Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    92% of Esquire readers are happy Lea Seydoux is returning to Bond25: :D

https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a25433130/lea-seydoux-ben-whishaw-ralph-fiennes-and-the-gang-will-return-for-bond-25/

In other news, Ben Whishaw will be on the Graham Norton Show on Friday 21st of December.

Ralph Fiennes:
    https://washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/ralph-fiennes-sophie-okonedo-spar-in-antony-and-cleopatra/2018/12/05/fdaf6004-f8a6-11e8-8642-c9718a256cbd_story.html

Next year he’ll return to the cloak-and-dagger world of James Bond for a third outing as spymaster M.

Fiennes is not about to let any 007 secrets slip. He says Bond filming — delayed by the departure of director Danny Boyle and his replacement by Cary Fukunaga — is supposed to start in spring. He insists he has yet to see a script.
    I get that she is power hot and we all have seen her naked, but I think bringing back Lea is a really bad choice. Bond never brings a girl back. I know she was not really a "Bond Girl" but still... We can all just rewatch Blue is the Warmest color and call it a day.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I too urge memebers to watch "Blue is the warmest colour" if they admire the esthetics of the female form and are accepting of sapphic love :D

I didn't want Madeline to return either, but since she does I hope they do it in a smart way. Many seem to want her to die in the PTS and Bond spending the rest of the movie revenging her. I think they forget Bond spent most of CR and QoS doing htat story. I want something new!
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It's a possibility Blofeld manages to send out a message from prison that he wants Madeleine killed. Partly because she's Mr. White's daughter, but mostly to get revenge on Bond. The move could then be about keeping Madeline alive, not revenging her. There would have to be some other plot line too, one with a grander goal.

The return of Madeleine certainly throws up some interesting possibilities. For the purposes of wild speculation, here's some plot ideas

1. Madeleine is kidnapped and Bond has to spring Blofeld from prison, and then reverse this in the second half of the film.

2. Blofeld escapes prison, Madeleine is kidnapped and Bond blackmailed into carryng out a mission for Spectre, maybe bringing him into conflct with MI6, and then he has to undo the damage in the second half of the film, including save Madeleine.

3. Bond is kidnapped and Madeleine has to carry out a mission for Spectre/spring Blofeld from prison.

4. Blofeld or Spectre is not in the film at all, it's an entirely different villain and Bond is working for the CIA for some reason, and the villain goes after Madeleine in the second half.

5. A more evil villain threatens UK and Bond and Madeleine have to team up with Spectre/Blofeld to defeat this greater threat.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a25433130/lea-seydoux-ben-whishaw-ralph-fiennes-and-the-gang-will-return-for-bond-25/

In other news, Ben Whishaw will be on the Graham Norton Show on Friday 21st of December.

Ralph Fiennes:
    https://washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/ralph-fiennes-sophie-okonedo-spar-in-antony-and-cleopatra/2018/12/05/fdaf6004-f8a6-11e8-8642-c9718a256cbd_story.html

Next year he’ll return to the cloak-and-dagger world of James Bond for a third outing as spymaster M.

Fiennes is not about to let any 007 secrets slip. He says Bond filming — delayed by the departure of director Danny Boyle and his replacement by Cary Fukunaga — is supposed to start in spring. He insists he has yet to see a script.
    I get that she is power hot and we all have seen her naked, but I think bringing back Lea is a really bad choice. Bond never brings a girl back. I know she was not really a "Bond Girl" but still... We can all just rewatch Blue is the Warmest color and call it a day.

Vesper was brought back to Quantum of Solace in memory. All other characters in Craig's Bond films that haven't come back had completed stories. If a main character's story isn't completed, they return. So far in Craig's universe, he has not had a girl to bring back because they had mostly died. The ones that had moved on before the film ended. Forgetting about Madeleine would not be consistent with the way Craig's Bond films do things. She's not just Bond's lover, she is also involved with the SPECTRE organisation because of her father. SPECTRE will be coming after both her and Bond, hence why she can't just disappear after having a failed relationship with Bond between films.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Here is a third idea: SPECTRE kidnaps Madeline (in the PTS where she is on holiday in Norway with Bond). They send a message to Bond that she will be killed if he doesn't deliver them Blofeld. A very reluctant Bond breaks Blofeld out of jail. Does Madeline survive? I'd probably say yes, but she doesn't have to. She might break up With him at this point because of what he did for her. Then Bond sets out to kill Blofeld and destroy SPECTRE, partly because MI6 now can't trust him. They might even hunt him because they don't know why he freed Blofeld. Bond finds Blofeld in a castle in Japan and we basically get the end of YOLT.
    It's a crazy plot, but it could work and it would be different.

