Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    edited April 2019
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    If it's true then my worst nightmares have come to take place on the screen in my favourite franchise. Quite possibly the worst idea in the history of Bond films. I'd rather see Bond surf a cgi tsunami again then surf a tsunami of kneejerk #metoo political correctness. Rubbish.

Because there's a woman in it?!

What's going on in this thread?

No, it’s because we are fed up with being force fed PC rubbish that is now being shoehorned into everything with no other reason other than virtue signalling. Making 007 a woman would be pandering to the recent trend of a vocal minority that want the next James Bond to be a woman.

No it **** wouldn't: it's just part of a possible storyline. He had the double 0 number taken away from him before: why weren't you complaining about it being too PC then? Oh I see: because there's a woman in this one. For all we know she's awful in the job or is a baddie.

This is a bit pathetic, chaps. Why are you all scared of women?
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited April 2019
    With the Waller-Bridge thing, it's just another case of picking someone who is flavour of the month. And, if true, it's interesting that Craig was the one to pick her, as that again shows more power than any of the other Bonds had.

Personally, I think she's overrated. I saw three hours of the first series of her sitcom Fleabag and didn't laugh once. There was a dramatic revelation in the final episode, but the rest of it seemed to revolve almost entirely around a miniature headless statue which added nothing to all, while c-words, masturbation and anal sex replaced any actual discernable story. From interviews, Waller-Bridge seems to think she is stating important truths about the lives of wealthy, beautiful, female millenials in London, as though there's some interesting conflict to be had there. If she thinks the life of Fleabag is in some way difficult, then she should go down to her local Food Bank and see what real drama is unfolding there.
    I can picture the new introduction line opposed to: „The name‘s Bond...James Bond.“

From now on it will be: „I'm a Catholic whore, currently enjoying congress out of wedlock with my black Jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic. Hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon.“

(probs to Kingsman)

But seriously, I wouldn’t mind a woman. It‘s just that the idea is bonkers to begin with. All a lot of fans want is a straight forward adventure with Bond being himself on a given assignment and no psychological trauma bullshit and personal ties.
    Is it so hard?

P.S.: As a defender of DAD, I can see a lot of people wishing those times back... :))

DAD? The film where Bond was mentally and physically tortured, suffered psychological after-effects from that; and was disavowed from MI6, with the 007 number taken away from him? That was a straightforward one, was it?
    DavidJones wrote:
    With the Waller-Bridge thing, it's just another case of picking someone who is flavour of the month. And, if true, it's interesting that Craig was the one to pick her, as that again shows more power than any of the other Bonds had.

Personally, I think she's overrated. I saw three hours of the first series of her sitcom Fleabag and didn't laugh once. There was a dramatic revelation in the final episode, but the rest of it seemed to revolve almost entirely around a miniature headless statue which added nothing to the narrative, while c-words, masturbation and anal sex replaced any actual discernable story. From interviews, Waller-Bridge seems to think she is stating important truths about the lives of wealthy, beautiful, female millenials in London, as though there's some interesting conflict to be had there. If she thinks the life of Fleabag is in some way difficult, then she should go down to her local Food Bank and see what real drama is unfolding there.

Killing Eve has 14 Bafta nominations.

Fleabag is brilliant; I'm sorry that you were distracted by its adult content, but it's a stunningly well-written piece, and she's fantastic in it.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I think some have taken the bait and over reacted. Let's look at this a bit more logically. If Waller-Bridge was brought in, it wasn't to re-write the script, but to punch up some of the dialog. The young female MI6 agent thing was rumored a long time ago. It could be true, which doesn't mean it's a bad thing at all or the Daily Mail could have just dusted an old rumor off and connected the dots with the now rumored Waller-Bridge involvement. The whole taking the number thing seems far fetched and is probably a leap taken by the Mail "a young female MI6 agent, she must now be the new 007". 8-) If the young female MI6 agent thing is true, Craig may have felt that the dialogue between Bond and the young female agent was lacking and needed punching up and Waller-Bridge made sense to do that. Other writers have been brought in to punch up dialogue in other Bond films. Calm down and "Man Up" :)) :p
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

No, it’s because we are fed up with being force fed PC rubbish that is now being shoehorned into everything with no other reason other than virtue signalling. Making 007 a woman would be pandering to the recent trend of a vocal minority that want the next James Bond to be a woman.

