The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    As an observer, listening to people I came to the conclusion a while ago that Brexit is not all about economics for the voting public(this I think is why many people would be comfortable with 'no deal') but to a great extent about not letting the UK be ruled by the EU and a certain country - do not worry I will not mention its name because it will upset some one - at the centre of a EU super state.
    This is how I see it. Perhaps my British friends see it differently?

I think this article gives a good explanation of what I have come to understand as the main issue for many voters.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/brexit-is-a-revolt-against-german-run-europe-super-state---commentary.html
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited April 2019
    I can only speak for myself but I don't like the direction the
    EU is taking. Trading is fine, but having to take all the laws,
    and regulations, even now a European army ?.
    I simply have no wish to live in a province of the United
    States of Europe.

On her tour of Europe, Mrs Merkel couldn't be bothered to
    Meet Mrs May on the red carpet :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Parliament has passed a motion to stop a No deal, so it's not
    Going to happen, although oddly enough. It's the EU who is
    Scared stuff of a no deal Brexit, as it will Really hurt the EU. Hence
    Why so much effort was put in to getting it removed as an option.

I have no idea where you get this from.
    As I've said yesterday, if the HP would have voted to leave the EU in the last weeks, there would have been a Brexit.

It seems, that the conservative government and the HP realize, how damaging a Hard Brexit will be for the UK and therefore are interested in getting the possibility of an "accidential" Hard Brexit out of their way.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited April 2019
    Ens007 wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/13/john-bercow-faces-backlash-b-brexit-car-sticker/

Any form of google search would have found information regarding this - it really isn't a secret Higgins, despite his subsequent & untruthful claim that it was seen on his wife's car!

Thanks for that.
    Has it ever been confirmed, that - in contrary to what Bercow said - it was his car with the sticker?

It surely would have caused higher waves than just this article.

And a handful of MPs accusing him being partizan is hardly an evidence that he really is.

From everything that I am reading, he's not and does a pretty good job.
    And he refused to let D. Trump speak in both houses, so Kudos to him! {[]

edited April 2019
    I wrote rubbish here

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Latest poll in the Express gives a result of 75%
    For a No deal Brexit . :D as ever the politicians are
    Right in step with the voters :))

Higgins, I refer you to post 618. I have brexited from you.
    Should that not be TPexited
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/09/john-bercow-speaker-unafraid-to-hold-the-governments-feet-to-the-fire

Higgins - again I would say that a very brief google search conjures up further proof ... there are 2 paragraphs enclosed in this particular article:

Though Bercow has long been a thorn in the side of the government, it was his admission to a group of students in early 2017 that he had voted remain which set him at odds with mainstream Eurosceptic Tory backbenchers.

“Personally, I voted to remain. I thought it was better to stay in the European Union than not,” he told students at Reading University. He also referred to untruths during the Brexit campaign, when “promises were made that could not be kept”.

I do hope that the words "I voted to remain" from Mr Bercow put an end to this somewhat tedious question of proving he is in fact a remainer??!!

Anyway that'll do me for now on here in light of previous posts / tone of posts. I think that it was TP who said previously that we will never see eye to eye on this subject, so there's very little point in going round & round in circles.
    Thank you, Ens007! {[]

theresa-may-asks-for-angela-merkels-help-in-securing-brexit-dela.jpg

Apparently she won't even get any Ferrero Rocher :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    There will never be agreement as such on the brexit debate, 17.4 million people voted to leave the EU for thousands of different reasons, not all those people had a hatred for the EU or for immigration. And I'm certain the vast majority of those are not nationalist bigots, from the common fisheries policy in Scotland to potatoe farmers who can't make a profit due to cheaper produce coming in from other member states to people suspicious of an EU armed force, unemployed steel workers who lost jobs because of EU regulations preventing the government from intervening etc etc.....
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited April 2019
    I'm sure friendships have ended over it, even families
    Split in the remain/leave debate. It's basically a civil
    War, without the fighting.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-6900045/Speculators-betting-heavily-fall-euro-amid-woeful-economic-data-Germany.html
    Speculators on the money markets betting the euro is going to
    Take a fall.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    I hear "to Brexit" has become an expression in several languages. It is used in the sense of saying you're going to leave, but not leaving anyway. "The inlaws visisted this weekend. It was nice, but on Sunday they started Brexiting". :))
    edited April 2019
    The often criticized EU, lead by the often mocked Jean Claude Juncker managed to press China to assure more fairness for european companies in their market.

Sometimes you need a certain size to negotiate something which should be common sense.
    One advantage of operating in a larger unit:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2019-04-03/why-europe-getting-tough-china

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

I have personal experience of the Chinese and China as a state and how they operate. Any 'assurance' they give is completely worthless. The claim above does nothing but expose the nievity of those comentating and those negotiating. Still it provides me with a good belly laugh.