I like it. Certainly more plausible storyline than Spectre. {[]

I agree this sounds like an interesting premise, but didn't Mission Impossible Fallout take a similar path by breaking the master villain out to of prison?
    Number24 wrote:
    One to watch for sure.
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Ralph Fiennes:

Vesper was brought back to Quantum of Solace in memory. All other characters in Craig's Bond films that haven't come back had completed stories. If a main character's story isn't completed, they return. So far in Craig's universe, he has not had a girl to bring back because they had mostly died. The ones that had moved on before the film ended. Forgetting about Madeleine would not be consistent with the way Craig's Bond films do things. She's not just Bond's lover, she is also involved with the SPECTRE organisation because of her father. SPECTRE will be coming after both her and Bond, hence why she can't just disappear after having a failed relationship with Bond between films.
    I mean I get it. I just am being a little petulant child because I didn't really like her at all beyond her aesthetics. I did not like Spectre and hope the next film does not go in that direction but it is clear it will. So more dentist chairs and odd plot lines.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    clublos wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Here is a third idea: SPECTRE kidnaps Madeline (in the PTS where she is on holiday in Norway with Bond). They send a message to Bond that she will be killed if he doesn't deliver them Blofeld. A very reluctant Bond breaks Blofeld out of jail. Does Madeline survive? I'd probably say yes, but she doesn't have to. She might break up With him at this point because of what he did for her. Then Bond sets out to kill Blofeld and destroy SPECTRE, partly because MI6 now can't trust him. They might even hunt him because they don't know why he freed Blofeld. Bond finds Blofeld in a castle in Japan and we basically get the end of YOLT.

I like it. Certainly more plausible storyline than Spectre. {[]

I agree this sounds like an interesting premise, but didn't Mission Impossible Fallout take a similar path by breaking the master villain out to of prison?

Bond isn't known for being original these days.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Number24 wrote:
    I too urge memebers to watch "Blue is the warmest colour" if they admire the esthetics of the female form and are accepting of sapphic love :D

I didn't want Madeline to return either, but since she does I hope they do it in a smart way. Many seem to want her to die in the PTS and Bond spending the rest of the movie revenging her. I think they forget Bond spent most of CR and QoS doing htat story. I want something new!
    One more disadvantage of her coming back is the means the sequel to Blue is the Warmest color will never happen :#
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    The only reason bringing Seydoux back is not the definitive sign that they are out of ideas is because bringing Craig back confirmed that a long time ago.
    edited December 2018
    Someone wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    It's a possibility Blofeld manages to send out a message from prison that he wants Madeleine killed. Partly because she's Mr. White's daughter, but mostly to get revenge on Bond. The move could then be about keeping Madeline alive, not revenging her. There would have to be some other plot line too, one with a grander goal.

The return of Madeleine certainly throws up some interesting possibilities. For the purposes of wild speculation, here's some plot ideas

1. Madeleine is kidnapped and Bond has to spring Blofeld from prison, and then reverse this in the second half of the film.

2. Blofeld escapes prison, Madeleine is kidnapped and Bond blackmailed into carryng out a mission for Spectre, maybe bringing him into conflct with MI6, and then he has to undo the damage in the second half of the film, including save Madeleine.

3. Bond is kidnapped and Madeleine has to carry out a mission for Spectre/spring Blofeld from prison.

4. Blofeld or Spectre is not in the film at all, it's an entirely different villain and Bond is working for the CIA for some reason, and the villain goes after Madeleine in the second half.

5. A more evil villain threatens UK and Bond and Madeleine have to team up with Spectre/Blofeld to defeat this greater threat.

