexiteers, who would rather prefer to stay in the EU just to fight harder for a later Brexit :s

In the recent list of the happiest places to live. Britain has risen in the rankings -{ Now above
    Germany, and Italy. Would seem the public are happy to be leaving the EU :))
    edited March 2019
    Nigel Farage:

"Without the topic of immigration, we would not have won. I understood that very early on, Bannon understood that very early on."

Yesterday, there was a hair-rising documentary how Farage and the Leave Campaing attacked the Democracy with the aid of Cambridge Analytica, AIQ, Breitbart, and others to win the Referendum - supported by characters like Robert Mercer, Arron Banks and Steve Bannon. Their common goal is and was - to rip apart the UK and the EU.

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/zdfzoom/zdfzoom-angriff-auf-die-demokratie-102.html

Unfortunately only in german language, but shocking what has came all up.

Feel free to do your own research with the keywords that I've given.

It warms my heart to see some who have claimed Nigel Farage
    Was a liar. Now believe his statements -{ the world loves a
    Convert ;) :))
    It warms my heart to see you ignoring everything that doesn't match your perception ;)

He is a liar, but why would he lie on that point?

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,453Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    It warms my heart to see you ignoring everything that doesn't match your perception ;)

boris.png
    A politician with the ideology Farage has would claim immigration was the key issue, for the same reason a Tory Brexiteer politician would claim fair trade regulations and the economy was the key issue and a Labour Brexiteer would claim saving the NHS was key.
    Well, Bannon was deeply involved and credited and for sure he has nothing else in mind then free trade ;)

And Farage was the founder of United KIngdom IndePendence, and the immigration was a welcome topic because with his initial goal, not enough people really cared. His words

Are we (with the exception of TP) still denying that immigration was a key factor in the Brexit vote?

I am exceptional, aren't I :D
    I think imigration was one of several key factors in Brexit.
    image-1407937-galleryV9-kltt-1407937.jpg
    image-1407939-galleryV9-sfml-1407939.jpg
    image-1407938-galleryV9-dyqf-1407938.jpg
    image-1407936-galleryV9-dvai-1407936.jpg
    image-1407948-galleryV9-toxt-1407948.jpg
    image-1407955-galleryV9-rpnu-1407955.jpg
    image-1407946-galleryV9-tywv-1407946.jpg
    image-1407942-galleryV9-viue-1407942.jpg
    image-1407953-galleryV9-flpp-1407953.jpg

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Your skills at art have certainly improved Higgy :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    X-( HIGGINS X-(

o

Patrick Stewart and Hugh Grant are organising some buses
    To a 2nd referendum meeting, so now the lovvies are involved
    This will soon all be sorted :D
    And that sums it up pretty well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IL2XwSkFJQ

>>That's how populism works:

It masks political failure by blaming others! <<
    (my words EU and immigrants)

It will all soon be just a bad dream. Parliament won't
    Let us leave. ;) or .... 2nd referendum , either way......
    We ain't going anywhere baby !
This discussion has been closed.