No it **** wouldn't: it's just part of a possible storyline. He had the double 0 number taken away from him before: why weren't you complaining about it being too PC then? Oh I see: because there's a woman in this one. For all we know she's awful in the job or is a baddie.

Ah, the standard response has arisen. Just because we don’t Like the idea, we must be scared of women 8-) Brilliant.

We are allowed to dislike it you know if we wish. Just as those that don’t like Craig in the role are allowed to moan about that. Or those that find Daltons constant crying annoying.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    I can picture the new introduction line opposed to: „The name‘s Bond...James Bond.“

From now on it will be: „I'm a Catholic whore, currently enjoying congress out of wedlock with my black Jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic. Hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon.“

(probs to Kingsman)

But seriously, I wouldn’t mind a woman. It‘s just that the idea is bonkers to begin with. All a lot of fans want is a straight forward adventure with Bond being himself on a given assignment and no psychological trauma bullshit and personal ties.
    Is it so hard?

P.S.: As a defender of DAD, I can see a lot of people wishing those times back... :))

DAD? The film where Bond was mentally and physically tortured, suffered psychological after-effects from that; and was disavowed from MI6, with the 007 number taken away from him? That was a straightforward one, was it?

I never claimed it was?! Keep your cool, eminem -{
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    The UK newspaper Daily Mail strikes again. It's not Baz Bamigboye, so large pinch of salt needed.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6919481/Fleabag-stars-latest-creation-MeToo-makeover-James-Bond.html
    "The 007 number has been taken up by a new agent – a woman – who embarks on a mission which forces Bond to come out of retirement."

But, I just want to say, CALLED IT!!
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/936000/#p936000 (Possible spoiler)

As for the article's claim that Phoebe Waller-Bridge has worked on the script, from the Fleabag clips I've seen on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fleabag) her stock in trade seems to be, what might be called female friendly saucy banter. That's one way of updating Bond for #metoo, just have the, "as long as the collars and cuffs match," like comments come from a woman.

She is a very smart writer and her involvement would be beneficial. Killing Eve was clever and stylish. My guess is if she is involved it will be for dialogue polishing.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    HowardB wrote:
    I think some have taken the bait and over reacted. Let's look at this a bit more logically. If Waller-Bridge was brought in, it wasn't to re-write the script, but to punch up some of the dialog.:p

Well we don't know that; is it possible she may have come on board months ago?
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Ah, the standard response has arisen. Just because we don’t Like the idea, we must be scared of women 8-) Brilliant.

Mate, if you want to talk about standard responses, why don't we examine the 'virtue signalling' standard response of people, who are presumably sexists, to the idea of a film featuring a woman?
    It's really not virtue signalling to feature a woman in a leading role. Do you remember when the new M was a lady? Are you still angry about that?
    emtiem wrote:

(probs to Kingsman)

Is it so hard?

So why would 'a lot of people be wishing those times back'? What was your point about DAD?
    emtiem wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    I think some have taken the bait and over reacted. Let's look at this a bit more logically. If Waller-Bridge was brought in, it wasn't to re-write the script, but to punch up some of the dialog.:p

Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Mate, if you want to talk about standard responses, why don't we examine the 'virtue signalling' standard response of people, who are presumably sexists, to the idea of a film featuring a woman?
    It's really not virtue signalling to feature a woman in a leading role. Do you remember when the new M was a lady? Are you still angry about that?

I think your going off on one without due course. You are attacking people who don’t agree with you and starting to get mildly aggressive. And completely missing the point we are referring too. It’s the trick of the possibility of them making 007 a woman only that’s making us roll our eyes, not hating it. Having a strong role with a woman in it isn’t what people are disliking at all. I don’t think anybody seems to be angry in this discussion except you.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Asp9mm wrote:

I think your going off on one without due course. You are attacking people who don’t agree with you and starting to get mildly aggressive. And completely missing the point we are referring too. It’s the trick of the possibility of them making 007 a woman only that’s making us roll our eyes, not hating it. Having a strong role with a woman in it isn’t what people are disliking at all. I don’t think anybody seems to be angry in this discussion except you.

I'm not angry; I'm baffled. I think if you have to resort to accusing others of being angry then you're losing the debate.