Mark my words two or three years from now and see what China has changed to make things 'fairer'.

Do you mean one year more time for those who wish to over turn the referendum to do there work?
    Yes, I think it's very obvious now that we're staying in the EU.
    It's great to see democracy at work. :# I only hope that in the
    European elections the Brexit party gets plenty of seats. Just
    To be a pain the the ass, for all the undemocratic remainers. :D
    With the treacherous Labour and conservative parties losing
    Lots of seats in the North, as they have totally reneged on their
    Manifesto promises to respect the vote and to leave the EU.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,695MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    Ha Ha Ha Ha!

I have personal experience of the Chinese and China as a state and how they operate. Any 'assurance' they give is completely worthless. The claim above does nothing but expose the nievity of those comentating and those negotiating. Still it provides me with a good belly laugh.

Mark my words two or three years from now and see what China has changed to make things 'fairer'.

Yes, I urge everyone to go and buy a Huawei phone. This will surely help things along. Makes it much easier for Red China to spy on us all! :v
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    The Chinese state can not be trusted. They are merciless. China is only interested in what is good for China. Nothing more.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,695MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    The Chinese state can not be trusted. They are merciless. China is only interested in what is good for China. Nothing more.

Of course, but people still buy their crappy phones, despite all the warnings about their surveillance capabilities. Their very poor record on human rights tells you all you need to know about them.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited April 2019
    Interesting. So the UK have no trade relations to China?
    Noone needs rechargable batteries for cars?
    Apple iphones?
    No freezers and washing machines?
    And it was more about european companies selling to China and producing there.

And for sure UK alone would be more successful....

The EU would never do a deal with a country that
    Didn't respect human rights ? .... Would they ? ...
    Don't they make a big thing about their court of
    Human rights ,? ...... but not when there's a euro
    Or two to be made :))
    Higgins wrote:
    Apple iphones?

The difference being that those things you list can't spy on us (yet, anyway) but doubts have been raised about their Huawei phones. That is the issue and well you know it, Higgins!

P.S. I'm more of a Samsung kinda guy! :D
    edited April 2019
    The EU would never do a deal with a country that
    Didn't respect human rights ? .... Would they ? ...
    Don't they make a big thing about their court of
    Human rights ,? ...... but not when there's a euro
    Or two to be made :))

As if UK banks and hedgefonds act any different.

For sure the UK join Germany boycotting Saudi Arabia selling arms just like Germany does?

Yes, I think it's very obvious now that we're staying in the EU.
    It's great to see democracy at work. :# I only hope that in the
    European elections the Brexit party gets plenty of seats. Just
    To be a pain the the ass, for all the undemocratic remainers. :D
    With the treacherous Labour and conservative parties losing
    Lots of seats in the North, as they have totally reneged on their
    Manifesto promises to respect the vote and to leave the EU.

As I have already explaned I am not for or against Brexit. What I am for is that the result of a free vote is respected. What I am against is any attempts to deny that vote or over turn it because a few people in power do not agree.

This is a cause worth fighting for because I strongly feel that to allow it to happen will mean that votes are then worthless. What happens now will have very serious conssqence for the rest of our life times at least.

Once trust is lost in the polticitians, and I really think it is now lost, the people will turn to others to give them a voice. In this case it will be the Brexit party and UKIP and perhaps even worse.

I think that Brussels will now have many Nigel Farages sitting in the European parliment after May. There might even be enough with the other anti EU people from Italy and other places to cause real trouble for the EU.

This why I think, for the sake of the EU, they would be better not allowing any extension because the warfare we have seen in London will spread into Brussels parliment and cause them much trouble. This I think would be the aim of Nigel Fargage and the others.
    How quickly this becomes an anti British rant................ 8-)
    Higgins wrote:
    Apple iphones?

The difference being that those things you list can't spy on us (yet, anyway) but doubts have been raised about their Huawei phones. That is the issue and well you know it, Higgins!

Well, you brought up Huawei - not me.
    It sounded from others, that trading with China in general is not necessary and that the EU are naive doing so.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    There are good to be sceptcal of China, but everyone needs trade deals with them. The bigger the economy you represent, the better leverage you have to make a good deal. I agree with Higgins that the EU has more leverage than the UK.
    Higgins wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Apple iphones?

Well, you brought up Huawei - not me.
    It sounded from others, that trading with China in general is not necessary and that the EU are naive doing so.

I've got no problem at all with the EU or the UK trading with China - if they are on the level. If they are selling products into our markets to spy on us, then that is of course another matter entirely. Surely that is just good common sense?
    So expansionism is a good thing, to gain power over
    Smaller countries......... ? So not a society of equals ?
    The European dream :))
This discussion has been closed.