Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    Create a new character, yes. But not for a spin-off. I'd like a to see more female or non-white action and spy heroes, but not by changing Bond or making spin-offs of Bond. In my opinion it's belittling for those groups to think one needs to hijack existing characters or franchises. That's standing on the shoulders of white men - is that what they want? The best thing for everyone is making new characters and new stories where women and non-whites are leading characters.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Create a new character, yes. But not for a spin-off. I'd like a to see more female or non-white action and spy heroes, but not by changing Bond or making spin-offs of Bond. In my opinion it's belittling for those groups to think one needs to hijack existing characters or franchises. That's standing on the shoulders of white men - is that what they want? The best thing for everyone is making new characters and new stories where women and non-whites are leading characters.

I'm not sure anyone accused the 2018 film version of "Black Panther" of belittling Africans, and it was most definitely a spin-off: both of the Fantastic Four comic books and of the Captain America films. But to each his own.

Personally, I'd prefer to have Ryan Coogler direct a movie starring Elba as a non-Bond affiliated spy. It could be a lot more transgressive than anything Eon either could or would do.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone accused the 2018 film version of "Black Panther" of belittling Africans, and it was most definitely a spin-off: both of the Fantastic Four comic books and of the Captain America films. But to each his own.

Black Panther has its own comic book history. I’m not sure it’s fair to call it a spin off.
    Cheverian wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Black Panther has its own comic book history. I’m not sure it’s fair to call it a spin off.

He appeared first in the Fantastic Four comics and was then given his own series and story line(s). That is the definition of a spin-off.
    But I didn't meant to highjack this thread. I was just trying to make a point.

Getting back to Daniel Craig returning to play James Bond....
    Cheverian wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:

He appeared first in the Fantastic Four comics and was then given his own series and story line(s). That is the definition of a spin-off.

That’s fair.
    Black Panther is a spin-off, but in an entire world fullmof spin-offs and heroes. James has always had only one main hero and never any spin-offs. if Black Panther was the first spin-off in the Marvel world and the only reason they made one spin-off in the Marvel universe was the colour of his skin it would be condesending and belittling.
    Dave Batista is cast in Denis Villeneuve's "Dune, and I read shooting starts early this year. The chances of getting Hinx back are slimmer now.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Dave Batista is cast in Denis Villeneuve's "Dune, and I read shooting starts early this year. The chances of getting Hinx back are slimmer now.

Ah damn, I was hoping to see him return. Maybe he still might be able to fit in a few weeks of B25 filming, I haven't seen the original 1984 Dune film or read the novel so I'm not sure if his character features in a considerable part of the film.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I am also disappointed that it looks like Hinx won't be back. I still hold out some hope that we get Jeffrey Wright back as Felix but things have been pretty much crickets on that front.
    Regarding Elba in Bond 25, not looking so much for a character to spin off but just a good juicy supporting role. The idea of Bond reuniting with some of his old SBS comrades always has appealed to me....much better than creating something ridiculous like the foster brother angle with Blofeld. Elba could be a former SBS buddy of Bond whose post SBS life is as a mercenary.
    I have no desire to see Hinx return. I guess I’m in the minority, but I didn’t think he was anything special. His introduction is well done, and that train fight is very exciting, but otherwise he made no impact for me. A squandered opportunity perhaps, but I’d rather see something new than see them try to improve a middling character the second time around.
    HowardB wrote:
    I am also disappointed that it looks like Hinx won't be back. I still hold out some hope that we get Jeffrey Wright back as Felix but things have been pretty much crickets on that front.
    Regarding Elba in Bond 25, not looking so much for a character to spin off but just a good juicy supporting role. The idea of Bond reuniting with some of his old SBS comrades always has appealed to me....much better than creating something ridiculous like the foster brother angle with Blofeld. Elba could be a former SBS buddy of Bond whose post SBS life is as a mercenary.

I absolutely agree. Bond in scuba gear or an unifoirm would be great. Ideally Elba's character dies a heroic death, just to put an end to the silly rumours that he's the next Bond.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I remember people speculating on this site that Seydoux would not be available for the Bond25 shoot because of other work. She's still in it.

