The UK General Election [8 June 2017]

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Anne Perkins of the Guardian writes "This is no general election, it's a coup"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/18/general-election-coup-mps-theresa-may
    A coup indeed!! Remarkable hysterical reporting as usual.

Anna Perkins didn't write this in a news report, but in a comment. That being said, I disagree with her on this issue. It's perfectly legal for her to call an election now, and it's no coup at all.
    It certainly isn't, and if parliament votes it through today it's as far removed from a coup as you can get. I hate the sensationalist approach of journalists and reporters.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    I couldn't stand the excitement of six months of electioneering ! :D

I know. It'd put the best of us "away"!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I couldn't stand the excitement of six months of electioneering ! :D

If it were only that in the US! We have to listen to people for three times that!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    which ever party does not ban diesels gets my vote :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Opposition coalition? That would terrible. Brexit is happening wether we like it or not. The politicians should stop grand standing and work together to make it as smooth and successful as possible for the UK AND THE EU. Corbyn believes he can end austerity and care for all by reducing tax for all but the very wealthy.... Who will up sticks and move elsewhere and borrowing billions because money is cheap to borrow at the moment, great long term plan that is, oh and in the current global aggressive mood he'd still attempt to scrap our defence deterrent.

I'm sure the rudder was to legal requirements, just like the lifeboats :007)

To my honourable colleague ,Re opposition coalition, I make reference to having a Government that cannot just steamroller through draconian policy. Brexit is happening, done and dusted. But it is important that it is not done duster and dust pan! A coalition government would ensure a degree of answership to the people.
    A flat out Conservative Government is conservative to everyone except themselves.

But I repeat my earlier question why does the UKIP party still exist? Their mandate is almost over. We are almost out of the EU and nothing changes that now.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I am amazed, that during the short period of difficult and complicated Brexit negotiations ( not less than 18 months), she finds the time to do 6 months of campaigning?

And didn't she clearly rule out earlier parliament elections?
    Amazing how 'flexible' she is with her standpoints, during the Cameron reign, she was pro EU.

Actually it's about six weeks of campaigning. And during the Cameron period she was NOT pro EU, exactly the opposite, but unlike many unloyal members, she towed the party line. It's a good move as it removes many obstacles in her path when negotiations really start. We are leaving, best to have the best footing before it all kicks off. The GE will ensure that.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Opposition coalition? That would terrible. Brexit is Haakon pening wether we like it or not. The politicians should stop grand standing and work together to make it as smooth and successful as possible for the UK AND THE EU. Corbyn believes he can end austerity and care for all by reducing tax for all but the very wealthy.... Who will up sticks and move elsewhere and borrowing billions because money is cheap to borrow at the moment, great long term plan that is, oh and in the current global aggressive mood he'd still attempt to scrap our defence deterrent.

I'm sure the rudder was to legal requirements, just like the lifeboats :007)

To my honourable colleague ,Re opposition coalition, I make reference to having a Government that cannot just steamroller through draconian policy. Brexit is happening, done and dusted. But it is important that it is not done duster and dust pan! A coalition government would ensure a degree of answership to the people.
    A flat out Conservative Government is conservative to everyone except themselves.

But I repeat my earlier question why does the UKIP party still exist? Their mandate is almost over. We are almost out of the EU and nothing changes that now.

I too wonder how this will impact on UKIP, both on the short term and longer into the future.
    UKIP will keep together until we have left the EU. It would be premature for them to disband before this has happened as we are still to go through the most important process of the divorce. Until then, they still have validity.
    Can they remain a factor by continuing to talk about immigration (that issue won't go away) and perhaps finding other issues?
    Immigration is a huge concern and while that topic remains foremost in the minds of the UK public, they'll have relevance. But they do have other valid points that just aren't as newsworthy, so don't get banged on about as much. In a world where it's not considered au fait to talk about immigration in a negative way, and many people fear doing so. At least they do. You can only fit so many people into a McDonalds before it starts to run out of food, drink, chairs, floorspace and eventually air.
    I don't think this is the time or place to debate immigration in general. But the future of UKIP interests me. Do you think the party will grow or shrink after Brexit? How will they do in the upcoming election?
    I'm not debating immigration, just informing you that it's a huge UK focus point.

