The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,501Chief of Staff
    Well, there go several Bond movies! :#
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I have several friends who have tried to get me to
    Watch The Lord of the rings, and Game of thrones, but
    I'm not interested in sword and sorcery.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I was a star wars child, loved the original trilogy, highly disappointed in the films that followed (though the scores were quite good)
    Never got star trek on any level.
    TP I studied Tolkien and read all his books, the films were great but I'd swerve the Hobbit films, they simply come accross as money makers, and offer nothing new. The first 3 films are good stuff though and Tolkien based his books on a narrative on the United Kingdoms history.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent
    I can also tell you Game of Thrones is sword and sorcery for people who normally don't like sword and sorcery.
    Number24 wrote:
    I can also tell you Game of Thrones is sword and sorcery for people who normally don't like sword and sorcery.
    Like Conan with Arnie?
    Did Conan o'brien do a film with Arnie ? ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bride Of Barbel is a huge sword & sorcery fan, and loves Game Of Thrones. We've watched it through twice, and she's currently reading the books.
    I'm totally with you Chriscoop re LOTR, although I think the Hobbit movies are not as bad as you think. Sure, they're not a patch on LOTR but they do have their moments especially in the extended versions.
    Extended version ? .... are the hobbits taller in that one ?

No, has to be Sci-fi for me, phaser blasters and ladies in
    Shiny silver dresses. Much more sensible.
    Barbel wrote:
    Bride Of Barbel is a huge sword & sorcery fan, and loves Game Of Thrones. We've watched it through twice, and she's currently reading the books.
    I'm totally with you Chriscoop re LOTR, although I think the Hobbit movies are not as bad as you think. Sure, they're not a patch on LOTR but they do have their moments especially in the extended versions.
    I agree, and I've watched the extended versions, they aren't bad at all, but after watching tlotr, the Hobbit films just dont quite match up, there is an air of cynicism I found. If the Hobbit was a trilogy, LOTR should be six films (sextology?)
    Some stand out performances in the Hobbit though, obviously Martin Freeman, but Evangaline Lilley and Lee Pace were great, and good to see Billy Connoly as himself if shorter. Great films, but LOTR were great, great films. {[]
    {[] Yes, we're of one mind.
    Is that half each ? :p

Oh, I love those as well! :D

You're too generous...
    {[]
    Barbel wrote:
    {[] Yes, we're of one mind.
    Extended version ? .... are the hobbits taller in that one ?

:)) :))
    I defy you not to find an elfess with a bow and a sword with plaited hair unappealing! She even has Spock type ears!
    I have to say that we seem to have wandered from UK politics, but this is much, much more entertaining and only slightly less living in a fantasy world.
    Barbel wrote:

You're too generous...
    Too generous by a long way!
    To be honest it's a long time since I've enjoyed
    An evening on AJB talking bollocks, as I sip on
    A cider. {[] ( feels like old times )
    {[] Whisky for me.
    I've got a Macallan -{
    To be honest it's a long time since I've enjoyed
    An evening on AJB talking bollocks, as I sip on
    A cider. {[] ( feels like old times )
    Only you could put feeling your bollocks like old times in such a decent way!
    :)) :)) :))
    Hey guys look after yourselves, check regularly. :))
    Life's too short for that!
    Hey guys look after yourselves, check regularly. :))
    If I found a third one I'd be asking vesectomy surgeon for a refund! :))
    :))
    Depends on Where you find it.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I agree, and I've watched the extended versions, they aren't bad at all, but after watching tlotr, the Hobbit films just dont quite match up, there is an air of cynicism I found. If the Hobbit was a trilogy, LOTR should be six films (sextology?)
    Some stand out performances in the Hobbit though, obviously Martin Freeman, but Evangaline Lilley and Lee Pace were great, and good to see Billy Connoly as himself if shorter. Great films, but LOTR were great, great films. {[]

The orgional idea was for Guillermo del Toro to make two Hobbit movies. I think the result would've been better that way. A different vison to set them apart from LotR and a tighter story.

I suggest this thread should be retiltled The General UK Politics (and fantasy movies) thread. :D
    :))
    Depends on Where you find it.
    Ive always said Mrs coop has balls :s
    Number24 wrote:

The orgional idea was for Guillermo del Toro to make two Hobbit movies. I think the result would've been better that way. A different vison to set them apart from LotR and a tighter story.

I agree two movies rather than three (the story gets stretched too far- "5 Armies" certainly shows that) but Jackson should always have been the clear choice to direct.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I do not drink alchohol I instead prefer this refreshing drink.

http://www.brexitdrink.com
This discussion has been closed.