Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Craig will probably do two more. :))
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    How?
    He's tweeted a picture of himself with "the names Elba. Idris Elba" written underneath.
    All in all a pretty innocuous thing to do, but it has a lot of people thinking it's a tease! I'd just like the whole rumour to go away. Some bookies here in the UK have even suspended bets on him being named as the new Bond.

Wasn't that yesterday? Thanks anyway.
    I see he's tried to back track a little by posting " don't believe
    The hype " ..... which is funny as he started the hype ;)

I don't think he started the hype.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He posted " Elba, Idris Elba" under a photo of himself and the interweb went wild.
    If that's not starting it, I don't know what is :)) He KNOWS he's been linked to
    the role for years. Great move by him by the way, keeps his name in the papers,
    which always helps on pay negotiations for up coming roles ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    He's perpetuating this non story if nothing else. Elba will be 46 this year, 47 by the time Bond 25 hits the screen, and probably 49 by the time eon are ready for a new actor! That in itself should rule him out! As for a Black actor playing Bond? Just why? What's the point? Just write a new character with a decent back story and make a different film, it does nothing but just panders to the whims of certain people.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    How?
    He's tweeted a picture of himself with "the names Elba. Idris Elba" written underneath.
    All in all a pretty innocuous thing to do, but it has a lot of people thinking it's a tease! I'd just like the whole rumour to go away. Some bookies here in the UK have even suspended bets on him being named as the new Bond.

Wasn't that yesterday? Thanks anyway.

I only saw it for the first time this morning. And no-one else had posted about it.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I've been seeing a number of my female Facebook friends post about these Idris Elba rumours. They're all very excited about this, even though they say they've never seen a Bond film before. They claim this will get them to go to their first Bond film.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    "The names Dyer, Danny Dyer" :v .... :)) :))
    He posted " Elba, Idris Elba" under a photo of himself and the interweb went wild.
    If that's not starting it, I don't know what is :)) He KNOWS he's been linked to
    the role for years. Great move by him by the way, keeps his name in the papers,
    which always helps on pay negotiations for up coming roles ;)

"He KNOWS he's been linked the role for years." In other words:his tweet yesterday didn't start it.
    It started the present frenzy . 8-)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Or did Barbara Broccoli with her comment to the press? It's very hard to say how and when this started.
    I think Elba enjoys the attention and hopes it will be good for his career, but he knows he's too old. He has said so at least once.
    Number24 wrote:
    Or did Barbara Broccoli with her comment to the press? It's very hard to say how and when this started.
    I think Elba enjoys the attention and hopes it will be good for his career, but he knows he's too old. He has said so at least once.

It wasn't Broccoli's comment. The only quotes from her is that "it is time" for a non-white Bond and it “will happen eventually”. Elba's name is mentioned "with Idris Elba a reported frontrunner for the role." That wording (reported) sounds like Elba is coming up because of the media talking so much about Elba being the next Bond for the past 10 years. Antoine Fuqua later added Elba's name to the Independent. There are many ways this can be interpreted, but the "eventually" part makes me think that's it's not something Broccoli wants to do.
    edited August 2018
    I agree on everything you just wrote.
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    Amazing how much attention the Idris Elba rumors get. 1 simple search on the man's age and you should know better.

That said, I am becoming more convinced that Henry Cavill has developed enough to play Bond. I had my doubts in the beginneng because of his acting style, but having watched him in M:I-6 and in recent interviews, he has developed more of a personality that makes him a good candidate for the role. Age-wise makes more sense also. And of course, he always had the looks to play Bond.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Craig will probably do two more. :))

Please God no. Age is really against him I feel. He'll probably pull off 25 particularly if the narrative supports an older Bond. My guess is that you are being provocative and a tad naughty :)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    "He'll probably pull off 25 "...… is that part of the audition process ? {:)
    edited August 2018
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

It wasn't Broccoli's comment. The only quotes from her is that "it is time" for a non-white Bond and it “will happen eventually”. Elba's name is mentioned "with Idris Elba a reported frontrunner for the role." That wording (reported) sounds like Elba is coming up because of the media talking so much about Elba being the next Bond for the past 10 years. Antoine Fuqua later added Elba's name to the Independent. There are many ways this can be interpreted, but the "eventually" part makes me think that's it's not something Broccoli wants to do.

The whole thing was fake news! Fuqua’s reps have denied the original story. And I posted the link to that story in this thread. Why are we still acting like the conversation with Babs even happened??
    Because there is hardy any news and we are desperate Bond nerds.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:

:))
    You know BB didn’t address the press at all about this...this is the most stupid game of Chinese whispers in years :)) nobody says anything directly yet people swear they heard/read it - just bizarre ?:)
    YNWA 97
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

The whole thing was fake news! Fuqua’s reps have denied the original story. And I posted the link to that story in this thread. Why are we still acting like the conversation with Babs even happened??