I hate the term Brexit, what are we? five year olds? It seems everything now has to have a childlike symbol or word associated with it, why is everyone so afraid of growing up and becoming adults?

That aside, the party will shrink and then dissolve from now until the day we officially exit the EU. That's their job, until we become fully independent. They still have a relevance, it's in their name UKIP. We aren't independent yet, we just started that ball rolling.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I'm not debating immigration, just informing you that it's a huge UK focus point.

I hate the term Brexit, what are we? five year olds? It seems everything now has to have a childlike symbol or word associated with it, why is everyone so afraid of growing up and becoming adults?

That aside, the party will shrink and then dissolve from now until the day we officially exit the EU. That's their job, until we become fully independent. They still have a relevance, it's in their name UKIP. We aren't independent yet, we just started that ball rolling.

My name is Chriscoop and Im also a hater of the term brexit.
    If Finland leaves the EU, would that be Fixit? :D
    Number24 wrote:

Italy is QiuItaly ,France is FRexit ,Greece is GRexit , im just glad Serbia wants to stay :D
    Number24 wrote:

Italy is QiuItaly ,France is FRexit ,Greece is GRexit , im just glad Serbia wants to stay :D
    :)) :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure that the 20-point lead is all it seems. It is based on who would you rather see as PM. Not even Lab and Lib Dem supporters would actually want their leader to be PM...

That said, the Conservative advantage frees folk to vote as they please. Last time round, I got the impression many were voting to get revenge on the Lib Dems for tuition fees, and tactically to avoid Ed Milliband as PM, which many pollsters wrongly anticipated. Those two factors unexpectedly afforded David Cameron a small majority, and they won't be factors this time round.

The general election should not distract voters from the Council elections in early May. It is with local Councils that many of the Central Government cuts will be felt, and as so many councillors are unknown and largely unaccountable, it gives them free rein to do as they please. Some councils, such as Surrey, are a one-party state which means the Conservatives can head up all the scrutiny committees while the others don't get a look in.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Some commentators say this election will be really bad for Labour because they're moved too far to the left.
    LibDems might even get mote votes than they do. Can it happen?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think the sheer animal magnetism, charisma and unbridled sexuality of Tim Farron will shine
    Through ! It's about time we had our own "Putin" ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Just hope you don't get Jim. :o
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

I believe the technical term is "cockwomble"....
    Barbel wrote:
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

I believe the technical term is "cockwomble"....
    That's the correct term, the technical term is "clueless"
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    Appropriate enough, I'd say!
    Number24 wrote:

I really, honestly didn't get that one :s
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Google "jim'll fix it" and also "jimmy Saville"

For jimmy Saville read: predatory, vile, depraved sexual misfit and rapist.
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

It's a British thing. I just couldn't pass up the chance to use it.
    edited April 2017
    Now I get it. I've heard of Saville. It's very warm where he is now X-(
    Number24 wrote:
    Now I get it. I've heard of Saville. It's very warm where he is now X-( s

Yes, he won't be asking to get moved closer to the fire I'm pretty certain.
    No doubt,come the day of voting ,instead of making it a public holiday so every one can vote ,no every one will have to go to work ,and when they all get home at 8pm ,due to train strikes ect ,and then cant be bothered to go out to vote ,and when only 60 % of the population turns out to vote ,some idiot in the government will say "OH why did we have such a low turn out that's not the result we wanted ,and then it all goes wrong again like the brexit vote .
    No doubt,come the day of voting ,instead of making it a public holiday so every one can vote ,no every one will have to go to work ,and when they all get home at 8pm ,due to train strikes ect ,and then cant be bothered to go out to vote ,and when only 60 % of the population turns out to vote ,some idiot in the government will say "OH why did we have such a low turn out that's not the result we wanted ,and then it all goes wrong again like the brexit vote .

Fair enough I suppose, though I would say that the Brexit vote went right. -{