Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    Let's hope Barbara Broccoli's comment about a black Bond was her "slash my wrist" moment :#

Even if they do cast a black Bond it won't be Idris Elba - he's fifteen years too old.
    Elba is a great actor and he's got a great look. But I don't think it's wise to hire an actor who "probably" will look young enough to play Bond in 2-3 movies. A standard contract for a new Bond actor is for three movies. Hiring someone who you yourself say might not have the third movie in him isn't good planning.
    Idris Elba himself says he's too old now.

I think reason Barbara Broccoli said what she said is the public mood today. If she had replied: "No chance. Bond while always be a white hetrosexual man" the public reaction would have been bad. Not the type of press they need just as they are about to make a new Bond movie.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Elba is a great actor and he's got a great look. But I don't think it's wise to hire an actor who "probably" will look young enough to play Bond in 2-3 movies. A standard contract for a new Bond actor is for three movies. Hiring someone who you yourself say might not have the third movie in him isn't good planning.
    Idris Elba himself says he's too old now.

I think reason Barbara Broccoli said what she said is the public mood today. If she had replied: "No chance. Bond while always be a white hetrosexual man" the public reaction would have been bad. Not the type of press they need just as they are about to make a new Bond movie.

Exactly.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I do suspect that people will be more willing to accept a 57-year-old Idris Elba as Bond than a 57-year-old Roger Moore. That's about how old he would be by his hypothetical 3rd Bond film.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Elba’s casting would be a publicity stunt and nothing more. EON selling away the character to the left wing blogosphere. I think if they cast a black man as Bond, they should do it because he is the best man for the job. Not because they feel pressure to force diversity on Bond. Perhaps it would have the initial effect, based on curiosity, of selling tickets. But are the people who are demanding a diverse Bond actually the people who go see Bond films? I could be sold on a black Bond under the right circumstances, but those circumstances do not presently exist.

And for what it’s worth, Elba himself has basically echoed this.
    My biggest concern after Elba’s age is his accent. Bond doesn’t sound like someone from East London. Can Elba speak something closer to RP? Bond is supposed to be posh!
    He could speak a convincing (according to a dialect coach on YouTube) Boston dialect in The Wire, so I should think so.
    Did Connery adjust his Scottish accent for any movie at all ?:)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    Gymkata wrote:
    Fair enough. The thing is, Elba really does have that 'it' factor that you're looking for when casting Bond, though. He has the presence and the physicality down without any issue, and he's got charm and charisma up the wazoo. Also...and I can't stress this enough...women LOVE the man. He's one of two 'hall passes' for my wife (the other being Tom Ellis). He'd be a definite draw in terms of putting butts in seats.

I really don’t get the ‘Elba love in’...the only half decent thing I’ve seen him in are the adverts for Sky TV, other than that - nothing ?:)
    YNWA 97
    edited August 2018
    Then you can really look forward to watching all the episodes of The Wire :)
    Number24 wrote:

He did. Compare the way he speaks in the early Bond films to how he speaks in Diamonds Are Forever. The Scottish comes out much more in Diamonds Are Forever when he got lazy.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:
    Fair enough. The thing is, Elba really does have that 'it' factor that you're looking for when casting Bond, though. He has the presence and the physicality down without any issue, and he's got charm and charisma up the wazoo. Also...and I can't stress this enough...women LOVE the man. He's one of two 'hall passes' for my wife (the other being Tom Ellis). He'd be a definite draw in terms of putting butts in seats.

I really don’t get the ‘Elba love in’...the only half decent thing I’ve seen him in are the adverts for Sky TV, other than that - nothing ?:)
    couldnt agree more with you( must be a first :)) ) check out Knightfall with Tom Cullen, really think this guy has it all to be next 007 -{
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

He did. Compare the way he speaks in the early Bond films to how he speaks in Diamonds Are Forever. The Scottish comes out much more in Diamonds Are Forever when he got lazy.

