Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    bonded123 wrote:
    If I were ultra cynical I'd suggest that Elba's agent or people close to him actively marketed this new story just to bring his name back into the media. If you Google:

"Idris Elba James Bond"

- it comes up with the new story about Broccoli considering him for Bond. The story has been denied but even if it is fake news (which it appears to be) it's publicity for Elba. People may have forgotten about him as a potential Bond but now he's back in the news! Make up a fake story, put it out there and free publicity. Elba can spend the weekend checking online to see what people think of him as "the next Bond."

I actually think all of the Bond stuff is probably bad for Elba’s career and he would probably prefer if it went away. At this point, he may be best known for a role he will never play. He seems an intelligent man so I’m sure he realizes that many of the people who assert that he’s the “right man for the job” are only doing so to advance their progressive agenda; they don’t give a damn about Idris or James Bond beyond that.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    As far as I can see it's not a fake story. It's based on him being mentioned as a possible Bond in the Sony leaks and Barbara Broccoli's recent comments. You're the first I know of who think the speculations are fake.
    Of course this is positive attention for Elba and that's good for his career, even though he won't get cast as Bond.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    As far as I can see it's not a fake story. It's based on him being mentioned as a possible Bond in the Sony leaks and Barbara Broccoli's recent comments. You're the first I know of who think the speculations are fake.
    Of course this is positive attention for Elba and that's good for his career, even though he won't get cast as Bond.

Can you give me the exact quote in the ‘Sony leaks’ where Elba is ‘mentioned as a possible Bond’, please :)
    YNWA 97
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    I don’t want Idris Elba for the simple fact that Bond 26 would become about political debate and not BOND and fun and entertainment.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-idris-elba-as-james-bond-rumor-is-all-made-up-stuff-1133979
    I haven't read the leaks myself, but the Sony boss (Amy Pascal? ) wanted Elba according to the press.
    I know Elba has said the producers haven't contacted him about the job. The story is that Barbara Broccoli is open to a dark-skinned Bond and Elba is an actor who many want as Bond. That's not fake news.
    Number24 wrote:
    I haven't read the leaks myself, but the Sony boss (Amy Pascal? ) wanted Elba according to the press.
    I know Elba has said the producers haven't contacted him about the job. The story is that Barbara Broccoli is open to a dark-skinned Bond and Elba is an actor who many want as Bond. That's not fake news.

Well, it’s fake news in so much as you haven’t offered any actual proof...not that I said it was - I just wanted to read anything ‘official’ from Sony/Eon that backed up your claim that Elba is/was considered for Bond...anyone else have anything...?...or IS it just fake news?

But - for absolute clarity - I do believe ‘Elba for Bond’ is total nonsense...he was wanted for Blofeld.
    YNWA 97
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Well, it’s fake news in so much as you haven’t offered any actual proof...not that I said it was - I just wanted to read anything ‘official’ from Sony/Eon that backed up your claim that Elba is/was considered for Bond...anyone else have anything...?...or IS it just fake news?

But - for absolute clarity - I do believe ‘Elba for Bond’ is total nonsense...he was wanted for Blofeld.

Ah, the Sony leaks. From the little of the "Sony Leaks" I was able to read it appeared that Amy Pascal was giving EON a hard way to go regarding the budget over runs on SPECTRE. Pascal has a reputation for making statements in emails she later regrets (as proved her undoing at Sony) and like many in power, can be a bit of a bully and provocateur. It would not be surprising that Pascal would throw something out there like endorsing Elba for Bond, even if it was just to get under Barbara Broccoli's skin or part of some power play.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Ah, the Sony leaks. From the little of the "Sony Leaks" I was able to read it appeared that Amy Pascal was giving EON a hard way to go regarding the budget over runs on SPECTRE. Pascal has a reputation for making statements in emails she later regrets (as proved her undoing at Sony) and like many in power, can be a bit of a bully and provocateur. It would not be surprising that Pascal would throw something out there like endorsing Elba for Bond, even if it was just to get under Barbara Broccoli's skin or part of some power play.

That's what it sounded like to me. Pascal was going along with what the public had been saying for a few years by that time about wanting Elba as Bond (I believe he was first mentioned in the media as a future Bond contender in 2010), and when the public heard this they thought her opinion mattered when it came to casting Bond (it didn't). It made Pascal sound like the good guy because she was saying what the public wanted to hear, and Broccoli must hate it that Elba for Bond is not going away. It's never going to go away, but it may die down after the next Bond film starring Craig's successor is a big success after release. And people are always going to be upset that Elba isn't Bond.

