Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,818MI6 Agent
    I think Bond25 has great potential, bot to be good and to be bad. Will it be a mess of turtured past, more Brothergate and trying to copy OHMSS? Or will we get something new and interesting that's also very Bondian? We don't know yet.
  • Arbogast777Arbogast777 Minneapolis Posts: 252MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Bond25 has great potential, bot to be good and to be bad. Will it be a mess of turtured past, more Brothergate and trying to copy OHMSS? Or will we get something new and interesting that's also very Bondian? We don't know yet.

So the movie could be either good or bad, but we don't know yet. Interesting perspective...

6468-DE8-A-F7-EC-4-CB8-BBC6-470578280-EE1.gif
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,818MI6 Agent
    I think it has greater potential in both ways than most Bond movies, I somehow don't think it'll be average.

An article in the newspaper Morgenbladet about the carbon footprint of movies claims the scenes shot in Norway for Bond25 will be shown as Austria in the movie. I e-mailed the journalist, but he replied the claim was based on speculations.

https://morgenbladet.no/kultur/2019/04/filmbransjen-vil-granske-sitt-klimaavtrykk-da-er-ordningen-som-plasserer-james-bond-i
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

So the movie could be either good or bad, but we don't know yet. Interesting perspective...

Yes... The possibilities! It could also be a long film or a shorter film. Maybe bond will drink a martini but he might not. It's fun to speculate without anything to speculate on.

6468-DE8-A-F7-EC-4-CB8-BBC6-470578280-EE1.gif
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Bond 25 has the potential to go in any direction, it could be a brilliant entry into the catalogue, or become another nsna, I also wonder how of us might leave the cinema just thinking its OK but Meh!
    I'm sure some will get more out of it than others, as usual it will polarise opinion, if nothing else the locations and direction should be excellent.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,729MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Bond 25 has the potential to go in any direction, it could be a brilliant entry into the catalogue, or become another nsna, I also wonder how of us might leave the cinema just thinking its OK but Meh!
    I'm sure some will get more out of it than others, as usual it will polarise opinion, if nothing else the locations and direction should be excellent.

I'm going to hazed a guess that the one thing we can all agree on... is that we'd like a normal gunbarrel sequence at the beginning...? :)
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Does anyone else find themself more excited for Bond 26 than Bond 25? I’m sure I’ll feel differently if / when Bond 25 picks up some positive momentum.

I'm in that boat. Spectre was a fine ending to Daniel Craig's Bond. Whatever they do, be it Blofeld's escape or revenge, Madeliene's death or getting the write off like a normal Bond girl, Bond having amnesia after torture even though he was fine in the last parts of Spectre. It will just be kind of lame to me.

They wrapped up Craig's Bond films in a very sloppy but still functional way. That was his first real Bond blueprint movie. He should consider himself lucky as no other Bond actor really got to go out on a good note.

Connery? Diamonds Are Forever isn't really good compared to his classic first five movies. And as much as I like Never Say Never Again and it is better than Diamonds Are Forever. Never Say Never Again is a remake and not considered an official Bond movie.

Lazenby? Never got to have his revenge movie after On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Moore? Even though I like A View to a Kill. It really isn't his best or leaving on a high note.

Dalton? I like Licence to Kill. But you would think his final Bond movie would be with him having his Licence to Kill and not being on a personal revenge mission. Still I think Dalton got away without making a bad Bond movie. And had good Bond endings unlike Lazenby.

Brosnan? Die Another Day. I don't need to say much else. Pretty much one of the worst Bond movies.
    I've never been excited about another Craig film. I've enjoyed all his movies but felt Spectre ended on a fine note and have always wanted to move onto something new.

I'm ready for the reboot too. I'm surprised they aren't rebooting it after all these delays. And I'm not a person that always looks for something new. But I think they need to restart it again. And this time get an actor and director signed up for three to five movies. Then get the release timeline and plot outlines set for those movies. No more Spectre magic stuff getting tied together. Kids in High School and College could put together better story lines than that.
    "Better late than never."
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Does anyone else find themself more excited for Bond 26 than Bond 25? I’m sure I’ll feel differently if / when Bond 25 picks up some positive momentum.

I'm in that boat. Spectre was a fine ending to Daniel Craig's Bond. Whatever they do, be it Blofeld's escape or revenge, Madeliene's death or getting the write off like a normal Bond girl, Bond having amnesia after torture even though he was fine in the last parts of Spectre. It will just be kind of lame to me.

They wrapped up Craig's Bond films in a very sloppy but still functional way. That was his first real Bond blueprint movie. He should consider himself lucky as no other Bond actor really got to go out on a good note.

Connery? Diamonds Are Forever isn't really good compared to his classic first five movies. And as much as I like Never Say Never Again and it is better than Diamonds Are Forever. Never Say Never Again is a remake and not considered an official Bond movie.