But he only changed the degree of his Scottish accent, right?
    I've seen him as a Scottish Arab, Scottish Spaniard, Scottish Russian, Scottish Norwegian.... :))
    Number24 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

But he only changed the degree of his Scottish accent, right?
    I've seen him as a Scottish Arab, Scottish Spaniard, Scottish Russian, Scottish Norwegian.... :))

He softened his Scottish accent for Bond in an attempt to sound more of a neutral British.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Yes his accent deteriorates during his tenure. Not a 'Dentashht' so speaking from no knowledge whatsoever...but as we age something happens to our bones structure and teeth that seems to alter inflection (or is it just me as I used to sound like noel Coward and now more like Danny Dyer)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,950MI6 Agent
    what films should I watch to see how Elba might play Bond?
    not just ones that he is good in, but ones where he plays a similar character.

you know, like folks used to recommend The Night Manager for Hiddleston or once upon a time Layer Cake for Craig

Knowing nothing else about the man, he's too old, and so was Roger when he got the job: Bond is supposed to retired by 45 according to the man who wrote the rules
    Wrong kind of accent is not a problem, be it too Scottish or too East London … Bond got kicked out of Eton very young and was a world traveller by twenty, his accent should be a bit messed up, not naturally posh. The ability to speak posh should be a skill he can turn on and off as part of how he does his job.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,950MI6 Agent
    I'll add it to my to-watch queue at the local library. It's a teevee series is it?
    But I don't understand how folks can say an actor would make a perfect Bond if he's never played a Bond-like role. What are you seeing that would be appropriate? Lots of actors are fascinating to watch.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,386Chief of Staff
    zaphod99 wrote:

Yes his accent deteriorates during his tenure.

Not just his tenure- through his career!

(Being a Scot, I can tell you that Connery's voice is unique: nobody in Scotland speaks exactly like him. Billy Connolly has a more normal Scottish accent.)
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Dominic West did a good job as well when doing a New England accent for THE WIRE.

So yeah, no concern there from me. I think he'd be fine. If Connery was able to adjust, I think that Elba can.

Ah, fellas, The Wire takes place in Baltimore not Boston. The accents are very different.
    Of course, my mistake..
  • Agent Double-O DanielAgent Double-O Daniel Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Gymkata wrote:
    I'd argue that Idris is indeed 'one of the best men for the job.' Opinions vary, I get that. There's a certain amount of publicity stunt around the casting of a non-white performer for the role...I absolutely agree with that...but at the same time, I truly feel that Idris objectively has the characteristics that I'd want and expect out of any actor playing the role in terms of acting ability, presence, gravitas, charisma/charm, and overall 'twinkle in the eye.'

But IMHO it doesn't change the fact that the CHARACTER is a white Brit. Has always been and always should be. That is who Bond is. I will never understand nor endorse all of this PC crap. As I have said before if they were ever to actually lose their minds and turn Bond into a black man then I would do everything possible to get a movie made with a white guy playing Shaft. Or how about a recasting of Blade to change that character just because. Where does it stop? Sometimes a part of the character 's essence is what and who they are fundamentally. To me if you change Bond's race he is no longer Bond but some other spy / agent who is a black guy.

Now nothing against Elba, he is a pretty good actor but some things should not be changed. Like a character's race or gender. Develop a new character or film idea.

Go even further, let's make Bond a woman for that matter. Sound good?
    Sorry but that last hand... Nearly killed me.
    Gymkata wrote:
    I'd argue that Idris is indeed 'one of the best men for the job.' Opinions vary, I get that. There's a certain amount of publicity stunt around the casting of a non-white performer for the role...I absolutely agree with that...but at the same time, I truly feel that Idris objectively has the characteristics that I'd want and expect out of any actor playing the role in terms of acting ability, presence, gravitas, charisma/charm, and overall 'twinkle in the eye.'

But IMHO it doesn't change the fact that the CHARACTER is a white Brit. Has always been and always should be. That is who Bond is. I will never understand nor endorse all of this PC crap. As I have said before if they were ever to actually lose their minds and turn Bond into a black man then I would do everything possible to get a movie made with a white guy playing Shaft. Or how about a recasting of Blade to change that character just because. Where does it stop? Sometimes a part of the character 's essence is what and who they are fundamentally. To me if you change Bond's race he is longer Bond but some other spy / agent who is a black guy.

Now nothing against Elba, he is a pretty good actor but some things should not be changed. Like a character's race or gender. Develop a new character or film idea.

• bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Idris Elba made a recent BBC tv show about the history of racing cars. In one episode he tried out rally driving. He was convinced he'd be able to master it quickly. He didn't. He crashed the car on his first attempt. He had a few goes and he did manage to stay on the track but had to admit it wasn't as easy as it looked. My point is he came over as arrogant and his ego got a real reality check when he was fairly useless at rally driving. It made him look rather foolish and I couldn't help but feel this is his view on getting Bond:

"I'm a popular actor, I'm bound to be good at Bond."

Well, if it's anything like your rally driving, you'll be awful in the role, Idris. I just don't see why he is considered 'one of the best men for the job'. As for his charisma, imho he didn't have any in The Dark Tower. A film that has has Rotten Tomatoes score of 16 percent. The Dark Tower is arguably Elba's best break in to Hollywood big league movies and he didn't step up to the plate. I think he's no different to Henry Cavill - all talk, little substance.
    Gymkata wrote:

But IMHO it doesn't change the fact that the CHARACTER is a white Brit. Has always been and always should be. That is who Bond is. I will never understand nor endorse all of this PC crap. As I have said before if they were ever to actually lose their minds and turn Bond into a black man then I would do everything possible to get a movie made with a white guy playing Shaft. Or how about a recasting of Blade to change that character just because. Where does it stop? Sometimes a part of the character 's essence is what and who they are fundamentally. To me if you change Bond's race he is longer Bond but some other spy / agent who is a black guy.

I think Elba is better than pretty good, but other than that I agree. Bond is a white, hetrosexual male.
    I don't think it really serves women or people from other ethnic groups to "hijack" existing roles.
    Develop their own heroes like Katnis in Hunger Games or Blade.
    My guess is the next Bond will not be Tom Hardy, Tom Hiddleston, Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill, Idris Elba, Aidan Turner. These actors come with no 'surprise' value. We've seen them too many times. I reckon it will be a less well-known actor, possibly one that has never been asked "do you want to play James Bond?"

If a relatively unknown black actor impressed Barbara Broccoli I think he could be cast. I don't think that actor will be Idris Elba. Someone younger with less film work.
    Number24 wrote:

I think Elba is better than pretty good, but other than that I agree. Bond is a white, hetrosexual male.
    I don't think it really serves women or people from other ethnic groups to "hijack" existing roles.

Yes. I hope I didn't sound too offensive, that was not my intent. I just feel that to change a character that fundamentally just for the sake of saying, " Hey, see we are so open , sensitive and with the times that we changed a well established, iconic character 's race / gender." It's madness.

Btw I absolutely love Katniss and the Hunger Games movies in general. Jennifer Lawrence 's portrayal of Katniss Everdeen was wonderful. She brought the character from the book trilogy to life.
    Number24 wrote:

Yes. I hope I didn't sound too offensive, that was not my intent. I just feel that to change a character that fundamentally just for the sake of saying, " Hey, see we are so open , sensitive and with the times that we changed a well established, iconic character 's race / gender." It's madness. .

It's happened with BBC show Doctor Who. For the first time in the show's very long history the new Doctor is a woman. :s The show is on air this autumn/fall so it will be interesting to see fan reaction. I think there are some tenuous links between Bond and the Doctor. Both enduring British heroes, both deeply rooted in British pop culture.
    Number24 wrote:

Yes. I hope I didn't sound too offensive, that was not my intent. I just feel that to change a character that fundamentally just for the sake of saying, " Hey, see we are so open , sensitive and with the times that we changed a well established, iconic character 's race / gender." It's madness.

Btw I absolutely love Katniss and the Hunger Games movies in general. Jennifer Lawrence 's portrayal of Katniss Everdeen was wonderful. She brought the character from the book trilogy to life.

I wasn't offended, I simply agreed :)
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I wasn't offended, I simply agreed :)

Oh no I didn't direct that to you specifically. I wrote that just in case someone else comes along to read it. But I'm glad you weren't either. :)) Cheers. -{
    If I were ultra cynical I'd suggest that Elba's agent or people close to him actively marketed this new story just to bring his name back into the media. If you Google:

"Idris Elba James Bond"

- it comes up with the new story about Broccoli considering him for Bond. The story has been denied but even if it is fake news (which it appears to be) it's publicity for Elba. People may have forgotten about him as a potential Bond but now he's back in the news! Make up a fake story, put it out there and free publicity. Elba can spend the weekend checking online to see what people think of him as "the next Bond."