I do think that Broccoli is smart enough to know that many of the people who are pushing for Elba to star in a Bond film haven't seen Bond before and will still not see Bond if Elba is cast. An Idris Elba lover told me that she was excited that he was cast as Bond and was under the impression he had already made a Bond film. Those are the people who want Elba as Bond. They don't actually care about Bond, they just like the idea of an attractive black man playing a character who has always been white. These people don't know that a 50-year-old man will not be able to take over from the physical standards Daniel Craig set for the role.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Thanks for the replies, gentlemen -{ ...but I’ve still not seen a direct quote from the ‘Sony leaks’ regarding Elba...and I did read quite a bit of them myself...seems to me it’s people putting their own ‘spin’ on them, or just mis-reading them...I read all about the budget concerns and how the story had a very weak third act, plus general concerns about the script full stop.
    YNWA 97
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, gentlemen -{ ...but I’ve still not seen a direct quote from the ‘Sony leaks’ regarding Elba...and I did read quite a bit of them myself...seems to me it’s people putting their own ‘spin’ on them, or just mis-reading them...I read all about the budget concerns and how the story had a very weak third act, plus general concerns about the script full stop.

I feel that the Whole Elba thing is noise rather than signal. I also agree that he is probably pretty fed up with it. Danny's dithering and the growing belief that 25 is his last have fueled some of this. Admittedly there was speculation about Elba going back some way, in many ways he was an obvious candidate. It's all a bit predictable and at the moment I'd rather focus was on the upcoming film.Will keep away from this topic unless there is some concrete news. Enjoy if you are so inclined :)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    I think some people may be conflating two different claims - the 2015 Sony leak and the new 2018 story. The 2018 story:
    On Aug. 9, the U.K.-tabloid The Daily Star published a story stating that Equalizer franchise director Antoine Fuqua "told an industry pal" that he spoke with James Bond producer Barbara Broccoli about the future of the spy franchise.

Fuqua was said to have mentioned Idris Elba in conversation. "You need a guy with physically strong presence. Idris has that," was how the Star quotes what the Fuqua "pal" said the director had told Broccoli.

But a rep for Fuqua threw cold water on the story. "He never had a conversation with Barbara about the franchise or about any casting. It’s all made up stuff. Not sure how it got started," the rep told The Hollywood Reporter.

Assuming this is all accurate information, the story was made up. Perhaps someone from Elba's acting agency contacted The Star or someone at the Star knows Elba and wanted to give him some free publicity.

The 2015 Sony leak did mention Idris Elba:
    A leaked email from Amy Pascal, chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s motion pictures group, apparently states: “Idris should be the next Bond,” according to The Daily Beast.

Pascal was emailing Elizabeth Cantillon, the former executive vice president of production for Columbia Pictures - which distributes the Bond franchise.

Amy Pascal dismissed Henry Cavill's chances:
    Here's Amy Pascal's note:

And another thing I've been thinking on these franchise movies no one casts stars
    Downey
    Bale
    Chris Evans
    Scarlett
    Hugh jackman
    Jennifer lawrence
    Vin diesel
    Chris Pratt
    Chris hemsworth
    Daniel Craig
    Tobey
    That lame super man guy
    None of them were stars in the first movie
    So fuxk
    Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong
    In fact I am
    Let's discuss tomorrow

Amy Pascal was removed as chairman of Sony Pictures in 2016 and Sony no longer has a distribution deal with the Bond franchise.

Sam Mendes mentioned that Barbara Broccoli picks the actor, not MGM:
    “There’s this constant debate about who’s going to be the next Bond,” he told an audience.

“The truth is - and here’s the headline: it’s not a democracy. I can guarantee whatever happens with it, it will not be what you expect. Barbara Broccoli chooses who’s going to be the next Bond: end of story.

“Without that, there would be no Daniel Craig because public support for Daniel was zero. It was her saying ‘that man over there is going to change the whole thing, I’m going to cast him’.

It doesn't matter if some of the internet movie fandom want Elba as Bond - if Babs doesn't want him he won't get the part. Idris will just have to wait in the queue along with the rest of the Bond wannabes. :D
  • DanielCDanielC Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    I'm laughing at the Elba rumors. The guy is almost 50. It was a great PR move; we have to give him that.
    Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!
    https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/1028552314183999488/photo/1

See, the guy is a bit of an attention seeker. It's just his ego wanting to be stroked. Hey, that's social media for you. ;) Perfect platform for attention seeking actors.
    edited August 2018
    Idris Elba is having a joke on the whole circus, completely aware it will give him and his career more attention too. "My name is Elba, Idris Elba" indeed.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Congratulations to Idris, the amount of publicity he gets from this story, is bound to have helped him. -{
    Sadly He's too old for Bond now...…….. So he will not be the first " Black Bond " , that distinction will go to
    another younger actor. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Well curated, bonded123! Amazing what a little common sense research will turn up.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    I remember the back lash when DC got it. I was a fan of PB at the time and a blonde Bond was almost unthinkable. I remember going to see CR and thinking this will make or break the Bond franchise and coming out pleasantly surprised. Little did I know what effect Bond was going to have on my life thereafter (cost me a fortune like most here).