If you're only rolling your eyes, fine: if you're complaining about being force-fed PC rubbish then you're talking nonsense. We've had women spies in it before; we've talked for months about the possibility that this film would see Bond having left the service. What exactly is the problem with someone else being given the 007 number? I don't see it at all. What are you complaining about?
    emtiem wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

So why would 'a lot of people be wishing those times back'? What was your point about DAD?

Because it still is fully recognizable as a Bond film, despite all the critics.
    And with plot points like the above mentioned, they‘re moving away from the formula further and further.

edited April 2019
    emtiem wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

I'm not angry; I'm baffled. I think if you have to resort to accusing others of being angry then you're losing the debate.

If you're only rolling your eyes, fine: if you're complaining about being force-fed PC rubbish then you're talking nonsense. We've had women spies in it before; we've talked for months about the possibility that this film would see Bond having left the service. What exactly is the problem with someone else being given the 007 number? I don't see it at all. What are you complaining about?

You’ve inferred that I was angry in post 4691, not me, that’s why I mentioned it. So don’t turn that around. You brought that up. And your posts do have an angry tone about them. I’m not alone by far in seeing that.

It’s a mistake to take this any further if you are now going to be rude to people for not liking an idea you have no problem with. We are all different. No one has said you are talking nonesense. Let’s not get personal.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Given the tone of the article I think it's understandable that people are worried.

I'm worried too.

Some people like to watch movies to ESCAPE the political stuff in life, and this article really does scream PC crap. Of course we don't know until we see the film, but I am worried.

Oh well, I'm hoping "The Property Of A Lady" will finally be used as a title from this.

You come from England; presumably you know what the Daily Mail tries to do? Never take the tone of their articles to mean the truth. Just having a female character in a Bond film does not mean they're going to be saying 'me too' all the time: there are always women in Bond films, usually strong women. There's nothing overly 'PC" about that; it's ridiculous to claim otherwise.

I was just saying in terms of the article alone it sounds worrying. But yes, the Daily Mail may be exaggerating or bullcrapping, who knows, I was just saying that what they wrote sounds as if it's all this PC stuff and so I understand why people would be worried.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Re-reading the article, it has lines such as:

"James Bond is too (sic) be given a makeover for the MeToo era by Fleabag"
    "‘Her dialogue is sharp and brilliant. It’s young, it’s fun and it is all about female empowerment. This will be a very modern Bond for the MeToo era.’"

I doubt if anyone here has an issue with one potential story line involving a young female agent being given the 007 designation. If, however, the writing is designed to belittle Bond as a virtue-signalling initiative, we have every right to roll our eyes.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    She is a very smart writer and her involvement would be beneficial.

Absolutely agree... she is a strong talent, that could bring some smart writing and humor to a slightly jaded franchise. I also have no issue with some of the outlined plot-points above, if true. I certainly don't consider anything I've read to be PC... it all sounds interesting to me, so bring it on!
    emtiem wrote:

And with plot points like the above mentioned, they‘re moving away from the formula further and further.

Plot points like Bond not having the 00 number?

Which happened in DAD. :))
    edited April 2019
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

You’ve inferred that I was angry in post 4691, not me, that’s why I mentioned it. So don’t turn that around. You brought that up. And your posts do have an angry tone about them. I’m not alone by far in seeing that.

I see; you can't actually defend your comments then. When you're inferring that having a woman in a film is having PC nonsense rammed down your throat, then you're kind of being rude to half of the population of the planet.

Asp9mm wrote:
    It’s a mistake to take this any further if you are now going to be rude to people for not liking an idea you have no problem with. We are all different. No one has said you are talking nonesense. Let’s not get personal.

I should respect you for being different when you're complaining about a woman being different? I see. I think you've missed a massive irony in your own thoughts there.
    I was just saying in terms of the article alone it sounds worrying. But yes, the Daily Mail may be exaggerating or bullcrapping, who knows, I was just saying that what they wrote sounds as if it's all this PC stuff and so I understand why people would be worried.

It may not have anything to do with being PC at all. Like other things in the current Bond films, some changes are just realistically reflective of the times. The other thing is, if it didn't come from Baz, it's bull. :)
    Re-reading the article, it has lines such as:

"James Bond is too (sic) be given a makeover for the MeToo era by Fleabag"
    "‘Her dialogue is sharp and brilliant. It’s young, it’s fun and it is all about female empowerment. This will be a very modern Bond for the MeToo era.’"