I can't find any reference to Dune starting to film early this year.
    https://deadline.com/2019/01/dave-bautista-dune-denis-villenueve-legendary-timothee-chalamet-guardians-of-the-galaxy-1202530763/

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dave-bautista-dune-reboot-1203101834/

Dune has a 31 December 2019 release date, so I guess it is likely to have a first quarter filming start date.
    https://movieweb.com/movie/dune-2019/

Bond is normally a 6-7 month shoot, so from March to September this time. If Dune starts filming next month, for example, Bautista could be done by April or May, leaving June, July, August, September for Bond.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    If we'd get a spin-off I'd prefer a Felix Leiter one, not a new character. But how much I like Wright as Lighter, I doubt if he can carry a whole Leiter adventure on his own. It's at least better then a Jinx one EON thought of in 2002.
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,453Chief of Staff
    I like Wright as Lighter

Yes, he's matchless.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I like Wright as Lighter

Yes, he's matchless.

Sorry, it's still early :#
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
    I can never resist a pun... :D
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited January 2019
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think Idris Elba is a troll at all. He has said on more than one occation that he isn't James Bond and he'll never be James Bond. It's not his fault the media asks him about Bond all the time, it's the (American?) media and the Sony leaks' fault.

Golden Globes - Elba on Bond: "it's not gonna happen"

Question asked at 1 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28HTvj5tJL4

Elba is one of those actors that gets a lot of press/media attention. I dunno if it's because he has a great publicist or what, but he's liked by the media and it's obvious he's enjoyed the attention but his latest comment suggests reality has finally sunk in and he won't be getting the part.

I don't think Daniel Craig got much media attention prior to Bond. Pre Bond I think his only claim to media fame was dating model Kate Moss.
    bonded123 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think Idris Elba is a troll at all. He has said on more than one occation that he isn't James Bond and he'll never be James Bond. It's not his fault the media asks him about Bond all the time, it's the (American?) media and the Sony leaks' fault.

Golden Globes - Elba on Bond: "it's not gonna happen"

Question asked at 1 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28HTvj5tJL4

Elba is one of those actors that gets a lot of press/media attention. I dunno if it's because he has a great publicist or what, but he's liked by the media and it's obvious he's enjoyed the attention but his latest comment suggests reality has finally sunk in and he won't be getting the part.

I don't think Daniel Craig got much media attention prior to Bond. Pre Bond I think his only claim to media fame was dating model Kate Moss.

You're absolutely right that DC was not well known and IMHO the next Bond is unlikely to be well known either. Bond actors start in television, would have had roles in films, but not necessarily leading roles, and were not big names in Hollywood before they became Bond.

Craig was 37 when he was cast, which is the average age of all of the Bond’s when cast, including Craig. The history of Bond actors shows that offers have been made to candidates as young as 22 and people cast as old as 46. Dalton, Connery, Lazenby and Craig were all under 40, and the only actors that were older than 40 when cast had been offered the role previously and been unable to take it up – as opposed to turning it down.

History shows us that, the criteria by which new Bond actors are chosen are, a good catalogue of television and film roles behind them; they cannot be household names worldwide; they are more likely to be in their 30s and, on average, mid-thirties when the film is made; and they will also be British.
    True. the only two who were famous before being cast were RM and PB, and they were famous from TV and not film.
    I've done a little bit of reasearch on the production cost cuts offered by the Norwegian Film Institute. We already know EON applied for the insentives before the deadline of November 27 last year. The deadline is probably the reason why we got confirmation of Norway as a location before anywhere else. I get the impression in most countries film companies can just turn in their applications at the natural stage in the production process, but that would probably be too practical and un-bureaucratic for the Department of Culture. It's worth noting that the instructions to the Film Institute is to give the money to productions with a good potential for attracting large international audiences. I'd say James Bond falls within this category. The insentive program is only a few years old so it's hard to find a pattern, but I get the impression the desicion of what projects get the money will be made public around the first week of February, only 3-4 weeks from now. Hopefully we'll hear of other locations soon too :007)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Craig was 37 when he was cast, which is the average age of all of the Bond’s when cast, including Craig. The history of Bond actors shows that offers have been made to candidates as young as 22 and people cast as old as 46. Dalton, Connery, Lazenby and Craig were all under 40, and the only actors that were older than 40 when cast had been offered the role previously and been unable to take it up – as opposed to turning it down.