Ah, I didn't know all of it was fake. It's obvious that some of that article was made up. Should have know that when some of it is dodgy, I shouldn't believe any of it.
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Ah, I didn't know all of it was fake. It's obvious that some of that article was made up. Should have know that when some of it is dodgy, I shouldn't believe any of it.

It’s an honest mistake. The fake story gets tons of traction with media while the story debunking it goes unnoticed. And on top of that, the subject of the fake story actually jumps in to troll people and encourage them that it’s real. Basically 2018 in a nutshell.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Miles Messervy wrote:

It’s an honest mistake. The fake story gets tons of traction with media while the story debunking it goes unnoticed. And on top of that, the subject of the fake story actually jumps in to troll people and encourage them that it’s real. Basically 2018 in a nutshell.

The internet has become the greatest tool of propaganda, fakery, misinformation and exaggeration. Donald Trump exploited the internet through social media to promote the concept of fake news:
    Thundering that the media is the “fake, fake disgusting news,” President Donald Trump unleashed a torrent of grievances Thursday at a Pennsylvania campaign rally in which he cast journalists as his true political opponent.

“What ever happened to the free press? What ever happened to honest reporting?” Trump asked, pointing to the media in the back of the room. “They don’t report it. They only make up stories.”

You could argue his presidency is defined by the above quotes. There are websites that fact check every Trump claim and dismiss most as fake. The Washington Post claims:

"President Trump has made 4229 false or misleading claims in 558 days."

:D

Yesterday, Trump attacked these fact checker sources as fake:
    “And I’ve been here, right? I’ve been here for less than two years,” the president continued. “I can tell you and they will go and check it. The one thing with them, they fact-check. Even their fact-checking is wrong. If I am right or if I’m 97.3% right, they will say he’s got a pinocchio or he is lying. Oh, they are bad people.”

The “pinocchio” Trump referred to was the Washington Post’s fact-checking section. When looking into a claim made by a someone they will rate the validity of the claim on a scale of one pinocchios to four pinocchios, with four being the most false type of statement.

It's true, no it's not, yes it is - the cycle never ends. 8-) Good luck trying to find the actual truth!

Regarding the new Idris Elba claim - my feeling is Barbara Broccoli will never cast an actor that keeps promoting himself online. Elba, Cavill, Hiddleston, Turner have all used the internet to promote themselves as future Bonds. Elba, Cavill and Turner arguably the most vocal. If someone close to Elba was responsible for this new claim I think it's backfired and will scupper his chances. Elba's profile may have increased because of this new claim but I don't think it will bring him any nearer to the role. Barbara Broccoli knows Elba is, for lack of a better word, "desperate" to be the next James Bond. Same is true of Henry Cavill. I don't think "desperation" is a good way to win any role and my gut feeling is Broccoli will cast someone less vocal, less desperate.
    I don't get the feeling Idris Elba is promoting himself as Bond. I read his "Elba, Idris Elba" tweet as a joke on the media frenzy. When many took it seriously he tweeted: "Don't believe the hype".
    He has also said interviews that he's too old.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't get the feeling Idris Elba is promoting himself as Bond. I read his "Elba, Idris Elba" tweet as a joke on the media frenzy. When many took it seriously he tweeted: "Don't believe the hype".
    He has also said interviews that he's too old.

The case against Idris Elba as a James Bond...

I put it the jury that the aforementioned Mr. Elba has a desperate desire to become the next James Bond and expressed that desire numerous times over the course of this decade. To wit:
    In an interview with US broadcaster NPR in 2011, he said: “Sean Connery wasn’t the Scottish James Bond and Daniel Craig wasn’t the blue-eyed James Bond, so if I played him, I don’t want to be called the black James Bond.”

2013 -
    As for a life as 007, he told GQ magazine: ‘It’s a rumour. And, I have to tell you, if the producers of Bond thought that I was self-campaigning, it would be such a turn-off. ‘I’m flattered, obviously but I’ve been advised to just pipe down about it. Apparently, Daniel Craig said I’d be a great Bond. Daniel, why did you say that? Dropped me right in it! What an honour it would be, but also, what an indication of change.

https://metro.co.uk/2013/02/03/idris-elba-i-dont-get-my-sex-appeal-but-im-up-for-playing-james-bond-3379332/

2014 -
    “I’ve always detested the phrase ‘black Bond’, I just don’t understand it,” he said in his 2014 interview on Lorraine. “We don’t say ‘white Bond’, we just say ‘Bond’ so it suddenly becomes a black man and he’s a ‘black Bond’ so I hate that phrase.”

2015 -
    At first it was harmless – oh, I know, wouldn’t it be great? – and now it’s started off racial debates. I’m probably the most famous Bond actor in the world, and I’ve not even played the role. Enough is enough. I can’t talk about it any more.”

