The UK General Election [8 June 2017]

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Pound sterling is already nose diving! if the exit poll bears out expect the ftse to plummet tomorrow also.

A well hung parliament would be a good thing! I think Cromwell wanted to hang parliament once upon a time :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    "When the Gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers"
    The old proverb seems very apropriate for UKIP now.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's not nose diving, but rather descending in a " Strong and Stable " manner. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well maybe we will see funding for all and we may be re entering the Eu or should I say not leaving?
    We may have only temporarily withdrawn, so our reentry will be more enjoyable .....
    .... should keep Higgins happy. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I strongly doubt the UK will stay in the EU because of this election result, but negotiations will be more difficult and slower. The government will need to go back and ask coalition parties or even parliament many times during negotiations. In short Britain will be weaker in the Brexit negotiations.
    Number24 wrote:
    I strongly doubt the UK will stay in the EU because of this election result, but negotiations will be more difficult and slower. The government will need to go back and ask coalition parties or even parliament many times during negotiations. In short Britain will be weaker in the Brexit negotiations.
    Ah yes, but the students who have turned out to vote aren't interested in things like that! They were voting for more beer money....
    Er I mean no tuition fees ;)
    Then it's ironic Corbyn never drinks :))
    Corbyn does not smoke, Corbyn does not drink ....... What do you do Corbyn ? :D
    He doesn't eat meat either. They say he talks to the IRA and Hamas, so he isn't a completely bore.
    :))
    Corbyn does make love to diane Abbot
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,448Chief of Staff

{[] {[] {[] :)) :)) :))
    We may have only temporarily withdrawn, so our reentry will be more enjoyable .....
    .... should keep Higgins happy. :D

Nah, that ain't going to happen. (He'd have less to argue about.)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited June 2017
    That would be the best thing for the UK people (and for Europe) to do - however I don't think that it's gonna happen.

Barbel, I can assure you that there still would be enough reasons to argue for me , so you don't have to be afraid to get obsolete as a mod here :p so you have nothing to be afraid of :p

As things are, the exit negotiations will not happen in the next weeks - so less to argue about for me - and the UK people will be back to the voting stations again very soon :D

I hope that there will be a programme now to reverse the BREXIT decision and I am very optimistic about the outcome.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    What I don't understand is, that CNN speculated about a coalition between the Tories and the SNP.
    As far as I know, the SNP has very different opinions that don't match at all with May's agenda, is a coalition with the SNP realistic?

Tories and Dup is what is being talked about, the most pertinent thing is Will Bojo be the next prime minister?
    ... if BoJo doesn't change his mind again.

My feeling is that he refused the job because he knew that it'd be very complicated after the Brexit decision and that he could only lose under those circumstances.

I can't see a better Status Quo after yesterday's elections - there is not much to win in the years to come I am afraid.

You're right there isn't much to win, but I'm of the view that with a more equal share of the vote in the commons the country will get a brexit that suits more people, also if the DUP do align with the tories it strengthens the union of the UK.
    Also if Boris were to become tory leader and therefore pm he would run a very different campaign a more positive one and possibly one that voters would take to. May ran an awful campaign IMHO and to say this morning that the country needs a time of stability flies in the face of her decision to call the election. We needed that stability after the Brexit vote.
    Corbyn ran a campaign offering everything to everybody which Labour would always struggle to deliver. But again this result just proves how ill informed and short sighted the British voters really are. The tories lost to students wanting free university and people not wanting to pay for their own care in later life. In the UK the mood seems to be, we want it all but we don't want to pay for it.
    Higgins wrote:
    What I don't understand is, that CNN speculated about a coalition between the Tories and the SNP.
    As far as I know, the SNP has very different opinions that don't match at all with May's agenda, is a coalition with the SNP realistic?

I don't think so.
    my opinion about BoJo is that people are glorifying his much more than he's able to deliver.

He knows that well (I call him a bag of wind) and is afraid that his magic will be ripped away when people are facing the reality.

As for the vote, I know that education and care where big topics along with security, but wasn't that election all about strenghtening May in the Brexit negotiations?

I know the mood of "Stick to the referendum" and "don't make politics agains the majority", but I'd object that the rules have significantly changed after the facts are really on the table and the voters should have a chance to make a better informed choice.

And I don't disagree with your comment about the short sighted votes of the UK people ;)

Imagine there was a populist like Trump in the UK tomorrow promising to fight against the political establishment. I think, that he'd be very successfully :o

Asp9mm wrote:

Actually it's about six weeks of campaigning. And during the Cameron period she was NOT pro EU, exactly the opposite, but unlike many unloyal members, she towed the party line. It's a good move as it removes many obstacles in her path when negotiations really start. We are leaving, best to have the best footing before it all kicks off. The GE will ensure that.

Just pulling up Asp9mm's comment from 19th April just to show how daft and stupidly wrong he always is :)) :)) :))

can anybody explain me what that it is all about that clown in the background on the right?

9ncwlpyje6tgyr6eydkkrztsqhswo-dg-small.jpg

Probably the candidate for the Monster Raving Looney Party.
    Absolutely correct 24, basically the monster raving looney party is a protest party, created by screaming Lord such I think
    Higgins wrote:
    my opinion about BoJo is that people are glorifying his much more than he's able to deliver.

He knows that well (I call him a bag of wind) and is afraid that his magic will be ripped away when people are facing the reality.

As for the vote, I know that education and care where big topics along with security, but wasn't that election all about strenghtening May in the Brexit negotiations?

I know the mood of "Stick to the referendum" and "don't make politics agains the majority", but I'd object that the rules have significantly changed after the facts are really on the table and the voters should have a chance to make a better informed choice.

And I don't disagree with your comment about the short sighted votes of the UK people ;)

Imagine there was a populist like Trump in the UK tomorrow promising to fight against the political establishment. I think, that he'd be very successfully :o

I'd disagree about Bojo, his public personality betrays what is a very shrewd political mind, bearing in mind he became the mayor of London TWICE, which given Londons almost total left leaning sentiment, shows he is likable to the the electorate. I would wager if he had run as pm in this election we would have seen the tory landslide that was predicted and a more centrist manifesto, which in my opinion May got horribly wrong. As Labour shifted dramatically left and vacated any central ground the tories should have moved to a more central political stance
    I don't object, that BoJo is a likeable person and he's a tremendous entertainer.

However, in my opinion that's not enough to steer the UK thru the coming rough waters and he obviously knows it. Otherwise, he'd taken the job right after the referendum. He had that chance back then but said no.

And let's not forget, that in his heart and before he joined the Brexit bandwaggon (because of questionable motives) he was pro-EU.

Higgins wrote:
    I don't object, that BoJo is a likeable person and he's a tremendous entertainer.

However, in my opinion that's not enough to steer the UK thru the coming rough waters and he obviously knows it. Otherwise, he'd taken the job right after the referendum. He had that chance back then but said no.

And let's not forget, that in his heart and before he joined the Brexit bandwaggon (because of questionable motives) he was pro-EU.
    He had no chance of getting the job last time due to betrayal of his key support, and he stood down in the interest of the country as opposed to pursuing personal gain I think, it also meant he wasn't defeated, a good play I think.
    Yes he was pro Eu, but admits to changing tact due to what he witnessed in Brussels.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    In the UK the mood seems to be, we want it all but we don't want to pay for it.

Sounds a bit like the UK as an EU member - before and after Brexit :p

Only we did pay didn't we, unlike the majority of member states if we are being factual about things. :007)
    Germany will have to take up the slack, ...... Once again. :#