I doubt if anyone here has an issue with one potential story line involving a young female agent being given the 007 designation. If, however, the writing is designed to belittle Bond as a virtue-signalling initiative, we have every right to roll our eyes.

It's the Daily Mail: they write this stuff in order to smoke out other scary right wing white men so they can all complain about how it was better before the blacks and the women started being allowed to do things together.
    Who are they actually quoting with that 'empowerment' stuff? Do you really think it's a 'source'?
    HowardB wrote:

It may not have anything to do with being PC at all. Like other things in the current Bond films, some changes are just realistically reflective of the times. The other thing is, if it didn't come from Baz, it's bull. :)

Yeah, it's really not ridiculously PC to have a woman in MI6.

Imagine a female MI6 agent being sent on a mission by a female M after Bond has had his 00 number taken away. 'Me Too' PC nonsense being rammed down our throats? Or Die Another Day? :))

I really hope some of the people commenting on this weren't the types who were complaining about Captain Marvel recently. That was just scary. And no, I'm not going to respect other people for having different opinions when their opinions are sexist or prejudiced.
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    It's amazing how these rumors and they way they are written bring out the creeps and misogynists 8-) I'm not talking about those here necessarily, just a general observation of comments floating around.... sad ?:)
    emtiem wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

You really don‘t get it. By „staight-forward“ I meant Bond is given an assignment and does his voodoo under the employment of her majesty’s government. No rouge, no trauma, no drama...

The refference to DAD just means that people will wish for what was long considered the worst time of Bond once we should be getting PC (in form of MeToo, etc.) with number 25.

emtiem wrote:

You really don‘t get it. By „staight-forward“ I meant Bond is given an assignment and does his voodoo under the employment of her majesty’s government. No rouge, no trauma, no drama...

The refference to DAD just means that people will wish for what was long considered the worst time of Bond once we should be getting PC (in form of MeToo, etc.) with number 25.

I don't think you get it: you're saying people would wish for DAD instead of a film that doesn't have a straightforward Bond formula, but DAD had Bond going rogue and working on his own, getting traumatised by torture; and if the idea of PC stuff upsets you, it had a tough and capable female MI6 agent being sent on a mission by a tough and capable female M. Do you get it yet?
    MarkOOMark wrote:
    It's amazing how these rumors and they way they are written bring out the creeps and misogynists 8-) I'm not talking about those here necessarily, just a general observation of comments floating around.... sad ?:)

It's terrifying.
    edited April 2019
    emtiem wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

I don't think you get it: you're saying people would wish for DAD instead of a film that doesn't have a straightforward Bond formula, but DAD had Bond going rogue and working on his own, getting traumatised by torture; and if the idea of PC stuff upsets you, it had a tough and capable female MI6 agent being sent on a mission by a tough and capable female M. Do you get it yet?

Ay, one last try: I said people will wish for an invisible car or tsunami surfing, once Bond dives into complex waters such as metoo, etc. Simply because such motives don‘t belong in an action adventure (the slow the film down and don‘t add anything unique to the plot.

Yes, I know Bond went rouge in DAD, but a lot of people don‘t want that in B25, probably because half of DC‘s tenure consisted of that.

B25 ideally should feature Bond simply fulfilling a given assignment.
    So no Bond who goes rougue, suffers from childhood trauma of old age (so basically all the motives post CR).

This means: a movie like Dr. No, FRWL, TB, YOLT, OP, AVTAK, TND and many others. That is want I want DC‘s send-off to be.

I can't believe a blurb in a Brit Tab that generally lacks any credibility has triggered this kind of almost unhinged response.
    If there really is a female MI6 agent in Bond 25 what does that have to do with PC or Me Too? The author of that blurb obviously used
    certain words and phrases to provoke extreme responses.
  • Arbogast777Arbogast777 Minneapolis Posts: 252MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I can't believe a blurb in a Brit Tab that generally lacks any credibility has triggered this kind of almost unhinged response.

Oh, I can believe it B-)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    I take a few hours off and miss all this.

As ever, please try and avoid making arguments personal. Use PMs if you have to.