2016 -
    Elba, who is currently on the big screen in Star Trek Beyond, told ABC's Good Morning America: "I think I'm too old for that."Running around in cars and ladies and martinis, who wants to do that? Sounds terrible."The oldest actor in the film's history to have taken on the role of James Bond was Roger Moore, who was 45 when he appeared in his first film - 1973's Live and Let Die.Elba, famous for his roles in Luther and The Wire, said he has not been contacted by the James Bond team about the possibility of joining the franchise."I keep saying if it were to happen it would be the will of a nation because there haven't been any talks between me and the studio about any of that," he said."But everywhere I go people want that to happen."

2017 -
    Now in an interview The New York Times, the actor who could be the first black Bond has revealed what annoys him about the rumours he’ll replace Craig.

The 45-year-old said: “It's interesting that the James Bond thing continues to go.”Elba continued: “I think it's more about, we just want to have a black guy play James Bond rather than Idris Elba, the actor, play James Bond.

“That's the part that I'm like, 'Ugh, come on’.”Controversially the star also jokingly admitted he liked his martinis the opposite to Bond.He added: “I like them stirred. Not shaken. Jesus Christ, did I just say that out loud?”Last month Elba underrated his chances of ever playing 007.Idris Elba would be at least 50-years-old if he was cast as James Bond Elba said: “I think not, but you really need to ask the producers. Like I can just (mimes making a telephone call), 'Hey, I’m gonna play Bond next! No, it’s Idris. Hello?’ No one wants it.”

2018 - https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/1028552314183999488/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1028552314183999488&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fnewsbeat-45161852
    Idris Elba

@idriselba
    my name’s Elba, Idris Elba.

9:02 AM - Aug 12, 2018

I put it to the jury that Mr. Elba is suffering from an egomaniacal, delusional state. He has created a convincing and persistent illusion that he alone is heir apparent to the Bond throne. Allow me to quote from Mr. Elba:

"Everywhere I go people want that to happen,"

"I’m probably the most famous Bond actor in the world,"

He has fostered this illusion for several years and allowed the media to exploit his fantasy.

During the last few years Mr. Elba has expressed a strong desire to be the next Bond, has expressed a desire that everywhere he goes people want him to be the next James Bond. When he has felt this tactic has not worked he has tried reverse psychology to infer he's too old to play Bond and that a black James Bond is a tag undeserving of an actor of his repute. Be through direct or indirect means he has allowed endless fake news items to be put on the internet promoting him as the next James Bond.

Members of the jury, there is only one logical conclusion you can reach... Mr. Idris Elba has a desperate, narcissistic desire to become the next James Bond. I ask the members of the jury to say "no" to Idris Elba as the next James Bond. James Bond fans deserve better.
    I guess the real issue is: does Elba talk about James Bond because he desperately wants to be Bond or because journalists ask him about Bond a lot? I'm not sure what's really happening.

"Everywhere I go people want it to happen" and "I'm probably the most famous Bond actor i the world". He should probably not have said that. But American members of this forum have said many people over there actually belive Elba is already cast as James Bond and are waiting for the film to come out.
    You have to remember the context of his comments.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

You know BB didn’t address the press at all about this...this is the most stupid game of Chinese whispers in years :)) nobody says anything directly yet people swear they heard/read it - just bizarre ?:)
    Do you have a source that prove Barbara Broccoli didn't say what the press claims about a black Bond?
    I will be relived if it has been debunked :)
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Do you have a source that prove Barbara Broccoli didn't say what the press claims about a black Bond?
    I will be relived if it has been debunked :)

See post 418 in this thread where I responded to you.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I guess the real issue is: does Elba talk about James Bond because he desperately wants to be Bond or because journalists ask him about Bond a lot? I'm not sure what's really happening.

It's the second one.

He's asked about it in literally every interview. Tabloids weave something out of nothing and it gets everyone talking - and eventually putting the question to Elba. That's not his fault, and at that point he's free to take the piss when and how he wants ("Elba, Idris Elba"). If he's not in the running (and there's no running, so he's not), he has no responsibility to be silent on the matter.
    edited August 2018

See post 418 in this thread where I responded to you.

Thanks. I was under the impression that Barbara Broccoli saying to the press that she was open to a black James Bond and the rumour that she had mentioned Elba to Antoine Faqua (I never really belived that one and I knew it was debunked) were two seprate stories. Aparently not. I'm very concious about checking sources and stories when it comes to politics, but not so much when it comes to Bond movies. Seems like I must become better at this. :#
    While I'm no fan of a black James Bond, I did notice an interesting question in MI6community:

-if Daniel Craig was black, would CR still be more Flemingesqe than DAD?

What do you think?