But that said I have identified with DC and his Bond much more than even PB or I ever thought I would. He is the Bond of my generation but all good things come to an end. But I also firmly believe once DC’s tenure does come to an end my pocket will be fuller and my interest will reduce.

I am keen to see the next instalment (maybe the last) and I do feel it’s B.B. who makes the choice (she has not done bad so far).

Whomever they chose I am sure they will have their reasons and maybe we should have a little faith.

Personally changing Bonds sex, sexual persuasion or skin colour I feel would be a step too far away from Flemings work. As they always say in BB’s house ‘if you get stuck always go back to Flemings work, the answers are there! He knew who he wanted Bond to be so stick with that, it’s worked for the last 50+ years!

As for the Elba stuff, nice guy, good PR stunt and time will tell.

Cheers :007)

P.S if Elba does get it that could be a challenge in many quarters - imagine DZ with an afro! :D
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    But that said I have identified with DC and his Bond much more than even PB or I ever thought I would. He is the Bond of my generation but all good things come to an end. But I also firmly believe once DC’s tenure does come to an end my pocket will be fuller and my interest will reduce.
    I also share this sentiment. Of course we'll see when the time comes but at the moment I suspect my Bond fandom might dwindle as well in the post Craig era.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    From my aged perspective: my Bond fandom didn't dwindle in the post Connery, post Moore, etc eras so I don't think it will now- though I very probably will... :#
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    I remember the back lash when DC got it. I was a fan of PB at the time and a blonde Bond was almost unthinkable. I remember going to see CR and thinking this will make or break the Bond franchise and coming out pleasantly surprised. Little did I know what effect Bond was going to have on my life thereafter (cost me a fortune like most here).

I am keen to see the next instalment (maybe the last) and I do feel it’s B.B. who makes the choice (she has not done bad so far).

Whomever they chose I am sure they will have their reasons and maybe we should have a little faith.

Personally changing Bonds sex, sexual persuasion or skin colour I feel would be a step too far away from Flemings work. As they always say in BB’s house ‘if you get stuck always go back to Flemings work, the answers are there! He knew who he wanted Bond to be so stick with that, it’s worked for the last 50+ years!

As for the Elba stuff, nice guy, good PR stunt and time will tell.

Cheers :007)

P.S if Elba does get it that could be a challenge in many quarters - imagine DZ with an afro! :D

I was just thinking I'd love a Bond experience video where he asks for the Idris Elba beard trim and high fade. That would be classic!
    Still waiting for the QoS haircut video, though.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    I'd be very happy to see Elba as the next Bond, but it doesn't mean I hold much hope. And I think it will be a long time before we know for sure who the next Bond will be.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    mAnd I think it will be a long time before we know for sure who the next Bond will be.

Bingo. I have no clue why everyone (outside of AJB) has been jumping on the “Idris Elba the next Bond?!?!” stories recently when we’re still over a year away from Craig’s next (and possibly last) film—they’re surely nowhere near a decision like that yet.
    +1
    DC is Bond and will be for the next couple of years. There'll
    Be no news for a long time after that.

As always I will let it be know to Michael and Barbara that I
    Stand ready to take over at a moments notice. If people want
    Firsts, ..... I'll be the first ugly old fat barsteward to play 007 :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The earliest possible anouncment of the new James Bond is after Bond25 has stopped running in cinemas. If we're very lucky we'll get a new Bond in 2020 and his first Bond movie in 2022. But I doubt it.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    PLEASE NOT IDRIS ELBA! he's added fuel to that inferno today :#
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    How?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    How?
    He's tweeted a picture of himself with "the names Elba. Idris Elba" written underneath.
    All in all a pretty innocuous thing to do, but it has a lot of people thinking it's a tease! I'd just like the whole rumour to go away. Some bookies here in the UK have even suspended bets on him being named as the new Bond.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I see he's tried to back track a little by posting " don't believe
    The hype " ..... which is funny as he started the hype ;)
    I recall a somewhat uncharitable comment attributed to Mr Elba. He was described as looking like a BT engineer coming to fix your broadband connection.
    "I've fixed your wi-fi, your router, and for no extra charge I'll be your next Bond too."

:D