Lazenby? Never got to have his revenge movie after On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Moore? Even though I like A View to a Kill. It really isn't his best or leaving on a high note.

Dalton? I like Licence to Kill. But you would think his final Bond movie would be with him having his Licence to Kill and not being on a personal revenge mission. Still I think Dalton got away without making a bad Bond movie. And had good Bond endings unlike Lazenby.

Brosnan? Die Another Day. I don't need to say much else. Pretty much one of the worst Bond movies.
    I've never been excited about another Craig film. I've enjoyed all his movies but felt Spectre ended on a fine note and have always wanted to move onto something new.

I'm ready for the reboot too. I'm surprised they aren't rebooting it after all these delays. And I'm not a person that always looks for something new. But I think they need to restart it again. And this time get an actor and director signed up for three to five movies. Then get the release timeline and plot outlines set for those movies. No more Spectre magic stuff getting tied together. Kids in High School and College could put together better story lines than that.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Perhaps the biggest upside going forward is that Nolan didn’t get embroiled in the back end of the Craig years. They should bring him in to cast Bond and come up with a three-film arc. I think he could do something special if he had the proper measure of control.

The fact that there is still more hype over who will be taking over for Craig than there is for a film that is now in production is telling. People are tired of Craig. Even many people here who have enjoyed his films (including me). As near as I can tell, the only people who are genuinely excited for another DC Bond are the Craig cosplayers.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Well......some people on the AJB are tired of Craig (and the long waits between films). I don't think that necessarily applies to the general public who have embraced Craig as Bond. Personally, I'm just excited to have another Bond film. I was fine with Craig coming back but would have also embraced the idea of a new Bond. The process and anticipation of a new Bond being chosen and what direction the films might go is an adventure unto itself and is part of being a lifelong Bond fan. For the general public, probably not so much. As much as EON/Barbara love Craig, IMO, his returning for one more probably had some serious business implications relative to cutting the best deal with a new distributor who may have balked at recasting. Unfortunately for the serious Bond fan, the disappointment that was SPECTRE has certainly taken a bit of the bloom off the rose. SPECTRE was not a case of a Bond actor doing one film too many, but a director doing one Bond film too many and the producers enabling it. What I hope is that Bond 25 is an opportunity for Craig to go out on a high note and EON to redeem themselves for SPECTRE. After being a big Bond fan for 55 out of my 61 years, I guess I just can't help but continue to get geeked up for the next Bond film...it's just part of my DNA and in this messy world gives me a nice little light coming from the end of the tunnel.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Well......some people on the AJB are tired of Craig (and the long waits between films). I don't think that necessarily applies to the general public who have embraced Craig as Bond. Personally, I'm just excited to have another Bond film. I was fine with Craig coming back but would have also embraced the idea of a new Bond. The process and anticipation of a new Bond being chosen and what direction the films might go is an adventure unto itself and is part of being a lifelong Bond fan. For the general public, probably not so much. As much as EON/Barbara love Craig, IMO, his returning for one more probably had some serious business implications relative to cutting the best deal with a new distributor who may have balked at recasting. Unfortunately for the serious Bond fan, the disappointment that was SPECTRE has certainly taken a bit of the bloom off the rose. SPECTRE was not a case of a Bond actor doing one film too many, but a director doing one Bond film too many and the producers enabling it. What I hope is that Bond 25 is an opportunity for Craig to go out on a high note and EON to redeem themselves for SPECTRE. After being a big Bond fan for 55 out of my 61 years, I guess I just can't help but continue to get geeked up for the next Bond film...it's just part of my DNA and in this messy world gives me a nice little light coming from the end of the tunnel.

The media has made the public want a new Bond. That's what the public are still talking about, not Bond 25. After Daniel Craig said he'd slash his wrists, the media have on more about a new Bond. And with the media talking about Idris Elba as the next Bond for a decade now, the people who have never seen a Bond film are still waiting for that. Even after Craig's replacement is cast, people will be saying it should have been Idris. And when the next Bond actor's Bond film comes out, people will be saying either "this guy is going to make us forget Idris Elba" or "Idris would have done a better job". With the way the media talks about who the next Bond will be, I feel like Daniel Craig has already been forgotten.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    The media has made the public want a new Bond. That's what the public are still talking about, not Bond 25.

Absolutely this. IMO the public has largely moved on from Craig, and I sense Bond 25 will have much less buzz around it compared to the other films.
    Fukunaga in Matera...

05-D2087-E-20-D3-489-C-B85-F-09593-DFCDF98.jpg
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    The media has made the public want a new Bond. That's what the public are still talking about, not Bond 25.

Absolutely this. IMO the public has largely moved on from Craig, and I sense Bond 25 will have much less buzz around it compared to the other films.

