Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    I always thought "Q" had a name like Major Boothroyd. He is called it by M in Dr No and Anya Amasova in TSWLM.

Surely the "Q" just stands for quartermaster, or "Q" Branch.

I know in the 70's plain army cars were referred to as Q cars.

Does anyone know what Ben Whishaws character's name is?

Does he hold an army rank?

These are things I would like the filmakers to explore.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Was Silva gay/bi or was he just trying to get a reaction from 007?
    Yes. Considerably!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It's not just because Ben Whishaw is gay, it's because he himself said in an interveiw that he would like to see a gay character in the Bond films.

What’s that got to do with Q then? If he said that at all (and I haven’t seen him quoted in an interview) it’s a bit of a leap to start talking about Q being gay.
    ichaice wrote:
    Was Silva gay/bi or was he just trying to get a reaction from 007?

It’s hard to know: he definitely used it to try and make Bond uncomfortable and then turned it off as soon as it was apparent it wasn’t working. But to be honest I thought Le Chiffre gave off more in the way of genuine gay vibes than Silva did: he seems rather taken by Bond at several points in the movie.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,842MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    It's not just because Ben Whishaw is gay, it's because he himself said in an interveiw that he would like to see a gay character in the Bond films.

What’s that got to do with Q then? If he said that at all (and I haven’t seen him quoted in an interview) it’s a bit of a leap to start talking about Q being gay.

The chat was mostly about other characters.
    Number24 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

The chat was mostly about other characters.

I was talking about the chat about Q: nine or ten posts in that particular chat. Mostly about Q.
  • Arbogast777Arbogast777 Minneapolis Posts: 252MI6 Agent
    Re: Silva's sexuality -

Javier Bardem’s “Skyfall” villain doesn’t appear until almost an hour into the film, but he’s given quite an entrance. After regaling a captive James Bond (Daniel Craig) with a story about cannibal rats (true), Bardem’s Silva begins lasciviously flirting with 007. Bond’s quick retort: “What makes you think this is my first time?”

The scene raised eyebrows at early “Skyfall” press screenings because of the implication that the dashing MI6 agent is bisexual. According to screenwriter John Logan, however, that isn’t the case.

“Some people claim it’s because I’m, in fact, gay but not true at all,” Logan told THR at the New York premiere of the film, held by Tribeca Film Institute. “Sam and I were discussing, there were so many scenes where Bond goes mano-a-mano with the villain, whether it’s Dr. No or Goldfinger or whatever, and there’s been so many ways to do a cat-and-mouse and intimidate Bond, and we thought, what would truly make the audience uncomfortable is sexual intimidation; playing the sort of homoerotic card that is sort of always there subtextually with characters like Scaramanga in ‘Man With the Golden Gun’ or ‘Dr. No.’ So we just decided that we should play the card and enjoy it.”

When asked about the moment last month, star Craig shot down any thought of Silva being bisexual.

“What are you going to do?” Craig said at a press conference for the film. “I don’t see the world in sexual divisions.” Craig then added that while some have suggested Bardem’s Silva might be homosexual, he didn’t agree. “I’m like, I think he’ll f—k anything.”

For his part, Bardem has kept the sexual preference of his villain oblique.

“You could read it that way,” Bardem said to EW.com when asked about Silva’s sexuality. “That option was there in the script. The word that [director Sam Mendes] kept using was ‘uncomfortableness’. Beyond the sexuality, he wanted it to feel like you don’t know if Silva’s joking or not.”
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,505Chief of Staff
    Q as played by Desmond Llewelyn (and Peter Burton in DN) was indeed called Major Boothroyd. His private life is barely hinted at, but he does mention having children in DAF and clearly is enjoying the attentions of several young ladies in OP ("Later, perhaps").
    I would not be at all surprised if the current Q is also called Boothroyd, with possibly Geoffrey as his first name. In fact I'd be disappointed if he isn't.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,547MI6 Agent
    I'm amazed there hasn't been a long post trail of comments about DC's hair. I seem to remember lots of posts about his hair in Skyfall and Spectre on the Bond25 topics and if it was too long or too short, and yet no great debate about DC's hair in the Bond25 pictures seen so far. Maybe this should be in the spoiler news thread, but DC's hair seems longer IMHO, with a bit more of a quiff.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    I'm amazed there hasn't been a long post trail of comments about DC's hair. I seem to remember lots of posts about his hair in Skyfall and Spectre on the Bond25 topics and if it was too long or too short, and yet no great debate about DC's hair in the Bond25 pictures seen so far. Maybe this should be in the spoiler news thread, but DC's hair seems longer IMHO, with a bit more of a quiff.

Looks nearly identical to how it looked in Spectre to me, albeit with more grey. The hair and makeup artist from Skyfall and Spectre is back, so not much surprise to see this continuity in Bond’s look.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

Just gotta ask: How is the length of DCs hair gonna spoil anything? :))
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    Just gotta ask: How is the length of DCs hair gonna spoil anything? 

Oh, I can top that with:

WHO CARES WHAT HIS HAIR LOOKS LIKE!?
    WHO CARES WHAT HIS HAIR LOOKS LIKE!?

www.danielcraigisnotbond.com ?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just a point on hair, if Bond has been taking it easy, he may
    Have let his hair grow a little longer.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Barbel wrote:

Fair point.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

Definitely a bit longer. I'd say in between QoS and SP.
    I think that it looks pretty good there really hasn't been much to discuss regarding his hair this time. Now had he been wearing a mullet or completely shaved like Felix's, there may be more debate.
    I think he looks great so far, though.
    ...and if I'm not mistaken, that's a mango she's holding.

"Underneath the mango tree...."

Full circle...?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Errr, I hate to argue with men in skirts, but that‘s a fresh coconut that she‘s having in her hand.
    And she‘s under a coco palm.

Now waiting for a nut song to full the circle :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Errr, I hate to argue with men in skirts, but that‘s a fresh coconut that she‘s having in her hand.

No, it isn't!!!

Mango: trek.jpg

Coconut: 19956035-10211087882525215-6824055758599374443-o.jpg
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

No, it isn't!!!

Looks like a coconut to me. And that's a coconut tree.
    If she has one green nut in one hand and another green nut in the other,
    what does she have ?

Total control over the incredible Hulk !! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It's a mango.
    :)) :)) :))
    you'd know if you've been Mango-ed :D
    This is how we spend our time instead of discussing the title of Bond25, as we thought we would at this time :#
    Barbel wrote:
    It's a mango.

Kind of funny we're arguing about this; but that's what a coconut looks like! Mangos are smaller and often reddish and more elongated. Plus they're soft and not, y'know: nutty!

Some coconuts, yesterday :D :
    fresh_green_coconuts_box_of_12_1024x1024.jpg?v=1528461941

Plus she says she has been 'waiting for it to drop'. If she was waiting under a coconut tree for a mango she picked a funny spot! :)
    Perhaps we could set up a poll ? ;)