The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Could Bond be " sword and sorcery-ised "
    Hinx and Jaws as Giants, Nick Nack an elf etc ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I notice it is made in Poland!

I did try the EU drink but I thought it was too sour for my taste! :v
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

The orgional idea was for Guillermo del Toro to make two Hobbit movies. I think the result would've been better that way. A different vison to set them apart from LotR and a tighter story.

I agree two movies rather than three (the story gets stretched too far- "5 Armies" certainly shows that) but Jackson should always have been the clear choice to direct.
    I agree, Jackson lived and breathed Tolkien, his deftness in realising LOTR into a film series was ahead of its time, so many said the LOTR was impossible to turn into a film.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,501Chief of Staff
    Could Bond be " sword and sorcery-ised "
    Hinx and Jaws as Giants, Nick Nack an elf etc ?

Yes, certainly. With Q as an old wizard... oh wait...
    The EU drink did have a sweet taste at first but a strange and bitter after taste. I think the person strirring the mixture did far too much stirring in an attempt to get us to like it but spolied the taste as a result!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    I do not drink alchohol I instead prefer this refreshing drink.

http://www.brexitdrink.com

Can I have a sugar-free Brexit?
    Joshua wrote:
    The EU drink did have a sweet taste at first but a strange and bitter after taste. I think the person strirring the mixture did far too much stirring in an attempt to get us to like it but spolied the taste as a result!

Well, clearly it should be shaken not stirred! :007)
    No, it is fizzy. The top will soon blow off under great pressure (typical EU drink!) ;)
    Perhaps if we got everyone in a room, filled them with drink
    They could work it out :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Joshua wrote:
    No, it is fizzy. The top will soon blow off under great pressure (typical EU drink!) ;)

I disagree. An EU drink is mixing many drinks until everything tastes flat.
    As with any fizzy drink it should be handled carefully, but even more very carefully for fizzy EU drink. I think the manufcturer put too much gas in it because it will explode with out warning if handled anything but most delicately.
    Number24 wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

I disagree. An EU drink is mixing many drinks until everything tastes flat.

Yes! :))
    :)) :)) :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    "Oh don't go, Nick, come on!"
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,977MI6 Agent
    say fellers you should let people know this is now the Lord of the Rings thread!
    I'd been ignoring it til now cuz I thought you were all arguing about politics, instead of the important stuff like the implacable ancient feud between Gondor and Mordor

I definitely think the Hobbit movies were a mistake, Peter Jacksons worst tendencies allowed to run wild for ten mostly unneeded hours

Tolkien's book was 200 pages of whimsy. The sequel was more like a thousand pages, so if Lord of the Rings got faithfully adapted into a ten hour film, by proportion The Hobbit film should have been no more than two hours.
    And there are fan edits circulating online, that remove everything except what Tolkien actually wrote, that trim it down to close to that length.

The very fact there even is a film called Battle of the Five Armies is the problem. In Tolkien's book, Bilbo is knocked unconscious at the end of one chapter and when he wakes up at the start of the next chapter, the Battle is all over, he slept through it. But Jackson had so much fun dragging the Battle of Helm's Deep (10 pages in the book) out to 90 minutes worth of film, he wasn't going to miss a chance to turn a Battle Tolkien didn't even describe into a three hour film all on its own.
    Ahem....

Despite being as guilty as anyone of wandering off-topic, I think it's now time to return this thread to its initial purpose: UK politics (or to give it its formal name, "The Desolation Of Mogg").

I believe we do have a more appropriate thread for talkin' Tolkien elsewhere.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    image-1413001-galleryV9-idab-1413001.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,702MI6 Agent
    Perhaps if we got everyone in a room, filled them with drink
    They could work it out :D

I don't see why not as that is the process by which the EU has made its laws for many years. -{

I'm sure that Jean-Claude Juncker would be on board for that too! {[]

https://www.politico.eu/article/questions-mount-about-jean-claude-juncker-health/
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    9138FEC4-87F9-411C-84D9-E22B641E4FB4-1024x745.jpg
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,702MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    9138FEC4-87F9-411C-84D9-E22B641E4FB4-1024x745.jpg

That is a much more accurate cartoon, I feel.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    For every act of propaganda there is always an antidote. ;)
    That's also accurate.
    I think we need to remind ourselves that no matter how Brexit ends, no countries will go bancrupt because of it, no democracies will fall and Britain will still be a part of Europe :D
    Number24 wrote:
    I think we need to remind ourselves that no matter how Brexit ends, no countries will go bancrupt because of it, no democracies will fall and Britain will still be a part of Europe :D

We'll still be a part of the Europe, yes. That is a geographic fact one simply cannot escape. :D
    If this happens, hopefully they'll take the trouble of finding out what they want instead of EU membership before the date they are supposed to leave - or even before they decide to leave.
    edited April 2019
    How to stir emotions in a highly emotional environment with an emotional and factually wrong headline by a UKIP newspaper and then put it right in the smallprint.:

„If Poland was to hold a referendum similar to Britain's Brexit ballot, 88 percent of Poles would vote against leaving the bloc“

88% ?....
    As the UK vote proves under this " New democracy ", simply getting a Majority
    Is NOT enough to get it enacted ! :)) will it be a Hard or soft remain ? :))
    edited April 2019
    TP, I have to ask: do you really believe the British voted to leave the EU without a deal?
    edited April 2019
    88% ?....
    As the UK vote proves under this " New democracy ", simply getting a Majority
    Is NOT enough to get it enacted ! :)) will it be a Hard or soft remain ? :))

Ridiculing your own source makes sense.... :))

This discussion has been closed.