And because of this, a press conference about Bond 25 needs to happen very soon. The media needs to be talking more about Bond 25 for it to be a success and stop talking about Craig like he's already out of the role. But it may be too late. The public's fascination with Idris Elba along with Daniel Craig's "slash my wrists" comment have made people move past Daniel Craig. EON needs to give the people a steady stream of things to be excited about to help this film be a success. They don't owe it to us, but they need to steer the press in the right direction to focus on the present and not on the Bond series after Craig is gone.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    And because of this, a press conference about Bond 25 needs to happen very soon.

Which worries me that he is apparently still location scouting in Matera - it doesn't look like that press conference or the start of shooting is happening in the immediate future...
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    Google Trends disagrees that the public has lost interest in James Bond. Here's a snapshot of searches in the UK. There's a dip, for sure, but that is always the case between films, and in fact the interest was even lower back before "Skyfall." Is this definitive? Of course not. But it's based on real numbers as opposed to a generalized sense from one's own point of view.

James-Bond-Explore-Google-Trends.jpg
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

Well a new Bond to argue about, defend and decry would make it more exciting.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Cheverian wrote:
    Google Trends disagrees that the public has lost interest in James Bond.

What we're saying though is that the public has lost interest in Craig and Bond 25, not James Bond in general.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    edited April 2019
    Cheverian wrote:
    Google Trends disagrees that the public has lost interest in James Bond.

What we're saying though is that the public has lost interest in Craig and Bond 25, not James Bond in general.

Right. I wonder how many of those queries concern re-casting Bond?

And I only partly agree with Matt. There’s no denying that the media has pushed the Idris Elba narrative, but EON and Craig are also equally to blame because they’ve allowed those narratives to fester by languishing for years after Spectre. They also chose to end Spectre on a note that clearly signaled Craig was done. This is a problem largely of EON’s making. The media has just filled the void with nonsense. Three years ago I’d have agreed with the assumption that Craig has been very marketable as Bond in the past so it will be the same this time. I no longer see this as a guarantee.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    You can use Google Trends to search for Daniel Craig or for Daniel Craig and James Bond, and (based upon what I have found) you will not find any great fall off in interest.

(And yes, one can find numbers to bolster any argument, no matter how tendentious.)

My larger point is that when we presume to know what other people want, especially masses of people, and even more masses of people living in different places, we tend to fall into error.

For my part I have zero idea of how Bond 25 will fare critically and at the box office. I am comfortable admitting that.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    You can use Google Trends to search for Daniel Craig or for Daniel Craig and James Bond, and (based upon what I have found) you will not find any great fall off in interest.

(And yes, one can find numbers to bolster any argument, no matter how tendentious.)

My larger point is that when we presume to know what other people want, especially masses of people, and even more masses of people living in different places, we tend to fall into error.

For my part I have zero idea of how Bond 25 will fare critically and at the box office. I am comfortable admitting that.

I have no crystal ball, but IMO, unless Bond 25 is a really poor film, it will more than likely do well. If it it well reviewed, it will do exceedingly well, even for a Bond film which would be mega box office. These days, besides being an iconic cultural event, a Bond film is a nice respite from all the super hero stuff. Bond spans generations and countries. Who knows, the long gap could be beneficial as sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder. :)
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Google Trends disagrees that the public has lost interest in James Bond. Here's a snapshot of searches in the UK. There's a dip, for sure, but that is always the case between films, and in fact the interest was even lower back before "Skyfall." Is this definitive? Of course not. But it's based on real numbers as opposed to a generalized sense from one's own point of view.

Love science, hate Haters.

BTW as of 06:49 UTC today 007.com is down...!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:

Love science, hate Haters.

BTW as of 06:49 UTC today 007.com is down...!

007.com working fine for me!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Apparently filming is delayed by 4 weeks already 8-)
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Ugh. Well you can probably assume then that, unless there's going to be some green screen or CGI face swapping, the principal cast aren't going to be in any snow scenes this time around—by the time they get around to filming, winter will be long gone in the northern hemisphere.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Ugh. Well you can probably assume then that, unless there's going to be some green screen or CGI face swapping, the principal cast aren't going to be in any snow scenes this time around—by the time they get around to filming, winter will be long gone in the northern hemisphere.

Was we even expecting them to be in snow scenes?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:

They can easily recreate snow.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 361MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Where did you here that?!?! :#
    Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Lea Seydoux started filming something else yesterday. Of course, if it's a typical low budget indy effort she could be finished in 30 days. Or maybe her role in Bond 25 is really small.

https://www.cineuropa.org/en/newsdetail/347751/
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    FFS 8-) :#
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    JTM wrote:

They can easily recreate snow.

Yeah I guess that's true—film production work can pull off some amazing things. For shots on a smaller scale they could easily make the immediate area look like the middle of winter. It'd be a bit difficult for a scene with a scale like this though:

Spectre-Austria-planecrash-575.jpg