Just wondering, but who was offered Bond at 46? I find it odd they would want someone even older than Roger Moore!

On second thought, wasn't Cary Grant offered the role? He would have been 58 when Dr. No started filming. As great as he was in Charade, he was too old for Bond!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    James Brolin was in his 40s (42, 43 I think) while being seriously considered for OP. James Mason was in his 50s at the time of DN, and the usual story is that he would only commit to two films while Eon wanted a three-picture contract.
    It’s interesting that Craig was the third youngest to start playing Bond, and his tenure has spanned the longest. Yet, despite making 2 films in his first 3 years after being cast, his entire run will consist of only five films. That is the context people lack when they bristle at the suggestion Idris (or whomever) is “too old.” It’s obvious to most of us here that the next Bond cannot possibly be any older than 40 when he is cast in order to have a reasonably fruitful tenure.
    Elba is too old, he even says so himself. He's born in 1972, making him 46 and only four years younger than Craig. This means he'll be minimum 50 when Bond26 comes out, but 51 or 52 is more likely. That' really is too old.
    It’s interesting that Craig was the third youngest to start playing Bond, and his tenure has spanned the longest. Yet, despite making 2 films in his first 3 years after being cast, his entire run will consist of only five films. That is the context people lack when they bristle at the suggestion Idris (or whomever) is “too old.” It’s obvious to most of us here that the next Bond cannot possibly be any older than 40 when he is cast in order to have a reasonably fruitful tenure.

Most people who want Idris for Bond aren't Bond fans. They just like the idea of him as Bond but aren't thinking of him in the context of a 10+ year run as Bond.
    Someone wrote:
    people cast as old as 46.
    Matt S wrote:
    Just wondering, but who was offered Bond at 46? I find it odd they would want someone even older than Roger Moore!

On second thought, wasn't Cary Grant offered the role? He would have been 58 when Dr. No started filming. As great as he was in Charade, he was too old for Bond!

CAST.

Cast at 46. Roger Moore was born in October 1927. Checking the precise dates, LALD was released June 1973 so he was 45 and eight months old, but he turned 46 in the October. I recognise he would have been cast in 1972, when he was 45, or maybe 44, and filming would have started then. I was going by film release dates as they're easy to know.

I should have checked my copy of Some Kind of Hero, I just did and it says Moore was announced in August 1972. When he was 44.
    Someone wrote:
    Someone wrote:
    people cast as old as 46.
    Matt S wrote:

CAST.

Cast at 46. Roger Moore was born in October 1927. Checking the precise dates, LALD was released June 1973 so he was 45 and eight months old, but he turned 46 in the October. I recognise he would have been cast in 1972, when he was 45, or maybe 44, and filming would have started then. I was going by film release dates as they're easy to know.

I should have checked my copy of Some Kind of Hero, I just did and it says Moore was announced in August 1972. When he was 44.

I just assumed you had misspoke when you said "cast" because Roger Moore was 44 when cast and 45 throughout the entire production of Live and Let Die and when it was released. I figured you couldn't have been 2 years off!
    Matt S wrote:
    I just assumed you had misspoke when you said "cast" because Roger Moore was 44 when cast and 45 throughout the entire production of Live and Let Die and when it was released. I figured you couldn't have been 2 years off!

I beg forgiveness. :))

It just makes the average age for new Bonds younger.
    Someone wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I beg forgiveness. :))

It just makes the average age for new Bonds younger.

You are forgiven.

What is the average age now if you use the ages the Bond actors were when cast?