I like 1, 2, 4, other than I don't see why Bond should work for the CIA. Since Fukunaga is the first American Bond director many would see it as the Americanisation of Bond,
    I don't see how Madeleine can spring Blofeld from prison since she doesn't have the job, skills or access to do so. And no threath should be larger than SPECTRE, so teaming up with them because someone else is worse deminishes SPECTRE.
    From Variety Magazine. This story is written by Justin Kroll, not the journalist who had the Linus Sandgren story:

‘Bond 25’: Lea Seydoux Returning to Franchise
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-lea-seydoux-1203084117/

Craig is currently shooting Rian Johnson’s thriller “Knives Out” and Fukunaga is still finishing the “Bond 25” script, but insiders say producers have already begun building out the film’s ensemble. Besides Seydoux, Eon is looking for two other actresses — one would play an MI6 agent that works with Bond and another a mystery women — as well as the Bond villain.

According to insiders, Rami Malek was being eyed for the villain role, but his schedule on the last season of “Mr. Robot,” which shoots from March through July, makes it unlikely that he will be able to take the gig, even if Eon offered him the part.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Maybe Lea will come back like Maud Adams did between THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN and OCTOPUSSY.

We can all just pretend she's a different character even though she looks exactly the same. :))
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Not necessarily. She could feature briefly and die in the PTS but Bond foresakes revenge and is called to action on a separate more important priority and off we go...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Not necessarily. She could feature briefly and die in the PTS but Bond foresakes revenge and is called to action on a separate more important priority and off we go...
    Maybe she will only last the title sequence :))
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    According to insiders, Rami Malek was being eyed for the villain role,

Rami Malek and the actor Danny Boyle wanted Said Taghmaoui are both North African...
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    “My film is trying to honor what he did and finish his run as solidly as possible.” - Cary Fukunaga
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Maybe instead of actually shooting an entire new Bond film, Fukunaga is just going to re-shoot the torture scene from SPECTRE, cleverly omitting the brother gate angle, insert it into the last Bond film, SPECTRE, which they will re-release in 2020. That will save everyone a ton of time and money.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    edited December 2018
    She has a second chance to be a good bond girl. It would be a shame if they killed her at the beginning for the same revenge story they've given us the past 50 years. Of course all of that is secondary if it just succeeds at decent action. Spectre was the first bond since AVTAK that didn't even get that right, the stunts were good but it lacked fight choreography
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Maybe Lea Seydoux can appear in all the Bond films from here on out? When a new 007 is cast she'll be the main link to the past? Kind of like Jane in the Tarzan films when Lex Barker took over from Johnny Weismueller?
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    ggl007 wrote:
    Seeing as La La Land is one of my favorite films this is great news! First man was also wonderfully shot but a completely different style then LLL so I wonder what Bond 25's cinematography will be like.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I agree killing Madeleine early in the film would be very obvious. It's also a problem that he's already had a love of his life killed and then gone on a revenge spree. But if they remain together in the whole film it will force Bond to be faithful too. This isn't 1969 and he can't bed half a dozen women while remaining in love with her. Perhaps she breaks up with him? Perhaps they should get back together again at the end? That would open up for Bond womanizing in act two.

I seriously doubt the plot involves Bond being forced by Spectre to kidnap and return their boss, or keeping Madeleine alive; that's basically the plot of a recent Hollywood blockbuster released in the last 2 years that I won't name for spoilers' sake.

I think an attempt will be made on Madeleine's life in the PTS; she survives, but she and Bond realize that they can't be together so she goes into government hiding... perhaps Felix helps her the way Bond said he'd help Lucia Sciarra? All can play into the larger character arc of Bond who drives away with Madeleine thinking he can be free of it all, but realizes they'll always come after her. Unlike the recent blockbuster I was talking about, her story is complete by the PTS and we presume she'll be safe.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
    Absorbing the recent news, so, the cast we have is; Bond, M, Q, Moneypenny, Madeleine Swann, a female MI6 agent, a mystery woman and a villain who is of North African ethnicity. (BTW where's Tanner?)

Just as Quantum operated in the developing world overthrowing governments, Spectre had a base in Tangiers and now the latest villain rumours suggest they will be of North African ethnicity. Rami Malek and the actor Danny Boyle wanted, Said Taghmaoui, are of North African extraction. Which makes you wonder why we had all that Russian villain and Finnish casting news earlier this year? So, is the mystery woman Irma Bunt and the North African villain, Number Two? With Blofeld stuck in prison?

I wonder if Boyle's cold war angle has been completely thrown out along with Boyle's 'woke' Bond with a female agent. The script will probably be a straight embellishment of the Purvis and Wade treatment, with Fukunaga's input.

What hasn't been thrown out is this female MI6 agent. We heard a rumour about this female agent back in April.
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/942710/James-Bond-25-villain-Daniel-Craig-007-Elektra-King-Rosa-Klebb-Bond-villains

It seeems to me we already have a lot of characters to accompany Bond in Bond25. Swann, the scooby gang, the female MI6 agent. Can Leiter really make an appearence?

Thinking about DC's films, Casino saw him a lone wolf in the first half and then working with Vesper and Mathis in the second half; with a brief Leiter appearence. Quantum saw him start off a lone wolf, then work with Mathis, then with Camille, and a brief Leiter appearence. Skyfall saw him work with Moneypenny for most of the first half of the film, except Shanghai, and then he was with Severin and then in the last third of the film the scooby gang and M herself. In Spectre, he was a lone wolf until he found Madeleine and then they were together for most of the film except for when Bond was with the scooby gang.

So, DC's Bond has for much of his films been accompanied by one or more people. If they don't kill off Madeleine in the PTS, then she'll likely accompany him. I wonder if we're going to get the Hollywood proto-family of Bond, Swann and the young female MI6 agent?

Then again, we maybe making some of these characters more significant than they really are. The North African villain could just be another Steven Obanno, who appears briefly. The MI6 agent could be the new 007 and she dies in the PTS. The mystery woman could be another Solange, who also only appears briefly.
  • James SuzukiJames Suzuki New ZealandPosts: 2,406MI6 Agent
    Or it could go down the MI: Fallout route with Swann already in hiding?
    “The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
    -Casino Royale, Ian Fleming
    Saïd Taghmaoui …… said the writers were deciding between an Arab or Russian villan. The rumours about Rami Malek suggests they have gone for an Arab. An Arab villan makes many of us think of The Union and Le Gérant, but I doubt they will go for a third powerful and mysterious organisation in Craig's tenure. Casting Malek would be great, he's impressive in Mr Robot and everyne says he's amazing in Bohemian Rapsody. Saïd Taghmaoui is filming a wrestling movie, but I hope he's able to do Bond25. I saw him way back in 1995 in La Haine and he's a good actor.

said_392x0.jpg
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Bond does like to copy whatever's popular at the moment (Bourne, The Dark Knight, Marvel) so its quite possible.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Mark strong was very good in Body of Lies as a Syrian security chief???!!!
    edited December 2018
    It's interesting re-reading Said Taghmaaoui's interview in Variety from September (https://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-bond-villain-said-taghmaoui-uncertainty-wonder-woman-1202936261/)
    He claimed the producers were still deciding if the villan should be Russian or North African. BTW: North African doesn't have to mean Arab, I'd say Berber is very possible. If they went for North African the role was his. But then Danny Boyle left Bond25 and everything was uncertain. Then Purvis and Wade seems to have kept some of Hodge's script since they are still using a North African villan. But by now "Bohemian Rapsody" is a success and Rami Malek is impressive in it, making him the favourite. But his Mr Robot scedule destroys his chances. I'd say Said Taghmaaoui's chances look very good now if the wrestling movie "Embattled" messes with his scedule.
    That's a lot of if, probably and seems to, but it makes sense to me.

Two interesting facts about him:

- He was a champion boxer before he became an actor
    - He speak 4 languages; French, Arabic, English and Italian.

said%2Btaghmaoui%2Bshirtless%2B10.png
    Bond does like to copy whatever's popular at the moment (Bourne, The Dark Knight, Marvel) so its quite possible.

IMHO Fallout was a rip off of Skyfall and recreated past Bond stunts for most of its action sequences.

And Fallout didn't even make as much money as Spectre's $880 million.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=missionimpossible6.htm

So, I can't imagine there will be any Studio push for a Fallout remake.